Marshall raves about Geno

JetsRay

Brandon Marshall eyes Super Bowl, raves about ‘starting QB’ Geno

March 13, 2015 | 6:41pm

Modal Trigger

brandon1.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1
Brandon Marshall Photo: Getty Images
MORE ON:  

Brandon Marshall has spent the week watching his new team line up new pieces, and it’s got him excited.

The Jets agreed to trade for the wide receiver on March 6, days before free agency opened and the team went on a spending spree to add players. Marshall said the Jets had a strong nucleus to begin with, and the additions of players such as Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie have the team ready to compete.

Marshall said this team is starving for a Super Bowl. Well, with one exception.

“These guys really created something special here, and now you have guys like myself just coming in — we’re all hungry,” Marshall said. “We want something besides freaking Revis Island. He’s coming off a Super Bowl. This is a young team, a team that is hungry, that doesn’t have much. We want that.”

The Jets will be Marshall’s fourth team in nine years in the NFL, and he has never been to the playoffs. He plans to change that with the Jets.

Marshall already has begun getting to know his new teammates. He said quarterback Geno Smith was flying Friday night to Florida, where Marshall lives, and the two were going to work out together.

Marshall said he’s been impressed by Smith, whom he has known since the quarterback was drafted.

“I just think he has a drive and a passion that a lot of people don’t see,” Marshall said. “From my conversations with him so far, it’s really got me excited.”

The Jets traded for quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick this week, but Marshall said Smith is the team’s starting quarterback at the moment.

“He’s the starting quarterback now,” Marshall said. “I know we just traded for Fitzpatrick. One thing I do know about coach is he’s going to create competition.”

Modal Triggermarshall3.jpg?w=197&h=300

MarshallPhoto: Getty Images

Marshall said the trade from the Bears was not unexpected. The Bears just hired a new GM and coach, and he suspected he might be on his way out. As for Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, Marshall insisted there were no issues between the two, who also played together in Denver.

“We’re brothers,” he said. “We’re the brothers that we love each other and we also get into it. It’s always been that way, and it will never change.”

The soon-to-be 31-year-old arrives with a reputation for finding trouble. Some of that has to be blamed on the borderline personality disorder Marshall acknowledged in 2011 he has. Marshall said since then, he has worked to change the way he lives.

“The perception of the first five years [in the NFL] was close to being a reality,” Marshall said. “I was lost and really didn’t cope and deal with things right the first couple of years. My second year in Miami was when it really was a transformation in my life and in my heart and really started seeing the world the way it’s supposed to be seen. Since then I’ve been living my life in a way … I wouldn’t say I’ve been perfect, but in a way that I’m happy with and feel that I’m being an effective, healthy citizen wherever I am.

“It’s a personality, not a character issue.”

Marshall has used his stature in the NFL to raise awareness about mental health issues. He appeared on Showtime’s “Inside the NFL” last year to further that platform and drew some criticism for a perceived lack of commitment to the Bears. The show is filmed in New York, so it required a plane flight from Chicago. Now, it’s a car ride.

“This is not the reason I came to New York, but it’s a perk. It’s only a 30-minute ride to Showtime if we choose to do that again,” he said.

If he does the show, Marshall made it clear that football is his top priority after his family and his faith.

He is excited about his new football home and said he believes he can be productive for the Jets, the team with which he would like to finish his career after getting traded three times.

“Being a one-hit wonder or a rental definitely affects you emotionally,” he said. “I don’t want to go through that again. I want to take this opportunity and make the best out of it.”

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take it with a grain of salt, heard plenty of people raving about Sanchez and how his QB West was going to revolutionize off season prep and we saw how that turned out.  I think it's good that they are getting along well on one hand, and develop some camaraderie.  However, it's also not good to have a QB competition, where the offense prefers one guy, and then there might be problems arising if that person is losing the competition and lead to a split clubhouse.  

You know what I wish?  Both Fitz and Geno hold these camps together, so they can share their knowledge, and get to know the WRs at the same time without coaches barking and yelling.  

Sounds like a good person...........

Watch his 'A Football Life'. He's not a bad guy by any means.

Maybe at one point he was young, dumb, and with an undiagnosed disorder, sure. But not a bad person at all.

What do his other personalities think?

Lmao

Good read.....hey Geno getting together with Marshall can only be a positive in my mind, regardless if he ends up starting or not. I'm not worried about a spilt in the locker room over a QB competition.

Marshall does seem like a good dude and I'm glad to hear he's as excited about the team as much as we are.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

http://www.jetsconfidential.com/news/holmes-raves-about-his-experience-with-sanchez-and-others/

Holmes Raves About His Experience with Sanchez, others

In an interview with Eric Allen of newyorkjets.com, Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes had great things to say about his recent workouts in Orlando, with Mark Sanchez and other teammates.

"Mark (Sanchez), Dustin (Keller), Patrick (Turner), guys that came down to work out with me, I loved it, man", Holmes said. 

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/03/13/eric-decker-says-he-researched-geno-before-agreeing-with-jets/

Eric Decker Says He Researched Geno Before Agreeing With Jets

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – Eric Decker says he did his due diligence on 23-year-old quarterback Geno Smith before agreeing to join the New York Jets.

“I did researchicon1.png; I didn’t go into our meeting today blind,” Decker told the Denver Post. “When you go from a Hall of Fame quarterback, no one else, no matter who it is, can be on the same level.”

The Jets agreed to terms on Wednesday with the former Denver Broncos wide receiver, considered by many the top free agent at his position after two seasons catching passes from Peyton Manning. His deal is reportedly worth $36.25 million over five years.

Decker said it was obvious that Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg “really believes in this kid” Smith, who drew solid reviews in his rookie year but was also benched twice during a rough three-game stretch.

“When you look at the statistics, yeah, he got off to a slow start, but he was hurt early on and he finished the season strong,” Decker said. “He improved all season long in a tough market. That’s pretty impressive.”

Not sure what everyone expects Marshall to say about a new teammate?  It's all flowers and candy before the season starts.  Everyone wants it to work out.  Wait until he's overthrown a few times in week one and then get back to me. Hopefully Marshall will prove all the naysayers wrong and rise above his previous press clippings.

Not sure what everyone expects Marshall to say about a new teammate? It's all flowers and candy before the season starts. Everyone wants it to work out. Wait until he's overthrown a few times in week one and then get back to me. Hopefully Marshall will prove all the naysayers wrong and rise above his previous press clippings.

Yes the point is that he doesn't have to say anything, The fact that he goes out of his way to support Geno and share his excitement publicly about working with him does say something, no matter how hard some in this thread want to mock the article, and extend their own agendas against Geno.

BPD is a serious disorder. The pressure of competing in the NFL is a stressor which could exacerbate the symptoms.. He is prolly on some serious meds to function, and not spend his life in group therapy.

I hope being on the NYJ works out for him and the team.

I really wish all the smart asses in this thread would be man enough to step to Marshall make those stupid comments to his face.   So many freaking jerks on this board. 

Haters like I say the night we win the Super Bowl there will be guys here bitching about something 

Archived