Mike Maccagnan

Tinstar

This is what the Man has done thus far, and it tells us what exactly.  He's signed an OT, a DE, a CB, traded  for a Wr and resigned ILber David Harris. It tells me the team sees issues at certain positions and are looking a addressing them before the draft .

The additions so far are telling IMO .

This is what the Man has done thus far, and it tells us what exactly.  He's signed an OT, a DE, a CB, traded  for a Wr and resigned ILber David Harris. It tells me the team sees issues at certain positions and are looking a addressing them before the draft .

outside of today (the OT, DE and CB were depth players, not starters) the WR was a good one but the Harris deal seems like he heavily overpaid.   Not sure this tells us anything yet.

Looks to me like he does want to strengthen the team in a responsible manner. Make them competitive for the short term and build them for a good run very soon. With today's trade of Marshall and the signing of Harris, the Jets have competency for two years at least in those positions.

Gives them time to find young and capable replacements.

It tells me he's trying to, or being forced to by Woody, to win it in 2015.

Which to me is the wrong decision.

I can't imagine there is any expectation to win it this year.  I think he was likely told to try and build a team that can compete and that's what he's doing.  

With Geno Smith as your present starter, I think not. You still have to put a competent team on the field while you build, and IMO, that's what the man is doing.  Marshal doesn't break the bank and neither does Harris. Both can be gone in 2 yrs and can still help this team win in the present at decent cap hits. 

I like the progress thus far. Now if we cut Harvin soon, I am all in for the immediate future.

With Geno Smith as your present starter, I think not. You still have to put a competent team on the field while you build, and IMO, that's what the man is doing.  Marshal doesn't break the bank and neither does Harris. Both can be gone in 2 yrs and can still help this team win in the present at decent cap hits. 

I like the progress thus far. Now if we cut Harvin soon, I am all in for the immediate future.

Harris's re-signing means you're staying away from ILBers in the top half of the draft. Marshall's signing does not.

Marshall's signing means the team will improve at a key position from last year. Harris's signing does not.

FIREMIKEMACCAGNAN.COM

C'mon now, for the first time in possibly longer than a decade we have a receiver that draws a double team. We have to spend money this year anyway or i believe we get hit with some sort of penalty. Mikey Mac is making good moves with the hand he was dealt....lets give him a few years and see what he does. 

Looks to me like he does want to strengthen the team in a responsible manner. Make them competitive for the short term and build them for a good run very soon. With today's trade of Marshall and the signing of Harris, the Jets have competency for two years at least in those positions.

Gives them time to find young and capable replacements.

With their cap money and their drafts, we should see some decent depth

It tells me that he got us a #1 WR with a 5th rounder, resigns a ILBer that has been our tackling machine since we drafted him in 2007 and wants him to retire a Jet since we have the money and the other guys are bodies for camp. 

I dont see a thing wrong with what Mac has done thus far. I would have liked to see Harris give us more of a hometown discount given all of the money he received when Tanny was around, but with 54 million under the cap and with Harvin most likely being cut, I wont complain too much about that. 

And I still think that Wilkerson should play out his rookie contract because I would prefer to extend Richardson next year instead. 

There is absolutely zero chance Maccagnan isn't operating under an order from Woody to transact lots of business with players whose names people know. Literally zero.

if true.. that may be the worst of all signs.. if they guy can't stand up to the owner it's going to be over quickly

This isn't about Maccagnan standing up to Woody. It's about neither of them standing up to the fans.

If it's fan driven it's coming through Woody, either way, letting PR dictate football moves is a disaster waiting to happen..

Being aggressive and cautious at the same time- Locking up a long time player for  more than he probably wanted but getting a good receiver for a 5th round choice- 5th rounders usually do not even make a team unless you are real lucky.

Mike has a plan and he is aggressive. Thats all I can ask for.  Both of his moves today were short term moves that dont hurt us after the next two years. The goal is to compete while developing talent - Is it not? Josh Mouga (AKA Pizza shop guy) just got about 3m a year- Thats the ILB market. Dry as hell. 

Watching Idzik be too scared to move around the draft or resign our own players was pathetic. 

Maccagnan needs to spend money. It seems he's doing it on veteran guys who he can build up talent behind but don't need 4-6 year deals and won't be eating up cap room long in the future. Which isn't the worst plan.

You're buying that line of malarkey from a praying mantis? 

Not buying anything, I said if, but i don't think he's completely off base. As i said in the original thread Marshall is overrated, the perception of his value is greater then his actual value. People are running around calling him an elite WR as if actual elite WR's are acquirable with just a 5th rd pick. So yeah, you can make an argument that this was a move for the fans

It tells me he's trying to, or being forced to by Woody, to win it in 2015.

Which to me is the wrong decision.

What has happened that makes you think Woody is forcing his hand? That seems like a reach.

a 5th rounder for a #1 WR without guaranteed money - CHECK

re signs the captain of the defense and leading tackler for the past few years - CHECK

If at some point we lose out on a good free agent because he gave 15 mil guaranteed to Harris then we can talk but right now we should be fine with these moves.  Knowing that we have lots of $$ and a great draft position, we shouldnt be looking to jump off a bridge or worse fire our GM.

Chiefs re-signed ILB Josh Mauga to a three-year, $8 million contract.  Younger but no way a better player than Harris.  Imagine what Worilds and some others will get.

Not buying anything, I said if, but i don't think he's completely off base. As i said in the original thread Marshall is overrated, the perception of his value is greater then his actual value. People are running around calling him an elite WR as if actual elite WR's are acquirable with just a 5th rd pick. So yeah, you can make an argument that this was a move for the fans

Randy Moss was acquired for a 4th rounder and promptly put up one of the best seasons a WR has ever had.

Sometimes people just wear out their welcome. 

Archived