Bring Back Fireman Ed

Make me idSICK

I will keep this short. We started a petition to bring back Fireman Ed. I know some people love him and some people hate him.. Just throwing it out there that the petition exists incase anybody wants to sign it. We are already coming up on 600 signatures in the first day. 

https://www.change.org/p/fireman-ed-come-back-2

You can also read about it here. 

http://www.metro.us/sports/bringbacked-com-pushing-for-fireman-ed-return/zsJocl---sKbALRCKcDfY/

I - for one - am sick of how stagnant the crowd is and the absurd ways that Neil Glat tried to replace Ed with his dopey marching band and stupid fan contests.. putting any personal feelings about Ed aside, I am sure that nobody can argue that he is the only person who has proven that can get the chant going - and since he has been gone, the game day atmosphere has suffered because of it. 

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will keep this short. We started a petition to bring back Fireman Ed. I know some people love him and some people hate him.. Just throwing it out there that the petition exists incase anybody wants to sign it. We are already coming up on 600 signatures in the first day.

https://www.change.org/p/fireman-ed-come-back-2

You can also read about it here.

http://www.metro.us/sports/bringbacked-com-pushing-for-fireman-ed-return/zsJocl---sKbALRCKcDfY/

I - for one - am sick of how stagnant the crowd is and the absurd ways that Neil Glat tried to replace Ed with his dopey marching band and stupid fan contests.. putting any personal feelings about Ed aside, I am sure that nobody can argue that he is the only person who has proven that can get the chant going - and since he has been gone, the game day atmosphere has suffered because of it.

I agree I miss him as well. Problem is the team didn't get rid of him, he left due to the fans. He wore an Sanchez jersey and was getting cursed at etc.. While he was with his kids. That is the reason he left, so the only way to get him back is if he feels like it. Meanwhile I do feel that if he sees petition he will think about it but honestly I don't see him coming back. Even though he still goes to all home games and sits in his normal seat at the end zone.

We aren't reaching out to the Jets... We are reaching out to Ed. He turned down the team when they asked him to come back last year... We are hoping he won't turn down the fans.

I also hope this time around, it goes back to being the way it was in the 80s and 90s when he wasn't a character... He was just a fan who led the cheer... So no speaking engagements or team sponsored events... No autograph sessions.. Just coming back for the right reasons and not going out the way things ended.

I love Ed. He still goes to all the games and he should come back. The Jets did the one fan a game thing last year for the chant and I am told it will be the same thing this year.

Time for Ed to take the chant back.

I am going to reach out to him and tell him he needs to come back. My vote means nothing but still, it is worth a shot.  :)

We aren't reaching out to the Jets... We are reaching out to Ed. He turned down the team when they asked him to come back last year... We are hoping he won't turn down the fans.

I also hope this time around, it goes back to being the way it was in the 80s and 90s when he wasn't a character... He was just a fan who led the cheer... So no speaking engagements or team sponsored events... No autograph sessions.. Just coming back for the right reasons and not going out the way things ended.

I like this, it is a fan chant. So the Jets can put up whoever they want on the big screen.

But let's take the chant back from them. The team had a year to find a replacement and they didn't. So time for the fans to claim ownership again.

I love Ed. He still goes to all the games and he should come back. The Jets did the one fan a game thing last year for the chant and I am told it will be the same thing this year.

I am going to reach out to him and tell him he needs to come back. My vote means nothing but still, it is worth a shot.   :)

That one fan a game thing the team did last year was outright buffoonish.

Ed was cool in my book. Some of my seats are near where he used to be, and I saw him do some cool stuff for fellow fans for no other reason than just being a good dude. If he is happier enjoying the Jets away from being the center of attention then good for him. But I do wish he would step back into the role, put the hat on, and lead the chant at the stadium again.

I think a good portion of the FEW jets fans that had a beef with him were just resentful of him being anointed as the Jets official fan. In today's age of social media "look at me" hunger for fame, some people I am sure relish the attention he received. I don't think the guy ever asked for it, he was a fan like the rest of us that just went to all the games and had a knack for getting the crowd going.

The guy is a good dude and he is always more than welcome to come hang with the tailgatejoe crew in the lot before the game.

I am going to reach out to him and tell him he needs to come back. My vote means nothing but still, it is worth a shot.   :)

Ed is awesome...make it happen Max.

Spoke with him during halftime one game last season.  Great guy and did leave the door open to a return (if only occasionally for big games).  Fans just gotta learn not to take out their frustrations on him.

It's a shame...all the guy does is get the fans to do a great chant in unison to pump everyone up, but a few jealous fans who wish there were the ones on the Jumbotron decide to attack him instead. 

Imagine the Bills at our place. Jets win the toss and elect to kick off. As the D walks on the feild Rocky theme music erupts and up stands Ed wairing the hat, the crowd erupts. The chant begins. Pan over to Bills sideline Rex has tears in his eyes, looks out his QB Matt Cassale, over to the Jets D. He starts to fantasize about the whole D Jets tattoo'd on his wife's ass. Realizes it's just a dream. First play Sheldon crushes Cassale, in comes EJ. Rex looks down. Shakes his head in disgust. His nightmare is about to begin J-E-T-S jets jets jets!

lol.. no billboard necessary this time.. hopefully this petition will show him how much support he has - and the people who hate him will see how much he meant to the majority of true Jets fans. We are already around 650 signatures, so we are off to a great start. And if anybody has a few minutes free, you gotta read some of the comments at the bottom of the petition. Fantastic stuff. 

I loved the energy he brought to the games.  I understand why he quit but it would be weird that he stepped down while were going through bad times and then pops back up when the team seems better on paper.

I would sign the petition..

I would love this. We need to start having a legitimate advantage during our home games. Unfortuantely, we do not. I go to 4-6 games a year, and I constantly get bitched at for standing up and making noise.

The fans really do play an essential role in the home team advancing. Bring this guy back. The people that don't want him back seem to be the ones that are wanting to be in his shoes and in the spotlight.

I would love this. We need to start having a legitimate advantage during our home games. Unfortuantely, we do not. I go to 4-6 games a year, and I constantly get bitched at for standing up and making noise.

The fans really do play an essential role in the home team advancing. Bring this guy back. The people that don't want him back seem to be the ones that are wanting to be in his shoes and in the spotlight.

WTF is wrong with people anymore?  I saw that at games this year and I swear the last few concerts I've gone to there are people bitching at me for standing up.  Are you serious?  I paid  however many hundred dollars to come see this and you expect to act like I'm in my living room watching it on TV because you don't feel like standing up for two hours?  People have lost their minds.

Oh...and get Ed back...I'm gonna sign now.

most people that don't want him back don't go to the games.. it is kinda bizarre actually - but it makes sense. Unless you are at the stadium, you don't realize the impact he has on the game day atmosphere - and how badly he has been missed… What I can't figure out is exactly why those people are so passionately against him. 

most people that don't want him back don't go to the games.. it is kinda bizarre actually - but it makes sense. Unless you are at the stadium, you don't realize the impact he has on the game day atmosphere - and how badly he has been missed… What I can't figure out is exactly why those people are so passionately against him. 

No logical reason other than jealousy.  They look at Ed getting attention for loving the Jets and they're upset that it isn't them.  "I'm a fan too...why can't I be the face of Jet fans everywhere"? kind of thought process.

I've yet to hear any reason that comes remotely close to making sense as to why you would hate somebody who gets the crowd pumped up at home games for a team you claim to cheer for.  Zero sense...none.

This is fair. As the guy saying leave him alone, full disclosure, I only go to one game per year.

True story I was actually thinking about this after I posted, This petition should be for the season ticket holders only.

No logical reason other than jealousy.  They look at Ed getting attention for loving the Jets and they're upset that it isn't them.  "I'm a fan too...why can't I be the face of Jet fans everywhere"? kind of thought process.

I've yet to hear any reason that comes remotely close to making sense as to why you would hate somebody who gets the crowd pumped up at home games for a team you claim to cheer for.  Zero sense...none.

Here is the other thing.. I remember when you said in the article you wrote about our Idzik movement how people nowadays try to shame people who make money. When did our society get to that point? If Fireman Ed wants to try and get some free tickets because the team had him running around the stadium and making appearances on the team's behalf - then I support that. He should be paid for it. Why not? The team rakes in countless billions of dollars. 

However, I would like to see Ed stop with the autograph sessions.. no more team sponsored appearances.. no free tickets.. just go back to the way things used to be and lead the chant for the fans. If he does that and ANYBODY has a problem with it then I don't even know what to say about them.. that is just sad. 

Here is the other thing.. I remember when you said in the article you wrote about our Idzik movement how people nowadays try to shame people who make money. When did our society get to that point? If Fireman Ed wants to try and get some free tickets because the team had him running around the stadium and making appearances on the team's behalf - then I support that. He should be paid for it. Why not? The team rakes in countless billions of dollars. 

However, I would like to see Ed stop with the autograph sessions.. no more team sponsored appearances.. no free tickets.. just go back to the way things used to be and lead the chant for the fans. If he does that and ANYBODY has a problem with it then I don't even know what to say about them.. that is just sad. 

Exactly....easier to trash somebody for being successful than it is to admit that there's a good chance you aren't because you weren't willing to do the work.  Ed did a fun thing that people enjoyed.  He did  it well enough that it caught on and fans looked forward to seeing him.  Equal parts hilarious and sad that Jets fans get angry at him for having the nerve to get the crowd fired up.

I wasn't aware of the autograph sessions which isn't really my thing.  Not because it's him, but I don't really get in to the autograph thing as a whole.  If some kid thinks he cool and wants him to sign something then that's fine.  I'd much rather grab a beer with him and talk football.

Archived