NYCFC Inaugural Season

Morrissey

“It’ll definitely cause an issue, but it’s nothing that we can control, so we can’t worry about it … It’s terrible for a field. Grass, dirt, everything gets messed up,” said Mark Teixeira to Dan Barbarisi. Brendan Ryan told Barbarisi he’s going to change the way he approaches ground balls because of potential bad soccer-related hops. “I’m going to be selling out to go get that ball (and limit the bounces), and I’m going to err on that side much more.”

I was at the game. Got ST in the Mezzanine 1st row by the LF foul pole.

I have always been critical of the MLS, but the notion I can hop on a train to watch Pro soccer 5 stops away that is starting to feature more & more world class players is alluring. The game was entertaining & the crowd was REALLY into it. I highly doubt they sustain 43K per game, one rep told me he expected an avg attendance of 14K.

I hope the team following grows organically - I found too many fans "going crazy" and "loved NYCFC" before they even played the game. Don't know the final product, but I liked watching the team they fielded.

Being a Man City fan since 2009 (Tevez arrival) I don't mind little brother syndrome - it's the friggin' MLS! - and think NYcFC will eventually carve out its own identity due to the fan base and be unique.

Feels cool to be an initial bandwagoneer.

Official attendance was 43,507.CALBTBw_Uk_AEBOY_jpg_large.jpg

If it weren't for the ball boy in the shot, Villa is LITERALLY WALKING ON AIR!

That's a crazy shot of how high he can jump.

I love my view of the field & it's angle and the weather will only get warmer as the season progresses.

Anyone going to the game tomorrow against KC @ 7pm?

Snow in the forecast?

How much did you pay for the ST? I live in stinky Jersey so going to a game is a hassle for me but I would love to catch a game later this year. Big fan of soccer as you can imagine. 

How much did you pay for the ST? I live in stinky Jersey so going to a game is a hassle for me but I would love to catch a game later this year. Big fan of soccer as you can imagine.

16 regular season home games for $464

• 3 weeks later...

The weather has been BRUTALLY cold for the first 2 home games.

The game against KC was pretty frustrating to watch. No Villa, no offensive attack whatsoever. Even the lack of a physical presence at forward was noticeable with Nemec's absence.

The game last Saturday against Philly was also a pretty dreadful eyesore to watch.

This team lost its flashy start to the season and has to play better.

With the warmer weather, should be a good night to watch a match Thursday night against Portland.

Anyone else going to the game tomorrow night?

What a frustrating game. They should have he the victory and they choked a fluke gol in 85th minute. Total Horse$hit. Villa is worth the price of admission but they pulled him after the first half.

#88 POKU the sub for Villa is AWESOME! Ghanian forward who made his presence felt. H e deserves more minutes.

Well, the weather has improved and HOPEFULLY it shouldn't bee to cold or windy tonight, but doubt it.

The past few games have been frustrating to watch, but what do you expect from C-grade pro-soccer?

tonight's match between 2 bottom feeders will definitely help if NYCFC can ACTUALLY CAPITALIZE on the gol opportunities it gets. 

Villa should shine and hopefully someone, ANYONE, can step up and assist him in get the 3 points. 

Anyone going tonight?

It was cold and the game was once again LAME without Villa. Mullins showed some promising flashes and Khiry Shelton IS FOR REAL. He has size and SPEED. it'll be fun to watch him develop before his natural talents get him sent abroad.

This team has a ways to go and will be in the cellar for a while at this rate. June games will be sweet though. Yankee stadium in the summer with 1997 ticket prices to watch a live pro match.

• 2 weeks later...

SadVk3A.jpg

New York City F. C., owned jointly by royalty from the United Arab Emirates and the Yankees, is considering a move to Columbia University’s Baker Athletics Complex, at the northern tip of Manhattan.

The proposal is to build a new, larger stadium amid the crowded complex that could be used by the soccer team and Columbia’s football team.

The move is in an exploratory stage, and there are no commitments on either side. But club executives, who continue to look at other sites, said that if it is feasible and the sides can come to terms, it may be the best solution of all.

www.nytimes.com/2015/04/29/sports/soccer/new-york-city-fc-searching-for-stadium-site-is-considering-columbia-athletic-complex.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

Red = Yankee Stadium

Yellow = Columbia University's Baker Athletics Complex

xENKNtp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Seems like the playoffs are within reach if the scoring spree continues and Pirlo maintains the simple mastery of the ball like he did this past Sunday. Weather was great and the game quite entertaining.

Team is improving its play and is starting to scratch for a post season spot. Pirlo will make all the difference but Montreal could b pumped with the recent acquisition of Drogba. Should be a fun match at the Yankee this afternoon

Man, did they play flat today.

It was a scorcher out, although perfectly scenic day for a match, and the play on the field could have been a result of that. The defensive backfield was shuffled again with a new 4 man lineup and they STILL let in 3 gols.

There were some shots on Pirlo where you could see he expected a foul and none was whistled. MLS is not as soft as Serie A in Italy; he'll have to acclimate or he'll hate playing in this league and jettison after 6 months. I'm not impressed by Lampard.

You would think we'd use the narrower field as a competitive advantage since we have the only non-standard league pitch in the MLS. I'm sure it throws off visiting teams, the Montreal goalie launched it out of bounds on a keeper free kick handing us back possession just outside the box.

Nycfc has to shore up their defense

This is what I find frustrating regarding this team: they have the offensive talent, but their defense is absolute trash. They give up a gol in the first half but then come rumbling back to take a 2-1 lead in the second half thanks to the locomotive Poku.

They are now tied for 6th and within range of the playoffs. They need the 3 points and can't keep letting the defense blow the game for them.

Archived