Cobb close to agreeing w/Raiders

prime21

If it happens do they still draft a WR??

@MMehtaNYDN: RT @ProFootbaIITaIk: Raiders have been in contact with agent for Randall Cobb since noon ET. Both sides expected to reach a deal in principle, sources tell PFT.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raiders have a very good, young QB.

This will now allow them to go Oline with their #1 draft pick.

And how the hell is Cobb overrated?

Because he's probably about to be making $12 million a season.

He's a good player. Not that good, however.

To join Oakland who is a team in disarray for a long time and be close to agreeing without fielding other calls means Dez, Calvin and the rest of the super WR's must be smiling .  Cobb is going to get something ridiculous.

Highly doubt it. Not with their 1st pick. They're building up the offense now to help out Carr so I'm sure they'll go O-Line in the draft.

Everybody can use edge rushers, that would be my guess. There isn't that franchise LT type in this year's draft worthy of a top five pick. Fans who want the Jets to take a WR at #6 should be very encouraged by this news.

To join Oakland who is a team in disarray for a long time and be close to agreeing without fielding other calls means Dez, Calvin and the rest of the super WR's must be smiling . Cobb is going to get something ridiculous.

Dez, Julio, and DeMaryius are certainly smiling, but I think Megatron has likely seen his last Megacontract.

Everybody can use edge rushers, that would be my guess. There isn't that franchise LT type in this year's draft worthy of a top five pick. Fans who want the Jets to take a WR at #6 should be very encouraged by this news.

Cooper will now be there at #6.

Do the Jets pull the trigger?

The Raiders will figure out a way to create a franchise LT worthy of a top 5-10 pick. There's just nothing available in the FA market. Maybe they'll go for a corner. I don't think they'll go pass rusher twice (Mack last year). Even if they have a need there, they can pick up one of those in free agency.

Cooper will now be there at #6.

Do the Jets pull the trigger?

I was hoping that the Jets would have a choice between two pass rushers and one WR, this may change that to two WRs and one pass rusher. Considering the Marshall trade, the WR would have to be rated significantly higher on their board to take one over the remaining edge rusher, IMHO.

The Raiders will figure out a way to create a franchise LT worthy of a top 5-10 pick. There's just nothing available in the FA market. Maybe they'll go for a corner. I don't think they'll go pass rusher twice (Mack last year). Even if they have a need there, they can pick up one of those in free agency.

I hope you're right. I'd be ecstatic if an offensive lineman went top five. Another better player for the Jets to choose from (or use as trade bait).

I was hoping that the Jets would have a choice between two pass rushers and one WR, this may change that to two WRs and one pass rusher. Considering the Marshall trade, the WR would have to be rated significantly higher on their board to take one over the remaining edge rusher, IMHO.

Agree

Think Jets could still take a WR later, but I'll be surprised if they take one at 6.

Either Mariota,  a pass rusher, or trade

If Cobb does go to the Raiders, the Jets will have a ton of options at #6.

Franchise changing moment with what they do with that pick.

Which opens up the window for them to trade back.  I still think they take Cooper/White - if not either they'll take Chip's draft...

Cooper still in play for Oakland, this will allow Oakland to move Cobb to slot. there is no OL worth taking at 4. Oakland could also deal with Philly

If they land Cobb, then Oakland can make a huge trade with Philly instead of White/Cooper and still get their OL later, another WR and a RB in round 2. This is far more likely than Philly allowing Mariotta to drop to #6 and then dealing with us.

If they land Cobb, then Oakland can make a huge trade with Philly instead of White/Cooper and still get their OL later, another WR and a RB in round 2. This is far more likely than Philly allowing Mariotta to drop to #6 and then dealing with us.

Yep but cost goes up for Iggles

Cooper still in play for Oakland, this will allow Oakland to move Cobb to slot. there is no OL worth taking at 4. Oakland could also deal with Philly

Exactly. He played ran 87 percent of his routes in the slot. Plus, James Jones and Andre Holmes are not going to keep them from drafting anyone.

Exactly. He played ran 87 percent of his routes in the slot. Plus, James Jones and Andre Holmes are not going to keep them from drafting anyone.

They just gave Holmes the lowest tender, too, which makes you think they're prepared to upgrade anyway. Giving Cobb $11 mil is like us giving David Harris $7--the Raiders have to actively try to burn cap space at this point, so who cares if they pay 30% over market for a guy they really want. 

I hope you're right. I'd be ecstatic if an offensive lineman went top five. Another better player for the Jets to choose from (or use as trade bait).

The Raiders always do everyone else a favor by picking up one of the busts. Last time we drafted right after them we ended up with Sheldon after they selected DJ Hayden.

They just gave Holmes the lowest tender, too, which makes you think they're prepared to upgrade anyway. Giving Cobb $11 mil is like us giving David Harris $7--the Raiders have to actively try to burn cap space at this point, so who cares if they pay 30% over market for a guy they really want. 

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/3/4/8148311/examining-randall-cobbs-free-agent-value-and-the-slot-receiver-label

Here's a pretty good article about his prospects for being an outside receiver.

Might be a three way trade. Getting the Jets Foles. Chip wants to dump Foles and Raiders don't need him. Raiders move to six. Jets trade 6 to Eagles. Jets move to 20 and the Eagles give up a boatload of picks.

Might be a three way trade. Getting the Jets Foles. Chip wants to dump Foles and Raiders don't need him. Raiders move to six. Jets trade 6 to Eagles. Jets move to 20 and the Eagles give up a boatload of picks.

How exactly does this work?

Signing Cobb absolutely does not stop them from taking White or Cooper. They have zero WRs and a young QB. Give Carr two legit targets and see if he can develop.

Or they can just take best pass rusher available - watch him and Mack get after the QB for half a decade

Archived