Realistically how many corners do we need to aquire in the offseason?

bealeb319

If we needed to plug 1 or 2 holes agreed. We have more holes than a moth infested sweater , use that available money to shore up all units.

I aggree but I do beleive we loook into what it takes to get any of those players.  I do not want Revis back.  HE may want 12-13 million a year.  I would rather get Maxwell at about 9 or 10.  He's younger, taller and may still get better than he is now.  Some of the money saved could be used towards signing Culiver or T.Williams,  or better yet McCourtney.

And over the years - how many big time FA's play commensurate to their salaries ??

why even participate in the draft? over the years--how many draft picks have busted?

not a risk-free proposition. not an excuse not to play the game.

why even participate in the draft? over the years--how many draft picks have busted?

not a risk-free proposition. not an excuse not to play the game.

Because in FA when going shopping your spending top dollars for 1 dozen certfied organic pastured fed brown chicken eggs when you can get 5 dozen regular eggs at the same price . 

This team needs lots of eggs not just one of two overhpyed ones. 

The draft especially now with the rookie salary cap is the prudent and most cost effective way of restocking talent on a team.

Because in FA when going shopping your spending top dollars for 1 dozen certfied organic pastured fed brown chicken eggs when you can get 5 dozen regular eggs at the same price . 

This team needs lots of eggs not just one of two overhpyed ones. 

The draft especially now with the rookie salary cap is the prudent and most cost effective way of restocking talent on a team.

So basically do an idzik, draft and bargain shop in FA. The money needs to be spent. So get the best you can with it.

Small differences define champions in a parity league. so yes, a guy who is 10-15% better costs a lot more than 10-15% more. it is not linear, nor should it be.

We have Milliner and McDougle who need to prove they can stay healthy but in theory could be starters (I know theories count for nothing) Williams who was an undrafted free agent last year played very well when he was given that chance (no I don't think we should rely on him being an all pro) but surely he deserves a shot to show what he can do. I think realistically we would be alright signing Cromartie and then drafting another corner in round three or 4. my number is add 2 corners in this off season and get rid of Wilson... thoughts?

in theory, milliner could be a starter. there is no theory on mcdougle. he is the biggest ? on the jets

So basically do an idzik, draft and bargain shop in FA. The money needs to be spent. So get the best you can with it.

Small differences define champions in a parity league. so yes, a guy who is 10-15% better costs a lot more than 10-15% more. it is not linear, nor should it be.

I'm not saying go bargain hunting in FA , all I'm saying instead of laying out insane money to a Revis - you can sign two FA cb's instead. 

sorry but i'm sick of the "overpaying" hand-wringing. by definition, to sign a FA you have to pay him more than anyone else is willing to. it is very easy to say "but don't overpay!" what does that even mean?

I'm still not getting where you are coming from.  Are you saying you don't have a ceiling in how much you are willing to overpay?  If you go to an auction are you willing to pay anything for an item or do you put a limit on how much you are going to be willing to spend?

I'm saying you are going to have to overpay for him but if someone is going to offer him 10 million a year to be their FS then I'm sorry I'm not agreeing with you that we should give him 10.5 just because we have money.  Just because you are loaded with money you still need to have a plan for all of it and have a ceiling for how much you are going to be willing to overpay at any one position. 

I'm not saying go bargain hunting in FA , all I'm saying instead of laying out insane money to a Revis - you can sign two FA cb's instead. 

you also said no to mccourty. mccorty and revis are the best two likely to be available. jets must try for both, and resolve to outbid everyone else for at least 1.

I'm still not getting where you are coming from.  Are you saying you don't have a ceiling in how much you are willing to overpay?  If you go to an auction are you willing to pay anything for an item or do you put a limit on how much you are going to be willing to spend?

I'm saying you are going to have to overpay for him but if someone is going to offer him 10 million a year to be their FS then I'm sorry I'm not agreeing with you that we should give him 10.5 just because we have money.  Just because you are loaded with money you still need to have a plan for all of it and have a ceiling for how much you are going to be willing to overpay at any one position. 

$1 more than the next suitor is how much i'd like to pay. the word "overpay" is easy to say but defining it is much more difficult. the market sets the price so by definition unless you are >5-10% higher than next highest, you aren't overpaying. appropriate talent evaluation is more important than price with the jets' current cap situation. much easier to get "deals" re-signing your own guys, but also more danger of paying higher than the market would otherwise bear, since there are no comparators in that situation.

you also said no to mccourty. mccorty and revis are the best two likely to be available. jets must try for both, and resolve to outbid everyone else for at least 1.

$1 more than the next suitor is how much i'd like to pay. the word "overpay" is easy to say but defining it is much more difficult. the market sets the price so by definition unless you are >5-10% higher than next highest, you aren't overpaying. appropriate talent evaluation is more important than price with the jets' current cap situation. much easier to get "deals" re-signing your own guys, but also more danger of paying higher than the market would otherwise bear, since there are no comparators in that situation.

You are playing with semantics now.  I think we are both in agreement we are willing to "overpay" for McCourty.  The difference I'm guessing is how much you want to allocate to this position and this person.  I'd be happy taking Moore at 6mil a yr or McCouty at 8mil a year.  I wouldn't go much higher period.  This position isn't anywhere near the top of my "need" list at the moment.  I'd rather stretch my money on corners and OL help more than any other position.

In your opinion Revis and McCourty are the best available and we need to pursue them. I contend I'd rather go after Tramon Williams, Culliver , Kareem Jackson types at CB. I certainly wouldn't overspend at safety with McCourty and would look at guys like Tyvon Branch, Searcy , Delmas.  

You are playing with semantics now.  I think we are both in agreement we are willing to "overpay" for McCourty.  The difference I'm guessing is how much you want to allocate to this position and this person.  I'd be happy taking Moore at 6mil a yr or McCouty at 8mil a year.  I wouldn't go much higher period.  This position isn't anywhere near the top of my "need" list at the moment.  I'd rather stretch my money on corners and OL help more than any other position.

Sorry if you interpreted as me playing with semantics, just trying to answer your questions.

In your opinion Revis and McCourty are the best available and we need to pursue them. I contend I'd rather go after Tramon Williams, Culliver , Kareem Jackson types at CB. I certainly wouldn't overspend at safety with McCourty and would look at guys like Tyvon Branch, Searcy , Delmas.  

plenty of room for disagreements on targets, it's just a personal pet peeve when people saying "I'd like so-and-so but we can't overpay." it is--in my humble opinion--a lazy throwaway caveat that adds nothing to the dialogue. Of course we shouldn't "overpay," that's a trusim, but defining what is/isn't overpaying is a lot less clear than conclusory statements assume.

Archived