Multi**NFL*cultural Offices

prime21

I remember working back in the day (I'm 46 yrs old) and pretty much your football talk and debates were mostly between Jets and Giants fans with a sprinkle of Dallas or another team.  Over that past 10 years after working in a few different offices It seems like I'm a minority now.  New England, Phiily, Dallas, Pittsburgh and some other teams have fans everywhere now.  I literally have one person that I know of in an office of about 150 that is a Jets fan.  WTF???

So glad I found a forum where I can talk to fellow Jet fans.  

I live right outside DC and I'm pretty sure there are more Pittsburgh fans than Redskin and Baltimore fans combine.  Like locust those people.  Have dozen or so Jetfans including myself and Warfish.  LOL

"Welcome to the board brother"

Any group that includes you and warfish can not be considered small

Expected form an emaciated anemic vegan trash bag of bones hippie who has to  always be on the look out because neighborhood dogs keep trying to bury him in the backyard.

nonsense.. the patchouli i wear keeps the dogs far away

At least you work with football fans.  I hear all these guys at my job walking around talking about video games and dragons and sh*t.  I mention football and they just stare at me.  The few guys who do like football are basically 'watch the highlights" guys.

We got a new guy in a couple months ago and I said "you a football fan"?  His answer was "yeah, but I don't have to worry because my favorite team already won the championship"....This was a week before the playoffs started so I just stopped there.

At least you work with football fans.  I hear all these guys at my job walking around talking about video games and dragons and sh*t.  I mention football and they just stare at me.  The few guys who do like football are basically 'watch the highlights" guys.

We got a new guy in a couple months ago and I said "you a football fan"?  His answer was "yeah, but I don't have to worry because my favorite team already won the championship"....This was a week before the playoffs started so I just stopped there.

Oh then you would love the mafia forum here.  I will save you a spot.  

I think in most cases it has to do with the invention of Sunday ticket. It used to be you could just see the local teams and the Steelers and cowboys, but now every sunday you can watch whatever team you want where ever you are. 

I've never really thought about it because i work for a newspaper (and this is true for most newspapers around the country) that has a high turnover rate on reporters and we all come from all over the country. I happen to have grown up a mile from the paper's office, but we have one guys from New Hampshire (patriots fan), one from Indianapolis (colts fan) one from Philly (eagles fan), one from Pittsburgh (steelers fan) a guy from Nebraska (cowboys fan) and then the rest of us are local and either giants and jets fans. 

I live right outside DC and I'm pretty sure there are more Pittsburgh fans than Redskin and Baltimore fans combine.  Like locust those people.  Have dozen or so Jetfans including myself and Warfish.  LOL

"Welcome to the board brother"

Indeed, for all the New Yorkers down here, DC is a black hole for Jets Fans.

Giants Fans tho, there are quite a few in my experience.

When I worked down in the financial district my office was actually full of Jet fans.  A big Brooklyn, Queens, & LI contingency.  A few Giant fans, mainly Manhattan & Jersey people.  A few Cowboy, Pats and Skins fans.  Don't remember any Steeler fans.

Work in for a different company now.  Split time btwn offices in Queens & Melville now.  Not many football fans at all, more into baseball & basketball.  A few CFB fans 1 Michigan/ 1 Ohio State, both alum.

On a side note, growing up in NJ the NFL, and football in general, was always big.  When I go back to visit, it's still king.  Living on LI now, football is nowhere near as big a deal out here.  Popular yes, but not like in NJ.  

• 1 month later...

I remember working back in the day (I'm 46 yrs old) and pretty much your football talk and debates were mostly between Jets and Giants fans with a sprinkle of Dallas or another team.  Over that past 10 years after working in a few different offices It seems like I'm a minority now.  New England, Phiily, Dallas, Pittsburgh and some other teams have fans everywhere now.  I literally have one person that I know of in an office of about 150 that is a Jets fan.  WTF???

So glad I found a forum where I can talk to fellow Jet fans.

Football fans love winners.

I work in a company with 17 people.  of the 9 dudes, 6 are football fans.  we have

jets

dolphins

pats* 

giants x 2

chargers (there is always one random "hey I loved the helmet when I was a kid" dude)

makes for some fun mondays, lol

I have to be honest, rex being gone will lessen my bullsh*t defense duties by 80%

:rl:

When I worked down in the financial district my office was actually full of Jet fans.  A big Brooklyn, Queens, & LI contingency.  A few Giant fans, mainly Manhattan & Jersey people.  A few Cowboy, Pats and Skins fans.  Don't remember any Steeler fans.

Work in for a different company now.  Split time btwn offices in Queens & Melville now.  Not many football fans at all, more into baseball & basketball.  A few CFB fans 1 Michigan/ 1 Ohio State, both alum.

On a side note, growing up in NJ the NFL, and football in general, was always big.  When I go back to visit, it's still king.  Living on LI now, football is nowhere near as big a deal out here.  Popular yes, but not like in NJ.  

Football will always rule in NJ.

In NY and the boroughs, not so much...but that's to be expected, i mean half the population isn't really 'from here'. A lot of transplants from other parts of the country, a lot of foreigners or 1st/2nd gen foreign-born people.

Long Island is still football territory though. Surprised you mentioned Melville, i got family in suffolk county and know a lot of people further out in Kings Park and commack. Lot of football fans. maybe a lot of jets fans are in hiding out there, saw plenty of flags/bumper stickers/jersey wearing joes sitting in the bars back in 2009/2010.

The internet and cable/satellite TV is a big reason for a lot of this.

My take also, 20 years and more when you moved you lost track of your home team and it was more likely that you took up with the local team. Now except for the 75,000 STH in every NFL city, everyone else has the same amount of "contact" with the team, does not matter where you live, you can watch them, read about them, converse about them, no reason to switch to the local team.

When I was in the Navy during the 70s you lost track of whole seasons. Now you watch the games live where ever in the world you are.   Up here in the Boston area with it being such a big college town and students staying on after they graduate that we always seemed to have more foreign fans. out of 10 engineers we had a Jet, Steeler and  Bengals and Bills fan

Football will always rule in NJ.

In NY and the boroughs, not so much...but that's to be expected, i mean half the population isn't really 'from here'. A lot of transplants from other parts of the country, a lot of foreigners or 1st/2nd gen foreign-born people.

Long Island is still football territory though. Surprised you mentioned Melville, i got family in suffolk county and know a lot of people further out in Kings Park and commack. Lot of football fans. maybe a lot of jets fans are in hiding out there, saw plenty of flags/bumper stickers/jersey wearing joes sitting in the bars back in 2009/2010.

It's definitely popular on LI, just not like NJ. Life shuts down on Sunday to watch the games. Seems like on LI people watch if they're free or if it's a big game. Maybe it's just the folks I know, idk.

:rl:

Had another good one several years ago walking  out of work one day as I passed a guy wearing a Jets T-Shirt.

Me:  Oh...Jets fan?

Him: Yeah, big time.

Me: So what do you thinking about the season?

Him: Oh man, they're not doing too good...I think they might have to fire Mangini

Me: Long pause/stare....yeah...maybe

This conversation took place before the start of Rex's third season.

Had another good one several years ago walking  out of work one day as I passed a guy wearing a Jets T-Shirt.

Me:  Oh...Jets fan?

Him: Yeah, big time.

Me: So what do you thinking about the season?

Him: Oh man, they're not doing too good...I think they might have to fire Mangini

Me: Long pause/stare....yeah...maybe

This conversation took place before the start of Rex's third season.

That is too damn funny. The guy is in a time warp but has immense entertainment value.  I wonder if he was semi-normal before becoming a Jets fan.

That is too damn funny. The guy is in a time warp but has immense entertainment value.  I wonder if he was semi-normal before becoming a Jets fan.

I have no idea man...but it's the reason why JN has been so important to me.  Native New Yorker who hadn't lived anywhere near the NE for almost 20 years....the last ten were a lot easier to deal with once I had fellow Jets fans to be miserable with.

I have no idea man...but it's the reason why JN has been so important to me.  Native New Yorker who hadn't lived anywhere near the NE for almost 20 years....the last ten were a lot easier to deal with once I had fellow Jets fans to be miserable with.

Yeah, misery loves company.  I am on the West Coast and most of the face to face Jets interaction I get are the jabs and digs.   The one good Jets bar around here, The Green Dog, went out of business.  Figures, having been a dedicated Jets bar. What a business model. :-)

Yeah, misery loves company.  I am on the West Coast and most of the face to face Jets interaction I get are the jabs and digs.   The one good Jets bar around here, The Green Dog, went out of business.  Figures, having been a dedicated Jets bar. What a business model. :-)

That's brutal..."A" for effort, but getting a Jets themed bar to work in Cali?  No easy task.

Archived