Marcus Gilchrist

jetscrazey

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Jets will visit with free agent SS Marcus Gilchrist.
Gilchrist is a quick-twitch safety with the ability to play slot corner. The Jets could put him to use in a Tyrann Mathieu-like role under new coach Todd Bowles, who utilized Mathieu was a movable chess piece with the Cardinals. Mar 10 - 5:22 PM

very interesting, Mayock preferred him as a starting free safety coming out of college.  Maccagnan probably scouted him as such, but with Eric Weddle emerging they had to put him at SS.  I guess he could be our over-the-top guy

The best part of this type of stuff is it finally seems like we have real personnel people looking at how we can use specific players and their skill sets to make the team better. 

Gilchrist is a quick-twitch safety with the ability to play slot corner. The Jets could put him to use in a Tyrann Mathieu-like role under new coach Todd Bowles, who utilized Mathieu was a movable chess piece with the Cardinals. Mar 10 - 5:22 PM

But couldn't we find one of these safeties in the 4th or 5th round.

Edit: Forgot we don't have our 5th round pick. So how about top of the 4th round where we are slotted to pick.

i've been reading the opposite.  he's more of a SS with limited coverage skills.

Not sure where you heard that but I've seen the guy play a bunch and the dude can cover. He was a CB at Clemson. He will be playing more of a FS type role if the Jets pick him up.

Edit: Forgot we don't have our 5th round pick. So how about top of the 4th round where we are slotted to pick.

Looks like Bowles has a plan...free agency is just money...easier to trust a vet than a flier in the draft...

Bad year for them I think I remember reading.  Draft isn't that deep for DBs this year.

Gilchrist is a quick-twitch safety with the ability to play slot corner. The Jets could put him to use in a Tyrann Mathieu-like role under new coach Todd Bowles, who utilized Mathieu was a movable chess piece with the Cardinals. Mar 10 - 5:22 PM

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6615/marcus-gilchrist

Can he cover Gronk?

If they sign another DB, rather it is him or a safety than Cromartie. I think 27 and LonelyHearts made some good points about keeping spots available for younger players. Gilchrist lucks out as a safety with possibly some ball skills, even if he's not a playmaker.

Archived