Jets want to bring in CB Cary Williams for visit

DaBallhawk

To all those who are wanting a "big time" cornerback signing, this guy was that for Philadelphia a few years ago. It's a common theme, because most corners are dependent on pass rush, something most of us have forgotten after six years of getting beaten in the head with Rex's idea that they are the most important position on the field. I'd sign Revis, but as far as giving someone like Maxwell $8 million a year so he can be our Brandon Carr, no thank you.

I have no problem bringing in Williams. If he sucks, he sucks. Most corners do.

To all those who are wanting a "big time" cornerback signing, this guy was that for Philadelphia a few years ago. It's a common theme, because most corners are dependent on pass rush, something most of us have forgotten after six years of getting beaten in the head with Rex's idea that they are the most important position on the field. I'd sign Revis, but as far as giving someone like Maxwell $8 million a year so he can be our Brandon Carr, no thank you.

Maxwell can be our Brandon Carr?   You are bugging out.  If Maxwell wants 8 million I'd jump on that in a heart beat and give him a trip to Disney for free.

Maxwell can be our Brandon Carr?   You are bugging out.  If Maxwell wants 8 million I'd jump on that in a heart beat and give him a trip to Disney for free.

I bet you'd have jumped at giving that to DRC last year, too. And Nnamdi four years ago. At least you'd have had fun at Disneyland.

It's rumored Bowles puts just as much emphasis on corners as anyone else in the league. Rex wasn't bucking any trends when he stated how much he desired a defense loaded with CBs.

I bet you'd have jumped at giving that to DRC last year, too. And Nnamdi four years ago. At least you'd have had fun at Disneyland.

I didn't want Nnamdi and preferred Cro because of the financials.  I did want DRC because we had absolutely no CB's other than Miliner who was an injury risk and we could have had him at a decent price.  

It's rumored Bowles puts just as much emphasis on corners as anyone else in the league. Rex wasn't bucking any trends when he stated how much he desired a defense loaded with CBs.

Yep, and that's the thing that scares me the most about Bowles. I am glad we are being linked to people like Cary Williams, though. So, perhaps, we will sign Revis and then let some unheralded vets battle it out for the other starting spot. We won't be spending first rounders on nickel corners, in case one of our 1st or 2nd round corners leaves.

I didn't want Nnamdi and preferred Cro because of the financials.  I did want DRC because we had absolutely no CB's other than Miliner who was an injury risk and we could have had him at a decent price.  

My point is just that there have been a ton of corners that have LOOKED great at times, but often after that get paid like a true #1, they are exposed badly. Brandon Carr is probably the most extreme example, as he's an absolute scrub who is getting paid so much, they can't even release him, but it happens often. I just don't see Maxwell as the next big thing, as we'd be paying him to be the best player in our secondary, when he's coming from a team where he was a distant #4. With all the big time free agent CB busts of the last few years, that scares the hell out of me. I'd rather go with the absolutely known quantity and then fill the rest of the spots with guys that have already been released by the team that gave them their big payday and are looking to prove themselves.

DRC was not had a decent price.

Crazy that coaches want corners in a pass happy league.  Crazy.  I mean, the Pats went aggressive for corners last season and look at how that backfired. 

And as it turned out DRC got hurt and had a mediocre season with the Giants

Crazy that coaches want corners in a pass happy league.  Crazy.  I mean, the Pats went aggressive for corners last season and look at how that backfired. 

Yeah, the Colts, Giants, Steelers, Saints, Packers, Giants again, and Ravens all had elite corners. I guess the NFL just became a passing league in 2013.

Yeah, the Colts, Giants, Steelers, Saints, Packers, Giants again, and Ravens all had elite corners. I guess the NFL just became a passing league in 2013.

Haha What?  Are you trying to say corners arent valuable?  And you're wrong...all thoese teams had great secondaries besides the Giants...and they werent that terrible either.  

Patriots and Seahawks had great secondaries.  

Ravens too.  Jimmy Smith, Ladarius Webb, Cary Williams, Ed Reed, Bernard Pollard.

Packers too. Tramon Williams, Charles Woodson, Nick Collins, Sam Shields

Saints too. Harper, Sharper, Jenkins, Gay, Greer

Steelers too.  Clark, Polamalu, Taylor, McFadden

So basically, you're clueless.  lol

DRC was not had a decent price.

7mill a year is going to seem a bargain with the money that is going to be thrown around this year. DRC is a very solid corner. Just because he played dinged up last year and not up to his previous level does not mean it was a bad signing, he just had a bad year due to injuries.

7mill a year is going to seem a bargain with the money that is going to be thrown around this year. DRC is a very solid corner. Just because he played dinged up last year and not up to his previous level does not mean it was a bad signing, he just had a bad year due to injuries.

Which was the main reason to be wary of him. It looks like, although SSS, John Idzik was right in passing on DRC.

Now dumping Cro is another story....

Haha What? Are you trying to say corners arent valuable? And you're wrong...all thoese teams had great secondaries besides the Giants...and they werent that terrible either.

Patriots and Seahawks had great secondaries.

Ravens too. Jimmy Smith, Ladarius Webb, Cary Williams, Ed Reed, Bernard Pollard.

Packers too. Tramon Williams, Charles Woodson, Nick Collins, Sam Shields

Saints too. Harper, Sharper, Jenkins, Gay, Greer

Steelers too. Clark, Polamalu, Taylor, McFadden

So basically, you're clueless. lol

Talking about corners, not secondaries as a whole. None of those corners are great. And lol at listing Ed Reed. He was awesome at that point. Remember how good he was for us the very next year?

Talking about corners, not secondaries as a whole. None of those corners are great. And lol at listing Ed Reed. He was awesome at that point. Remember how good he was for us the very next year?

Led the team in INTs!

You people are funny. Last yr you folks would have paid a kings ransom for a CB like this. This yr, he's terrible because of the depth in free agency and who's available via the draft.

If this cat can be had via a decent contract he's a huge improvement over what we played with last yr.

You guys have to stop freaking out over every name being attached to us.  With a new coaching

staff and front office in place everyone we interview gives a clue into what "body type" we like at

various positions.  So far it appears Bowles likes long DLinemen & CB's

Talley (6-3 285)

Langford (6-6 300+)

Canty (6-7 300+) 

Brown (6-0 185)

Williams (6-1 190)

And he was injured in previous years, and he was musing about retiring in the off season and he was signed for 5 years and his cap hit and dead cap money is high the 1st few years of the deal.

And he was injured in previous years, and he was musing about retiring in the off season and he was signed for 5 years and his cap hit and dead cap money is high the 1st few years of the deal.

Of course his dead money is high the first few years, but his first year cap hit was like 4 mill., 5 this year and averages about 7.5 the last 3 years. in reality it is about a 4 year 26 mill deal as he wont see the last year salary of 8.5.   If the pats lose revis, I would not mind the pats picking that up.

Eagles could not wait to get rid of him- he was toasted last year- pass

Saw a lot of t his guy this season living close to Philly...he was terrible.  I looked at him a few times and thought "Maybe the Jets don't have the worst CB's in the NFL".  He was that bad and radio shows screaming regularly over why the DC didn't give him more safety help.

Cary Williams is a good corner, I don't get why some fans think he's terrible. Maybe he had an off year, but the skill is there to be a really good corner in the right scheme. Last year in Philly definitely wasn't the case. Pretty much every Philly defender sucked, especially every DB they have.

The only downside with him is his mouth and his lack of discipline. Not sure to add another one of those to the mix now that we traded for Marshall.

Archived