Revis return to pats up in the air

LAD_Brooklyn

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to see Seattle sign Revis.  I don't even know if they could afford it after re-signing Lynch.  But damn would I be a giddy little schoolgirl to see Sherman and Revis lined up together.

Aren't you one already?

Aren't you one already?

Stop stalking me!  Don't make me get another restraining order! :)

Revis may resign with Pats, but he is not forgoing free agency. This will be the first time he's a FA and can test the market

Pretty sure its the 2nd time he hits FA?  Just nobody wanted to pay him last year besides the Pats.

Jason Cole wrote this article so it should be avoided like a used piece of toilet paper. Cole is a parasite he used to write for the Fins got fired then went to Yahoo sports and now with bleacher report. He is a Dolphins homer and started the bashing of Geno as soon as the Jets drafted him F him.

Are you saying Revis is not the difference that gave the Pats* a chance to win the SB?

I know you said that he played for a discount for the great Pats* so why not pay the man who delivered the prize 

Butler is still on his undrafted rookie contract.  But when thats up, you are right they should pay the man who delivered the prize.

Revis may resign with Pats, but he is not forgoing free agency. This will be the first time he's a FA and can test the market

Agreed...Revis knows how much free agency money is out there this year.  You better believe he's going to test the market.

Are you saying Revis is not the difference that gave the Pats* a chance to win the SB?

I know you said that he played for a discount for the great Pats* so why not pay the man who delivered the prize

The Pats don't have 4 Lombardi trophies because they overpay players.

Picking up Revis option for $20 mil is asinine.

Tom Brady makes $15 million salary and bonus. You think the Pats should pay Revis 25% MORE than Brady? (hint: TB had a little something to do with bringing the SB in NE too)

The Pats don't have 4 Lombardi trophies because they overpay players.

Picking up Revis option for $20 mil is asinine.

Truth is I think winning the Superbowl this year made it much less likely he resigns.  He got his championship and nothing left to play for but money.  I would think. 

Pats, Revis talks haven’t happened yet, but will soon

Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2015, 7:40 PM EST
revis.jpg?w=365Getty Images

One of the biggest names in free agency belongs to someone who isn’t a free agent.  Patriots cornerback Darrelle Revis is signed through 2015, under a contract that pays out a fully-guaranteed $20 million if Revis is on the roster as of March 10.

Before the Patriots have to decide whether to keep Revis at what would be a cap number of $25 million, the Patriots and Revis will try to negotiate a long-term deal.  Per a source with knowledge of the situation, talks have not yet commenced.

They’ll necessarily begin soon.  But there’s a chance they won’t begin Monday.  Here’s our best guess (not report, but guess) on how they’ll unfold.

The Revis camp likely will know what other teams would pay Revis, if he becomes a free agent.  Technically tampering, it’s become common for agents to “gauge the market” when faced with a Door No. 1/Door No. 2 dilemma.

Though Revis has a reputation for chasing the biggest offer, he could decide to take less than what he could get elsewhere to stay with the Patriots.  The question becomes how much less would he take?

Another key factor likely will be the amount of money that is fully and completely guaranteed at signing.  At a time when the Seahawks may be considering a higher full guarantee as part of a deal with a lower annual average for Russell Wilson, a device like that could be a major factor for Revis.

However it works out, there are three options:  (1) Revis signs a new deal with the Patriots; (2) Revis is cut and signs a new deal with another team; or (3) the Patriots keep Revis at $20 million for 2015.

The third option is unlikely, because the parties contemplated that the contract signed in 2014 would be a one-year deal.  While Revis wouldn’t like it if the Patriots don’t cut Revis loose absent a new contract, he’d show up for work, earn the $20 million, and inevitably head toward the open market in 2017, since it would cost the Patriots a whopping $30 million to apply the franchise tag.

Archived