Marcus Gilchrist Has been signed for 4 years

The12th Man

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly do not know much about this guy but I do know he is versatile and that's always a good thing. I also know he's more of a coverage safety than a in the box safety.

Hopefully this guy pans out. I just want to win.

I'll say it now, I'll be surprised if both Allen and Pryor make the final roster. Jmo. I know guys like Cro are big fans of Allen's skills. But he's really a natural in the box SS like Pryor. In these spread one back sets everyone uses now I don't know. Maybe I'm not giving either enough credit.

Especially Pryor. Should be really interesting how it all plays out.

I'll say it now, I'll be surprised if both Allen and Pryor make the final roster. Jmo. I know guys like Cro are big fans of Allen's skills. But he's really a natural in the box SS like Pryor. In these spread one back sets everyone uses now I don't know. Maybe I'm not giving either enough credit.

Both will be here....

How good is this guy? More of a coverage player than a run stuffer, I hope?

He played Corner coming into the NFL and did well in 2012/2013 moved to SS and preformed even BETTER in 2014/2015. Looks like he can do it all... And he has to be able to cover his he played corner well I would think.

This is the NFL dude. 1st round picks aren't dumped after 16 games. Pryor is going no where. Allen is a guy I like, but at this point he's walking the green mile

He played Corner coming into the NFL and did well in 2012/2013 moved to SS and preformed even BETTER in 2014/2015. Looks like he can do it all... And he has to be able to cover his he played corner well I would think.

Coverage guy, talking to my Chargers friend now and he says he's solid.

Good news.

Makes me wonder if Skrine was really a need but I guess we locked him down before we knew we could land the other 3 DBs we signed since.  But basically, assuming Bowles will run a base nickel package, we just signed four of the five starters in a week.  I assume Pryor and Allen will compete for the 2nd Safety spot with Milliner and maybe Walls as the backup CBs.  MM turned the worst secondary in football into one of the best faster than Idzik could figure out how to get an outside line on the phone system.

What I like about this is that clearly Mac and Bowles had a real plan coming into FA.  They went after specific players that fit specific roles to fit the scheme they want to implement...aka Skrine for slot, Gilcrhist as cover safety...and obviously Revis as the top cover corner.  I haven't felt for years like we really approached the off season with a plan...Tanny just trying to make headlines...and Idzik, well 'nuff said...no plan at all except hoarding cash.

For the first time in a long time, I feel like we have a future.

Decent signing I guess, don't know that much about him.  

The draft profile seems to think he's a very good cover guy, fast, and strong.  Although can't really find too much information about his coverage skills.   I'm not really sure why we targeted him over Moore, but we seemed to have gone all the way, negotiating with him for multiple days, wining and dining, I wonder what they see in him.  

Apparently Greg Cossel loves him, when they were discussing possible safeties for the Eagles.  

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/videos/videos/Film-Room-The-Free-Agent-Safeties/a49a8a33-f902-433f-82bb-6f64ae5c3d8f

Decent watch I guess.  Says he has some special abilities.  

I'm guessing Jarret is out after this, Allen can backup Gilchrist.  And Landry is most likely out as well.  

I'm guessing Jarret is out after this, Allen can backup Gilchrist. And Landry is most likely out as well.

Yeah, Landry should definitely be the odd man out, but why not keep all four of Gilchrist, Pryor, Allen, and Jarret? I think each has their own strengths, and that should be a pretty interesting battle to watch in camp. Besides, doesn't Bowles use a lot of DBs?

Makes me wonder if Skrine was really a need but I guess we locked him down before we knew we could land the other 3 DBs we signed since.  But basically, assuming Bowles will run a base nickel package, we just signed four of the five starters in a week.  I assume Pryor and Allen will compete for the 2nd Safety spot with Milliner and maybe Walls as the backup CBs.  MM turned the worst secondary in football into one of the best faster than Idzik could figure out how to get an outside line on the phone system.

Agreed. Skrine seems redundant. I have high hopes for Milliner and if he performs as expected, we'll have to trade away a CB or two. I liked Walls as a backup as well.

I don't know Gilchrist as a player but limited searching shows he wasn't highly ranked among FA safeties at all.  PFF had him near the bottom of the list, as did espn.  Anyone know anything about him to suggest he was worth a 4-year deal and will be a material upgrade over Allen?

Archived