REVIS IS FREE!!!!!! (ok, he will be Tuesday 4pm)......(All things Revis in here)

TNJet

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok but will we be done in FA after that? Lol

It depends on the structure of a contract and how much we give him as a "signing bonus" in the 1st yr.

The problem with a deal like this is if you draft well, you need money for new contracts.  Wilk and Richardson are going to command large sums of money too.  If 33% of your salary is tied up in 3-4 players it makes it harder to have flexibility to address other positions.

It depends on the structure of a contract and how much we give him as a "signing bonus" in the 1st yr.

The problem with a deal like this is if you draft well, you need money for new contracts.  Wilk and Richardson are going to command large sums of money too.  If 33% of your salary is tied up in 3-4 players it makes it harder to have flexibility to address other positions.

I know this is true. Bowles needs a good corner though. And while I like Milliner and McDougle's talent, their durability is a concern. :/

This is a great point and another reason why Idzik was such a genius.  Not only did he not give two sh*ts about last season and saved tons of money, he also had the brilliance to waste almost all twelve of the picks last draft.  Now we don't have to worry about having money available to sign 2014 draft guys in a few years.  One may say he was just a horrible GM in terms of FA, personnel decisions and also drafting.  But in reality, Idzik is just misunderstood brilliance.

I'm sure we'll have a shot because, after all of the other CBs go to other teams, the team will be desperate to add a CB other than Cromartie and will overpay to get Revis to come back.

That said, Maccagnan would be wise not to pursue Revis.  He's going to carve out a huge piece of the money we have to spend this offseason and will then hold out every year so that he can add more money to the already obscene amount that he would already be making.  This is the kind of player that a rebuilding team needs to pass on.

But somehow right now it's like when you were a kid watching other kids open their birthday gifts and you are thinking "where's my gift?" Someone always tells u its not your birthday and you have toys at home.

And would he be willing to come back to us after winning a superbowl with the Pats? ....I want him back badly, he's a Jet at heart. I hate seeing him in another uniform...

You have to be kidding?? Revis cares about the almighty dollar period..Plus the HC that loved him isn't here anymore..

This is a great point and another reason why Idzik was such a genius.  Not only did he not give two sh*ts about last season and saved tons of money, he also had the brilliance to waste almost all twelve of the picks last draft.  Now we don't have to worry about having money available to sign 2014 draft guys in a few years.  One may say he was just a horrible GM in terms of FA, personnel decisions and also drafting.  But in reality, Idzik is just misunderstood brilliance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k7a3BTPfFI

You have to be kidding?? Revis cares about the almighty dollar period..Plus the HC that loved him isn't here anymore..

Couldn't agree more.  Revis isn't a "Jet at heart", and the concept that he is as such is rather laughable.  He's, for lack of a better word, a mercenary.  He's proven time and time again that he doesn't care about the team, and only cares about making more than the next-highest paid CB in the game.  He'd probably go play in the CFL if he could find a team there that would beat out hist best NFL offer.

Couldn't agree more.  Revis isn't a "Jet at heart", and the concept that he is as such is rather laughable.  He's, for lack of a better word, a mercenary.  He's proven time and time again that he doesn't care about the team, and only cares about making more than the next-highest paid CB in the game.  He'd probably go play in the CFL if he could find a team there that would beat out hist best NFL offer.

I have to disagree here to a point.  Yes I agree Revis is all about the money and maximizing his limited time in the league.  But he is also the ultimate team player, great mentor and fantastic work ethic, pride and competiveness.  He really does deserve what he gets paid.

Its a Catch-22 with Revis no matter what team he is on.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean he isn't an amazing player. He is still one of the top 2 or 3 CBs in the league. If he is willing to come back to the Jets and take a contract that is on par with his value (and what other elite CBs get) then I don't care if he is a jerk. He will be our jerk. 

I don't care if Revis is a jerk.  There are plenty of those around, and I'm sure we currently have some on the Jets.  I have a problem with a me-first guy who is proven to put himself so far above the team as Revis has done.  When you threaten to hold out literally every offseason, then you're not about the team.  Period.  We don't need a guy like that, especially one that's on the wrong side of 30 and will be very much in decline by the time the team is ready to compete on anything resembling a consistent basis. 

I, for one, hope he stays in New England.  There's never been a better fit between organization, coach, and player than the Pats*, Belicheat, and Revis.  I'd love for the Jets to one day walk out of Gillette Stadium having beaten a Pats* team led by Brady and Revis.  Short of a Super Bowl win, I can't think of many things better when it comes to the Jets.

The issue is that the second and third tier CBs can bust badly when they are taken out of their environment on certain teams.   Someone like Flowers got decent money, but he was horrible in man coverage (something we wouldn't have known until he flopped in KC with Sutton).  With these free agents, a lot of times you have to take shots in the dark and still pay a high amount.  How much did Maxwell benefit from having great LBs and safeties around him, that he could be more aggressive?  Even the rating systems can be pretty arbitrary as well.  I think last year around this time, everyone was happy we picked off that guy from the Chargers, Adams, about how he was fast and their best rated corner and how we got a steal.  And he fell on his face.  

I don't mind paying Revis because it makes one aspect of our defense elite.   The biggest issue would be if Revis actually wants to come back or if he's just using this to drive up his price on some other team with cap money.  By issuing that he will only consider two teams, some other team would have to make the Godfather offer to even get in the picture.  I could see him going to a team like the Bengals if they can offer him the most money.  I'm not quite sure his teams are centered around the Pats/Jets, I think it's a marketing ploy for more money.   However, I'd take him at $15 million over Maxwell or Jackson at $10 million.  

I don't care if Revis is a jerk.  There are plenty of those around, and I'm sure we currently have some on the Jets.  I have a problem with a me-first guy who is proven to put himself so far above the team as Revis has done.  When you threaten to hold out literally every offseason, then you're not about the team.  Period.  We don't need a guy like that, especially one that's on the wrong side of 30 and will be very much in decline by the time the team is ready to compete on anything resembling a consistent basis. 

I, for one, hope he stays in New England.  There's never been a better fit between organization, coach, and player than the Pats*, Belicheat, and Revis.  I'd love for the Jets to one day walk out of Gillette Stadium having beaten a Pats* team led by Brady and Revis.  Short of a Super Bowl win, I can't think of many things better when it comes to the Jets.

We nearly did it last year, we just needed better QB play unfortunately.  Think about that for a second.  With how bad all around the talent was last year, we nearly beat the Pats.  We just need better talent again and better protection of the ball and we can topple Goliath.

We nearly did it last year, we just needed better QB play unfortunately.  Think about that for a second.  With how bad all around the talent was last year, we nearly beat the Pats.  We just need better talent again and better protection of the ball and we can topple Goliath.

Exactly.  We didn't need Revis to go toe-to-toe with the big-bad Pats* last year.  If we bring in Cromartie and another corner, we've already made the defense far superior to the one that came within a combined 3-points of a sweep of the Patriots.  Use the money that everyone would use on Revis to make drastic changes on the offensive side of the ball and to lock up our own talent (like Wilkerson) for the long term rather than use that money on a guy who will hold out each offseason.

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports Darrelle Revis is "down to the Patriots or Jets."

Revis isn't technically a free agent, but he can become one on Monday if the Patriots decline his $12.5 million option bonus. The Pats want to keep Revis, but the Jets may offer him more money. Coming off a Super Bowl win, 29-year-old Revis will likely be deciding between winning and a little more cash.

Revis has gotta be just loving this.  In the grand scheme of things McCourty might be a better player for us to overpay.  He's young enough to build around while paying Revis big bucks over the next 2 years probably isn't enough time to get the team good enough to be playing at a championship level.  You tie up 25-30 million in Revis for the next two years and then what? 

Revis has gotta be just loving this.  In the grand scheme of things McCourty might be a better player for us to overpay.  He's young enough to build around while paying Revis big bucks over the next 2 years probably isn't enough time to get the team good enough to be playing at a championship level.  You tie up 25-30 million in Revis for the next two years and then what? 

Then what, what?

You have 1 of the top 2 CB's in football for two years  - with a HC that wants to play press coverage and blitzes more than any coach in the NFL.  That's a good thing - when you have cap space you spend on impact players - have a team full of role players doesn't win.  You need guys that can change the outcome of the game.  Revis is that guy.

Jets are Revis or bust right now - I think there's a very good chance he's a Jet in two days.

Question is do the Jets want Revis - I'm praying that answer is NO !!!

We're balking on this board to giving Harvin 10.5 on a good contract for the team in terms of guaranteed $$ and cap hit. Yet many here want to throw crazy money with most likely lots of upfront guaranteed $$$ to a player who turned his back on the team for $$$$ and held out twice for $$$$ but according to many Harvin is the scum.

basically we only have a shot if the Pats lowball him.  If the offers are close to equal, why would Revis leave Tom Brady for the crap we have at QB?

The wild card is if Maccagnan offers him a 1 year mercenary deal for $16 million.  With all the cap space, it's possible.

If no Revis, I think Cromartie definitely ends up here.  It just makes too much sense.  Then we may have to pray for Milliner to be healthy and McDougle to make strides, both of which I think are possible but risky.  Of course, they could spend a lot to get both Revis and Cro, which some might say is being overly nostalgic but with Bowles blitz-heavy, man coverage system it sure makes sense.

He did draft Sheldon Richardson who is going to want $$

When will we know about Revis status with the Pats? When is the cut off day for them to pick up his option ? I read somewhere tomorrow. Didn't know if that was true. Or it was just Tuesday with the rest of the league.

Yes, at the end of the league year, the Patriots need to exercise that option or he becomes a FA.

Sure let's sign Deion Sanders and  Rod Woodson as well ...

Why would you say that?

There's  very real possibility this all happens.  By most accounts Jets are in the game for both Revis and McCourty...and I'm pretty sure Cro is already a done deal (he'll come cheap)

We have the money for it - whether is does happen or not is yet to be seen but no need to make snarky comments ...

Because he's not as good as he used to be but he thinks he still is.

Who cares what he thinks?

The fact is he's, IMO, he's still the second best CB in football.  And we have a HC that blitz's more than any coach in football...He'll be worth every penny of the $15mm a year we're going to pay him.  We have the money - let's not spend scared, get impact players when you can..

sure, 10 years 200 million with 100 million guaranteed should do it !

I think woody is driving the jets reported interest, and that revis is using it to drive up the price on the teams he really wants to play for

I hope macc and graves just make a token effort and move on quickly

Archived