49ers LB Chris Borland Retiring

Morrissey

BERKELEY, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland, one of the NFL's top rookies last season, told "Outside the Lines" on Monday that he is retiring because of concerns about the long-term effects of repetitive head trauma.

Borland, 24, said he notified the 49ers on Friday. He said he made his decision after consulting with family members, concussion researchers, friends and current and former teammates, and studying what is known about the relationship between football and neurodegenerative disease.

"I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," Borland told "Outside the Lines." "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk."

Continue Reading: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12496480/san-francisco-49ers-linebacker-chris-borland-retires-head-injury-concerns

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12496480/san-francisco-49ers-linebacker-chris-borland-retires-head-injury-concerns

Monday, March 16, 2015

SF's Borland quits over safety issues

By By Mark Fainaru-Wada and Steve Fainaru

ESPN.com

BERKELEY, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland, one of the NFL's top rookies last season, told "Outside the Lines" on Monday that he is retiring because of concerns about the long-term effects of repetitive head trauma.

Borland, 24, said he notified the 49ers on Friday. He said he made his decision after consulting with family members, concussion researchers, friends and current and former teammates, and studying what is known about the relationship between football and neurodegenerative disease.

"I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," Borland told "Outside the Lines." "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk."

Borland becomes the most prominent NFL player to leave the game in his prime because of concerns about brain injuries. More than 70 former players have been diagnosed with progressive neurological disease following their deaths, and numerous studies have shown a connection between the repetitive head trauma associated with football, brain damage and issues such as depression and memory loss.

Chris Borland

Chris Borland prior to the game against the Seattle Seahawks at Levi's Stadium on Nov. 27, 2014.

"I feel largely the same, as sharp as I've ever been, for me it's wanting to be proactive," said Borland. "I'm concerned that if you wait till you have symptoms, it's too late. ... There are a lot of unknowns. I can't claim that X will happen. I just want to live a long healthy life, and I don't want to have any neurological diseases or die younger than I would otherwise."

Borland was expected to be a key part of the 49ers defense this season after the retirement last week of All-Pro linebacker Patrick Willis. Borland replaced Willis, 30, after six games last season; Willis had sustained a toe injury.

Willis' retirement had no role in his decision, Borland said.

Borland said there was no chance he would change his mind. The third-round draft pick who starred at the University of Wisconsin said he has had just two diagnosed concussions: one while playing soccer in the eighth grade, the other playing football as a sophomore in high school.

Borland, who is listed at 5-foot-11, 248 pounds, earned accolades for his aggressiveness and instincts at inside linebacker. He had 107 tackles and a sack in 14 games, eight of them starts. He was the NFC's defensive player of the week for his performance against the New York Giants in Week 11. He led the team with 13 tackles in that game and became the first 49ers rookie linebacker in history with two interceptions in one game. He received one vote for NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

His success last season did not make his decision more difficult, Borland said: "I've thought about what I could accomplish in football, but for me personally, when you read about Mike Webster and Dave Duerson and Ray Easterling, you read all these stories and to be the type of player I want to be in football, I think I'd have to take on some risks that as a person I don't want to take on." Borland was referring to former NFL greats who were diagnosed with a devastating brain disease, Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, or CTE, after their deaths. Duerson and Easterling committed suicide.

Borland said he began to have misgivings during training camp. He said he sustained what he believed to be a concussion stuffing a running play but played through it, in part because he was trying to make the team. "I just thought to myself, 'What am I doing? Is this how I'm going to live my adult life, banging my head, especially with what I've learned and knew about the dangers?'"

He said the issue "gathered steam" as the season progressed. Before the fourth game of the pre-season, at Houston, he wrote a letter to his parents, informing them that he thought that his career in the NFL would be brief because of his concerns about the potential long-term effects of the head injuries.

After the season, Borland said, he consulted with prominent concussion researchers and former players to affirm his decision. He also scheduled baseline tests to monitor his neurological wellbeing going forward "and contribute to the greater research." After thinking through the potential repercussions, Borland said the decision was ultimately "simple."

He said part of the reason he waited until now was because he wanted to inform his family and friends, including a few 49er teammates. He said he also wanted to have time to contact the researchers and study the issue further.

Borland, who earned a bachelor's degree in history at the University of Wisconsin, said he plans to return to school and possibly pursue a career in sports management. He had a four-year contract with the 49ers worth just under $3 million, which included a signing bonus of $617,436.

The decision to retire had nothing to do with the 49ers, Borland said. He said that his feelings toward the team and his teammates marked one of the hardest aspects of the decision.

"It's an incredible organization, and they truly looked out for players' best interests," he said.

Borland is the fourth NFL player age 30 or younger to announce his retirement in the past week. Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Jason Worilds, 27, said he retired "after much thought and consideration" to pursue "other interests." Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker, 26, said he left the game because he no longer had "the burning desire necessary to play the game for a living."

Willis said he retired due to constant pain in his feet, among other reasons. He was placed on the season-ending injured reserve Nov. 11 after getting hurt on Oct. 13.

Borland had a decorated career at Wisconsin, where he was named the Big Ten's defensive player of the year and linebacker of the year as a senior. He was a first-team All-American selection and multiple recipient of All-Big Ten honors.

Wow! This guy had a fascinating year, too. 49er fans were not as mad when Willis retired due to this guy, but they're in a hole now with this guy calling it quits.

What the hell is going on?

Apparently he didn't want to die early or lead a sad life after leaving the game.

Already had ongoing constant pain in his feet and he only played 1 season. We'll never know, but maybe he just saved himself a lifetime of misery over money, and at 24 with his whole life in front of him, he didn't think it was worth the risk. Good for him.

CTE is serious. My mother has symptoms from being in 3 car accidents of various severity including a coma and a concussion. For almost 25 years she showed no ill effects. It catches up with you. The human body is not built for repetitive violent collisions. Especially the brain.

More and more players are making the choice to walk away. The percentage will only grow.

CTE is serious. My mother has symptoms from being in 3 car accidents of various severity including a coma and a concussion. For almost 25 years she showed no ill effects. It catches up with you. The human body is not built for repetitive violent collisions. Especially the brain.

It also is about these players today who are jacked up on steroids and are too quick and strong for their own good.

Wow.  I loved Borland coming out of college.  All the talking heads said his arms were too short or some other such nonsense.  He turned out to be a helluva player.  I guess he's got his priorities in order but for me, I don't understand it.  I played football, was a golden gloves boxer and worked as a bouncer and in doing so, suffered several concussions without any lingering effects.  Tweety bird can't fly to the moon.  The alphabet makes sure of it.  Because the B should be spelled differently.  Chicken pox should come in little cubes that you can make into soup if you don't have high blood pressure.  Besides, I played football and was a boxer and never had any lingering effects.  Borland is a mummy wrapped in Big League Chew.  Sodium.  now that's the real issue.

Somewhere, Peter King leaps up from his La-Z-Boy and rushes to his MacBook to write a weepy post-mortem on Borland's career, not just a little bit bummed that Borland denied him a poignant denoument by not actually being dead.

Silly statement.  No way this would ever happen.  Peter King leaping up from anywhere? Nope, no chance of that happening lol.

Need to do some more research on better helmets since football players today hit with more force and power. You will see more players retire.

They also have absolutely no idea how to tackle anymore. They, especially DBs, tackle with their helmet and collarbone.

Wow, that's surprising, he was due for a huge uptick in his role this year as well.  

It makes me wonder, their new coach seems like one of those hard headed idiots that wants you to headbutt cement walls to show you are a tough guy and man football player types.  Could that be a reason why we see so many of the 49ers retiring because they feel he has no concern for their safety?  He was on the team last year as the DC I believe, so must already know how he is, and maybe he's careless when it comes to these injuries.   

It's honestly a shocking turnaround for the 49ers.  2 years ago, they were the most talented team in the game, and to go from that to this, is pretty bad.  They keep losing guys left and right. 

Meh, I think this guy pulls a Tiki and realizes that life isn't as cool when you're not having 80,000 people scream in ectsasy at the physical marvel that is you.

I'd bash my head against the wall 10 times a day for a few mill so I wouldn't have to go to work anymore.

Can't blame the guy over why he chose to retire, but man the 49ers have had the offseason from hell and it all started with getting rid of the 2nd best coach in their existence IMO.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Apparently he didn't want to die early or lead a sad life after leaving the game.

Already had ongoing constant pain in his feet and he only played 1 season. We'll never know, but maybe he just saved himself a lifetime of misery over money, and at 24 with his whole life in front of him, he didn't think it was worth the risk. Good for him.

I agree. It takes balls to do what he just did. It's just scary because all these young guys are retiring suddenly and it makes me wonder if this trend will continue.

Meh, I think this guy pulls a Tiki and realizes that life isn't as cool when you're not having 80,000 people scream in ectsasy at the physical marvel that is you.

I'd bash my head against the wall 10 times a day for a few mill so I wouldn't have to go to work anymore.

I would say I hope you suffer the same fate that many ex-NFL players have so you could understand what truly poor taste it is to mock CTE... but unfortunately it's too late for you.

You're already brain damaged.

100 tackles in 8 starts? Is that

right?

Reminds me kind of like how David Harris started out in the 3-4, he had like 20 tackle games in his rookie season when he was inserted in the starting lineup after Vilma went down.

I can't help but think Borland is going to regret this decision in about 5 years. The amount of money he could have made, the type of career he would have had, what he could have achieved. He's gonna look back at it for a second and go "damn, I could have made millions! I could have played in the Pro Bowl!". Then it'll hit him again, that he can walk, that he's not brain damaged, that he can enjoy life, be with his family, raise his kids, walk around and do everything he wants to do. It's probably the smartest thing he will ever do so my hat's off to him. There's plenty of ways to earn a living, plenty ways to make even more money than you'd as a football player. Minus all the risks of living the rest of your life in a wheelchair, with constant headaches, not being able to remember who your kids are and so on.

Reminds me kind of like how David Harris started out in the 3-4, he had like 20 tackle games in his rookie season when he was inserted in the starting lineup after Vilma went down.

I can't help but think Borland is going to regret this decision in about 5 years. The amount of money he could have made, the type of career he would have had, what he could have achieved. He's gonna look back at it for a second and go "damn, I could have made millions! I could have played in the Pro Bowl!". Then it'll hit him again, that he can walk, that he's not brain damaged, that he can enjoy life, be with his family, raise his kids, walk around and do everything he wants to do. It's probably the smartest thing he will ever do so my hat's off to him. There's plenty of ways to earn a living, plenty ways to make even more money than you'd as a football player. Minus all the risks of living the rest of your life in a wheelchair, with constant headaches, not being able to remember who your kids are and so on.

Maybe he wont. Maybe his health is more important to him. 

All I can say is THANK GOD WE DIDNT DRAFT HIM!

There were a few posters on after we resigned Harris lamenting the fact we didn't take Borland.

Well David Harris is lining up for the NY Jets in Sept.

Rock on David, Rock on.

Archived