Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

Free agent OT Corey Hilliard will visit the Jets.

Hilliard missed most of last season after suffering a Lisfranc injury in Week 1. An eight-year veteran, Hilliard is a competent swing tackle when healthy. His next contract will likely be a one-year deal.
Related: Jets

Good to see that we are looking at tackles -- we have no depth on the roster beyond Brick and Breno.  I think the only other tackle on the current roster is last year's UDFA out of Nebraska -- Brent Qvale.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good, young, healthy, former third round picks don't sign one-year, $1.65M contracts in free agency. Those are reserved for potential reclamation projects - which is what Ellis is. Don't kid yourself, or be jaded by your hatred for a particular reporter, Ellis was essentially a bust.

Dude, nobody said Ellis is good. First of all. The guy has loads of potential, and the few times he's been given a shot he looked tremendous. But right now he's unproven. He's not good, he's not bad. He can be elite, he could be garbage. We don't know. But to call him a bust is beyond stupid. He was a 3rd round pick, a run stuffer, who did exactly that. He wasn't asked to do more than what we expected him to do. His contract is up, we wanted to retain him, he moved on for a bigger opportunity and a starting job instead of being stuck here behind Snacks. On what planet is that guy considered a bust? He wasn't cut. He wasn't drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. He's a 3rd rounder whose contract ran up, a guy we wanted to bring back, who was talking to half a dozen teams. And you're gonna call him a bust? Talk about hatred for a particular player. You sound bitter for whatever reason. So does Pastabello that fat, bald slob. Did he call Ellis a bust when he was with the Jets? Of course not.

Ellis did essentially nothing here , I'm not sure why we would consider him anything other than a disappointment, and yes even a bust.

Ellis was rank as a top run defender when he was healthy (I know as that was when?). As for his contract I bet any team would love to lock him up on a two year deal however Ellis most likely would rather take less and hit the market next season.

Percy Harvin agrees to a 3 year deals with the Bills

By signing Percy Harvin to a three-year contract and not the one-year deal as originally reported, the wide receiver's $3 million signing bonus can be prorated over the entire contract instead of just the one season, saving the Bills an expected $2 million of cap space in 2015, according to Bills Beat Blog.

Jason LaCanfora of CBSSports.com reported that Harvin signed a three-year, $24 million contract with the final two seasons voidable. The $3 million signing bonus will be spread out over 2015, 2016 and 2017 at $1 million per year. If the Bills void the deal after the 2015 season, the $2 million in dead money would be applied to their 2016 salary cap.

If the Bills keep Harvin past 2015, however, their cap numbers would significantly increase. With only a $4 million cap hit for Harvin in 2015, the remaining $20 million for the final two years would have to be accounted for in 2016 and 2017.

- Was impressed with Fitz's work ethic, leadership, Fitz has history with Chan as well. Great person, ability aside.

Listening to Macc is so calming by the way...

- Todd has history with Marshall so that helped.

- Mo is a good player, won't put a timeframe on when things will get done. (Doesn't sound like it'll happen anytime soon)

- Not worried about Brandon causing a big circus

- Dee still rehabbing, excited to see him get back on the field. Can't have enough good corners. Dex is also returning.

- Declines to comment on whether Dee will be on opening day roster. (See above.)

- Fitz still rehabbing, will be limited in OTA's.

- Liked Powell, unfortunately didn't get many opportunities the last couple years. Very valuable, wanted him back.

- Talking internally about whether to add Osi or not, no decision yet obviously.

- Doesn't want to evaluate the two top QB's and share it with the media.

- Adding Fitz doesn't mean we won't draft Mariota. No player is off the board based on who/how much depth we have.

The end.

This NY media is so ******* annoying. The questions they ask would ignite me. It's so annoying.

He knows how to handle the media, that's what I love about him. Sort of like BB. Somebody tries to get under his skin, he just rolls right over that guy like a Macc truck. Like a little speed bump. Those questions don't bother him one bit. Ask him again, he gives you the same answer. The more times you ask, the calmer he gets, and eventually you just give up.

Dude, nobody said Ellis is good. First of all. The guy has loads of potential, and the few times he's been given a shot he looked tremendous. But right now he's unproven. He's not good, he's not bad. He can be elite, he could be garbage. We don't know. But to call him a bust is beyond stupid. He was a 3rd round pick, a run stuffer, who did exactly that. He wasn't asked to do more than what we expected him to do. His contract is up, we wanted to retain him, he moved on for a bigger opportunity and a starting job instead of being stuck here behind Snacks. On what planet is that guy considered a bust? He wasn't cut. He wasn't drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. He's a 3rd rounder whose contract ran up, a guy we wanted to bring back, who was talking to half a dozen teams. And you're gonna call him a bust? Talk about hatred for a particular player. You sound bitter for whatever reason. So does Pastabello that fat, bald slob. Did he call Ellis a bust when he was with the Jets? Of course not.

Lol. I have no hatred for the player, I just have no love for him, either. These moments when he looked tremendous must've eluded me - as well as the rest of the league. He's never going to be elite. Maybe he's not garbage. Like I said to Fidelio, if you don't like the word bust, that's fine. At the very least, he's a disappointment. And I, personally, don't think the term bust is unfair. Third rounders should be expected to develop into competent/solid starters, Ellis has not done that to this point in his career. The contract he signed would suggest that no one else sees this elite potential you're projecting onto him, either. The Jets, loaded with cap space, could've easily matched or done better on the contract he signed. Letting him walk for a one year deal demonstrates that they just weren't that into him.  

This guy gets it.

Ellis did essentially nothing here , I'm not sure why we would consider him anything other than a disappointment, and yes even a bust.

The frustrating thing about Ellis was that he was drafted with a lot of baggage and there seemed to be a consensus among draft gurus that if he kept his nose clean, he could pay off big time because he had the measurable and the ability.  He did seem to keep his nose clean but then never really flashed the ability everyone raved about.  Did he stuff the run every now and again? Sure, but there were few, if any, splash plays.

She took the money and ran. I don't blame her, one bit. I would want to remove myself from the situation as quickly as possible.

Well then my comment stands, if she put money above nailing a creep for what he did she deserves blame.  Obviously not for the incident itself but for letting the jerk walk for a few bucks, if that is actually the case.

Lol. I have no hatred for the player, I just have no love for him, either. These moments when he looked tremendous must've eluded me - as well as the rest of the league. He's never going to be elite. Maybe he's not garbage. Like I said to Fidelio, if you don't like the word bust, that's fine. At the very least, he's a disappointment. And I, personally, don't think the term bust is unfair. Third rounders should be expected to develop into competent/solid starters, Ellis has not done that to this point in his career. The contract he signed would suggest that no one else sees this elite potential you're projecting onto him, either. The Jets, loaded with cap space, could've easily matched or done better on the contract he signed. Letting him walk for a one year deal demonstrates that they just weren't that into him.  

It didn't make a difference what our offer was. He was stuck here behind Snacks, that's the deal breaker. I mean just put yourself in his position. What good is a backup job if there is no light at the end of the tunnel? Why would he waste another year by backing up Snacks? His market value is not going to go up. And next year he'll be again in the same exact situation. You'd do the same, trust me. Bite the bullet, take a small 1 year deal and jump on the opportunity to be a starter. That starting job is worth more than whatever millions somebody is going to offer him to be a backup. I rather play for 200k for that year and be given a starting job instead of getting 5 snaps per game as a backup with a 2 mil. salary. I'm just going by one year. Now it's up to him. He plays well, he stays healthy, he's getting a fat long term contract next year and that's what he's shooting for. Career wise it wouldn't have made any sense for him to re-sign with us.

The frustrating thing about Ellis was that he was drafted with a lot of baggage and there seemed to be a consensus among draft gurus that if he kept his nose clean, he could pay off big time because he had the measurable and the ability. He did seem to keep his nose clean but then never really flashed the ability everyone raved about. Did he stuff the run every now and again? Sure, but there were few, if any, splash plays.

Reminds me of Cofield... Nice, disruptive force. Cofield never really became more than that. Hopefully, Ellis does.

It didn't make a difference what our offer was. He was stuck here behind Snacks, that's the deal breaker. I mean just put yourself in his position. What good is a backup job if there is no light at the end of the tunnel? Why would he waste another year by backing up Snacks? His market value is not going to go up. And next year he'll be again in the same exact situation. You'd do the same, trust me. Bite the bullet, take a small 1 year deal and jump on the opportunity to be a starter. That starting job is worth more than whatever millions somebody is going to offer him to be a backup. I rather play for 200k for that year and be given a starting job instead of getting 5 snaps per game as a backup with a 2 mil. salary. I'm just going by one year. Now it's up to him. He plays well, he stays healthy, he's getting a fat long term contract next year and that's what he's shooting for. Career wise it wouldn't have made any sense for him to re-sign with us.

Again, lol. 

The Jets didn't want him. The new regime does not view Ellis as a talented guy stuck behind more talented players, they saw him as completely expendable. An example of a player Bowles and Maccagnan do view that way would be Bilal Powell. He's in the same boat you're describing, and yet the Jets went out of their way to sign him for $2M this year to keep him off the market. Ellis? They let him hit free agency and walk for $1.65M, all while entertaining other DTs in free agency. They had no interest in him, and for good reason. If the team offered him the same contract they gave Powell, he'd still be a Jet. 

MedxWKg4_normal.jpeg Brian Costello @BrianCoz  ·  11m 11 minutes ago

The Jets and former Giants OL James Brewer have agreed to a one-year deal, per source. #nyj

With all of the guards we are bringing in I believe we may be converting Dakota Dozier back to LT

as the future replacement for Brick

Hm. You think he can handle LT? He doesn't seem like that kind of athlete. He's a bit too short, more of a run blocker from what I've heard. Guard/RT material IMO but we've barely seen him play.

Hm. You think he can handle LT? He doesn't seem like that kind of athlete. He's a bit too short, more of a run blocker from what I've heard. Guard/RT material IMO but we've barely seen him play.

He was an LT coming out of Furman so he's used to the position.  Plus we have so many interior OLinemen

right now:

Carpenter

Aboushi

Winters

Colon

Brewer

Wesley Johnson

In addition what the old staff saw in Dozier (he should play guard) doesn't mean the new staff feels the same

MedxWKg4_normal.jpeg Brian Costello @BrianCoz  ·  11m 11 minutes ago

The Jets and former Giants OL James Brewer have agreed to a one-year deal, per source. #nyj

With all of the guards we are bringing in I believe we may be converting Dakota Dozier back to LT

as the future replacement for Brick

They're all one year deals. IMHO, the thinking is more along the lines of hedging their bets against all the linemen Idzik brought in the previous two years. I'm sure they'd like an Aboushi or Dozier to step up and start at guard, but they don't want to be caught with their pants down at the position, either. Jets will be making a lot of OL cuts come summertime. 

The Buffalo Bills have a new tight end, as the Miami Dolphins have decided not to match the Bills' five-year offer for Charles Clay, sources told ESPN.com on Thursday.

{C}

Clay Getting A Lot Of Bills From Buffalo

Charles Clay's contract with the Bills is expected to be worth over $20M in guaranteed money, which would make him one of the five highest-paid tight ends in the NFL.

Tight end, team Guaranteed Julius Thomas, Jax $24M Vernon Davis, S.F. $23M Jimmy Graham, Sea. $20.9M Antonio Gates, S.D. $20.4M Charles Clay, Buff. Over $20M<< >>According to ESPN reports >>Source: ESPN Stats & Information

According to the Buffalo News, the value of the deal would be $38 million, with more than $20 million guaranteed.

The Dolphins had placed their transition tag on Clay, which gave them five days to match or decline the offer. As a result, the Dolphins will gain $7.071 million in cap room by pulling the transition tag.

Buffalo has been in hot pursuit of Clay since the start of free agency. He visited the team last week, and that meeting led to his eventual offer.

The Dolphins signed former Cleveland Browns tight end Jordan Cameron to a two-year, $15 million contract last week to provide insurance. 

Clay, 26, battled through knee and hamstring injuries most of last season but still finished third on the team with 58 receptions for 605 yards. He also improved as a run-blocker.

The Dolphins selected Clay in the sixth round in 2011. He became a full-time starter for Miami the past two seasons.

Archived