Tender for Damon Harrison

evsbabes

It's only out the window if they consider it to be thrown out the window. If the Jets felt Harrison's presence was that crucial to the team they wouldn't risk it over $1M. NE clearly feels the same NT position is far more valuable to them, as evidenced by the money they've been paying Wilfork for some time now. They may still pay Wilfork again, but are seeing what other options they have first. Will they think Harrison is worth their 2nd round pick? I didn't suggest it was probable, but in no way out of the question given their team's situation and present needs.

And your sarcasm aside, NE has done this same thing before, in case you slept through their acquisition of Wes Welker. Welker was tagged with a 2nd rounder and NE paid him more than the Dolphins were willing to pay him. Uh-doyyyyyy!

So not only is it something that could happen, it is something that has happened, and the result isn't likely to scare them off again.

Miami agreed to a trade. It's not the same thing.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you don't think the scenario that I posted in Post #13 in this thread has merit?  Easley will not get more than 2 mill until 2019, Branch and Siliga only get 2mill.  The NFL treats 3-4 DEs as DT for tag purposes as they play the same position as a 3 tech DT between the tackle-guard gap. The pats sign him to a 3 year 15 mill contract with a 9 mill SB, but with the stipulation that he will be the highest paid DT on the team. The jets have to match that offer and that would make his first year salary over 7mill or cause the jets to trade Wilkenson and then the last year of his 3 year contract richardson new option would kick in and his last years salary would balloon after giving him a 9 mill bonus two years earlier.

I zoned out reading this, as I do most of the drivel you post, so there's literally no chance in hell I'm going back to post #13 to kill brain cells.

I'm not sure I understand why the Jets didn't offer a 1st round tender for Damon Harrison instead of the 2nd round tender they did offer him.  It would have only cost the Jets about another 900K, and would have guaranteed a first round draft pick for the Jets if someone else snagged him without us matching.

Harrison got the reputation through his play as a tough run stopper, and I think what the Jets did is an open invitation for others to go after him.

For instance, let's say that the Patriots offered Harrison 5 Million per year for 4 years, would we match that?  If not, we only get a 2nd round pick, which is the end of the 2nd round by the way, and the Patriots would get a capable replacement for the defensive middle for the next 4 years, and we would now be looking for his replacement.  And if we did match it, then why wouldn't we have tendered him for a 1st round pick to begin with?

If the Jets gave him a first round tender, then a team like the Patriots would think twice before making a move like this.

I just don't get it!

I wish it were a 1st round tender for the extra $900,000.  NE needs help on the DL and might just give up the #64 pick to get Snacks.  He's worth that.  Of course we could always match the offer.  But NE is decimated at CB right now and there's not much left out there for them so you know they will be using their picks on CB and DL so maybe they value that 2nd higher than Snacks.  

Miami agreed to a trade. It's not the same thing.

Your smug contention was NE wouldn't outpay someone else and throw a 2nd rounder "out the window" for the right to do so.

And they agreed to a trade because Miami tagged him with a 2nd rounder. The trade was negotiated (and agreed upon) because NE was negotiating with Welker to put a poison pill in the contract so Miami couldn't match it, but they settled on a trade instead. 

But for the most part - certainly as it pertains to your original point - it's a distinction without a difference. 

Nice try.

I'm not sure I understand why the Jets didn't offer a 1st round tender for Damon Harrison instead of the 2nd round tender they did offer him.  It would have only cost the Jets about another 900K, and would have guaranteed a first round draft pick for the Jets if someone else snagged him without us matching.

Harrison got the reputation through his play as a tough run stopper, and I think what the Jets did is an open invitation for others to go after him.

For instance, let's say that the Patriots offered Harrison 5 Million per year for 4 years, would we match that?  If not, we only get a 2nd round pick, which is the end of the 2nd round by the way, and the Patriots would get a capable replacement for the defensive middle for the next 4 years, and we would now be looking for his replacement.  And if we did match it, then why wouldn't we have tendered him for a 1st round pick to begin with?

If the Jets gave him a first round tender, then a team like the Patriots would think twice before making a move like this.

I just don't get it

because they do not believe anyone would give up/ a first rounder for him.  they probably want someone to sign him

because they do not believe anyone would give up/ a first rounder for him.  they probably want someone to sign him

I agree that's it. A lot more than the extra million (with the way they've been spending). If they really wanted to keep him they wouldn't dilly-dally over that amount. I guess in theory they could tag him with a 1 and just make it known they're not really seeking a 1st rounder, but don't want to just end up with a pick outside the top 50 (not to mention maybe outside the top 60).

Tagging him with the 2 is more likely to mean they'd rather have a pick than it is a method of gauging his true value so they don't overpay in locking him up. I would say we'll see soon enough, but the likelihood is he'll remain a Jet for the year. It happens now and then, but it's a high pick to match (particularly for those with top-15 selections, or for any who don't have a 1st rounder to begin with, like Buffalo or Seattle).

I wonder what Maccagnan would do if someone called and offered a high 3rd rounder. Or a 3rd and a 6th (or some combination equates to almost a 2nd rounder). How badly does he prefer the pick(s) to the player?

So you don't think the scenario that I posted in Post #13 in this thread has merit?  Easley will not get more than 2 mill until 2019, Branch and Siliga only get 2mill.  The NFL treats 3-4 DEs as DT for tag purposes as they play the same position as a 3 tech DT between the tackle-guard gap. The pats sign him to a 3 year 15 mill contract with a 9 mill SB, but with the stipulation that he will be the highest paid DT on the team. The jets have to match that offer and that would make his first year salary over 7mill or cause the jets to trade Wilkenson and then the last year of his 3 year contract richardson new option would kick in and his last years salary would balloon after giving him a 9 mill bonus two years earlier.

They made those kind of poisen pills illegal.  That was from when the Vikings stole Hutch from the Seahawks

That was a long time ago, before the current CBA. And they addressed it in the CBA because it was overturned in arbitration. Not saying it can't be done, but I know they made it stricter so that neither of those deals would have been allowed.

I'm sure there are always methods of sneaking things in there that were never intended. 

Since it appears you got that excerpt from Wikipedia, you should have pasted (or read) the part that came directly after that:

In 2011, the NFL and NFLPA ratified a new collective bargaining agreement. In this agreement, poison pill clauses were eliminated from offer sheets issued to players under the transition tag. The specific language in the CBA states:

"No Offer Sheet may contain a Principal Term that would create rights or obligations for the Old Club that differ in any way (including but not limited to the amount of compensation that would be paid, the circumstances in which compensation would be guaranteed, or the circumstances in which other contractual rights would or would not vest) from the rights or obligations that such Principal Term would create for the Club extending the Offer Sheet (i.e., no 'poison pills')."

The effect of this additional language has resulted in the transition tag being useful to teams again. In 2014, the Pittsburgh Steelers applied the transition tag to Jason Worilds and the Cleveland Browns applied the transition tag to Alex Mack. Worilds signed his transition tag, while Mack accepted an offer sheet from Jacksonville. Cleveland later matched to the offer sheet, thus keeping Mack as a Brown.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--nfl-free-agency-oddities--poison-pills--midnight-strolling-and-unwanted-qbs-turned-hall-of-famers--012519263.html;_ylt=A0LEVr9eSQRVyM8AmLMnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEzbnM3aWYwBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1lIUzAwM18x

This is the Jason Cole article I quoted. what you are referring to is a transition tag, not the RFA designation harrison was not designated a transition player. Two totally different designations.  The sceanrio I laid out places as many real restricitons on the pats. for those three years they can not sign any FA DT for more than 2mill a year or Harrisons contract goes up as much. Say next year the pats want to sign ngata, they can only offer him the same contract on a yearly basis or Harrisison pay will go up. Harrison goes on IR and the pats sign a replacement, his salary goes up while he recuperates.  Being the highest paid player at your position is not an unheard of in sports.

They made those kind of poisen pills illegal.  That was from when the Vikings stole Hutch from the Seahawks

No they did not, they can not be used if a player is tagged as a transition player. the jets did not tag him so. He is a RFA with the jets holding rights of first refusal. 

I look forward to the day where every player that either leaves or potentially leaves when the discussion doesn't immediately evolve into "Oh no, he may go to the Pats...."

It isn't, "Oh no he may go to the Pats!" because of an, "Oh no we now have to face him!" POV.

It's that it would be worse for the Jets (compared to someone else signing him) because NE has the lowest low 2nd round pick (#64). Anyone else who might sign Harrison would trade us a higher draft pick than NE.

Which is why it has also been framed as preferring a top 50 pick or a top 60 pick as opposed to a lower one. NE doesn't own all the 2nd round picks after #50; they just own the lowest one, at #64.

It's only out the window if they consider it to be thrown out the window. If the Jets felt Harrison's presence was that crucial to the team they wouldn't risk it over $1M. NE clearly feels the same NT position is far more valuable to them, as evidenced by the money they've been paying Wilfork for some time now. They may still pay Wilfork again, but are seeing what other options they have first. Will they think Harrison is worth their 2nd round pick? I didn't suggest it was probable, but in no way out of the question given their team's situation and present needs.

And your sarcasm aside, NE has done this same thing before, in case you slept through their acquisition of Wes Welker. Welker was tagged with a 2nd rounder and NE paid him more than the Dolphins were willing to pay him. Uh-doyyyyyy!

So not only is it something that could happen, it is something that has happened, and the result isn't likely to scare them off again.

The pats also signed Emanuel Sanders two years ago and Pitt matched. They did it other times also, they signed more rfa than any other team. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--nfl-free-agency-oddities--poison-pills--midnight-strolling-and-unwanted-qbs-turned-hall-of-famers--012519263.html;_ylt=A0LEVr9eSQRVyM8AmLMnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEzbnM3aWYwBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1lIUzAwM18x

This is the Jason Cole article I quoted. what you are referring to is a transition tag, not the RFA designation harrison was not designated a transition player. Two totally different designations.  The sceanrio I laid out places as many real restricitons on the pats. for those three years they can not sign any FA DT for more than 2mill a year or Harrisons contract goes up as much. Say next year the pats want to sign ngata, they can only offer him the same contract on a yearly basis or Harrisison pay will go up. Harrison goes on IR and the pats sign a replacement, his salary goes up while he recuperates.  Being the highest paid player at your position is not an unheard of in sports.

I don't claim to know exactly what level is permitted. Only that they did address it in the CBA because generally they don't like these types of things done. If you want to outbid the old team, then pay him more than the old team is willing to pay. The old team is otherwise penalized for adding or for not cutting another top-quality player.

The NFL is governed by the NFL CBA, not what is "not unheard of in sports."

Since the new CBA went into effect in 2011, can you name any NFL player/team that has used poison pill language to give that new team an unfair advantage over the player's old team? If you can, then you can.

The pats also signed Emanuel Sanders two years ago and Pitt matched. They did it other times also, they signed more rfa than any other team.

You say this as though "this is a thing that could happen." Lol.

Truthfully it would be a good move on NE's part. Sure they could sign Ellis without surrendering a pick, but he isn't as good and hasn't demonstrated he could last a full season as a starter. A lot for a true contender to bank on. Generically saying it's a 2nd rounder ignores that 1 pick later it could generically be called a 3rd rounder. The quality of the prospect drafted is identical, though. He's not going to be a bank-breaker (I don't think) like Wilfork.

Also they have the advantage of negotiating with a player who is (sort of) under contract for a low amount with $0 guaranteed and has no contract beyond this season. Harrison's only getting $2M or so and can only choose to sign with the few teams - or the one team - willing to give up their 2nd round pick. Therefore he'll be more likely to take a slightly lower deal than one who is a true FA with 100% freedom to sign anywhere. He has to risk injury for the whole season otherwise.

I would still like to get higher than the #64 pick for him. He's been great.

I don't claim to know exactly what level is permitted. Only that they did address it in the CBA because generally they don't like these types of things done. If you want to outbid the old team, then pay him more than the old team is willing to pay. The old team is otherwise penalized for adding or for not cutting another top-quality player.

The NFL is governed by the NFL CBA, not what is "not unheard of in sports."

Since the new CBA went into effect in 2011, can you name any NFL player/team that has used poison pill language to give that new team an unfair advantage over the player's old team? If you can, then you can.

The pats are the only team that signed a rfa since the new CBA, there was no posion pill as Kraft and Rooney are friends.  I agree the NFL does not like them, but they did not make a rule forbidding them, the union did allow them to tighten up the language in the transition tag as you pointed out. The union is pissed that more teams don't make offers to RFAs

My ref to "not unheard of" is that there are pro players with that clause in thier contract. Brady had it in his that he would be a top 3 paid qb when he signed a deal around 8 years ago. 

And please if it is one of those "unwritten rules" like the pats broke signing Ballard who the giants wanted to stash on IR, you don't think BB would even blink at doing so!

You say this as though "this is a thing that could happen." Lol.

Truthfully it would be a good move on NE's part. Sure they could sign Ellis without surrendering a pick, but he isn't as good and hasn't demonstrated he could last a full season as a starter. A lot for a true contender to bank on. Generically saying it's a 2nd rounder ignores that 1 pick later it could generically be called a 3rd rounder. The quality of the prospect drafted is identical, though. He's not going to be a bank-breaker (I don't think) like Wilfork.

Also they have the advantage of negotiating with a player who is (sort of) under contract for a low amount with $0 guaranteed and has no contract beyond this season. Harrison's only getting $2M or so and can only choose to sign with the few teams - or the one team - willing to give up their 2nd round pick. Therefore he'll be more likely to take a slightly lower deal than one who is a true FA with 100% freedom to sign anywhere. He has to risk injury for the whole season otherwise.

I would still like to get higher than the #64 pick for him. He's been great.

No sperm, I say it as a thing that I want to happen. I like Harrison a lot, I don't understand the jets willingness to let him hit the market only encumbered by a #2 with both GB and NE in dire need of a NT. For what an extra 700,000 in cap room for a team that had 64mill?

I agree that's it. A lot more than the extra million (with the way they've been spending). If they really wanted to keep him they wouldn't dilly-dally over that amount. I guess in theory they could tag him with a 1 and just make it known they're not really seeking a 1st rounder, but don't want to just end up with a pick outside the top 50 (not to mention maybe outside the top 60).

Tagging him with the 2 is more likely to mean they'd rather have a pick than it is a method of gauging his true value so they don't overpay in locking him up. I would say we'll see soon enough, but the likelihood is he'll remain a Jet for the year. It happens now and then, but it's a high pick to match (particularly for those with top-15 selections, or for any who don't have a 1st rounder to begin with, like Buffalo or Seattle).

I wonder what Maccagnan would do if someone called and offered a high 3rd rounder. Or a 3rd and a 6th (or some combination equates to almost a 2nd rounder). How badly does he prefer the pick(s) to the player?

Right.  I know he is good at what he does, but how many snaps does he play?  And Bowles plays a lot of nickel and so on and so forth.  He just might not be as valuable to them as he was to Rex.

No sperm, I say it as a thing that I want to happen. I like Harrison a lot, I don't understand the jets willingness to let him hit the market only encumbered by a #2 with both GB and NE in dire need of a NT. For what an extra 700,000 in cap room for a team that had 64mill?

I was being sarcastic, at the expense of another poster asserting NE would never do such a thing. You should lighten up a bit since you can't even tell I was agreeing with you.

I'm in favor of keeping him outright. If they want to get an additional cheaper year out of him I have no issue with using the RFA tag while they can.

I would have made it a 1st but only because I don't want to trade him in the first place. But if we do, at least we get a 1st rounder in return. However unlikely, if a team with a top 2nd round pick comes knocking the Jets could always accept it. We can always take less than the tag level; what we can't do is force someone to give more than that.

Teams try to put a realistic tender on a guy. No team is going to offer him more than we would really be prepared to match, so we are in total control. If a team like a division rival tried to steal him, we just match. But if a team like tennesse or Jacksonville makes a move, we probably let him walk if it equals a top 40 draft pick.

I'm a huge fan of this guy, but for a to 40 or top 50 draft pick, he's expendable. I think there's about a 5% chance that he is not in green and white next season.

that's an important point, the jets control his destiny.  if they want to keep him, they will

Right.  I know he is good at what he does, but how many snaps does he play?  And Bowles plays a lot of nickel and so on and so forth.  He just might not be as valuable to them as he was to Rex.

First, Harrison is great at what he does, not good. Top 3 in the league is better than good.

Harris is one who is merely "good" at what he does. And though Harris shouldn't a regular in nickel packages either anymore, we threw $15M guaranteed at him all the same.

He's a great/elite run stopper who won't be a bank breaker. That he isn't on the field for as many snaps isn't as relevant as which snaps he doesn't play. So he's off the field on 2nd/3rd and 10-20. BFD. He's mandatory to put on the field on 3rd & short or goal line, and his absence on those all-important downs helps other teams extend drives or score outright.

I like Harrison and have no problem with him as the starting NT but I think Kenrick Ellis is a better NT. Harrison could be Wilfork, but Ellis has the potential to be Kris Jenkins.

I don't know. I don't hate Ellis, but I don't have this high of an opinion of him either.

Problem #1 is Ellis had that higher potential for years and couldn't supplant Harrison. 

Problem #2 is even as a backup he made it through a 16 game season once in 4 years. For all his added versatility by potential, he just recorded his first - and only - NFL sack in his 4th season (and even that didn't come until after we were already mathematically eliminated).

I was encouraged by what Ellis could be when we drafted him (even with the off-field stuff looming at the time). And he mostly played well for us when he wasn't too banged up or injury-inactive outright. But even healthy, he doesn't have the potential to be Kris Jenkins just because their pre-draft measurables were similar. In the end he's nowhere near that level player and never will be. Jenkins (when healthy) played like an all-time great. Ellis has never once played like an all-team great. Or even an all-game great. 

I like Harrison and have no problem with him as the starting NT but I think Kenrick Ellis is a better NT. Harrison could be Wilfork, but Ellis has the potential to be Kris Jenkins.

While Jenkins had Hall of Fame potential I think Wilfork had a better career. Even though Jenkins was twice the player. But he was very inconsistent. Not his play, but with the issues he had. Either off the field or him always being injured. You just didn't know what you were getting out of him each year or whether he'd even suit up. Wilfork wasn't as good or dominant but he was about as consistent as they come. And that's pretty much the same with Snacks and Ellis. Ellis has All Pro potential, if he just could manage to stay healthy for once. Snacks doesn't have the same upside but he's just rock solid. You rather get 10 consistent, good years out of Snacks or potentially 5 elite years out of Ellis?

While Jenkins had Hall of Fame potential I think Wilfork had a better career. Even though Jenkins was twice the player. But he was very inconsistent. Not his play, but with the issues he had. Either off the field or him always being injured. You just didn't know what you were getting out of him each year or whether he'd even suit up. Wilfork wasn't as good or dominant but he was about as consistent as they come. And that's pretty much the same with Snacks and Ellis. Ellis has All Pro potential, if he just could manage to stay healthy for once. Snacks doesn't have the same upside but he's just rock solid. You rather get 10 consistent, good years out of Snacks or potentially 5 elite years out of Ellis?

I don't think Ellis has all-pro or Jenkins potential so much as he has those types of measurables. He does have talent and great size, but he isn't in the same stratosphere of football player that a healthy Jenkins was. Yeah, he does keep getting injured, but he's healthy most of the time and still never flashes that kind of ability.

You (mostly) had me until your last "question" above. I'd take 5 elite years over 10 good years.

I don't think Ellis has all-pro or Jenkins potential so much as he has those types of measurables. He does have talent and great size, but he isn't in the same stratosphere of football player that a healthy Jenkins was. Yeah, he does keep getting injured, but he's healthy most of the time and still never flashes that kind of ability.

You (mostly) had me until your last "question" above. I'd take 5 elite years over 10 good years.

But the tricky thing with those elite years would be that you don't know when they'll come. You can't bank on Ellis having 5 straight elite years and then you just get rid of him. Out of 10 years let's say he has 5 elite years. In year 1-2, 5, 7-8. The rest of the time he doesn't play as well or lands o IR etc. and you have to find somebody to take his spot. Would you still take that over Snacks who will be there each year no matter what and perform at a high level but not quite as high? I don't know. I think the coaches would rather stick with the safer choice.

But I agree, a healthy/motivated Kris Jenkins was virtually unstoppable on a different level. Ellis can't be really blocked either at times, but when healthy/motivated Jenkins did whatever he wanted to to the guys that were blocking him. I still remember that one GIF of him just slapping the guard to the ground with like one arm, he doesn't even show any effort there. For most people it'd be like swatting an arm away from you. When Jenk does it you see a 300 pound lineman flying across the field.

But the tricky thing with those elite years would be that you don't know when they'll come. You can't bank on Ellis having 5 straight elite years and then you just get rid of him. Out of 10 years let's say he has 5 elite years. In year 1-2, 5, 7-8. The rest of the time he doesn't play as well or lands o IR etc. and you have to find somebody to take his spot. Would you still take that over Snacks who will be there each year no matter what and perform at a high level but not quite as high? I don't know. I think the coaches would rather stick with the safer choice.

But I agree, a healthy/motivated Kris Jenkins was virtually unstoppable on a different level. Ellis can't be really blocked either at times, but when healthy/motivated Jenkins did whatever he wanted to to the guys that were blocking him. I still remember that one GIF of him just slapping the guard to the ground with like one arm, he doesn't even show any effort there. For most people it'd be like swatting an arm away from you. When Jenk does it you see a 300 pound lineman flying across the field.

Elite talents are hard to come by. Elite players who can produce at that level for 5 NFL seasons are rarer still. I'd take someone who's going to give us half a decade of elite than a full decade of merely good.

None of that matters, though, since Ellis is nowhere near an elite player. He's good (or more to the point, he's been good as a somewhat reliable backup). Harrison is closer to elite, in that he's at least elite at something.

Harrison has been an elite run stuffer for 2 years, with an uphill being undrafted on a team with 3 first round and 1 3rd round picks on what is mostly a 3-man line. Wilfork has had a career of being an elite run stuffer. I don't think one calls them good by averaging their pass rushing talent. Particularly when that's not what they're typically asked to do. Harrison wouldn't be an elite pass rusher in any situation, but he'd surely be better if they lined him up differently and let two other guys 2-gap instead. But it wouldn't happen because one plays to overall line/team strengths instead of forcing an issue just to get a dedicated run stuffer some sack stats.

I don't think Ellis has the ability or physical potential to be truly elite for 5 years. He's just not that level of a player.

Truth is we should have traded him last season when we had his rights and weren't going to start him anyway. It was discussed here back then. A main (and not unsound) reason against was that we already had 12 picks, but if there was interest it's likely we could have taken a pick a round higher this year instead.

Same here. Snacks is the type of guy teams would draft in the top 10. See Poe, Raji, Wilfork, Tyson Jackson, Dareus, Dorsey, guys like that. They're not gonna get any better than Snacks is right now. So why risk drafting a bust in the top 10 somewhere when you can get a stud at 25 years old who is already proven, for just a 2nd round pick, a late 2nd round pick at that. Don't get it.

I agree. To me, run stuffing NT's are the 3rd most valuable players on defense (minimum) behind a pass rushing DE/OLB and shut down CB. I don't think they get enough respect.

I just don't get it!

A second round pick is gold my friend. And that pick comes ONLY if the Jets don't match the offer. It's not like we would be losing Joe Klecko in his prime. The guy is a two down player.

You rather get 10 consistent, good years out of Snacks or potentially 5 elite years out of Ellis?

Ellis hasn't shown even a glimpse of ELITE talent. He is a below average motor guy who is happy being in the NFL and collecting a paycheck. I think Snacks upside is much higher and I think the Jets will resign him. Quality depth is always coveted.

Even more reason. Bottomline is that we cant pay all of These guys. Some may think that I dont like Wilkerson, I really like him, but I'd rather have Richardson Long term. This is why im not hot about the FO not giving him a contract. If we do we'll probably not be able to afford Richardson in 2 years. If TJ Barnes is flashing and Kendrick can maintain his dominance in situation running Plays then we can afford to lose such a good Talent in Snacks. You never want guys like that to go, but guys want to get paid.

Not sure how the cap would have been affected but they really should have locked u Mo a while ago.  The $$ spent on free agency and the contracts many defensive players received will only make Mo's money go up.  I agree that Sheldon is the better of the two and should be the higher priority but I would still like to keep both.  I have  feeling Mo will have a big year because of Bowles style of defense and of course our improved secondary. 

A second round pick is gold my friend. And that pick comes ONLY if the Jets don't match the offer. It's not like we would be losing Joe Klecko in his prime. The guy is a two down player.

What good is having a 16mil a year CB if you can't stop the run ?  Why would I ever throw the ball if I can run it down your throat  all the way to the end zone ? 

Pete carroll and the Seahawks found out how that works in the SB .

Nest year at this time when the Jets have the 30th ranked run defense people will be hollering to draft some 1st round mountain of a guy.  You do not let quality starters walk for a 2nd round magic bean.  It's a poor use of resources.  Harrison is still young, has not had massive wear and tear or injury and does his job really well.  If Barnes progresses like they said he was he will replace Ellis as the number 2 guy back there.

Archived