Jets to court Ryan Mallett?

jetscrazey

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock 4h4 hours ago

I expect the Jets to put a full court press on Ryan Mallett tomorrow. Brandon Marshall & Eric Decker in the big apple. Tempting

Let me start off by saying I watched the coaches film of Mallett's only start in Cleveland last season before he got injured.  I came away quite impressed.  He was decisive, read the defense well, and has a reasonably quick release in addition to his big arm.  He throws the quick hitch as good as anyone, it was like telepathy between him and Andre Johnson.  It was a very windy day so couldn't really judge his deep ball.

Granted we only have 1 full game of film on this guy but he seems like the best chance to develop into a good starting QB from all the guys who will hit the open market.  I think Maccagnan has his eye on him with his history in Houston.

Why would Obrien let him go when Houston has no QB?

sounds like Houston has made an offer but Mallett wants to test the open market....this might be his only chance to get paid.  If Maccagnan shows him the cap space things could get interesting.

I would personally like the move. Don't know how far Mallett has grown as a pro but he's got a bigger arm than Winston or Mariota. Has all the physical tools but known as a tool himself coming out of college. If he's grown up could be a home run. I also like the idea that if he became a stud, New England let him go. Finally some karma in the Jets favor. 

Let me start off by saying I watched the coaches film of Mallett's only start in Cleveland last season before he got injured.  I came away quite impressed.  He was decisive, read the defense well, and has a reasonably quick release in addition to his big arm.  He throws the quick hitch as good as anyone, it was like telepathy between him and Andre Johnson.  It was a very windy day so couldn't really judge his deep ball.

Granted we only have 1 full game of film on this guy but he seems like the best chance to develop into a good starting QB from all the guys who will hit the open market.  I think Maccagnan has his eye on him with his history in Houston.

Couldn't help but laugh at that one. lol. 

Fine by me, he's 26 , has a live arm and some NFL seasoning sitting behind Brady .  Him, Geno and Sean Mannion as a developmental prospect and I have no issue. He has what Geno Smith should have had, seasoning behind a Veteran .

I watched him a lot at Arkansas and he was a legit prospect. Going to the Patriots and watching and learning from  Brady is such an advantage and he is by far the best QB in free agency.

At a dirt cheap price?  Sure.  But besides having a big arm, this guy hasn't done much to prove he's anything but a backup in the league.  I do like him better than some other retread options like Hoyer because I think the QB position is too valuable in the NFL to be signing these losers.  If your good QB goes down, you aren't going anywhere with the backup, so may as well lose out instead of limping towards .500.   Mallet atleast has some upside that you can dream on, so he's the type of backup that I would like, but I wouldn't bring him in with the money that warrants a QB competition, because he hasn't proven anything yet.  Basically hasn't even played in like 4 years.  

Warming to Mallett. For all the people who want QB 's to learn on the bench until they get their shot (Aaron Rodgers for example), this could be an interesting guy. Gotta trust Macc on this one. He has more upside than the rest of the garbage out there. Locker is the only other guy I'd consider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think Maccagnan has his eye on him with his history in Houston.

Why wouldn't he? He is a possibility although slim. Foles, Fitzpatrick or Hoyer look to be the likely veteran QB's the Jets could get. If they get none of them I say draft Mariota and go from there. Second round OL, third round LB, fourth round (by ridding ourselves of Harvin) RB or FS. 

Anyone not in favor of this move is simply being unrealistic - sure no one should be overjoyed but no reason to hate on it, there's literally no better option in FA.  A backup QB with all the tools to be a starter, he's big question mark but there's nothing else out there like that.  And this move doesn't preclude us from drafting Mariota or Winston.  I dare you to come up with a better option in free agency?

Mallett definitely has the most upside and probably is the best FA QB this year mostly due to his upside.  I think you know what you got in all the other QBs.  Pair Mallett with a QB friendly OC like Gailey and give him some dynamic weapons like we now have and we could be looking at something special.

If not for anything else this is the best case scenario minus getting Foles going into this season.

Archived