Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be a lot more than $10M unless we front-loaded everyone. Revis is obviously frontloaded (or more accurately, evenly-loaded over the first 3 years). 

Started with ~$65M ($54-55M I think it was, before cutting Harvin and saving $10.5M).

Harris -$7.5M = $57.5M left

Marshall -$7.7M = $50M left

Revis -$16M = $34M left

Powell -$2M = $32M left

Carpenter's and Skline's contracts average $4.75M and $6.25M respectively. But that doesn't mean it's $11M in year 1.
Assume it's $11M for both, because it's not more than that = ~$22M left

I don't know if my starting point is accurate, but it's probably within a couple million of $20M in either direction. Could be closer to $25M if Carpenter and Skline deals are more traditionally structured, where year 1 is a low hit and their pay this year is mostly or significantly from signing bonus.

Or just wait for Jason, lol.

Nice. Hopefully this is accurate, it creates even more opportunity for us.

No need to go overboard:

- Sign Gilchrist for S

- Sign a veteran blocking TE

- Pick up Fitzpatrick for QB

- Sign Canty for DL depth

After that draft:

#1 - OLB

#2 - WR

#3 - ILB

#4 - RB

Allowing that it could just be a rumor, the Boston Herald’s Jeff Howe says (Twitter links) says he’s heard that the Patriots dropped out of the running for Darrelle Revis last night, forcing the Jets to bid against themselves. If so, it doesn’t seem to have lowered the CB’s price, as Revis secured a three-year, $48MM deal from New York.

Boston Herald?? LMFAO!!!!!!!! 

Allowing that it could just be a rumor, the Boston Herald’s Jeff Howe says (Twitter links) says he’s heard that the Patriots dropped out of the running for Darrelle Revis last night, forcing the Jets to bid against themselves. If so, it doesn’t seem to have lowered the CB’s price, as Revis secured a three-year, $48MM deal from New York.

Bills, Packers, Browns and I think the Raiders all surfaced today in rumors connected to Revis. 

This is just a Pats homer writer slurping his fan base. Ignore it. It's not even logical, let alone truthful.

Well part of me wonders with Wilkerson if we can just franchise tag him next year, and then resign him the year after when some of the money opens up?  

Great day with Revis coming back, makes our defense elite again.  Now we can go LB in the first and WR in the second, both of which seem strong in this draft class.   

Jetlife this is directed at Boston Herald not you but what a joke….We were bidding against ourselves? like the Pats still outsmarted us somehow? by letting us sign their best defensive player…ok clowns.

@SiriusXMNFL: Mickey Loomis: We have to improve ourselves on defense; will use resources acquired in @TheJimmyGraham trade to do that #Saints

@SiriusXMNFL: Loomis on if @drewbrees was asked to restructure his contract: "No" #Saints

@SiriusXMNFL: #Saints GM Mickey Loomis "We felt we needed to make a bold move and we did"

AUDIO: http://t.co/hbhlDQoiUV

#Saints @TheJimmyGraham

@SiriusXMNFL: Mickey Loomis: We have to improve ourselves on defense; will use resources acquired in @TheJimmyGraham trade to do that #Saints

@SiriusXMNFL: Loomis on if @drewbrees was asked to restructure his contract: "No" #Saints

@SiriusXMNFL: #Saints GM Mickey Loomis "We felt we needed to make a bold move and we did"

AUDIO: http://t.co/hbhlDQoiUV

#Saints @TheJimmyGraham

if you want to improve your defense why not just fire Rob Ryan instead of trading Graham for resources

Well part of me wonders with Wilkerson if we can just franchise tag him next year, and then resign him the year after when some of the money opens up?  

Great day with Revis coming back, makes our defense elite again.  Now we can go LB in the first and WR in the second, both of which seem strong in this draft class.   

Yeah, I think we have options, it's not an imperative that we extend Mo Wilk this year. 

Conner J Hughes on Twitter writes:

SOURCE: Even with Revis signed, #Jets are still interested in CB Antonio Cromartie. Source: “Talks are still alive"

I hope this is true.

Revis and Cro with Skrine at the nickle with Macdougle and Milliner for the dime and reserve is a pretty damn good bunch.  That's assuming Mac and Milliner beats out Walls and that new kid ( I foget his name at the moment) for the final two spots which isn't a lock.

Wilk already has a 6.9 cap # this year. They could back load an extension and only add 2-3 million onto this year's cap if they wanted. And they'd still have 6 or 7M to play with in FA

I hope this is true.

Revis and Cro with Skrine at the nickle with Macdougle and Milliner for the dime and reserve is a pretty damn good bunch.  That's assuming Mac and Milliner beats out Walls and that new kid ( I foget his name at the moment) for the final two spots which isn't a lock.

cro is hit or miss. he always has been. I would offer him a 1 year deal. if milliner can stay healthy, he is a lock for the #2. cro would be the insurance policy. if milliner cant stay healthy and cro plays decent, you resign him the next year and cut bait with milliner

Yeah, I think we have options, it's not an imperative that we extend Mo Wilk this year. 

I got yelled at yesterday for disagreeing that we should have extended Wilkerson last year instead of letting him play for $1M (and putting the permanent injury risk on Mo not us). And it wasn't for the only acceptable reason either (sympathy for Mo).

We could extend him now if it turns out we're done, but there's no rush until after the draft (other than to be nicer).

We can wait until next year when Ferguson's number gets readdressed (we ain't letting him carry a $14M cap number for '16 and '17).

I got yelled at yesterday for disagreeing that we should have extended Wilkerson last year instead of letting him play for $1M (and putting the permanent injury risk on Mo not us). And it wasn't for the only acceptable reason either (sympathy for Mo).

We could extend him now if it turns out we're done, but there's no rush until after the draft (other than to be nicer).

We can wait until next year when Ferguson's number gets readdressed (we ain't letting him carry a $14M cap number for '16 and '17).

I think we should take what we have left in FA and use it for new players.

Then restructure Brick, and find a way to use that to extend Mo. Might have to borrow a little from the new player pot to get it done, but mostly restructuring Brick should add years to Mo.

Keep the nucleus.

Conner J Hughes on Twitter writes:

SOURCE: Even with Revis signed, #Jets are still interested in CB Antonio Cromartie. Source: “Talks are still alive"

Hard to imagine giving Cro the 6m he is asking for. The secondary would look insane with a Revis/Cro/Skrine/Miliner line-up though.

Maybe move Cro to free safety? He certainly has the range.

So the Jets then might go 6-10. Rex is then brought back.

No thank you.

no way the jets only go 6-10 with the corners we have now plus cro. the secondary was eaten alive on a weekly basis

rex was a good defensive coach for the jets with many flaws. rex was no worse than average

idzik had no business running an nfl front office. none. nada. zero

it has yet to be seen that bowles will be better

maccags has already buried idzik alive

I think we should take what we have left in FA and use it for new players.

Then restructure Brick, and find a way to use that to extend Mo. Might have to borrow a little from the new player pot to get it done, but mostly restructuring Brick should add years to Mo.

Keep the nucleus.

Meh. I'm not gung-ho on extending Brick until I see how he plays this year. He's already been on a noticeable decline. He may not be part of that nucleus you speak of.

I'm just saying extending Mo is no problem. Wouldn't even have to backload it and screw ourselves later by loading up on signing bonus instead of higher guaranteed early salaries. But I'd make damn sure we're done with needing that extra few million this year. If we sign a couple more guys and then redo Mo's deal and then find out we're $6M short if/when a favorable Brees deal appears? Ugh.

Most likely we're going to have plenty to extend him soon. I don't see us adding another $20M in new players unless one is a high-priced QB. Only 2 such players available are Brees (if it's even true) and Cutler. We're not taking the latter so I don't see enough players out there for us to use all of it up.

Archived