Bring Back Fireman Ed

Make me idSICK

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TGG is a dumpster fire… shouldn't even waste my time over there but those guys do a great job of proving my point how ridiculous some Jets fans are.. And their negative energy is good for motivation. 

Facts are facts.. the majority of Jets fans who heard about this petition love it and have signed it.. 

I will keep this short. We started a petition to bring back Fireman Ed. I know some people love him and some people hate him.. Just throwing it out there that the petition exists incase anybody wants to sign it. We are already coming up on 600 signatures in the first day. 

https://www.change.org/p/fireman-ed-come-back-2

You can also read about it here. 

http://www.metro.us/sports/bringbacked-com-pushing-for-fireman-ed-return/zsJocl---sKbALRCKcDfY/

I - for one - am sick of how stagnant the crowd is and the absurd ways that Neil Glat tried to replace Ed with his dopey marching band and stupid fan contests.. putting any personal feelings about Ed aside, I am sure that nobody can argue that he is the only person who has proven that can get the chant going - and since he has been gone, the game day atmosphere has suffered because of it.

Ed is an unwelcome relic from the past.

He quit on the Jets because the fans quit on him first. The new stadium population doesn't need an old man in a helmet to tell us when to cheer. The Jets tried everything to push him on us. Stadium screen clips. Nope. Pregame events. Nope. Organized on-field pregame cheers. Nope. TV appearances. Nope. Signings. Nope. Lots of attempts, lots of fail.

We don't want him. It's proven. Some need to get the memo.

SAR I

The guy didn't quit on us. The fans just gave him a touch time and ran him out. He still comes to the games, though.

It's pathetic.

You're missing what happened completely.

This isn't about what happened during the Thanksgiving game. Fireman Ed's usefulness was fading for years before that night, no matter what he tried to do to get fans interested in him in MetLife Stadium it never worked. Whatever fans Ed had were in Giants Stadium and when they quit on the PSL process they were replaced by younger fans who don't get Ed and don't want to do some old, out-of-style chant.

The reason Ed is gone is becuase the fans don't want him anymore. And that's why he won't come back.

SAR I

This isn't about what happened during the Thanksgiving game. Fireman Ed's usefulness was fading for years before that night, no matter what he tried to do to get fans interested in him in MetLife Stadium it never worked. Whatever fans Ed had were in Giants Stadium and when they quit on the PSL process they were replaced by younger fans who don't get Ed and don't want to do some old, out-of-style chant.

The reason Ed is gone is becuase the fans don't want him anymore. And that's why he won't come back.

SAR I

WRONG!!!!

I would love to see him back. He was treated poorly by fans and the guy couldn't take the abuse anymore. Good initiative. 

And that's why Ed is never coming back.  Too many jerkoffs in the stands taking the fun out of going to a home game.  Most of these idiots probably couldn't name three current Jets.

SAR I

Sar… I respect you so I will not argue with you but what you said just isn't true at all… The signatures and comments on the petition are proof of that. But if you need further evidence, here are some "J-E-T-S" chants from the new stadium… 

Enjoy!

Imagine the Bills at our place. Jets win the toss and elect to kick off. As the D walks on the feild Rocky theme music erupts and up stands Ed wairing the hat, the crowd erupts. The chant begins. Pan over to Bills sideline Rex has tears in his eyes, looks out his QB Matt Cassale, over to the Jets D. He starts to fantasize about the whole D Jets tattoo'd on his wife's ass. Realizes it's just a dream. First play Sheldon crushes Cassale, in comes EJ. Rex looks down. Shakes his head in disgust. His nightmare is about to begin J-E-T-S jets jets jets!

It's so sad that as I read this post I got CHILLS .... I need a life

WRONG!!!!

RIGHT!

I was there. I attended every home game in the 2010 and 2011 seasons and despite our on-field success and the popularity of the team Ed's cheers were watered-down versions of what they used to be. People simply didn't want to do it anymore. It became boring to older fans and a curious distraction to younger fans.

Another reason why? The MetLife PA system is a loud mess. Commercials, public service announcements, loud metal music, helmet races, military recognition, tee boys, from the minute the game starts to the second it ends your ears are bombarded with noise and marketing. In fact, the only time you get a chance to hear yourself think or speak to a guy sitting next to you is during plays and that's when Ed is trying to squeeze his chant in. It's not happening.

You have to let this Fireman Ed thing go. The fans don't want him. It's great that you do, but paying customers in the seating bowl don't want his schtick any more. That's a fact. That's proven. I'll find the YouTube video of the big Fireman Ed event that took place 5 minutes before kickoff where he and 1000 fans were on the field spelling out "JETS" and leading the world's biggest Jets chant. No one cared. No one cheered. Ed was begging for participation.

We don't want him. It's simple as that.

SAR I

And that's why Ed is never coming back.  Too many jerkoffs in the stands taking the fun out of going to a home game.  Most of these idiots probably couldn't name three current Jets.

I see it as the opposite.

The Jets fan all the drunks out of the stadium or into the upper deck. The new fans Ed chanted near in Metlife were sober and sober people don't chant like 10 year olds at a girl scout event.

SAR I

Sar… I respect you so I will not argue with you but what you said just isn't true at all… The signatures and comments on the petition are proof of that. But if you need further evidence, here are some "J-E-T-S" chants from the new stadium… 

Enjoy!

=D>

Show me what percentage of voters are paying season ticket holders vs. stay-home-on-TV types who complain about everything.

The chant doesn't work in MetLife because there aren't enough drunks in the good seats to support it anymore.

SAR I

I agree I miss him as well. Problem is the team didn't get rid of him, he left due to the fans. He wore an Sanchez jersey and was getting cursed at etc.. While he was with his kids. That is the reason he left, so the only way to get him back is if he feels like it. Meanwhile I do feel that if he sees petition he will think about it but honestly I don't see him coming back. Even though he still goes to all home games and sits in his normal seat at the end zone.

In truth I didn't know why Fireman Ed left....We have a problem as fans it is as simple as that....

The fact that people have an negative opinion on a guy making money on autographs or anything else is beyond insane!! 

We are not a complete fascist state yet if you don't want to support someone or something don't buy it.  But for folks to act like because Fireman Ed gets up and brings some joy and excitement to some is somehow an infringement on their scrooge act is beyond pathetic...

In truth I didn't know why Fireman Ed left....We have a problem as fans it is as simple as that....

He left because things changed in the new stadium and people weren't paying attention to him. And since he was there for the recognition and the attention it became embarrassing for him to try to rile up a group that had no interest.

The apex of this situation occurred in 2011 or 2012 when there was a heavily publicized pregame event called "The Worlds Biggest J-E-T-S Chant" was held. About 1000 fans were on the field spelling out JETS. It was supposed to be this big thing to pump up the team as they came out of the tunnel. Ed started to chant, and no one in the crowd responded. Ed did it a second time. Again, no response. He eventually grabbed a microphone, stood up on a podium, and said "LET ME HEAR YOU!" "LET ME HEAR YOU!" It didn't work. He didn't attempt it again, it fizzled out. My buddies in my section were hysterical at first and then started checking their phones. It was very embarrassing for Ed but it also tells the story- we don't want a chant anymore.

SAR I

He left because things changed in the new stadium and people weren't paying attention to him. And since he was there for the recognition and the attention it became embarrassing for him to try to rile up a group that had no interest.

The apex of this situation occurred in 2011 or 2012 when there was a heavily publicized pregame event called "The Worlds Biggest J-E-T-S Chant" was held. About 1000 fans were on the field spelling out JETS. It was supposed to be this big thing to pump up the team as they came out of the tunnel. Ed started to chant, and no one in the crowd responded. Ed did it a second time. Again, no response. He eventually grabbed a microphone, stood up on a podium, and said "LET ME HEAR YOU!" "LET ME HEAR YOU!" It didn't work. He didn't attempt it again, it fizzled out. My buddies in my section were hysterical at first and then started checking their phones. It was very embarrassing for Ed but it also tells the story- we don't want a chant anymore.

SAR I

SAR I

You are by far one of my favorite posters.  Bold, funny, intelligent and above all else a passionate Jets fan!!  So while we have at times disagreed I l respect the heck out of you.... 

If you feel that Ed's time is past that may be the case, but some fans WHO ATTEND THE GAMES with you want him back and there is nothing wrong with that

what Sar is describing is exactly what is wrong with the game day atmosphere and why we put Neil Glat's name on the penalty flag towels... The team decided they wanted to control every aspect of the fan experience. You can't script dopey cheers like that - it doesn't work. That is the same reason people started to resent Ed - because the team got involved in what was previously an organic cheer created by the fans. 

Fact is that we want Ed to come back ONLY to lead the cheer for the fans.. not for team sponsored faux cheers or anything like that.. and for people to call him a "sellout" for taking whatever the Jets were offering him, that is ridiculous. If any one of you were being offered money or free tickets for that purpose, you would take it. If you say you wouldn't, you are lying. I don't hold any grudges for that. But if he comes back - hopefully the team will not try and get involved in any way. Just let fans be fans and worry about entertaining us with a solid product on the field. 

RIGHT!

I was there. I attended every home game in the 2010 and 2011 seasons and despite our on-field success and the popularity of the team Ed's cheers were watered-down versions of what they used to be. People simply didn't want to do it anymore. It became boring to older fans and a curious distraction to younger fans.

Another reason why? The MetLife PA system is a loud mess. Commercials, public service announcements, loud metal music, helmet races, military recognition, tee boys, from the minute the game starts to the second it ends your ears are bombarded with noise and marketing. In fact, the only time you get a chance to hear yourself think or speak to a guy sitting next to you is during plays and that's when Ed is trying to squeeze his chant in. It's not happening.

You have to let this Fireman Ed thing go. The fans don't want him. It's great that you do, but paying customers in the seating bowl don't want his schtick any more. That's a fact. That's proven. I'll find the YouTube video of the big Fireman Ed event that took place 5 minutes before kickoff where he and 1000 fans were on the field spelling out "JETS" and leading the world's biggest Jets chant. No one cared. No one cheered. Ed was begging for participation.

We don't want him. It's simple as that.

SAR I

The only people that don't want him are the fans that which had his job. Opposing teams are not at a disadvantage when they come to MetLife. They like to sit and watch the games as if they're watching a golf match. This is football. We need him in order to ignite the fans. It's that simple.

Everything does not work.

No twitter for me, don't have the time to do it.

The only time u need is setting it up and selecting some people to follow.  I have never tweeted anything out, I just get the notifications on my phone from football analysts.

Archived