2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sandy wins Exec of the Year. The first 80 pages or so of this thread just got a lot more hilarious.

I never understood the Mets fans hatred of Sandy. He was left with a disaster, absolute disaster, of a major league roster, with a high payroll to boot, and owners who had either no money, or no apetite, to spend. The guy did exactly what he should have, he let the young guys develop, beefed up the farm even more, cleared out the payroll, and made some fantastic trades.

I never understood the Mets fans hatred of Sandy. He was left with a disaster, absolute disaster, of a major league roster, with a high payroll to boot, and owners who had either no money, or no apetite, to spend. The guy did exactly what he should have, he let the young guys develop, beefed up the farm even more, cleared out the payroll, and made some fantastic trades.

They hated him because he is one step closer to the Wilpons, so thought to be a hand puppet of their miserly ways, as well he is patient and will not knee jerk decisions. When an org has not won in some time, fans want the quick win

They hated him because he is one step closer to the Wilpons, so thought to be a hand puppet of their miserly ways, as well he is patient and will not knee jerk decisions. When an org has not won in some time, fans want the quick win

I get the wanting the quick win, but I just never saw any quick wins available, even if the Wilpons were able to buy it.

Adam Rubin ESPN Staff Writer 

Bumped into a Mets official who said the team is "pretty optimistic" they'll land Ben Zobrist. No guarantee, but Mets like their chances. Appears as though Washington is primary competition.

Adam Rubin ESPN Staff Writer 

Bumped into a Mets official who said the team is "pretty optimistic" they'll land Ben Zobrist. No guarantee, but Mets like their chances. Appears as though Washington is primary competition.

He wants a set position and the Giants offered him left field, so it's gotta be between us and the Nats at this point. In the event that we do land him I wonder if we Wilmer back on the block.

Didn't see us offering him 4 at all. I'd be shocked if it happened. Washington would definitely offer that, but not us.

Niese to Pitt for Neil Walker. That's a great trade. I liked the idea of making Niese a full-time BP guy but I'll definitely take Walker instead of that. Nice bridge to Dilson.

Perfect trade.  Much better than handing a 34-year old who can't play effective defense $56M over 4.

Perfect trade.  Much better than handing a 34-year old who can't play effective defense $56M over 4.

Would definitely take this over what the Cubs had to commit to Zobrist, or trading for the rest of Castro's deal. This offers a nice bridge to Dilson and gets us some fair value in retrun for Niese, who we aren't going to have any room for once Wheeler comes back. I really liked the idea of making him a bullpen guy full time, he seemed to be comfortable with it in the playoffs and looked better than he had in ages. I'm a bit sad to see him go, he's certainly not anywhere near an all-time great Met, but he pitched decent for this franchise for a long time, through some tough times. Crazily enough he's tenth in total games started for the franchise and K's. One more year and he would have surely made it into the top ten for wins too.

Best part is Sandy still has money to spend. Now go get Parra and some BP help.

Zobrist vs Walker comparison, last 3 seasons:

Zobrist (4 years, $14M per)

2013:  .354 OBP/.402 SLG/.756 OPS, 4.0 offensive WAR, 1.2 defensive WAR

2014:  .354/.395/.749, 4.1 oWAR, 1.2 dWAR

2015:  .359/.450/.809, 3.1 oWAR, -1.3 dWAR

Walker (1-year stop-gap, made $8M last season)

2013:  .339 OBP/.418 SLG/.757 OPS, 2.9 offensive WAR, 1.2 defensive WAR

2014:  .342/.467/.809, 3.8 oWAR, 0.0 dWAR

2015:  .328/.427/.756, 2.6 oWAR, 0.1 dWAR

NOTE:  100 % of Walker's games the last 3 years were at 2B.  64% were at 2B for Zobrist in that same span. 

They turned a pitcher that they aren’t going to have room for into a quality starting second baseman for the season with no long-term commitments or risk, there’s nothing not to like about this. For me, the thing I love about it the most is that it shows they're still going for it this year, but aren't going to sacrifice the confidence they have in the younger prospects and more importantly success built on a sustainable farm system.

A little bit of the injury concern with Walker as he always seems to miss some time but definitely the equal of Murphy w/more power offensively and a better defensive 2nd Baseman.

The price tag was perfect.   I would have loved taking the chance on Castro as the Yanks did well there IMO.  With Walker when you consider the money left on his deal and what we gave up...can't really complain too much.

MLB Daily Dish's Chris Cotillo reports that the Mets are finalizing a contract with free agent shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera.

Per Cotillo, the deal will be of the two-year variety with a team option. Further reports have indicated that the contract will be worth $18.5 million once the shortstop has passed his physical. Cabrera hit .265/.315/.430 with 15 homers and 58 RBI in 505 at-bats with the Rays in 2015. The Yankees and White Sox were among the teams in the running for Cabrera's services, but it's the Mets that ultimately swooped in to secure the 30-year-old

So you guys got neil Walker and asdrubal Cabrera? Not bad. Big fan of Neil Walker. He's an upgrade over Murph. Asdrubal Cabrera is your starting shortstop I presume. I'd probably rather roll with Flores. 

Flores defense would hurt too much over the course of a 162 game season.  I actually came around  to liking Tejada at SS just fine.

It seems Alderson is trying to add a little pop via his middle infield to make up for the big loss of Cespedes.

I still think he needs to add a power bat in the outfield ..... preferably CF but doubt we see that.

Flores defense would hurt too much over the course of a 162 game season.  I actually came around  to liking Tejada at SS just fine.

It seems Alderson is trying to add a little pop via his middle infield to make up for the big loss of Cespedes.

I still think he needs to add a power bat in the outfield ..... preferably CF but doubt we see that.

so that is remedied with Asdrubal Cabrera?

Like Neil Walker trade, do not like Cabrera.

Pretty solid day for Alderson. Upgrades over both Murph and Johnson. Money left to spend for Span or Parra, maybe even Ces if the rumors are true about him willing to do the one-year thing. Also looks like we're bringing Tolo back, which provides some Montero insurance until Wheeler is ready to go. I'm also wondering if we'll be latecomers into the Sipp sweepstakes.

Pretty crazy how all of this stuff happened as soon as Zobrist went to Chicago.

So you guys got neil Walker and asdrubal Cabrera? Not bad. Big fan of Neil Walker. He's an upgrade over Murph. Asdrubal Cabrera is your starting shortstop I presume. I'd probably rather roll with Flores. 

Not sure how much of us you have watched the past few years but that would be a bad roll of the dice.

The thing they realized with him this year is he's better platooning and seeing the majority of his time at second. Main guys at short are going to be Cabrera and Tejada, whom they still haven't given up on (nor should they).

But yeah, Wilmer performed admirably at short in the playoffs when Tejada went down, way better than he usually is, but reality is he's a terrible shortstop. That would be a disastrous move for the infield.

My guess is if Dilson looks legit ready this year, they'll probably shop Wilmer again. But I still think Dilson's a good year away and better off getting more innings in the minors. Kind of why I love the Walker move so much. Literally a zero risk move that takes a ton of pressure off Dilson coming along and the organization in figuring out when to bring him up.

Not sure how much of us you have watched the past few years but that would be a bad roll of the dice.

The thing they realized with him this year is he's better platooning and seeing the majority of his time at second. Main guys at short are going to be Cabrera and Tejada, whom they still haven't given up on (nor should they).

But yeah, Wilmer performed admirably at short in the playoffs when Tejada went down, way better than he usually is, but reality is he's a terrible shortstop. That would be a disastrous move for the infield.

My guess is if Dilson looks legit ready this year, they'll probably shop Wilmer again. But I still think Dilson's a good year away and better off getting more innings in the minors. Kind of why I love the Walker move so much. Literally a zero risk move that takes a ton of pressure off Dilson coming along and the organization in figuring out when to bring him up.

I think at this point in their careers Flores is better defensively than Cabrera and that's saying something. Cabrera towards the end of last year couldn't play the position. Cabrera surprisingly is only 30 years old but plays older. Like I said I really like the Neil Walker addition, he's legit. Cabrera though is a weird move especially since it's 2 guaranteed years. 

The trade for Neil Walker was a good one for the Mets, although Law is puzzled by the team’s addition of Asdrubal Cabrera. Cabrera’s deal would make sense if he were a second baseman, but with Walker in the fold, Cabrera will play shortstop, a position he can no longer play well. The Walker trade reflects the Mets’ skepticism that Dilson Herrera can take over second base next season, but Walker is a consistently solid player, and the Mets only gave up Jon Niese, who didn’t figure to play an important role for them going forward.

so that is remedied with Asdrubal Cabrera?

Like Neil Walker trade, do not like Cabrera.

They are giving themselves depth and options. What Collins was a master at was moving people in and out of the line-up last year and taking advantage of match-ups. It also provided competition and motivation for the players. 

Last year the Mets had a AAA bench. They now are getting players that are on the bench that could start for other clubs. 

I would take Cabrera's numbers last year over Castro's. ;)

I think at this point in their careers Flores is better defensively than Cabrera and that's saying something. Cabrera towards the end of last year couldn't play the position. Cabrera surprisingly is only 30 years old but plays older. Like I said I really like the Neil Walker addition, he's legit. Cabrera though is a weird move especially since it's 2 guaranteed years. 

maybe Cabrera wouldn't tail off during second half if they reduced his innings bringing in Tejada or Flores. Limited to 100-120 games might help.

Tejada and now Flores are coming off injuries plus David Wright can not play every day- flexibility now to play guys It will be up to Collins to get the most out of everyone. Walker is a nice player liked him for awhile.

Archived