The return of Trader Mike

JetsFanInDenver

So it's not Tannenbaum but Maccagnan. But it sure feels like the Tannenbaum era.

After a couple of seasons of those boring. deliberate, value based moves, suddenly once again the excitement in the back in the air, turbo charged forced trades which did not need to be made, in which the draft picks are the acceptable casualty AND on top of that existing players being overpaid so they sign back with the team.

Atleast based on the first two major moves of the Maccagnan era we see so many similarities to those bygone days. Maybe you cannot blame him. What else do you do when the owner made the previous guy a scapegoat and ran him away out of town for making deliberate and value based moves. And i not being absolving the previous GM of his mistakes in the draft but i did expect a whole bunch of what i am seeing today and it does not surprise me.

Problem is if this continues then there is no way in heck we have a team that has the chance to contend for the BIG prize. Once again. Period.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it's not Tannenbaum but Maccagnan. But it sure feels like the Tannenbaum era.

After a couple of seasons of those boring. deliberate, value based moves, suddenly once again the excitement in the back in the air, turbo charged forced trades which did not need to be made, in which the draft picks are the acceptable casualty AND on top of that existing players being overpaid so they sign back with the team.

Atleast based on the first two major moves of the Maccagnan era we see so many similarities to those bygone days. Maybe you cannot blame him. What else do you do when the owner made the previous guy a scapegoat and ran him away out of town for making deliberate and value based moves. And i not being absolving the previous GM of his mistakes in the draft but i did expect a whole bunch of what i am seeing today and it does not surprise me.

Problem is if this continues then there is no way in heck we have a team that has the chance to contend for the BIG prize. Once again. Period.

I think the difference will prove out to be that MacCagnan is also going to be adept at replacing the draft picks he gives up for players.

Also, acquiring a 100 catch WR is a lot different than trading for sh*tbrain trades like Tebow, Brett Favre and other likewise buffoonery.

people need to calm down.  Maccagnan just got us a true #1 WR for a fifth round pick.

The cap is increasing folks, therefore salaries must increase.  $7.5 million for Harris would've been a lot 2-3 years ago but in today's world with the new TV deals, get used to it.  It's really more of an average deal for a player like Harris.

The sky is not falling.

I think the difference will prove out to be that MacCagnan is also going to be adept at replacing the draft picks he gives up for players.

Also, acquiring a 100 catch WR is a lot different than trading for sh*tbrain trades like Tebow, Brett Favre and other likewise buffoonery.

Wow just checked his stats. He really regressed last year and could not even stay on the field for the entire season. Got 61 receptions.

2014 Chicago Bears 13 61 721 11.8 55.5 47 8 5 4 41 1

people need to calm down.  Maccagnan just got us a true #1 WR for a fifth round pick.

The cap is increasing folks, therefore salaries must increase.  $7.5 million for Harris would've been a lot 2-3 years ago but in today's world with the new TV deals, get used to it.  It's really more of an average deal for a player like Harris.

The sky is not falling.

I doubt it. A true #1 WR from 2009 for a fifth round pick. He did not do too well last season and he is not getting any younger. A guy who would have most likely been cut. But we will never know.

I doubt it. A true #1 WR from 2009 for a fifth round pick. He did not do too well last season and he is not getting any younger. A guy who would have most likely been cut. But we will never know.

he is a true #1 WR still.  Now as to whether his QB can make good decisions with the football, that remains to be seen.

Wow just checked his stats. He really regressed last year and could not even stay on the field for the entire season. Got 61 receptions.

That happens when a guy gets hurt and tries to play through it for his team. He never recovered fully from an ankle injury. So he statt'ed like that while gimped all year.

I get your agenda, but have you actually read why he had reduced productivity? He had 7 years under 3 different teams with around 1200 yards/year. 1500 the year before last. If he's healthy, he's an elite receiver. Period.

I don't post here often anymore, but...

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent poat  were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Those value based moves were doing great btw. That's if you took the under on the Jets right when Idzik started.

One way of furthering that goal would be to let David Harris go to free agency and recouping a compensatory pick for him. If Harris truly would have gotten much more as a free agent, we could have been looking at either a 3rd or 4th round pick next year.

I had no problem with the Marshall trade. I liked it and still do. It was a position where we needed to improve, and we did so with a sure thing who is not remotely a bankbreaker for what he brings. And being a non-guaranteed contract it means we can still go WR with any of our picks. Plus it was a pretty "cheap" acquisition (5th round pick).

The Harris re-upping does not improve the defense or the team. ILB isn't the impossible to find puzzle piece that a HOF WR or franchise QB or shutdown CB can be.

Also this same GM indicated he wanted to lock up Percy Harvin, which would have meant forfeiting our 4th round pick to Seattle. Either that or he's naive to think Harvin (or any player) would agree to a non-guaranteed pay cut instead of hitting free agency where he's guaranteed to get guaranteed bonus money.

Like the Marshall deal, but don't like it if he (internally) decides we will stay away from drafting any WRs for the next couple of seasons at a minimum. If the value is there he should still pounce. If not, then he's no longer forced into a WR pick. We'll see what actually happens. 

Dude has $45 million and 5 draft picks left, let's just calm our t!ts down. I'm not sure why everyone is so surprised about the Harris deal: he's valued immensely more the coaching staff as compared to the fans. There is something highly vital about a Lb who can change the defensive front and play every down. So Bowles gets his defensive captain for two years, doesn't handcuff any current or future moves, I'm willing to let the entire offseason play out before I join the hysteria.

Think about it logically our new GM is a personel guy, he has a lot of experience with past drafts and likely knows every draftable player in the draft this year. He gave up a 5th round pick and to me that says the guy I am getting is going to give my team more value than anyone that could possibly fall that far back in the draft. Have some faith until proven otherwise.

Think about it logically our new GM is a personel guy, he has a lot of experience with past drafts and likely knows every draftable player in the draft this year. He gave up a 5th round pick and to me that says the guy I am getting is going to give my team more value than anyone that could possibly fall that far back in the draft. Have some faith until proven otherwise.

This makes sense - what are you doing on this board?

Why do SOJF have to sh*t on everything?  We just picked up a top 15 WR for probably a fifth round pick, something that would be EASILY regained by dropping a few spots in either 2nd or 3rd round?  If we wind up trading back in the first, we are going to get multiple picks over multiple years.

WOW.....

A 30 year old Marshall is way better value than the usual #5 pick, though.  we are not trading multiple picks for higher picks here, which Mr T did.

The Jets just upgraded the WR position, are going to get their 4th rounder back, and get another $3 million in cap space, and this is a bad move?  

I fail to see the problem with the trade.   He traded a 5th rd pick for a 2-3 year starter at WR.  

The 5th rd is not exactly known for finding immediate starters, especially at WR.   With as much cap room as the Jets have this seems like a solid move to improve the team.  

One way of furthering that goal would be to let David Harris go to free agency and recouping a compensatory pick for him. If Harris truly would have gotten much more as a free agent, we could have been looking at either a 3rd or 4th round pick next year.

Except for that to happen, the Jets would've had to lose more free agents than they signed this year - and that wasn't gonna happen.

Not sure if this was supposed to be a thread bashing the new regime in comparison to Idzik, but Maccagnan basically got the fourth that Idzik was happy to give away for Harvin, and got a better pure receiver for a fifth. Looks to me like he's bracing for Geno to continue to start, and wanted to get him a big, reliable target.

As for Harris, I've expected him back all along, although the number is higher than I expected. Not ready to put up a billboard just yet.

repeat - 

a 5th rounder for a #1 WR without guaranteed money - CHECK

re signs the captain of the defense and leading tackler for the past few years - CHECK

If at some point we lose out on a good free agent because he gave 15 mil guaranteed to Harris then we can talk but right now we should be fine with these moves.  Knowing that we have lots of $$ and a great draft position, we shouldnt be looking to jump off a bridge or worse fire our GM.

Chiefs re-signed ILB Josh Mauga to a three-year, $8 million contract.  Younger but no way a better player than Harris.  Imagine what Worilds and some others will get.

I had no problem with the Marshall trade. I liked it and still do. It was a position where we needed to improve, and we did so with a sure thing who is not remotely a bankbreaker for what he brings. And being a non-guaranteed contract it means we can still go WR with any of our picks. Plus it was a pretty "cheap" acquisition (5th round pick).

The Harris re-upping does not improve the defense or the team. ILB isn't the impossible to find puzzle piece that a HOF WR or franchise QB or shutdown CB can be.

Also this same GM indicated he wanted to lock up Percy Harvin, which would have meant forfeiting our 4th round pick to Seattle. Either that or he's naive to think Harvin (or any player) would agree to a non-guaranteed pay cut instead of hitting free agency where he's guaranteed to get guaranteed bonus money.

Like the Marshall deal, but don't like it if he (internally) decides we will stay away from drafting any WRs for the next couple of seasons at a minimum. If the value is there he should still pounce. If not, then he's no longer forced into a WR pick. We'll see what actually happens. 

I agree with you about Harris, however, the factor we have no insight into is how Bowles wants to use him, and how much he valued him.

We perceive Harris's value based on how Rex used him. I think if Bowles is looking at his new defense and sees Harris as a lynchpin, then that explains the extension in every way.

The other possibility is the sad one. Harris has been a good Jets "draft and succeed" story for a player. Maybe Woody didn't want to lose Harris to the Bills the way he lost Revis to the Pats. It could be a Woody's ego contract, however, I doubt it. I think it's got more to do with Bowles being supported by his new GM as they acclimate to each other.

As for the Harvin comments from Mac, I think that was posturing to see if he could get Harvin to restructure, which would have made the 4th worth giving up. Mac didn't ask for that situation, he just tried to do something with it.

Archived