Chances of Jets at Pats, week 1 Thursday night opener?

jetscrazey

It's tradition for the defending Super Bowl champ to host the opening regular season game on Thursday night.  Here's a quick glance at the Pats 2015 home schedule.

Patriots 2015 Home Opponents
Bills
Dolphins
Jets
Jaguars
Titans
Eagles
Redskins
Steelers

I guess you could argue the Bills have a chance too, with the storylines of getting Rex, McCoy, Harvin.  You might also be able to argue the Eagles with the splash they've made this offseason, moreso if they end up trading for Mariota.

But with Revis coming home and the Jets making a big splash of their own, in addition to the fierce traditional rivalry between the 2 teams, it sure seems like Jets/Pats is the best argument now.  And I'm hoping it happens because as we know, the Pats usually play their worst ball in September, and beating them on their championship banner night would be awesome.

It's tradition for the defending Super Bowl champ to host the opening regular season game on Thursday night.  Here's a quick glance at the Pats 2015 home schedule.

Bills

Dolphins

Jets

Jaguars

Titans

Eagles

Redskins

Steelers

I guess you could argue the Bills have a chance too, with the storylines of getting Rex, McCoy, Harvin.  You might also be able to argue the Eagles with the splash they've made this offseason, moreso if they end up trading for Mariota.

But with Revis coming home and the Jets making a big splash of their own, in addition to the fierce traditional rivalry between the 2 teams, it sure seems like Jets/Pats is the best argument now.  And I'm hoping it happens because as we know, the Pats usually play their worst ball in September, and beating them on their championship banner night would be awesome.

I'm hoping it doesn't happen. I will be doing something else that night and would have to miss the game. That would be absolutely awful. I'm hoping it's somebody like the Steelers, a team with real national draw that the league will choose for this marquis game.

If this happens I will lead the charge of Jets fans north to New England. I don't particularly like going to that stadium but if it is a week 1 opener I kinda feel obligated, lol, set up a basecamp for visiting Jets fans. TailgateJoe will be in the house.

I'm hoping it doesn't happen. I will be doing something else that night and would have to miss the game. That would be absolutely awful. I'm hoping it's somebody like the Steelers, a team with real national draw that the league will choose for this marquis game.

You proposed didn't you? Don't do it dude. It's a trap. Run.

Bills Dolphins Jets Jaguars Titans Eagles Redskins Steelers

Jets were 4-12 last season. I'd say there's roughly a 0% chance.

I give it a little more than 0% chance. looking at the list of pats home games, I just don't see a winner. most of the teams suck, and with the jets/pats latest story line, I think there is a chance

I give it a little more than 0% chance. looking at the list of pats home games, I just don't see a winner. most of the teams suck, and with the jets/pats latest story line, I think there is a chance

Steelers most likely, or maybe the Eagles. Think of the whole country. Do they wanna see Ben Roethlisberger, Chip Kelly and Sam Bradford, or Geno Fitzpatrick?

Coming off a 4-12 season, the Jets are gonna have a lot of 1pm games this year.

It's a Thursday night and a captive audience.  You have the Revis spectacle after tampering charges.  High drama.  Probably the best time to force a Jets game on the public without them turning their TV off.  

while I agree with the above, I think the revis tampering/resigning becomes the controversy that maybe the nfl is looking for for opening day considering the lack luster options. while its certainly not a lock in any stretch of the imagination, I would give it more than 0% chance. but I can definitely see the eagles or pitt, also

Geno Fitzpatrick?

Fitzpatrick, I think, is one of the better qb signings for the jets in recent years. I wanted him last year( and if memory serves me, I believe you were warm to the idea as well). given the jets situation and the talent available, I think they made the right choice with fitz. he seems to have gotten a little better every year since his stint in buffalo. if he can control his favre like tactics, I think he could do well with the jets. maybe a testaverde light. if nothing else, I think he can really push/motivate geno

It's a Thursday night and a captive audience.  You have the Revis spectacle after tampering charges.  High drama.  Probably the best time to force a Jets game on the public without them turning their TV off.  

They will get another Thursday night game vs Pats and Bills.    I say game 1 for Jets is 1p at home vs Bills.

Bills

Dolphins

Jets

Jaguars

Titans

Eagles

Redskins

Steelers

I'm skeptical. The NFL likes to go to the well on playoff re-matches, especially when they are of broader national interest. 

Pats/Jets is a good story, but I think it's easier to sell as a Monday night game in like week 4, than it is for the opening night. Matching up two teams with national fan appeal, who have made headlines, who have marketable QBs... I'm thinking Dallas and Philly.

Dallas has nationwide fans. It's a time-honored NFC East rivalry. Chip Kelly overhauled his team and is likely going to have Marcus Mariotta as a QB. He also has Demarco Murray now as part of that overhaul. The Cowboys broke through last year and finally looked the part. I could see this being the opener.

I'd put us versus the Pats as a contender, but I think at the end of the day, the NFL avoids making the Jets part of the season opener.

If this happens I will lead the charge of Jets fans north to New England. I don't particularly like going to that stadium but if it is a week 1 opener I kinda feel obligated, lol, set up a basecamp for visiting Jets fans. TailgateJoe will be in the house.

Awesome.

Steelers most likely, or maybe the Eagles. Think of the whole country. Do they wanna see Ben Roethlisberger, Chip Kelly and Sam Bradford, or Geno Fitzpatrick?

Agree. Think Eagles-Cowboys Week 1 Sunday night leaves Bills or Steelers for Pats victory celebration on Thurs.  If Steelers, I still think Bills-Jets Week 1 MNF at Metlife would be killer...

The opening game is more of a spectacle for non fans like the SB is. There has never been a team that was a scrub the year before opening the season. It is going to be Pitt,

Pitt, Denver, NE, Indy, and Balt are the AFC draws, Pitt is the only other national team coming in.

I read an article (I forget where) that mentioned this could be the Thursday night opening game.  This game would make the most sense. 

I also at some point see the Jets Bills being a home game prime time as well.  The NFL likes story lines and this would be a story line.  New Jets coach, Revis is back, Cromartie (called Brady an a**hole) is back, etc etc. 

I read an article (I forget where) that mentioned this could be the Thursday night opening game.  This game would make the most sense. 

I also at some point see the Jets Bills being a home game prime time as well.  The NFL likes story lines and this would be a story line.  New Jets coach, Revis is back, Cromartie (called Brady an a**hole) is back, etc etc. 

The nfl does not like story lines where one player calls another player a *hole.

The opening game is more of a spectacle for non fans like the SB is. There has never been a team that was a scrub the year before opening the season. It is going to be Pitt,

Pitt, Denver, NE, Indy, and Balt are the AFC draws, Pitt is the only other national team coming in.

It will be Pitt.  The Pats are sure to get Pitt when the Steeler's star RB is suspended the first two games.  I'm sure Kraft's good buddy Goodell will see to that. 

Good Gosh what a nice home sched for the Pats.  I would think it's the Eagles or Steelers.

IMO, they got jobbed on the schedule. Ideally you would prefer to play your toughest games at home. By playing Jax and Tenn at home that means they get Indy and Houston on the road. Same with the NFC East, they play the Skins and Eagles at home but have to play Dallas and their nemesis, the NYG on the road.

Archived