Jets trade for Ryan Fitzpatrick (All things Fitzpatrick in here)

Morrissey

EDIT: 

---------------------------------

Just in time for St. Paddy's day?!?!?!?!?! Instead of flooding the board with all things Fitzy we should keep it all in here, similar to the Revis thread.

tumblr_n43fxlj4iL1s5wvh5o2_1280.jpg

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know everybody was saying that Hoyer would have been better but Fitz has gotten to be a better QB as he's matured-he had a 95 QBR last season like 20 pts higher than Hoyer. All I know is he is a better quarterback than Geno Smith who is way too inconsistent for us. One game he can get a perfect passing rating and the next week zero out-I have never seen a QB be able to do that in the space of a month or so. If we can't get Breeze and Foles is already a moot point then get me this guy, he's smart and tough and can throw the ball pretty well. ABGS=Anybody BUT Geno Smith 

You know everybody was saying that Hoyer would have been better but Fitz has gotten to be a better QB as he's matured-he had a 95 QBR last season like 20 pts higher than Hoyer. All I know is he is a better quarterback than Geno Smith who is way too inconsistent for us. One game he can get a perfect passing rating and the next week zero out-I have never seen a QB be able to do that in the space of a month or so. If we can't get Breeze and Foles is already a moot point then get me this guy, he's smart and tough and can throw the ball pretty well. ABGS=Anybody BUT Geno Smith 

JMO..but I'd take Fitz over Hoyer.

The Ryan Fitzpatrick-to-the-Jets move could be a trade

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 11, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT

When the seemingly inevitable Brian Hoyer signing comes through for the Texans, they’re going to have too many quarterbacks again.

And it appears they have a plan to get something for one of the spares.

According to Albert Breer and Kim Jones of the NFL Network, once Hoyer signs with the Texans they’re expected to trade Ryan Fitzpatrick to the Jets quickly.

The groundwork for this deal seems to have been in place for some time, and makes sense for both sides.

The Texans will have Hoyer and Ryan Mallett and Tom Savage, and the Jets need someone to serve as mentor/insurance policy for Geno Smith. Fitzpatrick spent a year with Chan Gailey in Buffalo, so he’ll know what’s happening in New York.

Of course, the Jets could probably wait the Texans out to cut Fitzpatrick, but the possibility that someone else might want him means it’s probably worth giving up a seventh-rounder or some such to secure his $3.25 million contract for next year. Either that, or Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan is just doing his old boss a favor by throwing a pick their way.

JMO..but I'd take Fitz over Hoyer.

Fitz knows Chans playbook. If Geno slips on his pecker, and fails the 'Chans Playbook Test', then at minimum Fitz can start Day One knowing 100% of playbook , and further, teach the other Off players the nuances of it.

The point is there's NO GOOD QB's available and the Jets have NO QBs!

this is true. why I like Fitz AND draft a QB, whether at #6 or later in draft. Fitz at least knows Chans playbook, coupled w/Bowles Defense should be able to game manage us to within playoff range, while young QB learns or if Mariotta, he learns or damnit, wins the job, the way Russel Wilson did few years back.

This seems rather inevitable.  Not exactly an exciting choice, but there needs to be competition for Geno and Fitzpatrick already knows Gailey's system.

Still wouldn't mind them investigating a trade for someone like Austin Davis as well if we're not going QB at #6.

Does CJ Spiller comes with him?

We don't need him-we have the healthy Bilal Powell who is a potential 1200 yard back IMHO. he should have NEVER been made to sit behind Mister 2 yards and a cloud of dust Chris Johnson. The good news though is having been misused by Ryan and under-used by every OC we've had since he got here he has never been beaten up the way a guy like CJ Spiller and Johnson has been. Draft another HB and go with Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell and either Daryl Richardson (if he's still on the team) or a rookie RB we pick up in the draft.

We don't need him-we have the healthy Bilal Powell who is a potential 1200 yard back IMHO. he should have NEVER been made to sit behind Mister 2 yards and a cloud of dust Chris Johnson. The good news though is having been misused by Ryan and under-used by every OC we've had since he got here he has never been beaten up the way a guy like CJ Spiller and Johnson has been. Draft another HB and go with Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell and either Daryl Richardson (if he's still on the team) or a rookie RB we pick up in the draft.

can Powell catch nicely out of backfield? if yes, no need for CJ unless Chan says 'he fits my system perfect and Mac as GM throws Chan a bone.

I'm okay with this if we sign him and he's the guy this year. 

You know what to expect from him, he showed last year he can complete over 60% of his passes, can throw more TDs than INTs and can produce some offense with less weapons than we have now.

He's not Drew Brees, but he'd get us over the hump and help us win now, while continuing to build behind him. Who knows, Geno might thrive in a spread offense too. Hard to say.

Also, if all he costs us is the 7th rounder it's like we traded a 5th rounder for Brandon Marshall and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

That would be a pretty good day at the office for Maccagnan. 

As mediocre as Fitzpatrick is, to upgrade at QB and bring in a top-flight receiver by essentially trading one mid-level draft pick, that's pretty good.

Why can't we just stick with a guy who could actually improve as opposed to this stiff

Because he won't improve.  Right now in Florham Park, Chan Gailey is lobbying for us to get Fitzpatrick so he isn't stuck with an actual stiff, Geno Smith.  Not to be our future but to be our present until we find a franchise guy off the magic franchise QB tree one of these days.

Because he won't improve.  Right now in Florham Park, Chan Gailey is lobbying for us to get Fitzpatrick so he isn't stuck with an actual stiff, Geno Smith.  Not to be our future but to be our present until we find a franchise guy off the magic franchise QB tree one of these days.

How do you know that? It's his 3rd year and he's never had any offensive weapons outside of Decker last year. Our OL has been mediocre, our running game has been mediocre, or Receiving corp has been trash since Geno came into the league.

How do you know that? It's his 3rd year and he's never had any offensive weapons outside of Decker last year. Our OL has been mediocre, our running game has been mediocre, or Receiving corp has been trash since Geno came into the league.

Only Decker?  No Amaro, Kerley or Harvin?

On average, he had more time to throw the football than any other QB in the NFL, that's mediocre?

Fourth in the NFL in rushing is mediocre nowadays too?

Why can't we just stick with a guy who could actually improve as opposed to this stiff

The unfortunate thing is that just about every jag, lousy vet QB that we have talked about on these forums is better than Geno Smith.  We need a QB no matter what unless you are happy with Geno Smith, Matt Simms and some draft pick.  with the additions this team can be competitive or more if we just get a QB that screws up less.  I'd sick to death of turnover machines.

If he improves and is clearly better than Fitz, then he plays. Jets and their fans need some stability at that position. Fitz provides that, Geno does not.

We added Harvin too and it did nothing for him.  He lost his job to f*ckin' Michael Vick.  If he didn't have such a bad attitude I'd be a lot more willing to give him another shot.  Now that we have a new front office and coaching staff?  Nah.  No reason to.  He WILL NOT IMPROVE.  Fact.  He's dead weight.  Move on.

Archived