Could Eagles have acquired Kiko Alonso to trade to Jets at #6?

SouthernJet

Maybe some back door talking going on. Jets probably have a inkling by now if David Harris is off to his beloved Rex and Bills. Bills have need there now w/Alonso gone.

Maybe Jets trade out of #6 for Alonso and lots of picks or Alonso and Foles and a pick or two? Thoughts? Be kind, I am old ;)

You'd love madden

Yep. Plus the cost differential, while he needs $ to re-sign Maclin. That McCoy was an unhappy camper anyway, wanting a new contract more lucrative than the one Kelly already didn't want to pay him, made it an easier decision. Also Kelly doesn't seem to think he needs this or that player to make his offense work. That if his passing game is clicking he will create enough open space to make a non-elite RB put up tons of yardage. Polk, or a rookie, plus Sproles.

It's mega-interesting to watch unfold. Think about the way the Eagles' offense was clicking there through early January of 2014.  2nd year QB with a 27:2 ratio, stud 25 year old top-3 NFL RB, demon speed 27 year old star WR. All 3 deserved pro bowlers or 1st team all pro, and all 3 of them under contract for a couple more seasons minimum. To most fans' thinking, with any semblance of an OL, that's an offense to build around right there. And in less than 14 months later, before May of 2015 is upon them, Kelly will have actively and willingly shipped all 3 off his team.

I don't know whether it will all work out for them in the end. But the guy's got balls, I'll give him that.

It's definitely a confidence in your system. It actually makes me think/wonder about Bill Walsh, and what if free agency was as it was today in the 80's...really, how good were Montana, Young, Rice, Taylor, Clark, Craig. What if you had the same moving parts from team to team as you have today. 

But in terms of affecting our W-L record? 

Foles could either turn that position around for this organization or be a product of Chips system. I think there's a bit of both in that. I dont think Foles is as bad as the Foles haters out there make him out to be, however, the system that Foles played in is also a major factor and Im not as certain with him as I am with Alonso in regards to their certainty to impact at their position. 

However, if Foles does play like a top 15 QB then of course that would certainly impact our W-L record. 

agree, eagles 99% did this for them.. I was just conjecturing with the stud LB, Jets may ask for that as part of a trade up IF Eagles approach us. IF.

Nah. I don't see it at all.

The player trade-bait between the Eagles and Jets is obvious. Possible they could be looking to trade Foles AND Alonso, but I don't see it. Not to a GM whose calling in life thus far has being a college scout more than a trader-Mike type who moves draft picks for other teams' veterans or other teams' young draftees who should need a veteran mega-contract in a year or two (Holmes, Edwards, etc.).

QB is its own animal. There are only QBs to scout well if they're there in the first place. And a GM who isn't just a scout doesn't have the luxury of betting his team on a mid-late rounder who he thinks could turn out the best of the bunch. It's one thing to think it, and it's another thing to bet the whole season on (since we see what our alternative is). 

Foles is ready-made (however opinions of him vary). He clearly can play at the NFL level and isn't a bust college-only QB like most others. And with the Jets (presumably) less than enthusiastic about going into the season with Geno Smith and a mid/late round prospect, it's an easy sell. The rest of the trade, I have to believe Maccagnan wants to receive purely in draft picks. High 1st and 2nd round draft picks to start with. I guess the one exception would be if Alonso was the player he most fawned over in 2013 but they couldn't pass on Hopkins in round 1 and Alonso didn't last to their pick in round 2. Maybe if that was the case, but otherwise I don't see that happening. 

Besides, it's not like Philadelphia can't stand to improve on defense themselves.

Nah. I don't see it at all.

The player trade-bait between the Eagles and Jets is obvious. Possible they could be looking to trade Foles AND Alonso, but I don't see it. Not to a GM whose calling in life thus far has being a college scout more than a trader-Mike type who moves draft picks for other teams' veterans or other teams' young draftees who should need a veteran mega-contract in a year or two (Holmes, Edwards, etc.).

QB is its own animal. There are only QBs to scout well if they're there in the first place. And a GM who isn't just a scout doesn't have the luxury of betting his team on a mid-late rounder who he thinks could turn out the best of the bunch. It's one thing to think it, and it's another thing to bet the whole season on (since we see what our alternative is). 

Foles is ready-made (however opinions of him vary). He clearly can play at the NFL level and isn't a bust college-only QB like most others. And with the Jets (presumably) less than enthusiastic about going into the season with Geno Smith and a mid/late round prospect, it's an easy sell. The rest of the trade, I have to believe Maccagnan wants to receive purely in draft picks. High 1st and 2nd round draft picks to start with. I guess the one exception would be if Alonso was the player he most fawned over in 2013 but they couldn't pass on Hopkins in round 1 and Alonso didn't last to their pick in round 2. Maybe if that was the case, but otherwise I don't see that happening. 

Besides, it's not like Philadelphia can't stand to improve on defense themselves.

i dont either,,it was fun, what if stuff, especially since I think harris will go to Bills.

Foles could either turn that position around for this organization or be a product of Chips system. I think there's a bit of both in that. I dont think Foles is as bad as the Foles haters out there make him out to be, however, the system that Foles played in is also a major factor and Im not as certain with him as I am with Alonso in regards to their certainty to impact at their position. 

However, if Foles does play like a top 15 QB then of course that would certainly impact our W-L record.

To be fair Chan Galley system made Ryan Fitzpatrick look like a pro bowler imagine what he can do for Foles.

To be fair Chan Galley system made Ryan Fitzpatrick look like a pro bowler imagine what he can do for Foles.

I wouldnt mind Foles, he's just not my first choice thats all. But if on draft day a trade goes down and the Jets come away with the Eagles 1st, 3rd rounders this year, Nick Foles and some high draft picks next year and possibly the year after I would be content with that. 

Maybe some back door talking going on. Jets probably have a inkling by now if David Harris is off to his beloved Rex and Bills. Bills have need there now w/Alonso gone.

Maybe Jets trade out of #6 for Alonso and lots of picks or Alonso and Foles and a pick or two? Thoughts? Be kind, I am old ;)

This was the first thing I thought as well but definitely not going to happen.  Alonso was a duck.  Chip collects ducks he doesn't get rid of them :)

It's definitely a confidence in your system. It actually makes me think/wonder about Bill Walsh, and what if free agency was as it was today in the 80's...really, how good were Montana, Young, Rice, Taylor, Clark, Craig. What if you had the same moving parts from team to team as you have today. 

Can you think of any GM or HC in any NFL era that would have done this? I can't. Not Walsh, not anyone.

Option A: January 2014:

• 24 year old Pro bowl QB who just posted the best TD:INT ratio in NFL history, and 3rd-highest passer rating in NFL history, in his 2nd season
  • 25 year old Pro bowl (and first team all pro) RB
  • 27 year old Pro bowl WR

Option B: Your team's other known options at these positions, January 2014 through April 2015:

• Has-been QB who no NFL team will pick up to start (not even the Geno Smith Jets). Maybe-available, raw 2015 draft pick who would cost your team multiple firsts and more just to draft.
  • 22 year old backup RB (Brown) who can't hang onto the ball, who you're also going to trade 4 months later. Nothing else. Chris Polk, and his 2 longer runs in garbage time against backup/beaten defenses.
  • One meh WR (Cooper) who recently made national headlines for the wrong reason that divided the team, and a former 1st round pick WR (Maclin) who once almost had 1000 yards 3 years prior, and who (while talented) hasn't lived up to his draft slot. Oh yeah, and he just missed the entire season with a busted knee.

That's ballsy to take option B. And while it may work out, it may prove to be incredibly stupid as well, showing that his job is an offensive coordinator not a HC or HC/GM hybrid.

Josh McDaniels is the only one I can think of ever coming close to that kind of swap, and it was fairly recently. Remember moving Cutler and Scheffler and Hillis, and getting back Orton and drafting Tebow and Knowshon Moreno with 1st round picks? But even that was wayyyy less than moving 3 current and recent pro bowl players, all 3 of them still years before the eldest one hits age 30. Oh yeah, and McDaniels got fired a blink of an eye later. Stupid Mickey Mouse voice motherf*cker. 

i dont either,,it was fun, what if stuff, especially since I think harris will go to Bills.

I think Harris to Buffalo is as likely as not as well, unless someone else goes overboard with a contract for him.

Also I think Buffalo will pick up Wille Colon for cheap, at least as a stop gap (what he was supposed to be with the Jets, but no one stepped up), and draft another guard or guard/tackle tweener type. Most of their OL is sh*t, and so is Colon, but he might actually be an upgrade for the Bills.

Would be pretty sweet/hilarious if this trade goes through and then McCoy sits out unless he gets a new $12-14M/year contract with $25-35M in up front bonus or guarantees. Despite the ludicrous exaggerations, right now McCoy is under contract for 3 years $25M total, with only $1.0M fully guaranteed and another $250K/year in non-guaranteed workout/roster bonuses.

I think Harris to Buffalo is as likely as not as well, unless someone else goes overboard with a contract for him.

Also I think Buffalo will pick up Wille Colon for cheap, at least as a stop gap (what he was supposed to be with the Jets, but no one stepped up), and draft another guard or guard/tackle tweener type. Most of their OL is sh*t, and so is Colon, but he might actually be an upgrade for the Bills.

Would be pretty sweet/hilarious if this trade goes through and then McCoy sits out unless he gets a new $12-14M/year contract with $25-35M in up front bonus or guarantees. Despite the ludicrous exaggerations, right now McCoy is under contract for 3 years $25M total, with only $1.0M fully guaranteed and another $250K/year in non-guaranteed workout/roster bonuses.

mccoy contract i s1 reason why I read Philly wanted him moved. so mccoy sits or risks getting hurt behind horsecrap OL.

idk, maybe. but whatever happens there is no way we shoukld do the trade if foles is not in the deal. we need a qb so we either get foles or take mariota ourselves

mccoy contract i s1 reason why I read Philly wanted him moved. so mccoy sits or risks getting hurt behind horsecrap OL.

I don't doubt it. But I think as much as the existing contract (his cap # for Philly was some $12M this season and they want/need to re-sign Maclin), it was that he wanted a new one.

He could play out the rest of his deal and be worth all of it. Will he be worth it if they tear it up and slap a 50% pay raise on top of it? If they win a superbowl then the answer is yes. One could argue that he's worth $2M less or whatever amount, but that presumes someone his level is available and attainable and as the same level sure thing, all for the rate you ideally want to pay. Sometimes supply and demand cause a player's going rate to eclipse his theoretical value. It's how Alex Smith gets an $18M/year contract. It's ludicrous; he's not that good to get the same contract as Tom Brady. But if you don't pay it, then you're risking your franchise being the Jets who can't even find a game manager. The last time they did (Pennington), they still had to burn the 18th pick in the country to get him, and then pay the 2nd highest contract awarded to any player in NFL history just to keep him.

So is McCoy worth $12-14M/year? I'd say no. Question is can you get him and keep him for the ~$8M/year, non-guaranteed deal he's currently under. So far it seems the answer to that question is "no" as well. 

I think the Eagles made the trade for a couple of reasons. 1) Alanso is an Oregon player, 2) the Eagles wanted Spiller and figured if they sent McCoy over to the Bills they wouldn't consider trying to ink a deal with Spiller, 3) They wanted to clear up cap space so that they could bid on a player or two in free agency.

That all being said I would be far from opposed to take Alanso off their hands in a trade to send Mariota to them, I just don't think that was their intention and I don't think it is going to happen.

Archived