Bills trade for Vikings QB Matt Cassel

Morrissey

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buffalo has a very good defense, a dynamic RB, a potential stud in Sammy Watkins and now a QB that can manage a game.    They definitely have improved over night.  Lets see if Rex can coach them well enough.

Everything going on up in BUF just confirms how much influence Ryan had in

personnel moves with us.  All of the crap the media tried to feed us about how

"Ryan was sabotaged by the front office" and how "he didn't have the talent"

was garbage.  What our roster became was a total reflection on Ryan and what

he wanted

Exactly, Like the 2009 Jets, as I said.

The interesting this is Manuel. Bills are giving up on him after 2 years. A first round draft pick too.

I guess we'll find out in camp....if he outplays Cassell then he'll get the job.  Just a solid enough move to bring in a vet to compete.  Heard it's a 3rd rounder which would be surprising IMO.

Exactly, Like the 2009 Jets, as I said.

The interesting this is Manuel. Bills are giving up on him after 2 years. A first round draft pick too.

No they're not. Manuel will be starting by week 5 if he doesn't beat out Cassell in TC and preseason.

Cassell was one of if not the worst qb available. Sanchez is better and wouldn't have cost a draft pick

Everything going on up in BUF just confirms how much influence Ryan had in

personnel moves with us. All of the crap the media tried to feed us about how

"Ryan was sabotaged by the front office" and how "he didn't have the talent"

was garbage. What our roster became was a total reflection on Ryan and what

he wanted

Shame on Rex getting the best RB in the game and upgrading his QB. Shame. On. Him.

AFCE getting stronger. Jets still sucking big donkey dick.

Show me how the bills got better? Cassell stinks, McCoy is just a younger version of Fred Jackson or Spiller. Kiko was a good player for he bills he's now in philly

And we still don't know what's happening to jerry Hughes.

Show me how the bills got better? Cassell stinks, McCoy is just a younger version of Fred Jackson or Spiller.

Cassell >> Orton and Manuel

McCoy >> every RB in the league

3rd best D in the league without Kiko and now they have a great Head Coach

Pretty simple really.

You Ryan apologists are funny because if the Jets picked up Cassel you would

be crying bloody murder and calling Maccagnan an idiot!!!  But now because

"Mr. Buffalo" picked him up it's a coup, give me a break

be crying bloody murder and calling Maccagnan an idiot!!! But now because

Id be happy with Matt Moore so yeah Cassell would have been welcomed too.

The Jets have the worst QB and roster in the league. Upgrades are cool.

be crying bloody murder and calling Maccagnan an idiot!!!  But now because

Far from a coup, but an upgrade and smart move to bring in a vet who has had some success.  No big name QB's available so teams gotta' do what they can.  Same thing with the Jets..I'd love them to bring in a franchise QB but that's not gonna' happen.  If they sign Matt Moore, great...an upgrade is an upgrade...but I'd prefer Glennon.

Cassell >> Orton and Manuel

McCoy >> every RB in the league

3rd best D in the league without Kiko and now they have a great Head Coach

Pretty simple really.

Pretty much, except McCoy is probably top 5, not #1.

That said, it's not going to be easy to win games in the AFC East this season. Not that it ever is, but it's going to be a tough division.

No they're not. Manuel will be starting by week 5 if he doesn't beat out Cassell in TC and preseason.

Cassell was one of if not the worst qb available. Sanchez is better and wouldn't have cost a draft pick

What would give you the idea that Manual is not the second worst QB in the league??

Why would you think Manual could beat out anyone except Geno, who is the worst QB there is.

Pretty much, except McCoy is probably top 5, not #1.

That said, it's not going to be easy to win games in the AFC East this season. Not that it ever is, but it's going to be a tough division.

I'm more than confident the Jets don't win a single AFCE game. Maybe they sneak one from the Dolphags. Maybe.

Buffalo is being smart and proactive in these moves.  They are filling holes.  They will still fail due to their head coach and terrible group of assistants but they have a vet QB in a fairly barren land of QB's.

Agree. Jokes aside - and they may very well still win only 5 games for all we know - on paper their roster is noticeably better than it was before FA begins.

1. Incognito hasn't played in a while, but he was an above-average guard when he last was on the field. Buffalo's guards were even more of an embarrassment than the 2014 Jets' guards. I don't know how much of an improvement he will be - perhaps none at all - but they didn't get worse, he's dirt cheap, and he may be really good again.

2. Bad as Cassell has been, he is experienced and it's better than just handing the job to EJ Manuel after 2 awful seasons out of 2. It's ancient history in NFL years, but he's had success before and Buffalo isn't devoid of receiving talent.

3. McCoy, if the trade actually goes through, is a massive upgrade for them as well. If they need to clear cap space to justify McCoy, they could always cut Fred Jackson (saves $2.7M) and/or Dixon (saves $930K) and draft someone late. Or just ask Fred to take a $1M cut and relegate him to 3rd down back to save McCoy a little, since there won't be much of a market for him at age 34. Also technically they do save $1.4M of 2016 cap space on Alonso (this year it looks like a wash cap-wise; saves an insignificant amount).

4. The defense carries over as-is from 2014 (Alonso didn't play last year anyway, and they couldn't make better arrangements this time around, since his 2014 injury happened July 1 after the heart of FA, and the draft, were long over).

But in today's NFL, any team with a bad QB situation can still lose double-digit games no matter what else they have (even if everyone'e healthy).

What would give you the idea that Manual is not the second worst QB in the league??

Why would you think Manual could beat out anyone except Geno, who is the worst QB there is.

Yeah you guys got me. Matt Cassell is so good that's why 75,000 Chiefs fans were cheering him getting injured in 2012.

McCoy is not that good he had 4.2 ypc and 5 touchdowns last year playing in an offense specifically built for him. He did not explode through the hole. Kelly got rid of him for a reason. Best running back/top 5 my ass.

Do your homework gentlemen.

I hate to say this but there are not many viable options for QB in the FA or even via the draft that can make a very positive impact this season. Now i am sure people might drop in a few names but it's not like Peyton Manning in his prime is available on the FA market and there are no Andrew Luck's in the draft.

So whatever option a team chooses there will be question marks surrounding it. I won't mind JETS paying to get a solid backup, a backup who is interested in pushing for the starting job and not just want to collect a paycheck.

Not a bad move by the Bills.

Yeah you guys got me. Matt Cassell is so good that's why 75,000 Chiefs fans were cheering him getting injured in 2012.

McCoy is not that good he had 4.2 ypc and 5 touchdowns last year playing in an offense specifically built for him. He did not explode through the hole. Kelly got rid of him for a reason. Best running back/top 5 my ass.

Do your homework gentlemen.

Specifically built for him, was it?

Who totally sucks.

That is a relative word is it not?  Is he better than Manuel?  Is he better than the other half a dozen QB's you have said sucked the last few weeks?  It's the classic beggars can't be chosers scenario.  right now the Jets are worse off than the Bills.  Geno Smith sucks worse than a good number of these jag awful vet qbs.

I've got McCoy in a keeper league anyone have a view on his fantasy outlook as a Bill?

Looks alright, the Cassel signing is a positive as it guarantees a lot of carries for McCoy.

He has a lot of mileage, but never suffered any major injuries either. 

Archived