Mid to Late Round Wrs

JetBlue

It seems to me that we may be going pass rusher at 6 and now perhaps even running back in the 2nd (Melvin Gordon).  

If we take a receiver in the 3rd, 4th or 7th rounds, here are a couple of possibilities.

1. Duke_logo.gif Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke 
    Height: 5-8. Weight: 174. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.52. 
    Projected Round (2015): 3-5. 

2/14/15: The undersized Crowder produced a good season for the Blue Devils with 85 receptions for 1,044 yards with six touchdowns. He finished the year well with a 100-yard receiving game and a punt return for a touchdown against Arizona State in Duke's bowl game. For the NFL, Crowder is a speedy, slot receiver, but the senior may not have the size to stick at the next level. He had a good showing at the Senior Bowl. 

As a junior, Crowder made 108 catches for 1,360 yards with eight touchdowns. He had 76 receptions for 1,074 yards and eight scores as a sophomore. 

Personal: Son of Brenda and James Crowder. Majoring in sociology. 

2. MichiganState_logo.gif Tony Lippett, WR, Michigan State 
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 192. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.57. 

2/14/15: Lippett was Connor Cook's No. 1 receiver in 2014 and had good production for the Spartans with 65 receptions for 1,198 yards with 11 touchdowns. Lippett showed nice route-running and hands for Michigan State. The senior was very improved over his previous seasons, although he didn't stand out at the Senior Bowl. 

Lippett had 44 catches for 613 yards with two touchdowns in 2013. The previous year, he hauled in 36 receptions for 392 yards and two scores. 

3. Houston_logo.gif Deontay Greenberry*, WR, Houston 
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 200. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.55. 

2/14/15: Greenberry totaled 72 receptions for 841 yards and six touchdowns in 2014. He has good size, but if he has the speed to separate from NFL-caliber cornerbacks isn't clear. Greenberry should have returned for his senior year, but he entered the 2015 NFL Draft. His stock could be hurt by not receiving a Combine invite. 

8/27/14: Greenberry was the first Scout.com "five star" recruit to sign with Houston. He made an immediate impact as a freshman in 2012 with 47 receptions for 569 yards and three touchdowns. Greenberry upped his game as a sophomore with 82 receptions for 1,202 yards and 11 touchdowns. 

The junior has size to go with speed. It wouldn't be surprising if Greenberry has massive production in 2014. 

5. WilliamMary_logo.gif Tre' McBride, WR, William & Mary 
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 205. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.49. 
    Projected Round (2015): 4-6. 

2/14/15: There was one wide receiver who really stood out at every East-West Shrine practice and that was McBride. He destroyed the cornerbacks in the one-on-ones as he consistently got open using his quickness and route-running to get separation. McBride showed some speed to get downfield and challenge defenses vertically. The 6-foot, 205-pounder has enough size as well. Of all the players at the East-West Shrine, he maybe did the most to help himself. McBride had 64 catches for 809 yards and four touchdowns in 2014. His junior numbers were nearly identical (63-801-5). 

6. Utah_logo.gif Dres Anderson, WR, Utah 
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 190. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.55. 

2/14/15: Anderson hauled in 22 receptions for 355 yards and four touchdowns in seven games. He suffered a knee injury in late October that ruled him out for the rest of the season. Anderson accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl, but didn't play due to injury. 

8/27/14: Anderson had a breakout year for the Utes in 2013. He hauled in 53 passes for 1,002 yards with seven touchdowns. Anderson also contributed as an underclassmen with 36 catches for 365 yards and three scores. In 2011 he had 23 catches for 355 yards and three scores. 

Personal: Dres is the son of Lolita and Willie "Flipper" Anderson. Flipper Anderson played from 1988-1997 with the Broncos, Redskins, Colts and Rams. 

7. Maryland_logo.gif Stefon Diggs*, WR, Maryland 
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 190. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.39. 

2/14/15: In 2014, Diggs caught 62 passes for 792 yards and five touchdowns. He missed three games after suffering a lacerated kidney against Penn State. Diggs came back to play in Maryland's bowl game and did well against Stanford (10-138). Despite major durability issues, Diggs decided to enter the 2015 NFL Draft. 

8/23/15: Maryland is counting on Diggs to be a big-time play-maker on offense and special teams in 2014. He is an explosive weapon and a deep scoring threat. Diggs could be even better this coming season due to the experience he's gained. It wouldn't be a surprise if Diggs is one of the top play-makers in all of college football as a junior. 

Diggs was off to a great start in the early part of 2013. The sophomore recorded 34 receptions for 587 yards (17.3 average) and three touchdowns before breaking his right fibula in October. That cause him to miss the rest of the season. 

Diggs was one of the top recruits in the nation and decided to stay local by attending Maryland. He caught 54 passes for 848 yards with six touchdowns in 2012. The freshman had a big impact on special teams as well. Diggs averaged 10 yards per punt return and 28.5 yards on his kick returns. He had two kicks brought back for touchdowns. 

A true sleeper who might last to the 7th is Darren Waller from Georgia Tech (I know! I know!).  This kid is 6'6" and 240lb and could be a nice developmental piece assuming he is still around that late.  He could learn from another big physical receiver on the team and be ready to maybe to take over in a couple of years.  Could also be groomed as a WR/TE hybrid.

I hear alot of good things about Tre McBride. If I had to pick a guy from that list I would go Stefon Diggs. The kid has durability issues, but we're not asking him to come in and contribute as a starter. Hide him on the depth chart and give him a year to heal his body and in an NFL training facility. It could pay off dividends down the road. He's a guy that if he was able to stay no the field he'd be a 2nd round pick in this class. 

Another guy who happens not to be on your list is Chris Harper from Cal. Another slot guy. I liked what I seen from him last year. Anyone of these guys as the 4th WR would be a good addition. 

Might have to grab him in round 3 if he's there, but Greene as Gato points out is a nice prospect. Could fit in very nicely in the slot, good route runner with reliable hands, little slight but seems a good bet to be a decent NFL receiver.

Tyler Lockett out of K-State is another interesting guy. Little more pop than Greene, believe he's a return guy as well.

Another dude is Kenny Bell from Nebraska.

BOTTOM LINE Lanky, vertical wide receiver with a second gear. He likes to lull cornerbacks to sleep before hitting the gas and getting over the top of them for big plays. Bell is a little more straight-lined than some teams are looking for, but with reliable hands and an ability to make plays on the ball down the field, he has starter's traits as a potential

Watched him play a lot because I'm a cornhusker fan and really like his play and attitude. I hear he is a great lockeroom guy as well.

Another dude is Kenny Bell from Nebraska.

BOTTOM LINE Lanky, vertical wide receiver with a second gear. He likes to lull cornerbacks to sleep before hitting the gas and getting over the top of them for big plays. Bell is a little more straight-lined than some teams are looking for, but with reliable hands and an ability to make plays on the ball down the field, he has starter's traits as a potential

Watched him play a lot because I'm a cornhusker fan and really like his play and attitude. I hear he is a great lockeroom guy as well.

Cornhusker fan as well here...Kenny's also a good KR as well - also set a lot of receiving records at Nebraska.

if it's up to me, I take one of the top 3 WRs or I stay away from the position until the Cuts start coming in in training camp. I feel the Jets are 1 speed slot WR from having an excellent core.

Who do you consider the top 3?  I agree it is no longer the gaping hole that it has been the past few years, but a value WR is always welcome.  They take time develop and unlike some positions can often be a benefit during the season while being eased in.  I am actually getting tired of other team's cast-offs.  Owusu, Graham, Powell, Salas, Nelson, Massoquoi,have all been asked to play honest snaps on this team.  I guess maybe not Massoquoi, but Josh Cribbs.  I would rather have somebody that spent camp with the QB be a viable player and if that means using a draft pick I am all for it.

Who do you consider the top 3?  I agree it is no longer the gaping hole that it has been the past few years, but a value WR is always welcome.  They take time develop and unlike some positions can often be a benefit during the season while being eased in.  I am actually getting tired of other team's cast-offs.  Owusu, Graham, Powell, Salas, Nelson, Massoquoi,have all been asked to play honest snaps on this team.  I guess maybe not Massoquoi, but Josh Cribbs.  I would rather have somebody that spent camp with the QB be a viable player and if that means using a draft pick I am all for it.

White, Parker and Cooper.

if it's up to me, I take one of the top 3 WRs or I stay away from the position until the Cuts start coming in in training camp. I feel the Jets are 1 speed slot WR from having an excellent core.

Yeah his name is Phillip Dorsett and I have a feeling we will be taking him in the 2nd round....  We don't need Cooper, White or Parker; they would be nice to have but with Decker, Marshall, Kerley along with Dorsett, Owusu, Evans and Enunwa our wr corp will have the potential to be 5 in the league. 

I hear alot of good things about Tre McBride. If I had to pick a guy from that list I would go Stefon Diggs. The kid has durability issues, but we're not asking him to come in and contribute as a starter. Hide him on the depth chart and give him a year to heal his body and in an NFL training facility. It could pay off dividends down the road. He's a guy that if he was able to stay no the field he'd be a 2nd round pick in this class. 

Another guy who happens not to be on your list is Chris Harper from Cal. Another slot guy. I liked what I seen from him last year. Anyone of these guys as the 4th WR would be a good addition.

I live in VA and this kid McBride has nice hands and runs good routs love to have him learn from Decker and Marshal he might fall to us in the 4th, that is if we don't take a WR before that.

He would have a hard time catching a cold in a Flu epidemic. I realize I am being a little hard on the guy, but his hands are way too inconsistent.

I think when he is making plays all over the field for the Pats or somebody you may feel differently.  

Different positions obviously, but Coates reminds me a lot of Vernon Davis when he was coming out.

Coates is the very definition of a beast. The best thing about our situation is we don't need him to come and start because we have Marshall, Decker and Kerley.  We can groom this guy and let him continue to work areas of weakness like selling his routes better and better concentration.  In a year or two you could have the best receiver from this class. 

I think when he is making plays all over the field for the Pats or somebody you may feel differently.  

I am an Auburn  Fan and let me tell you, Sammie Coates will make you cry. The kid will make the sensational catch and drop a wide open TD. He's the kind of WR struggling  QBs won't throw the ball too because he might drop it.  He's the kind of player Belichek gets rid off.  He's the kind of player that can make an OC into a HC or get him fired.

IN the 4th or 5th round, I take a flyer on him, but not in the 2nd.

He can't catch.

I am an Auburn  Fan and let me tell you, Sammie Coates will make you cry. The kid will make the sensational catch and drop a wide open TD. He's the kind of WR struggling  QBs won't throw the ball too because he might drop it.  He's the kind of player Belichek gets rid off.  He's the kind of player that can make an OC into a HC or get him fired.

IN the 4th or 5th round, I take a flyer on him, but not in the 2nd.

He can't catch.

I totally disagree with that assessment and so do many draft experts.  He has been inconsistent but to say he can't catch is flat out lie.  I will be shocked if he makes it to the 3rd round.   Dude was absolutely one of the best deep threats in college football and averaged over 55 yards a catch on his 11 tds the past two seasons; did he use someone elses hands?  Also he is not a body catcher.  At the Senior Bowl he was snatching the ball out of the air.   What he is, is the perfect "developmental prospect" to learn from Marshall and Decker.  He can play in 4 wide sets, run go routes, reverses and end arounds, while working on his route running and concentration.   The guy with his physical ability should not be dismissed.   He just needs to be coached up and I am confident our CS is up to the challenge.  

Archived