***Jets sign Cromartie***

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always hoped Revis would make the transition from CB to Safety once he lost a step, but by that point, he will be close to $150+ in career earnings and my opt to retire with his body intact, as opposed to going for the extra money. However, if he's healthy, I'd love for him to be a Jet for another 5+ years.  

On the bright side, hopefully this brings your boy Fowler into the works. Not only is he one of/my favorite defensive player(s) in the draft from a talent perspective, he just seems like an awesome kid who loves football and enjoys having fun. 

I'd love Folwer.  He'd be a great compliment to what they have in place.  And you're spot on.  Great kid.  Loves the game.  Wants to be an all time great .

I can't imagine they make this move without the full blessing of Bowles.  Cro knows his system and if for some reason he doesn't have what it takes anymore, maybe he and Revis can help turn Milliner and/or McDougle into players.  That's a high price-tag for a mentor but again, Bowles had to see enough things he liked about him, especially given that he's a secondary guy.

Word.  This D could be sick next year...especially if we can get who we're talking about above^^^^ 

If I understand the big picture strategy employed by the new regime, it is: Spend the available cap money now on short term deals for older players in order to field a competitive team while not burdening the franchise with potentially crippling contracts. In that light I am in favor of all these deals, the bulk of which carry commitments of three years or less. My hope (and prayer) is that while these contracts age out the Jets will replace these guys with young talented players who will fill in and continue what promises to be a golden age of winning seasons for the Jets.

The notable exceptions are: Skrine and Carpenter, both whom are young and in possession of physical gifts that this regime has identifies as being worth longer term commitments.

Good stuff, I think. In retrospect it makes Idzik's strategy appear to be that much more foolish.

Similar thoughts here...short-term deals on solid vets until Mac gets a couple of drafts to procure young talent...

I wonder if this CB frenzy portends some bad news about Milliners recovery. Achilles are often 2 year injuries but we've signed 3 new cbs to high level multi year contracts now-

Great competition but using a lot of resources when you have a young top 10 pick on the team. Sounds like there's really low expectations for his recovery.

Could've had both Revis and Cro for less last year.

Edit:  Plus prevented NE from getting another SB by not letting them have Revis.  Yeah, Idzik was awesome!

Both signed basically 1 year deals because were both waiting for every teams appealing multi-year offer, which never came. Then we would be in the same situation this year with less cap flow through.

Pretty much.  We're all stoked about the return of Cro but he isnt great anymore.  He relied too much on his athleticism over the years and as that is wearing down he doesnt have the mechanics or physicality to compensate.  He's not the same player we had for those years.  And while you would think FS could make sense, the thought of him having to make a TD saving tackle is laughable.  Still a huge upgrade though.  It is cool to get them both back but they should have never left. 

It has always been athleticism with him. Not technique.  He is long and lanky and he holds all the time. Thing I hate most is that he does not tackle.

It has always been athleticism with him. Not technique.  He is long and lanky and he holds all the time. Thing I hate most is that he does not tackle.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2352056-antonio-cromartie-to-jets-latest-contract-details-comments-and-reaction

"Although Cromartie was coming off two Pro Bowl seasons with the Jets, he seemingly became a more complete player in Arizona, as he developed into a solid run defender in addition to his excellence as a cover guy."

Among all the scapegoats of the past 6 years, Tanny was... nah, nevermind I can't. He hired both Mangini and Rex. **** him.

You know what though?  Farve's arm doens't fall off, Mangini gets some playoff wins.

Rex gets a team with a crap QB deep into the playoffs, twice.  Once lucking in, once having a good team.  Rex is just too relaxed, and I think his stuff wears thin real fast.

A cardinal rule when signing free agents in the NFL is not overpaying a player for his past performnce. Especially CB's, WR's and RB's. They hit the wall very abruptly. And as soon as they lose a step they lose a huge part of their game. Does anyone remember Thomas Jones in 2009? He had a couple of excellent years for us. And somewhere around the last 2 or 3 games of the regular season he hit the wall big time. Literally from one week to the next. And he was never the same. If you remember Greene had to carry us in the post season that year.

You have to pay a player for what they are going to give you, not what they gave. Both the Revis and Cromartie contracts are absurd. We could have easily landed Perrish Cox for less than Cro, and he's 3 years younger. A CB who played for 3.2 million at 30 years old should not get more than double at 31. By 2016 both of these guys could be seriously declining and we will owe them considerable money.

I know we need to spend the money in 2015. That's fine, I'm more concerned with next year and the year after. And in the NFL you have to think more than one move at a time. It's chess not checkers. Kinda feels like our rookie GM is playing checkers.

Among all the scapegoats of the past 6 years, Tanny was... nah, nevermind I can't. He hired both Mangini and Rex. **** him.

so many corpses thrown under the bus over the rex regime you kind of have to give the most blame to the last guy to go under the wheel...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2352056-antonio-cromartie-to-jets-latest-contract-details-comments-and-reaction

"Although Cromartie was coming off two Pro Bowl seasons with the Jets, he seemingly became a more complete player in Arizona, as he developed into a solid run defender in addition to his excellence as a cover guy."

Bleacher Report?  You are kidding, right?

The biggest problem with Cro has always been his complete lack of interest in using his long arms to press receivers at the line of scrimmage.  If the WR were to beat his press coverage initially he has the athleticism and speed to catch up.  But he just never, ever seems to do it.  It's maddening.

The biggest problem with Cro has always been his complete lack of interest in using his long arms to press receivers at the line of scrimmage.  If the WR were to beat his press coverage initially he has the athleticism and speed to catch up.  But he just never, ever seems to do it.  It's maddening.

I think that is why they let him walk despite their desperation last year.  Wasn't that in the book?  He just wouldn't press even when Pettine and Rex were calling for it.

I think that is why they let him walk despite their desperation last year.  Wasn't that in the book?  He just wouldn't press even when Pettine and Rex were calling for it.

Pretty much.  That and the hip injury, which it appears he has fully recovered from after his year of rehab in Arizona.

From that book Collision: Low Crossers, I got the imp/ression that Cromartie was a moody guy, liked but very resistant to criticism from his coaches.  He did his share of sulking.  I guess he thinks he has got it all covered.  No pun intended.

Interesting... I would have let him go. Granted we needed to spend but like 34 million per year (avg) is now spent on the CBs. Ridiculous IMO

espn said this morning Bowles D last year used 6 DBs on field  160 times MORE than any other NFL team in 2014. We needed every CB we signed.

Archived