***Jets trade for Brandon Marshall (pending a physical)***

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is hes a cancer, hes on the wrong side of 30, he has no speed and this team needs to be building for the future.

It shows this team has learned nothing from its mistakes. New gm, same stupid moves.

No offense dude but you are giving Joe Willy a bad name.... 

Not only does this move offer us a better reciever than Harvin, but it saves us a fourth round draft selection, a few millions dollars in space, and we still maintain the year to year contral on the player, due to the final two years not being garunteed.

Yes. Third rounders, especially guys coming back from catastrophic injury, are not usually counted on as day 1 starters.

Of course, if he came into camp and lit it they'd happily have started him. But only a fool would have planned on it.

A fool started Geno Smith out of WVU in his 1st yr in a WCO . What does that tell you ?

Countless women despiiiiiiiise me and yet none of them have drawn blood. I've been hit with a shoe, been bitten, punched, and had all of my credit card info put on a blog, but never got stabbed.

link?

Could not have said it better. I liked the gm/coach but was slightly concerned that they didnt cut harvin right away. Now this awful move, and its over. These guys are as clueless as the last regime. Damn.

Stop trolling and go back to JI/ scout. I see u haven't changed much.

As do I, so who do u think that QB is Geno dosen't have what it takes upstairs. Cutler is not my first Choice at all but who would you prefer? Geno a draft pick ?

*if* the draft scenario works out, I'd take foles. Geno still has "potential", hell I'd take Matt Moore.

You know what you're getting with cutler, and I don't think Bowles is ready to hang his first coaching job on guy that's a known coach killer.

This team needs a game manager, not an bad attitude, coach killing "gunslinger" with bad contract.

Where did it say that Woody went over Macca's head on this one?

SAR I

I haven't read/heard any such thing outside of that one post.  Seems like he's making a gargantuan assumption without any basis in fact which is not uncommon around here.  

Baseless posts are rampant on JN.  Much more here than any other Jets messageboard I have ever participated in.  

Wow, gets no argument from me.  At 31 he may have lost a little off his fastball, but still plenty fast enough, If he is healthy he going to transform this offense. .  

Exactly, and he was never a fast guy to begin with so the things that other WR's would lose due to age (Speed) and they depend heavily on, Marshall wont have to worry about because He's not going to lose 6'4 to age, he may lose some of that leaping ability but when you're already jumping out of the stadium, only jumping to the top tier is still considered freakish. He's will still understand how to set up a defender or sit in a zone or box a guy out for the football. Everything that Marshall is has perfected based on his limitation at speed. Fortunately, most of these very things you wont lose as quickly with age. 

A 5th rounder. Maccagnan and Bowles should get a high 5 for this one. When the news first broke I was a bit tired coming back from the gym, but now that this has really sunk in this was the perfect move based on what was used....a 5th rounder. Thats a win/win situation. Most 5th rounders dont make a team, and the Jets guaranteed that theirs will be impactful for at least a couple years. 

And that video was nuts wasnt it? Wow. 

*if* the draft scenario works out, I'd take foles. Geno still has "potential", hell I'd take Matt Moore.

You know what you're getting with cutler, and I don't think Bowles is ready to hang his first coaching job on guy that's a known coach killer.

This team needs a game manager, not an bad attitude, coach killing "gunslinger" with bad contract.

I don't put any credence into the Philly trade scenario so I can rule out Foles for now and as for Matt Moore he is being highly overrated on this board. It appears u live in SOFLA as do I and I have seen Matt Moore play in regular season games and he is nothing to be excited about. Plus he hasn't played in 2 years. The only other options are drafting a QB, signing Hoyer or if there is another QB that is released, trading another pick for Glennon or Foles, and I don't see that happening. I think they go with Geno or sign a FA Vet.

According to whom ?  How many of those picks are players in the league ? How can anyone grade a draft pick after 1 yr ?    Of your 4 supposed hits, how do you know any of em are actually hits after 1 lousy season ?

According to the rest of the league and how they walked all over the Jets.  Saying that Idzik did his job makes no sense. The Jets were not prepared at WR or CB.  They just handed a 6th round pick and lost more roll over cap space for picking up Harvin which was a panic move.

Idzik was overmatched in this position.

Just a very short sighted comment.  It takes 3 years to evaluate a draft.  Pryor struggled but should be better as Bowles will play him to his strengths.  Amaro also showed flashes and led all rookie TEs in catches.  I was impressed by IK and Reilly.  Dozier has potential but never got an opportunity; he will under Bowles.   The injuries ruined the rookie seasons of Shaq Evans and Dexter MacDougle, and the jury is also still out on Enunwa.   In two years we could look back on this draft a lot differently and if so it will be fun to come back and read some of these comments. 

When you have to grade someone now, you don't have the ability to look into the future. The statement was made that Idzik did his job.  The answer is no, he didn't do his job.  Idzik failed and he is responsible for a terrible draft as it stands today.

I am at the top of the list of people who will remain open minded that the Shaq Evans of the world, along with McDougle, can contribute next year and beyond. Idzik failed though and his draft is a major part of why.

I don't put any credence into the Philly trade scenario so I can rule out Foles for now and as for Matt Moore he is being highly overrated on this board. It appears u live in SOFLA as do I and I have seen Matt Moore play in regular season games and he is nothing to be excited about. Plus he hasn't played in 2 years. The only other options are drafting a QB, signing Hoyer or if there is another QB that is released, trading another pick for Glennon or Foles, and I don't see that happening. I think they go with Geno or sign a FA Vet.

Seems to me that the realistic Vet QB will be a former Texan (either Mallet or Fitzpatrick).  

She heard he was tough , otherwise she would used a butter knife :winking0001:

LOL, old Jack Benny joke:

• Thug: This is a stickup! Now come on. Your money or your life.

[long pause]

• Thug: [repeating] Look, bud, I said 'Your money or your life.'
  • Jack Benny: I'm thinking I'm thinking!

Wondering why you don't like the move.  Marshall for a 5th, cut Harvin and keep the 4th, save on net cap, is a much better plan than cutting Harvin and getting into a bidding war for Cobb/Maclin/Smith (which saves us all of a 5th round pick and likely costs more money, and especially cap flexibility moving forward, than Marshall does) or keeping Harvin at a higher cap cost and losing a 4th round pick.

What's the downside?

I'm not so sure I agree. Marshall's conventional numbers have been on the higher end in the seasons that he plays with Cutler because Cutler loves throwing to him. Without looking it up, excepting his first year I don't think they ever had a year together where he wasn't top 5 in targets prior to last season. Combine that with his efficiency numbers during his two year stint in Miami and I think his impact sans Cutler speaks for itself. Granted, there's a very small sample of some time with McCown, but that was such an outlier run from all parties involved that I'm not sure you can even take anything from that.

According to the rest of the league and how they walked all over the Jets.  Saying that Idzik did his job makes no sense. The Jets were not prepared at WR or CB.  They just handed a 6th round pick and lost more roll over cap space for picking up Harvin which was a panic move.

Idzik was overmatched in this position.

The man drafted 2 CBs and 3 Wr  . He signed the top WR available in free agency and signed a CB who came at a decent price but couldn't handle competition. 

The fact that his players were  or haven been given the chance to develop yet doesn't mean that they were bad choices.

The man did his Job. Folks around here want instant gratification, and when they don't get it, names get thrown around.. 

Mark sanchez gave you folks instant gratification, you fell all over your heads and then hung him out like a cheap suit.  Everyone in NY was going nuts about that kid when he was hurt and couldn't help the Giants, but when he played, he was hailed as the next great.

If he gets hurt again and can't play what will he be in 2 yrs.

IMO, John Idzik did his Job and well.  It's my opinion, just like it's yours to say he didn't and was in over his head.

Remember McCagnan hired Rex Hogan from Bears FO. So he can at least speak to Marshall's off field behavior / locker room stuff etc.

I just pray we stay away from Cutler...he and Marshall always re-unite. Dudes a selfish int machine headcase. Do not want.

The man drafted 2 CBs and 3 Wr  . He signed the top WR available in free agency and signed a CB who came at a decent price but couldn't handle competition. 

The fact that his players were  or haven been given the chance to develop yet doesn't mean that they were bad choices.

The man did his Job. Folks around here want instant gratification, and when they don't get it, names get thrown around.. 

Mark sanchez gave you folks instant gratification, you fell all over your heads and then hung him out like a cheap suit.  Everyone in NY was going nuts about that kid when he was hurt and couldn't help the Giants, but when he played, he was hailed as the next great.

If he gets hurt again and can't play what will he be in 2 yrs.

IMO, John Idzik did his Job and well.  It's my opinion, just like it's yours to say he didn't and was in over his head.

The Jets played a safety at CB despite nearly a dozen excellent options in free agency and he drafted the only 3 WR's in the entire draft who didn't register a single reception in the entire NFL.  Could the bar be set any lower for somebody who "did their job"?

Makes little difference since the Jets (unlike Chicago) would never consider cutting Marshall this year.

Sorry but this is an excellent trade for a team that (once Harvin's gone) had some $65M in cap room.

Like a 5th for Santonio Holmes. I make that trade every year. Just don't re-sign him with $20M guaranteed because he's a young scumbag. Sure he was cheap, but money is not an issue for the Jets right now.

And since he was only a 5th and is only locked in here for 1 season if we so desire, it in no way precludes us from still taking a WR at #6 (if that's who Maccagnan has as #1 on his list when it's our turn). But it doesn't paint us into a corner and force us to go WR that early either.

This is an awesome move.

Big possession receiver will move the chains ....when was the last time we had that type guys who was consistently good ? Keyshawn Johnson. And this guy is a few steps above that.

Those complaining about his age need to realize we didn't bring this guy in here to break speed records he's here to get first downs move the chains and keep drives alive.  

I have a feeling if we bring in the right interim QB we can get good very quick with the amount of cap money we still have 50+ mil plus some good draft picks. We have seen teams get good really quick after down years a lot recently and with a few good moves we are right on the door step of an elite defense based on the fact we already have an elite defensive line.

This year is going to be very exciting. Bring in Matt Moore if you intend on taking Mariota .... If you don't take Mariota and trade with the Eagles for Foles then this team gets good real quick

This is an awesome move.

Big possession receiver will move the chains ....when was the last time we had that type guys who was consistently good ? Keyshawn Johnson. And this guy is a few steps above that.

Those complaining about his age need to realize we didn't bring this guy in here to break speed records he's here to get first downs move the chains and keep drives alive.  

I have a feeling if we bring in the right interim QB we can get good very quick with the amount of cap money we still have 50+ mil plus some good draft picks. We have seen teams get good really quick after down years a lot recently and with a few good moves we are right on the door step of an elite defense based on the fact we already have an elite defensive line.

This year is going to be very exciting. Bring in Matt Moore if you intend on taking Mariota .... If you don't take Mariota and trade with the Eagles for Foles then this team gets good real quick

The age thing is from people who young enough to be themselves dreading what they see as the big 3-0 coming up years from now.

Unless it's a big bluff, which is giving him too much credit so far, it seems clear that Maccagnan isn't taking Mariota.

If we don't take him and don't have the opportunity to trade for Foles, then I'd like to give Smith the chance to be as good as he could be in the event he could possibly start to develop into a legitimate starter. Not holding my breath on that, like I wasn't with Sanchez, but it's still technically possible.

The Jets played a safety at CB despite nearly a dozen excellent options in free agency and he drafted the only 3 WR's in the entire draft who didn't register a single reception in the entire NFL.  Could the bar be set any lower for somebody who "did their job"?

So it's the GM job to decide who starts now  ?  What exactly was Rex Ryan's job as HC ?  If you guys want to blame Idzik for not over spending, I have no issue with that.  The fact of the matter is the GM is supposed  to add talent that fits the HC's desire via the draft and free agency but in free agency, not pay people more than their worth just because you have a need. That puts you in cap hell and cost you players you need to keep. 

IMO, John Idzik handle this job with competence and dignity.

Who played Allen at CB?

Archived