How good is Gordon?

Jetster

I'm not a college football fan but I've been listening to a lot of draftnicks saying this guy is a can't miss stud that runs in the style of Jammal Charles!

I was kind of shocked that the Jets passed on Spiller?

If the Jets traded with Cleveland & ended up with 2 first rounders do you think it's possible Jets are targeting Gordon?

A true stud RB (I like Ivory but I honestly view him as a rotation back because of his bad hands) in this offense now that we have our 2 WRs & TE would be the icing on the cake for me this offseason.

I know that RBs have be devalued but when you get stud it changes everything.

What say yee college football fans?

Gordon has a lot of potential and is the safest pick as far as a RB goes in this draft, he would compliment Ivory well and would probably be a good pick at #20 and beyond. If we made a trade with Cleavland I think it would be a reach to grab the guy with their second pick and it would probably even be a reach there but one that could pay off, with their first pick I think we would go LB/OL/WR depending on who is left on the board. I think Gurley is a better RB though and we might have a shot at him in round 2 with his injury (If he refuses a physical he might slip to round 3).

I think that now a days the running back position is not what it once was. There wasn't one even taken in the 1st round last year. Taking a running back in the 1st round is really risky especially if a team has other holes to fill. Just look at Trent Richardson as one example. Picked in the the 1st and then traded for a 1st and he's unemployed right now at what 24 years old ? Too much of a crap shoot.

I think that now a days the running back position is not what it once was. There wasn't one even taken in the 1st round last year. Taking a running back in the 1st round is really risky especially if a team has other holes to fill. Just look at Trent Richardson as one example. Picked in the the 1st and then traded for a 1st and he's unemployed right now at what 24 years old ? Too much of a crap shoot.

I would only do it if you had 2 firsts.

Gurley would be one of those caution to the wind signings that if it pays off, it pays off really big.

I have a feeling that we're looking hard at Gordon because we have a plan to trade down with another team.  I just cant see us blowing the sixth pick on a RB, especially after the Trent Richardson fiasco just finished with him getting cut the other day.

The Browns are always an option and I'm still not ruling out Philly.  I don't really care what Kelly says, I'm not buying the "Sam Bradford is my guy" spiel.  A little over a month ago, a report came out that teams at the top of the draft preferred Bradford to Mariota and Winston.  After that absolutely BIZARRE press conference all I keep thinking is that he landed Bradford to trade him for Mariota.  Truth be told though, I don't know how I would feel about trading the opportunity to draft a kid like Mariota for Sam Bradford...

I have a feeling that we're looking hard at Gordon because we have a plan to trade down with another team.  I just cant see us blowing the sixth pick on a RB, especially after the Trent Richardson fiasco just finished with him getting cut the other day.

The Browns are always an option and I'm still not ruling out Philly.  I don't really care what Kelly says, I'm not buying the "Sam Bradford is my guy" spiel.  A little over a month ago, a report came out that teams at the top of the draft preferred Bradford to Mariota and Winston.  After that absolutely BIZARRE press conference all I keep thinking is that he landed Bradford to trade him for Mariota.  Truth be told though, I don't know how I would feel about trading the opportunity to draft a kid like Mariota for Sam Bradford...

It still boggles me how the RB position has been devalued like it has. the RB still touches the ball 20 or so time a game min. When was the last time a WR had 20 catches in one game? I get that it's a passing league and all, but it still doesn't compute in my non computer like brain. A stud RB like a Lacey has been for the Pack game change everything.

No one on out team gets me as pumped as when Ivory carries the ball and it takes 4-5 guys to bring him down.

As far as trading for Bradford. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I really like the guy's skill set and think he's a quality QB, but those injuries. Trading for the # 20, next years 1st, Bradford and two 2nd rd picks I'd do it. You'd have to think that if Kelly traded for bradford to complete some sort of handshake deal he has with the Jets, it would mean our staff likes him a whole lot and therefore the value of our #6 may not net that much as I stated above.

It's all so wacka doodle this off season.

Gordon is an elite talent.  I know everyone thinks running backs are a dime a dozen but if we can land Gordon in the 2nd our offense goes from good to potentially great.  This kid is the total package, size, speed, moves etc. Not as powerful as Gurley but is no slouch.  Has decent hands; I hope he there when we pick.  Another weapon for Geno. The way Ivory runs, you know he is probably going to miss a few games and we will need more than B. Powell. 

It still boggles me how the RB position has been devalued like it has. the RB still touches the ball 20 or so time a game min. When was the last time a WR had 20 catches in one game? I get that it's a passing league and all, but it still doesn't compute in my non computer like brain. A stud RB like a Lacey has been for the Pack game change everything.

No one on out team gets me as pumped as when Ivory carries the ball and it takes 4-5 guys to bring him down.

As far as trading for Bradford. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I really like the guy's skill set and think he's a quality QB, but those injuries. Trading for the # 20, next years 1st, Bradford and two 2nd rd picks I'd do it. You'd have to think that if Kelly traded for bradford to complete some sort of handshake deal he has with the Jets, it would mean our staff likes him a whole lot and therefore the value of our #6 may not net that much as I stated above.

It's all so wacka doodle this off season.

It's honestly astounding to me how much the value has gone down.  SO quickly too.  Gordan, to me, is completely worth it talent wise.  However, I wouldn't be ok with him at 6 simply because the way that teams value RB's there is a good chance he's still sitting there for us in the second (I personally doubt it).  The value just wouldn't be there at that spot.  If we're serious about drafting him, which I believe considering this isn't the first report to come out stating that the jets have serious interest in both RB's, then I just have to believe there is a plan in place.

Getting back to Bradford, the injuries scare me, I won't lie.  However he was a 1st overall pick for a reason.  The talent is absolutely there and the kid has unbelievable accuracy.  Our current team, as is, would be the most talented team he's been on since college and the idea of him playing with our weapons, o-line, and this defense backing him up has me salivating.  Think about it, there would be no growing pains like there would be for a rookie and he fits Gailey's system perfectly.  Not to mention you nab the extra picks in the process.  One thing to remember regarding the Eagles and Bradford is if he doesn't start for them, Philly gets their second back...I don't think that was an accidental condition.

That's beyond absurd. Don't look at RB's before round 4??? This is an amazing RB draft, there will be at least 3 that go in the first 2 rounds.

Where did you come up with this strategy?

If anything, it doesn't make sense to draft a RB after round 3 as the rate is high in regards to them being Jags..

I guess. I think the last 10 years have shown a lot of Arian Foster type guys emerging in late rounds. But I'm talking about this year especially. Last year was a WR draft, couple years ago we had a decent QB draft. This year is a RB draft. If you are going to try to find a long term solution, and you belive Ivory is essentially a stop gap, this is the draft where you can find your guy.

Duke Johnson or Jay Ajayi are the guys I like. Duke is an early to mid 2nd rounder. Jay is early to mid 3rd. So we have the firepower to land either one.

I agree with this post but still disagree with the latter.

It's honestly astounding to me how much the value has gone down.  SO quickly too.  Gordan, to me, is completely worth it talent wise.  However, I wouldn't be ok with him at 6 simply because the way that teams value RB's there is a good chance he's still sitting there for us in the second (I personally doubt it).  The value just wouldn't be there at that spot.  If we're serious about drafting him, which I believe considering this isn't the first report to come out stating that the jets have serious interest in both RB's, then I just have to believe there is a plan in place.

Getting back to Bradford, the injuries scare me, I won't lie.  However he was a 1st overall pick for a reason.  The talent is absolutely there and the kid has unbelievable accuracy.  Our current team, as is, would be the most talented team he's been on since college and the idea of him playing with our weapons, o-line, and this defense backing him up has me salivating.  Think about it, there would be no growing pains like there would be for a rookie and he fits Gailey's system perfectly.  Not to mention you nab the extra picks in the process.  One thing to remember regarding the Eagles and Bradford is if he doesn't start for them, Philly gets their second back...I don't think that was an accidental condition.

Well it's certainly very interesting. Imagine if that little agreement for Bradford was with the Jets and the Titans go ahead and trade the pick to the Browns or something for Mariota. Kelly would be sitting on a guy he didn't even want. That would be something.

On the other side of it all, for this new staff to pull off all the FA signings they have and also make three trades for a WR and two QB's in one year would be something to behold. No one could say they're not earnestly trying to improve this roster that's for sure.

It's all going to come down to Bowles having the ability to be a head coach. God I hope this guys has the goods.

Yeah they had us taking a CB before that. They are actually still scrolling it at the bottom of the screen, even after spending 100 million + on defensive backs the last few days.

They are clueless.

Its crazy. The way the NFL has devalued the RB position they would of course have the Jets take a RB that played just half a season this past year with the 6th pick. 

To me, Gurley was that once in a blue moon type talent.

The Barry, Faulk, LT type back that once you get him, he's the face of your franchise for the next 10 years.

The knee injury of course clouds that picture a little bit.

Gordon is good, no doubt. But the upside isnt anywhere near Gurley's.

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini expects New York to target a running back in the first three rounds of the draft.

Cimini believes the Jets will target "a versatile, breakaway back who could help in the passing game." Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon could fit that bill. There is zero chance New York takes him with the No. 6 overall pick, however, and he is unlikely to be available at the top of the second round. Miami RB Duke Johnson would be an interesting fit in OC Chan Gailey's spread offense, and could be available when the Jets pick in the third round.

I don't believe any RB in this draft is worthy of the 6th pick but I would understand if we took 1. None of them have the combination that would necessitate drafting them at 6. None of em  even remotely compare to Marshall Faulk.

I was all over Gurley too..until his knee injury. He didnt let drs look at his knee?? Red flag!

Caveat to that train of thought though ( I think)...lynch had major injury and dropped and look what he's become.

How long does Gurley last in the draft?

The Jets would be insane to take a RB with the 6th pick.  INSANE!  Ivory gets no love here.  Not sure why.  Given a chance to be the primary back and get the lions share of the carries, I think he will flourish.  He runs like a freight train and punishes tacklers.  What's not to like about him, other than the fact he's not a pass catcher?  Thats what Powell is for.

The Jets would be insane to take a RB with the 6th pick.  INSANE!  Ivory gets no love here.  Not sure why.  Given a chance to be the primary back and get the lions share of the carries, I think he will flourish.  He runs like a freight train and punishes tacklers.  What's not to like about him, other than the fact he's not a pass catcher?  Thats what Powell is for.

Who said take a RB at 6? 

Archived