2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that was fun.  Harvey looking like Harvey again (after a shaky 1st).  4 hits on the game, but 3 of them HRs.  Seemed like we went the entire month of June without a HR and suddenly our last 10 runs have been scored on HRs.

6 out of 8 after that disastrous route against the Cubs. 3 straight series wins, against the NL West to boot. Regardless of what happens tomorrow this is just a fantastic way to head into the break. Always said the goal of any team should be to be at .500 at the break. Anyone at .500 can make the playoffs. Mets have a ton of games against the Nats in the second half of the season too.

6 out of 8 after that disastrous route against the Cubs. 3 straight series wins, against the NL West to boot. Regardless of what happens tomorrow this is just a fantastic way to head into the break. Always said the goal of any team should be to be at .500 at the break. Anyone at .500 can make the playoffs. Mets have a ton of games against the Nats in the second half of the season too.

The Mets have been at or near .500 at the ASB for the past six years. Then Sandy talks about how stupid all the teams that made deals at the deadline were, then the bow breaks.

The Mets have been at or near .500 at the ASB for the past six years. Then Sandy talks about how stupid all the teams that made deals at the deadline were, then the bow breaks.

Until the Matz injury, I would have liked to see Sandy move Niese for a bat, but now, that is off the table.  IMO, you can't move any of the 5 starters without weakening the team for the balance of this year.  Right now, our options are limited.  Wheeler and Montero are hurt,  Niese is needed in the rotation.  Bart is too old and expensive to get much in return.  And Harvey, Thor and deGrom are near untouchable.

Maybe we make a deal for a vet like Aramis Ramirez (which only makes sense if Wright is not going to be back anytime soon), who should cost next to nothing given his age and salary, but I really think our options are limited.

Such a tough call. On paper he's certainly worth one, but there is something to be said when all of a guy's teammates want him gone.

Puig has all the talent but makes bone head plays - I would not give up any of out guys for him even as a fantasy play

Puig has all the talent but makes bone head plays - I would not give up any of out guys for him even as a fantasy play

The problem is the days of the perceived superstar are over. Everyone knows about all his baggage. Any trade would be about saving face for them at this point.

Until the Matz injury, I would have liked to see Sandy move Niese for a bat, but now, that is off the table. IMO, you can't move any of the 5 starters without weakening the team for the balance of this year. Right now, our options are limited. Wheeler and Montero are hurt, Niese is needed in the rotation. Bart is too old and expensive to get much in return. And Harvey, Thor and deGrom are near untouchable.

Maybe we make a deal for a vet like Aramis Ramirez (which only makes sense if Wright is not going to be back anytime soon), who should cost next to nothing given his age and salary, but I really think our options are limited.

I'll be interested to see how much of Ramirez's contract the Brewers will eat in order to dump him, which I imagine is the only stumbling block toward getting that deal done already. That's where I think Segura comes in--as the enticement to take on anything more than a shiny nickel of Ramirez's $14 mil.

I think the Mets should operate as though Matz will be back in a month. While it sounds nice to hoard pitchers, doing so at the expense of both the defense and offense is ridiculous.

I'll be interested to see how much of Ramirez's contract the Brewers will eat in order to dump him, which I imagine is the only stumbling block toward getting that deal done already. That's where I think Segura comes in--as the enticement to take on anything more than a shiny nickel of Ramirez's $14 mil.

I think the Mets should operate as though Matz will be back in a month. While it sounds nice to hoard pitchers, doing so at the expense of both the defense and offense is ridiculous.

What pitcher are you willing to move right now.  With Wheeler, Montero & Matz all hurt, we really do not have any young pitchers that we could trade without weakening our rotation.

Before the Matz injury, I would have been happy moving Niese for a bat.  Right now, with uncertainty around Matz return, I think we need Niese for this year.  Having 10+ guys on the DL really limits their trade options.

What pitcher are you willing to move right now. With Wheeler, Montero & Matz all hurt, we really do not have any young pitchers that we could trade without weakening our rotation.

Before the Matz injury, I would have been happy moving Niese for a bat. Right now, with uncertainty around Matz return, I think we need Niece for this year. Having 10+ guys on the DL really limits their trade options.

If Alderson comes out and says--yet again--that he couldn't make a deal at the deadline with all of this pitching depth, then we know that the organization is just a piece of equity that the Wilpons are holding on to in order to avoid living in a van down by the river. This building for the future crap is well past its expiration date at this point, and now they're just jerking themselves off. I'm not sure what people think Sandy is actually doing here as a profession other than hiding Fred and Jeff in the basement. His lone success has been the Syndegaard trade, and he made that one by trading the one-time piece of flotsam that Omar brought in who ended up winning a Cy Young. The only behavior the organization has consistently displayed is dumping salary for prospects, then burning what's left of their nothing budget on scrubs like Cuddyer and Chris Young.

We do the same thing every year with this team--celebrate their .500-ness, then watch them passively wallow through the second half of the season wondering why they can't keep pace in the NL with Wilmer Flores batting cleanup. It's frustrating and a con job by management.

If Alderson comes out and says--yet again--that he couldn't make a deal at the deadline with all of this pitching depth, then we know that the organization is just a piece of equity that the Wilpons are holding on to in order to avoid living in a van down by the river. This building for the future crap is well past its expiration date at this point, and now they're just jerking themselves off. I'm not sure what people think Sandy is actually doing here as a profession other than hiding Fred and Jeff in the basement. His lone success has been the Syndegaard trade, and he made that one by trading the one-time piece of flotsam that Omar brought in who ended up winning a Cy Young. The only behavior the organization has consistently displayed is dumping salary for prospects, then burning what's left of their nothing budget on scrubs like Cuddyer and Chris Young.

We do the same thing every year with this team--celebrate their .500-ness, then watch them passively wallow through the second half of the season wondering why they can't keep pace in the NL with Wilmer Flores batting cleanup. It's frustrating and a con job by management.

I don't necessarily disagree with you.  I think Sandy has done an awful job of building a major league roster.  We have a very good starting rotation and a strong bullpen, but our infield defense is awful and we cannot manufacture runs which are two things you need when building a team around great pitching. 

My only point is that right now, three weeks before the trade deadline, we do not have excess starting pitching.  All 5 of the guys in our rotation are needed for us to contend this season.  Our top 3 pitching prospects are on the DL.  If they were healthy, Wheeler or Montero would be ideal trading chips.  I guess if we got a good enough offer for Niese, we could roll the dice and hope that either Matz comes back healthy around Aug 1, otherwise we are likely to have either Logan Verrett or Dillon Gee in the rotation.  Right now, our starting pitching is just not that deep.

If we are going to move a guy like Niese, it had better be for more than a 2 month rental.

Mets are 33-5 when they score at least 4 runs. That's sick.

Runs are not important.

Four Mets were listed on Minor League Ball’s midseason Top 75 Prospects list, which was compiled by prospect expert John Sickels (July 13).

On the list are Double-A Binghamton OF Michael Conforto (No. 15), Double-A OF Brandon Nimmo (No. 52), High-A St. Lucie SS Amed Rosario (No. 65), and Double-A SS Gavin Cecchini (No. 69).

Both Conforto and Nimmo participated in the All-Star Futures Game on Sunday in Cincinnati, with Conforto collecting two hits and Nimmo notching one.

Sickels notes that he would like to see more power from Nimmo in the second half, and says that Cecchini, who was not ranked heading into the season, is breaking out in Double-A.

Four Mets were listed on Minor League Ball’s midseason Top 75 Prospects list, which was compiled by prospect expert John Sickels (July 13).

On the list are Double-A Binghamton OF Michael Conforto (No. 15), Double-A OF Brandon Nimmo (No. 52), High-A St. Lucie SS Amed Rosario (No. 65), and Double-A SS Gavin Cecchini (No. 69).

Both Conforto and Nimmo participated in the All-Star Futures Game on Sunday in Cincinnati, with Conforto collecting two hits and Nimmo notching one.

Sickels notes that he would like to see more power from Nimmo in the second half, and says that Cecchini, who was not ranked heading into the season, is breaking out in Double-A.

Are best listed prospects still lower in the system- Conforto is on the rise though

Archived