Realistically how many corners do we need to aquire in the offseason?

bealeb319

We have Milliner and McDougle who need to prove they can stay healthy but in theory could be starters (I know theories count for nothing) Williams who was an undrafted free agent last year played very well when he was given that chance (no I don't think we should rely on him being an all pro) but surely he deserves a shot to show what he can do. I think realistically we would be alright signing Cromartie and then drafting another corner in round three or 4. my number is add 2 corners in this off season and get rid of Wilson... thoughts?

We have Milliner and McDougle who need to prove they can stay healthy but in theory could be starters (I know theories count for nothing) Williams who was an undrafted free agent last year played very well when he was given that chance (no I don't think we should rely on him being an all pro) but surely he deserves a shot to show what he can do. I think realistically we would be alright signing Cromartie and then drafting another corner in round three or 4. my number is add 2 corners in this off season and get rid of Wilson... thoughts?

Get rid of Wilson, move McDougle into slot coverage.  Keep Williams and Milliner for depth. Sign Jackson, Cro and McCourty(McCourty might be too costly, if so get Moore).  Resign Harris, Sign one OLB (Not sure who to go for here).  Done on Defense for FA.  Draft another CB and OLB.

I'm not sold on Milliner ever being healthy and due to that he can be a backup until he can stay healthy and prove he is better than Jackson or Cro.  I think McDougle will stay healthy and can excel in the slot.

I want to spend big in this department. Kareem Jackson, Perrish Cox, Cromartie, and we keep Adams and Milliner... McDougle could be odd man out.

I am a believer in building through the draft, but on o-line and defensive backs we need some savvy veterans... And we have the money to spend.

As much as Cromartie makes sense (fills a need, knows the system, has skill), signing him at his age requires drafting an eventual replacement.

Signing two youngish corners (Culliver, Cox, Skrine, etc.) frees up draft-day flexibility in an already weak CB class.

If we draft a CB, we're looking at spending a pick in the first three rounds...I'd rather use those picks on other positions. I think the Jets brass agree, according to Pauline we'll be heavily targeting the CB and OLB position ( and target TWO guards) in free agency.

Get rid of Wilson, move McDougle into slot coverage.  Keep Williams and Milliner for depth. Sign Jackson, Cro and McCourty(McCourty might be too costly, if so get Moore).  Resign Harris, Sign one OLB (Not sure who to go for here).  Done on Defense for FA.  Draft another CB and OLB.

I'm not sold on Milliner ever being healthy and due to that he can be a backup until he can stay healthy and prove he is better than Jackson or Cro.  I think McDougle will stay healthy and can excel in the slot.

$55M or whatever we have is a ton of money. So what if Mcourty costs? What do you want 55 $1M players? time for some quality

$55M or whatever we have is a ton of money. So what if Mcourty costs? What do you want 55 $1M players? time for some quality

I wasn't arguing not to get him, its the whole reason I have him listed :)

He is the best FS on the market, he is going to get overpaid but you have to have a ceiling on how much you want to overpay.  Thats what I'm talking about.  If it just gets too costly you better be talking to Moore on the backend and keep him in the loop.

I wasn't arguing not to get him, its the whole reason I have him listed :)

He is the best FS on the market, he is going to get overpaid but you have to have a ceiling on how much you want to overpay.  Thats what I'm talking about.  If it just gets too costly you better be talking to Moore on the backend and keep him in the loop.

sorry but i'm sick of the "overpaying" hand-wringing. by definition, to sign a FA you have to pay him more than anyone else is willing to. it is very easy to say "but don't overpay!" what does that even mean?

As much as Cromartie makes sense (fills a need, knows the system, has skill), signing him at his age requires drafting an eventual replacement.

Signing two youngish corners (Culliver, Cox, Skrine, etc.) frees up draft-day flexibility in an already weak CB class.

If we draft a CB, we're looking at spending a pick in the first three rounds...I'd rather use those picks on other positions. I think the Jets brass agree, according to Pauline we'll be heavily targeting the CB and OLB position ( and target TWO guards) in free agency.

This , we don't need to overspend on flashy names , we just need competent guys who can be molded by our coaching staff.

sorry but i'm sick of the "overpaying" hand-wringing. by definition, to sign a FA you have to pay him more than anyone else is willing to. it is very easy to say "but don't overpay!" what does that even mean?

IMO it means not going for the top name FA's (ie Revis , Suh, Cobb) who will demand top of the market dollars. 

IMO it means not going for the top name FA's (ie Revis , Suh, Cobb) who will demand top of the market dollars. 

big time players make big time plays. big time players command big time money.

Not saying I would want to sign any of these 3 guys for huge contracts but what's the point of having so much money and avoiding the best free agents at their positions. Ever sit there and say "dam I wish we had so and so".  Well so and so is now available and we have the means of sitting down and potentially signing them.  

Not saying I would want to sign any of these 3 guys for huge contracts but what's the point of having so much money and avoiding the best free agents at their positions. Ever sit there and say "dam I wish we had so and so".  Well so and so is now available and we have the means of sitting down and potentially signing them.  

If we needed to plug 1 or 2 holes agreed. We have more holes than a moth infested sweater , use that available money to shore up all units.

Archived