2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for the Mets.  Would've been hilarious to think this in May, but they a very well constructed team and have a great shot to win it all.

On a side note, what is WITH all of these teams (I saw the Jays, Cubs, and Mets clinch) acting like they won the World Series when they polished off the divisional round?  Maybe my memory is really really short, but I can't remember ridiculous on-field celebrations like this.  (the locker room, yes, I get it with the champagne)

What a series for Murph!  I mean, crazy.  I've been so mean to him all year long, literally bashing him every second I get but man was he clutch this series.  I was at my lucky seat in the bar last night and the dude next to me played ball with Murph (he's from Jax), he took a picture of the group and sent it to him.  No response, obviously but we were losing it and the bar was pulling the Mets because Murph is a local boy.  He's got to be on cloud 9 right now.  Dude was the best hitter in the series and it was vs. Kershaw and Grenkie, in his first ever playoff appearance.

The heads up base running was the difference.  You look back at it and have to wonder, wtf was Mattingly thinking?  I mean, I get the shift but Duda literally cant touch the ball right now.  He's terrible.  As easy of an out as it comes.  And to do it with a runner on and then have the 3rd baseman just walk back after the strike out.  Amazing!

Good for the Mets.  Would've been hilarious to think this in May, but they a very well constructed team and have a great shot to win it all.

On a side note, what is WITH all of these teams (I saw the Jays, Cubs, and Mets clinch) acting like they won the World Series when they polished off the divisional round?  Maybe my memory is really really short, but I can't remember ridiculous on-field celebrations like this.  (the locker room, yes, I get it with the champagne)

I cant either and made the same observation last night...but it was fun seeing the Mets in one of those celebrations ;-)

What a series for Murph!  I mean, crazy.  I've been so mean to him all year long, literally bashing him every second I get but man was he clutch this series.  I was at my lucky seat in the bar last night and the dude next to me played ball with Murph (he's from Jax), he took a picture of the group and sent it to him.  No response, obviously but we were losing it and the bar was pulling the Mets because Murph is a local boy.  He's got to be on cloud 9 right now.  Dude was the best hitter in the series and it was vs. Kershaw and Grenkie, in his first ever playoff appearance.

The heads up base running was the difference.  You look back at it and have to wonder, wtf was Mattingly thinking?  I mean, I get the shift but Duda literally cant touch the ball right now.  He's terrible.  As easy of an out as it comes.  And to do it with a runner on and then have the 3rd baseman just walk back after the strike out.  Amazing!

It would have been Seager's responsibility to get to 3rd, because he was the man on the left side of the infield.

Really, the catcher has to take control there and make the infield and Grienke aware. The catcher has a view of the entire play.

Great head's up play by Murphy, and it was a true game changer.

And Ethier should have dropped that ball right? No clue how that play works but I know I was surprised he caught it.

I think he made the right play. It's the top of the 4th, you're up 2-1. You drop that, and while the next pitch could be a double play, it could also be a 3 run HR. 

At worst, you make that catch, allow a tying run to score as opposed to leading run, and are one out away from getting out of the inning in a tied game with 6 innings of at-bats left. 

Either way, without Murphy's heady base running, we wouldn't even be talking about this. All credit in the world to Murphy for last night. 

I think he made the right play. It's the top of the 4th, you're up 2-1. You drop that, and while the next pitch could be a double play, it could also be a 3 run HR. 

At worst, you make that catch, allow a tying run to score as opposed to leading run, and are one out away from getting out of the inning in a tied game with 6 innings of at-bats left. 

Either way, without Murphy's heady base running, we wouldn't even be talking about this. All credit in the world to Murphy for last night. 

4th inning, you do not give away outs. He has to catch that ball.

So, how do I convince my chick that our trip to NYC this weekend just turned into a Mets/Jets themed weekend and not all this other stuff she has planned for us?

Tickets arent cheap for Game 1...but I mean, when I will I be in NY when the Mets are in the NLCS ever again?

So, how do I convince my chick that our trip to NYC this weekend just turned into a Mets/Jets themed weekend and not all this other stuff she has planned for us?

Tickets arent cheap for Game 1...but I mean, when I will I be in NY when the Mets are in the NLCS ever again?

I would hope she would know you have to love you as a sports addict

I would hope she would know you have to love you as a sports addict

haha - wait till you meet her...she could give a flying ****. Nah, just kidding.  She set up this whole weekend around going to the Joe Namath hosted event on Sat. and for us to go the game on Sunday, so she gets it...but adding that to the list might be not be the best idea if I want to keep her around. :)

haha - wait till you meet her...she could give a flying ****. Nah, just kidding.  She set up this whole weekend around going to the Joe Namath hosted event on Sat. and for us to go the game on Sunday, so she gets it...but adding that to the list might be not be the best idea if I want to keep her around. :)

I didn't know you were a relationship guy, lol.

Don't gators wear the pants in the family?:D

I get the math behind it, just curious if when you have a guy like Greinke on the mound you take that risk. Interesting play for sure.

Agreed, I was calling it 2 innings before that we'd see Utley in the 9th.  When you no longer care about defense and need a run, sending up a veteran lefty bat to start an inning makes a lot of sense.

Yes. I'm sure it's just a coincidence of strategy that we never saw Utley in NY, and then in the biggest inning of Mattingly's career, he finally brings him in. The guy is a coward and a troll and that was a bait move. Plain and simple.

Pretty sure he was looking for either 

1) a pop from Utley (and Utley did just miss a hanger) or

2) For Utley to get on base to start the inning.

How is that a "dick move"?

Agreed.

Actually, what came to mind when I saw it was 2b) get him hit by a pitch, but Familia did not bite.

I looked up a stat the other day with a friend, Utley is 12th most in league history to be hit by pitches. I don't think he was worried about getting beaned and was probably hoping he would.

Yes. I'm sure it's just a coincidence of strategy that we never saw Utley in NY, and then in the biggest inning of Mattingly's career, he finally brings him in. The guy is a coward and a troll and that was a bait move. Plain and simple.

You really are ridiculous if you believe that Mattingly used Utley as more of a "bait" move to the Mets, rather than trying his best to win the game.

Let's use our heads here.

Agreed.

Actually, what came to mind when I saw it was 2b) get him hit by a pitch, but Familia did not bite.

I looked up a stat the other day with a friend, Utley is 12th most in league history to be hit by pitches. I don't think he was worried about getting beaned and was probably hoping he would.

Of course he was hoping he would. That's the point. Mattingly stuck him out there for that, and figured the odds were increased because of what he did in game 2. That's a ******* bait move.

Ticket prices for NLCS skyrocketing

34m

The average ticket re-sale price for the three NLCS games at Wrigley Field is $1,228.16, according to TiqIQ. That's nearly double the previous high for an LCS series this decade, which was $662.64 for the Giants in 2012. The average prices for the games in New York is $838.40.

34m

The average ticket re-sale price for the three NLCS games at Wrigley Field is $1,228.16, according to TiqIQ. That's nearly double the previous high for an LCS series this decade, which was $662.64 for the Giants in 2012. The average prices for the games in New York is $838.40.

That is just insane

34m

My son just texted me and asked if we could go. I politely told him it wasn't possible. 

Hope the place is shaking like old Shea.

Archived