2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

Tom's definition of "hovering around .500" is pretty interesting.  Somehow I don't agree that 45-50 at last year's break and 47-42 (2 games back in the division, 1 game back in the Wild Card) at this year's break are really at all the same thing.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

45-50 at last year's break and 47-42 (2 games back in the division, 1 game back in the Wild Card) at this year's break are really at all the same thing.

9 tough games coming out of the break-three first place teams-

Sorry, you can't say that's a good thing because then it means you love the Wilpons. Rules and stuff.

RULES GENTLEMEN

Tom's definition of "hovering around .500" is pretty interesting.  Somehow I don't agree that 45-50 at last year's break and 47-42 (2 games back in the division, 1 game back in the Wild Card) at this year's break are really at all the same thing.

To think that you can compare this year's team to last year's team, just because their records are within 10 games of each, other is a gross misstatement.

Last year's team was headed by Wheeler, followed by Colon, Gee, Neise followed up by DeGrom who had won 2 games at the All Sta Break.

Although the Mets went into last year's all star break hot, they are simply not a fair comparison to this year's team. If the Mets were to give up some chips last yer four a short term rental, I think I would have pulled my hair out.

This year is another matter, and the Mets should consider themselves contenders. Realistically, there are 7 teams competing for 5 playoff spots. The Mets are right in that mix. My hope is that they do in some way go for a bolster this season, and go for it. But, the price should be right too. 

But, to foolishly say that the Mets did not do anything the last 2 years, ergo, they will not do anything this year is pandering at trolling in its best form

Comment

NEW YORK -- Right-hander Rafael Montero, who has frustrated the New York Mets with his lengthy rehab time for what has been labeled rotator cuff inflammation, finally has appeared in a game.

Montero logged a scoreless inning for the Gulf Coast League Mets on Tuesday morning in Port St. Lucie, Florida. It marked his first game action since pitching for the Mets on April 28, then landing on the disabled list.

Montero allowed one hit and struck out one batter in the frame against the GCL Cardinals.

This year is another matter, and the Mets should consider themselves contenders. Realistically, there are 7 teams competing for 5 playoff spots. The Mets are right in that mix. My hope is that they do in some way go for a bolster this season, and go for it. But, the price should be right too.

Epstein and another GM last week confirmed that the market stalled because the Reds and A's got hot in the latter half of June. They seem to be the primary sellers that everyone is waiting on.

Comment

NEW YORK -- Right-hander Rafael Montero, who has frustrated the New York Mets with his lengthy rehab time for what has been labeled rotator cuff inflammation, finally has appeared in a game.

Montero logged a scoreless inning for the Gulf Coast League Mets on Tuesday morning in Port St. Lucie, Florida. It marked his first game action since pitching for the Mets on April 28, then landing on the disabled list.

Montero allowed one hit and struck out one batter in the frame against the GCL Cardinals.

It has been a shame that he has been hurt so long. He is a definite chip, but has to prove himself healthy.

No one is claiming that "these 3 kids" are the saviors, nor that they will pan out.

If you want to point to "unrealistic characterizations of children that have never played an inning of mlb", go to the Yankee thread.

The post was merely point out to our dear readers of this thread, players in the system that are touted. That, of course means nothing, other than a point to distract yourself to watch their future measurements.

The noise coming off the ny media is that Conforto is that a pure, power hitting outfielder. Fluff.

For the purposes of accuracy, this is what Terry said Sunday:

"I talked to David today, he's really on the upswing and hopefully he gets back soon and it's going to be real exciting second half to watch us play," Collins said after the Mets' 5-3 win over the Diamondbacks, the team's seventh win in its last nine games.

Collins wouldn't specify what his definition of "upswing" meant and only added that Wright has a doctor's appointment on Monday and has been "doing some things that are related to baseball activities" recently. 

The Mets manager didn't elaborate on the types of activities Wright was doing.

You don't actually believe this crap

The noise coming off the ny media is that Conforto is that a pure, power hitting outfielder. Fluff.

What about the noise coming from people that get paid to evaluate talent?

The New York Mets, during previous regimes hyped their talent to mega levels-Milledge, Wilson, Ochoa, etc, etc, etc.

The most recent regime actually has not been hyping their players. They really seem to want to downplay them and limit expectations. The exception was the way Viola talked about Matz. But, other than that, it is difficult to find quotes from Alderson up-selling minor league players.

It is what Terry said on Sunday. It is in quotes.

Why don't you tell us what he really said then-rather than incorrectly paraphrasing, as you did before.

I think they have to give the impression that things are positive no matter what. If they really do get serious about Ramirez the last thing they can afford to do is concede leverage.

It is what Terry said on Sunday. It is in quotes.

Why don't you tell us what he really said then-rather than incorrectly paraphrasing, as you did before.

Suppose that he's totally healthy, which he isn't. You're talking about conditioning for a month and spending another month or more getting his timing back. He's ready by September if we are lucky and I don't consider that a good thing. Baseball is a simple game... You can't cut corners on recovery in it.

Interesting tidbit on Plawecki from Metsblog, when he was struggling in early June and they benched him, he had vertigo. That's ******* awful. Since then:

Plawecki went 0 for 4 with three strikeouts on June 1, dropping his batting average to a paltry .198 through 30 career games. In the 20 games since, he’s hit to the tune of .288/.343/.373, well above the average OPS for a catcher of .680. It’s a small sample so far, but he’s showing a lot of good signs, such as dropping his strikeout rate from 27 percent to 10 percent since and making significantly stronger contact.

Suppose that he's totally healthy, which he isn't. You're talking about conditioning for a month and spending another month or more getting his timing back. He's ready by September if we are lucky and I don't consider that a good thing. Baseball is a simple game... You can't cut corners on recovery in it.

I totally agree. But your initial message said that what Collins said on Sunday didn't jive with what Alderson said on Monday. Not totally true. That's all.

I really don't hold out any hope that Wright returns at all, or is back to his "normal" self. The Mets need to have contingencies for that.

I would love to trade the Duda of 2014 for the Duda of 2015. I would love to trade the Cuddyer of 2013 (or a close facsimile), for the Cuddyer of 2015. I would love to have dArnaud healthy for the full year. Those things, and the Mets are easily in first place right now. 

Biut it isn't so. All that said, they have done a good job fighting through. It speaks to depth in the organization.

Justin Upton exciting anyone?

Depends. He's having a good year. But reorganizing the outfield aside, he's a FA after this season. And though he's exactly what they need offensively, it doesn't solve the infield problems and complicates the outfield (platoon Cuduyer and Granderson in right, I guess?). Zobrist actually does make the most sense, just not for any of the young arms.

Biut it isn't so. All that said, they have done a good job fighting through. It speaks to depth in the organization.

If they actually do pull this off, you have to give Collins consideration for Manager of the Year. The injuries this franchise has had are mind boggling and the fact that Ray Ramirez still has a job after all the disasters over the years is a joke.

Franchise Four announced:

1. David Wright

2. Mike Piazza

3. Keith Hernandez

4. Tom Seaver

I'm cool with Wright being in there. He's the franchise leader in everything excepting HRs, which he's second in. But I think I'd have put in Straw or Doc over Hernandez.

I disagree, no way IMO Wright should be on there ahead of Strawberry, or even Jerry Koosman for that matter.

I disagree, no way IMO Wright should be on there ahead of Strawberry, or even Jerry Koosman for that matter.

Meh. He's the franchise leader in WAR, hits, at-bats, runs, total bases, singles, doubles, RBIs, and walks. And unless his career is done he'll pass Piazza by the end of next year for HRs.

I can understand people putting Strawberry or Doc over him, but there's certainly a case to be made for him belonging there.

Jeter not getting one of the Yankees spots is a win for baseball anywhere. I wouldn't have cared if they gave one of the Mets slots to Mookie after that.

Jeter not getting one of the Yankees spots is a win for baseball anywhere. I wouldn't have cared if they gave one of the Mets slots to Mookie after that.

I think Rivera should have been there over Mantle. Such a tough call for that franchise though. At first you're like, you gotta put Yogi, but then you immediately realize that 3 of the 4 slots aren't even remotely up for debate.

I totally agree. But your initial message said that what Collins said on Sunday didn't jive with what Alderson said on Monday. Not totally true. That's all.

I really don't hold out any hope that Wright returns at all, or is back to his "normal" self. The Mets need to have contingencies for that.

I would love to trade the Duda of 2014 for the Duda of 2015. I would love to trade the Cuddyer of 2013 (or a close facsimile), for the Cuddyer of 2015. I would love to have dArnaud healthy for the full year. Those things, and the Mets are easily in first place right now.

I guess that's what we are seeing differently. I don't think this play speaks to any depth except on the pitching rotation...Cuddyear was never a good player, he's always been average and had a couple above average seasons. Tendering a first for him was a sin. Granderson is here for his bat and bat only, another letdown. Maybe the argument on him is, he needs protection. Ok great, who was the cleanup supposed to be? Cuddyear? d'Arnaud? What a joke. The starting outfield as a whole does nothing at the plate. At least they were honest about it with Legares. The infield, healthy, is not exciting. It's not depth. It's good pitching. Any team that could collectively hit .200 with this staff is a contender. Sandy Alderson is an obvious yes man for the Wilpons tight checkbook and Niewenhuis ripping 3 the other day was the worst kind of moneyball reinforcing sh*t that could've happened. I don't see depth. I see average, everywhere.

I guess that's what we are seeing differently. I don't think this play speaks to any depth except on the pitching rotation...Cuddyear was never a good player, he's always been average and had a couple above average seasons. Tendering a first for him was a sin. Granderson is here for his bat and bat only, another letdown. Maybe the argument on him is, he needs protection. Ok great, who was the cleanup supposed to be? Cuddyear? d'Arnaud? What a joke. The starting outfield as a whole does nothing at the plate. At least they were honest about it with Legares. The infield, healthy, is not exciting. It's not depth. It's good pitching. Any team that could collectively hit .200 with this staff is a contender. Sandy Alderson is an obvious yes man for the Wilpons tight checkbook and Niewenhuis ripping 3 the other day was the worst kind of moneyball reinforcing sh*t that could've happened. I don't see depth. I see average, everywhere.

Cuddyer won the batting title 2 years ago. He has always been above average with RISP. We should be expecting more from Cuddyer.

I was never a big fan of the Granderson move. He is a byproduct of Yankee Stadium.

In terms of speaking to depth, the Mets have lost more games to injured players than any other organization this year, THAT speaks to depth better than anything else.

http://www.mangameslost.com/category/mlb/mlb-2015-season/

I think Rivera should have been there over Mantle. Such a tough call for that franchise though. At first you're like, you gotta put Yogi, but then you immediately realize that 3 of the 4 slots aren't even remotely up for debate.

Could have probably given the Yankees 8-10 spots and still been sifting through better players than most franchises had in their four.

Cuddyer won the batting title 2 years ago. He has always been above average with RISP. We should be expecting more from Cuddyer.

I was never a big fan of the Granderson move. He is a byproduct of Yankee Stadium.

In terms of speaking to depth, the Mets have lost more games to injured players than any other organization this year, THAT speaks to depth better than anything else.

http://www.mangameslost.com/category/mlb/mlb-2015-season/

RISP must have taken on a different definition because I don't understand why that metric would be a reason to buy a bat for this ball club.

RISP must have taken on a different definition because I don't understand why that metric would be a reason to buy a bat for this ball club.

Flat out, Cuddyer has not lived up to his billing. He was known as a clutch bat who would come through in big spots. He has not delivered that for the Mets. I still believe he was a worthwhile gamble for what they paid for him. Hopefully, he can turn it around.

That said, I am in favor of getting a bat that can help this team, if the price is fair.

Flat out, Cuddyer has not lived up to his billing. He was known as a clutch bat who would come through in big spots. He has not delivered that for the Mets. I still believe he was a worthwhile gamble for what they paid for him. Hopefully, he can turn it around.

That said, I am in favor of getting a bat that can help this team, if the price is fair.

I just refuse to believe he became this useless in one offseason. He has to regress back towards the mean at some point. Not fully but it has to happen.

Archived