The Chan Gailey offense needs breakaway speed

jetscrazey

Ivory and Powell are good backs.  Marshall, Decker, and Kerley are good receivers.  But Chan Gailey runs a spread offense that is predicated on speed, quick reads, and catch-and-run ability.

I just don't see that right now on this roster.  I see possession receivers and running backs who play well in between the tackles and pickup blitzes.  Powell is shifty but nobody is mistaking him for a guy who can split out and catch a quick pass.

This offense still desperately needs a CJ Spiller type of player who can catch a quick pass and break one open.  Since Harvin is effectively on a year-to-year deal, I don't see the harm in retaining him if we can afford the cap space.  If Harvin is really cut, they need to spend a draft pick on this type of player, but again wouldn't you rather have the proven talent in Harvin if you can afford it?

I may be in the minority, but I don't know there's a more explosive, more versatile player in the league than Harvin. I don't like him as a WR per se, but now that we have two actual wideouts I love Harvin even more. If the price is right, that is.

I know he is not a big name but Chris Owuso has 4.35 speed (he looked good against the Dolphins) and Shaq Evans is in the 4.4 range as well.  I know we don't want to depend on just those two but say we have no speed on the roster is not quite accurate.  I am sure we will still look to add a someone if not in FA then in the draft. 

I may be in the minority, but I don't know there's a more explosive, more versatile player in the league than Harvin. I don't like him as a WR per se, but now that we have two actual wideouts I love Harvin even more. If the price is right, that is.

I wouldn't say that you are in the minority.  I would imagine that Harvin would be a matchup nightmare on the field with Decker and Marshall.  However, he really hasn't proven much of anything in his career to merit the kind of money that his camp is going to demand.  If he is a 6 to 7 mil WR then yes, but the market probably will dictate a contract number that he simply isn't worth.

I know he is not a big name but Chris Owuso has 4.35 speed (he looked good against the Dolphins) and Shaq Evans is in the 4.4 range as well.  I know we don't want to depend on just those two but say we have no speed on the roster is not quite accurate.  I am sure we will still look to add a someone if not in FA then in the draft. 

And he can shake a defender by jumping over the ref...

Ivory and Powell are good backs.  Marshall, Decker, and Kerley are good receivers.  But Chan Gailey runs a spread offense that is predicated on speed, quick reads, and catch-and-run ability.

I just don't see that right now on this roster.  I see possession receivers and running backs who play well in between the tackles and pickup blitzes.  Powell is shifty but nobody is mistaking him for a guy who can split out and catch a quick pass.

This offense still desperately needs a CJ Spiller type of player who can catch a quick pass and break one open.  Since Harvin is effectively on a year-to-year deal, I don't see the harm in retaining him if we can afford the cap space.  If Harvin is really cut, they need to spend a draft pick on this type of player, but again wouldn't you rather have the proven talent in Harvin if you can afford it?

Ya, a Spiller type does what you say but also allows any lobe CB/safety in area to SPY him on pass, which with Marshall/Decker GUARANTEE Amaro will have LB coverage and will be open 90% of time underneath as a Primary on some plays BUT also open as Safety Valve for whoever is QB, aka Witten was in Dallas. Always freakin open w/Dez/DeMarco.

It always boiuld down to XsOs 101 and mismatches. Why TEs with speed, pass skills are the new thing. Get a LB isolated on them in old days was iffy, but not horrifd cause TEs fit a mold (few exvceptions Winslow etc). Today, you have new age TE, NFL Ds havent figured it out yet IF, big IF, you have pass catching RB and 2 respected WRs (and a QB who can get them the ball and has balls to hang in pocket and not panic and take off)

Ya, a Spiller type does what you say but also allows any lobe CB/safety in area to SPY him on pass, which with Marshall/Decker GUARANTEE Amaro will have LB coverage and will be open 90% of time underneath as a Primary on some plays BUT also open as Safety Valve for whoever is QB, aka Witten was in Dallas. Always freakin open w/Dez/DeMarco.

It always boiuld down to XsOs 101 and mismatches. Why TEs with speed, pass skills are the new thing. Get a LB isolated on them in old days was iffy, but not horrifd cause TEs fit a mold (few exvceptions Winslow etc). Today, you have new age TE, NFL Ds havent figured it out yet IF, big IF, you have pass catching RB and 2 respected WRs (and a QB who can get them the ball and has balls to hang in pocket and not panic and take off)

When Decker was healthy our offense was like night & day. Now that you added a beast on the other side, Amaro will be a really tough matchup & should be able to catch a ton of balls.

Add to that group Spiller where a LB or a safety has to spy him to keep him from ripping off a 50 yarder, you now have created the mismatches that will occur all over the field.

When you have WRs with that kind of size & blocking ability it makes Ivory really dangerous on early downs.

Our problem for years is that we were too easy to defend.

2010 was the only time we has threats at every level!

Just think about that game. LT takes a little flare & smokes the LB to the corner of the endzone.

Braylon Edwards (drags the smaller DBs into the endzone)

Holmes tippy toes a TD on the endzone sideline.

Players making plays! Other than the beautiful throw to Holmes who made a TREMENDOUS catch, Sanchez did very little!

Then you had Greene break a run for a TD to seal the win.

How many times did Geno get the ball to a Jet & did they make a GREAT PLAY? Last year no one made great plays. If I remember Owusu was the only WR that made a "did you see that catch?" Type of play.

Meanwhile in the Super Bowl, Edelman & Vareen were making catches all over the place some one handed.

Players have to make plays to help the QB, Geno got sh*t last year from our group.

Players have to make plays to help the QB, Geno got sh*t last year from our group.

agree on most except Geno still panics after Primary covered, doesnt seem to know ASAP where 2nd/3rd WR ius and he doesnt exactly throiw a ball that leads a receiver allowing for YAC. He is most un-friendly YAC thrower in NFL with Sanchez maybe worse or close 2nd.

With new staff and I can see Fitz beating Geno out..who knows, I certainly dont :)

agree on most except Geno still panics after Primary covered, doesnt seem to know ASAP where 2nd/3rd WR ius and he doesnt exactly throiw a ball that leads a receiver allowing for YAC. He is most un-friendly YAC thrower in NFL with Sanchez maybe worse or close 2nd.

With new staff and I can see Fitz beating Geno out..who knows, I certainly dont :)

Well when you run on 1st & 2nd down & it leads to a run for minus 2 & then Colon false starts it doesn't make QBing easy. Geno stared down a lot of 3rd & 17s last year.

Well when you run on 1st & 2nd down & it leads to a run for minus 2 & then Colon false starts it doesn't make QBing easy. Geno stared down a lot of 3rd & 17s last year.

If he did it was his own fault. The Jets were the 3rd best team in the NFL at running the ball last year. Have any other excuses that you'd like to make up?

If he did it was his own fault. The Jets were the 3rd best team in the NFL at running the ball last year. Have any other excuses that you'd like to make up?

Well when you run the ball 54 times in one game your probably gonna be up there in yards.

Archived