Percy Harvin agreed to a one year deal with the Bills.

DRJETS

I'd love to know if Mac really truly tried to renegotiate his deal and if so how much he was offered. 

I'd love to have had him for $6 mill, i'm surprised another team (yes, such as NE) didn't offer him more.

I already explained why only a couple of teams were interested.

I seriously doubt Mac or Bowles ever had any intention of keeping Harvin in any capacity but have no evidence.

Harvin is on his 3rd or 4th chance in the NFL. After he causes his next mutiny, and it is inevitable, he will be out of the league for good and selling cars with Josh Gordon.

We need teams in the AFC East that can start to put some hurt on the Patriots.

Buffalos defense will be even better vs the Pats next year, if anyone knows what it takes to slow down Brady it's Rex.

Add Shady & Percy running against that sh*tty run defense of the Pats & Buffalo seriously will have a chance of sweeping the Pats for the 1st time in a LONG TIME.

The NFL is all about matchups, I don't see the Bills running on the Jets with weak armed Cassel to defend.

Then you have Miami with Suh, at least Geno can try to run away, Brady ain't running from nobody so just the fact that Suh has 2 chances to crush Brady is good for the Jets.

Gonna be an interesting year in the AFC East. No way will it be as easy for the Pats as it's been the last 11 years.

Good for us.

I think this puts to rest the ludicrous notion of the one-year value of Percy Harvin, as (at best) our 3rd option on offense, being $10.5M and a high 4th round pick.

Shopped himself all over the league and a one year, show-me contract with the friggin' Bills was the best offer he could get?

lol

Under Rex Ryan. Under the coach where receivers go to die.

He just didnt want to crawl back to the Jets.

I thought Mac treated him well with the early release, gave him a full shot at FA, said all the right things

6M seems low with all the recent FA deals but that is the market and glad he did not sign with Pats*

and if he signs with SF, we should get the popcorn ready - they are the odds on favorite to implode 

Under Rex Ryan. Under the coach where receivers go to die.

There isn't exactly a tendency for WRs tend to up their dollars under Ryan. While I guess technically anything can happen, his retention of Sanjay Lal in Buffalo doesn't strike one as the type of bold move for him that is likely to alter this trend. One might even consider it a bold move to retain him.

We need teams in the AFC East that can start to put some hurt on the Patriots.

Buffalos defense will be even better vs the Pats next year, if anyone knows what it takes to slow down Brady it's Rex.

Add Shady & Percy running against that sh*tty run defense of the Pats & Buffalo seriously will have a chance of sweeping the Pats for the 1st time in a LONG TIME.

The NFL is all about matchups, I don't see the Bills running on the Jets with weak armed Cassel to defend.

Then you have Miami with Suh, at least Geno can try to run away, Brady ain't running from nobody so just the fact that Suh has 2 chances to crush Brady is good for the Jets.

Gonna be an interesting year in the AFC East. No way will it be as easy for the Pats as it's been the last 11 years.

Rex's record versus the Pats is actually terrible. So yeah

Rex's record versus the Pats is actually terrible. So yeah

Actually it's better than any other team.

How many total losses have the Pats had? Not many. Jets have had a lot more CLOSER games than blowouts, yea Pats blew us out a few times but they have blown out many teams!

Including the upstart Colts like ALL THE TIME.

How many total losses have the Pats had? Not many. Jets have had a lot more CLOSER games than blowouts, yea Pats blew us out a few times but they have blown out many teams!

Close games are not part of "record". I've already dumped all over this dumb misconception in another thread. Rex only won 3 regular season games vs. the Patriots. He beat them twice in the first 2 years (2009/2010) when he had Mangini's veterans on the roster, he beat them once in the next 4 years and needed overtime to do it. In the other thread where this was discussed 9 points was the benchmark for indicating a blowout loss, and without double-checking on it over half of the losses were blowouts.

In other words, the legend of Rex's record versus the Patriots is a farce. Bill owned him. The Buffalo Bills over the same span of time actually played the Patriots closer in more games. If I can, I'll find the post I made detailing this for you... 

Here:

I'm not missing the point at all. I spoke specifically about the games under Rex, as I have many times before here, and pointed out that we lost most of them by more than 9 points - recollecting from memory. Now I'll give you the actual data.

Red indicates games where we lost by 9 or more points, meaning they beat us by 2 scores, which is not "competitive". 

September 20

New York Jets

16–9

November 22

New England Patriots

31–14

September 19

New York Jets

28–14

December 6

New England Patriots

45–3

January 16

New York Jets

28–21

October 9

New England Patriots

30–21

November 13

New England Patriots

37–16

October 21

New England Patriots

29–26 (OT)

November 22

New England Patriots

49–19

September 12

New England Patriots

13–10

October 20

New York Jets

30-27 (OT)

October 17

New England Patriots

27–25

December 21

New England Patriots

17–16

The only year with Rex where we were truly "competitive" with them was 2010, we split the regular season each of us clobbering the other, and beat them in the playoffs. One could argue we were the better team that year in general.

I didn't miss any point by extrapolating the statement that we haven't been competitive with them beyond Rex's tenure, because I'd already remarked specifically about Rex's time. By mentioning Mangini's time all I was doing was making the association that the "rivalry" was a product of the media - with Eric it was spygate and with Rex empty promises and moral victories. On the field, it wasn't as competitive as the hype machine wanted us to believe it was.

So I disagree with the premise that we played them "well". They beat us in 9 out of 13 match-ups under Rex (12 reg, 1 playoff). 5 of them were losses by 9+ points, non-competitive. They beat us in our own stadium 3 out of 6 times. We beat them in theirs 1 time, in the playoff game.

We played them "well" in the past year and a half, which I acknowledged earlier in the thread, if by well we stopped letting them pummel us regularly.

This isn't a rivalry, this is the Patriots owning us - and our fans buying into moral victories and Rex's back-page hype. Lame.

It is you that is failing to understand. 

You said Rex was "competitive" against New England. I said no he wasn't, I stated why Rex wasn't competitive ON THE FIELD. I then remarked that the notion of a competitive rivalry was a media fabrication, just like when Mangini was here, which I have explained. This point and distinction wasn't lost on anyone but you. 

You're arguing with me as though I'm trying to spin or run away from facts. I've don't nothing of the sort. It's not a rivalry between Rex's Jets and NE because we lost most of the games, we didn't "win a bunch" as you say, and we got downright dominated the past 4 years. It was billed as a rivalry because of Rex's press conference quotes and moral victory posturing in the media.

Just like it wasn't a rivalry between Mangini's Jets and NE because of the games, it was because of him being Bill's disciple and spygate stories in the media.

I've addressed the points about close games. Close games don't matter, wins matter. I've been very consistent in what I'm saying. Now you want me to name a list of 10-20 coaches and/or teams that have played the Pats better over the same time period? LOL, requests like that are an earmark for a lost argument. It's a flawed request and wouldn't prove anything either way... only the Bills and the Dolphins have played the Pats close the the amount of times we have in that span, I'm not sure if they've had 1 coach each in that span, I think the Dolphins won the division once in the span while we did not, but here... I'll show you how relevant this is anyway:

Red indicates blowout wins for Pats of 9 or more points, as has been established in this discussion.

Black is either "close" games or losses by the Pats.

Jets 9 - Pats 16

Pats 31 - Jets 14

Pats 25 - Bills 24

Pats 17 - Bills 10

Pats 27 - Fins 17

Fins 22 - Pats 21

We were the only team in the division to beat them that year, but the Bills played them more "competitive" in both matchups. What did the Bills get for that?

Jets 28 - Pats 14

Pats 45 - Pats 3

Pats 38 - Bills 30

Pats 34 - Bills 3

Pats 41 - Fins 14

Pats 38 - Fins 7

This concludes our best 2 years matching up with the Pats. Over that time, we beat them twice, and got drubbed twice. The Bills actually were competitive in 3 match ups with them. It didn't matter for sh*t for the Bills. Did it? That said, the Bills were more "competitive" than us in those games, but we won 2 of them, the Bills won zero.

Pats 30 - Jets 21

Pats 37  - Jets 16

Bills 34 - Pats 31

Pats 49 - Bills 21

Pats 38 - Fins 24

Pats 27 - Fins 24

In 2011, we were the least competitive team with the Pats.

The Jets and the Dolphins had 2 competitive match ups in 6 tries, each. The Bills had 4 competitive matchups in 6 tries. The Dolphins and Bills each had 1 win, while we had 2 over that span.

One could make the argument that while the Bills only notched 1 win versus the Pats in 3 seasons, but they had 4 competitive matchups in 6 tries, so they were the most competitive team in the division with them, if we're operating under the notion that narrow losses means anything at all. 

I'm not wasting time doing this for the rest of the seasons. Wins are wins. When we've lost 9 out of 12 regular season matchups to the Patriots, it really doesn't equate to it being "competitive". Other teams have narrow losses against the Pats too, some have more narrow losses than we do. It doesn't matter. 

Wins matter.

You're wrong about Rex making us "competitive" with them by some margin greater than other coaches did for their respective teams.

I already explained why only a couple of teams were interested.

I seriously doubt Mac or Bowles ever had any intention of keeping Harvin in any capacity but have no evidence.

Harvin is on his 3rd or 4th chance in the NFL. After he causes his next mutiny, and it is inevitable, he will be out of the league for good and selling cars with Josh Gordon.

Fans of other teams could say the same things about Marshall.  Just saying.

Good for us.

I think this puts to rest the ludicrous notion of the one-year value of Percy Harvin, as (at best) our 3rd option on offense, being $10.5M and a high 4th round pick.

Shopped himself all over the league and a one year, show-me contract with the friggin' Bills was the best offer he could get?

lol

Yeah, this was my thought process as well... it's the second most entertaining outcome for a WR debate over the past week, the first most is Stevie Johnson floating around in limbo the way guys like David Nelson have in the past. 

Nothing against Stevie, but the people who were arguing how valuable and great he'd make our offense. LMFAO.

Yeah, this was my thought process as well... it's the second most entertaining outcome for a WR debate over the past week, the first most is Stevie Johnson floating around in limbo the way guys like David Nelson have in the past. 

Nothing against Stevie, but the people who were arguing how valuable and great he'd make our offense. LMFAO.

I just noticed I goofed. I said 3rd option at best on offense. It's 4th option at best on offense, and as likely as not the 5th option, after Ivory and Powell (or whatever other RB gets 100+ touches).

Likely options on offense, by the numbers:

#1 = Ivory

#2 = Powell or other RB (somewhere between here and #4)

#3 = Marshall

#4 = Decker

#5 = earliest Harvin would have been, depending on his health plus Amaro's development

Would have been really friggin' stupid.

Where are all the people who cried, "Oh yeah well they have to spend it and there's no one else to spend it on!" and/or, "If we don't pay Harvin we'll just surrender that money back to the league because we can't reach the spending floor!"

It was ridiculous then and it's ridiculous now. We cut Harvin and still don't have enough to keep all our (current) defensive linemen under contract long term. (Maybe we do. I haven't checked the figures in several days. But after subtracting the rookie pool, it's no slam dunk).

An injury risk player...what a dumb move

How is signing an injury risk player to a one year reasonable contract a "dumb move"? Hate the Bills as much as you like, but at least be fair. I think this is a low risk, high reward signing. Not a dime invested in him beyond 2015 and even 2015 salary is pretty low for his talent.

Fans of other teams could say the same things about Marshall. Just saying.

They could... but there is a big difference between Marshall and Harvin.

Marshall was a person with an undiagnosed and untreated mental illness. He has done incredibly well since beginning medication and therapy.

There is no treatment for Harvin. He is just an angry, selfish prick.

Archived