Out With Brees Speculation, In With Phillip Rivers Speculation

The Troll

the jets have $5 million in cap room and need $3 million for the rookies and $5 million for in season flexibility.  the only way to get rivers is to trade wilkerson and harris or wilkerson and marshall 

and he's a choker

no thanks

the "only way"?  That's just so wrong, I don't know where to begin.  That would be one way, but not the 'only' way.  With a trade for Rivers, the Jets and Rivers obviously change the contract, extending it and turning some of this year's salary into bonus and spread the hit out over the next few years.  It could be done easily if they wanted to.  Not sure it's the smartest thing to do, but it certainly is possible without trading Wilk or the others you claim is the 'only' way. Harris isn't going anywhere.  They elected to overpay by about 3 million or so over the next two years so that Harris could stay and provide the leadership the defense needs until such time as the Jets draft his successor or acquire one in FA next year.  

Also, I agree that Rivers is a big time choke artist. But how much Geno or Fitz can we endure?  It would be nice to have a capable QB for a change.   

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the jets have $5 million in cap room and need $3 million for the rookies and $5 million for in season flexibility.  the only way to get rivers is to trade wilkerson and harris or wilkerson and marshall 

and he's a choker

no thanks

I thought it was more like 20 to 25.  Am I wrong?

While Rivers would be the best QB we've had since Namath.  No thanks.  He's a colossal jerk and he's overrated.

For as good as Rivers has been over the years, he's only won more than 10 games three times.  And 2 of those years were during LT's pure domination of the league when he was running wild scoring over 50 TD's in 2 seasons.

Rivers is good.  He's a stat whore.  Not someone I trust to win big games.  Just look at this postseason history vs. the Jets. 

The only?  Holy sh*t, you're such a disgusting homer,  you've completely lost your marbles. 

Who plays D in this conference?  Miami has some some hype and Buffalo of course was solid under Schwartz.  The Ravens and Steelers aren't as scary as they used to be.  Anyone in the AFC South (the fighting JJ Watts?) and West (Chiefs)? 

If we can't hang our hats on defense with the coaching hire and signings we just made, we can't hang our hats on anything.  Our biggest disadvantage has always been offensively, having to try to outscore Peyton, Brady, Big Ben, Rivers, etc.

Who plays D in this conference?  Miami has some some hype and Buffalo of course was solid under Schwartz.  The Ravens and Steelers aren't as scary as they used to be.  Anyone in the AFC South (the fighting JJ Watts?) and West (Chiefs)? 

If we can't hang our hats on defense with the coaching hire and signings we just made, we can't hang our hats on anything.  Our biggest disadvantage has always been offensively, having to try to outscore Peyton, Brady, Big Ben, Rivers, etc.

From a "points allowed" perspective, which everyone around here says is the only stat the matters - the Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, Texans, Browns and Patriots were all top 10.

You're a disgusting homer.  The "only" defense in the AFC.  My god man.

From a "points allowed" perspective, which everyone around here says is the only stat the matters - the Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, Texans, Browns and Patriots were all top 10.

You're a disgusting homer.  The "only" defense in the AFC.  My god man.

I said they might be the only "fearsome" D, and I'm not basing it on last year's performance.  Didn't the Chiefs just lose some people?  The Patriots lost Revis.  The Ravens are in a pretty bad cap situation due to the Flacco deal and having to surrender $9.5M in cap space over the Rice deal. 

So that leaves the Bills, Texans, and Browns amongst that group.  And let's add the Dolphins now that they added Suh.  After the additions and coaching hires we've made, I'd say we belong in that group, no?  And are any of those 3 defenses particularly scary?  None of them made the playoffs last year.  The AFC is more offense-driven than it's been in a long time.

Rivers is a great player so **** yes.

I don't see Rivers as being a 'great QB'. Yeah, he puts up some numbers in the regular season, but even with standout's at the talent positions he has won how many playoff games? Two I think. He is NOT the guy to put the Jets over the top. Jets will draft Mariota or Petty in this years draft and groom him for a season under Smith / Fitzpatrick. Don't want what someone else has had and don't want no more. Kind of like an old girlfriend.

Phillip River chooses not to extend contract with Chargers and will test open market. Just broke on the Herd. Thoughts????

this might be a chance to grab an elite QB in his prime.

I'd be all over this. Rivers is a great QB.

I said they might be the only "fearsome" D, and I'm not basing it on last year's performance.  Didn't the Chiefs just lose some people?  The Patriots lost Revis.  The Ravens are in a pretty bad cap situation due to the Flacco deal and having to surrender $9.5M in cap space over the Rice deal. 

So that leaves the Bills, Texans, and Browns amongst that group.  And let's add the Dolphins now that they added Suh.  After the additions and coaching hires we've made, I'd say we belong in that group, no?  And are any of those 3 defenses particularly scary?  None of them made the playoffs last year.  The AFC is more offense-driven than it's been in a long time.

You said "only", you disgusting pig.

So if Rivers is a choker what does that make Mark Sanchez? A winner?

This is what I hate about sports fans pigeon-holing players as chokers. Eventually the Peyton Mannings and Arods are going to win in the clutch even if they failed in the past. It's law of averages.

the law of averages is a misrepresentation of the law of large numbers

Past occurences do not effect present probability

If for example the probability of any one team to win the superbowl is 3%, past failures will not change the probability

rivers is an above average qb so lets say he has a 10% chance to win it all.

All the law says is that at some huge number he might realize that probability, it may take ten tries it may take a million

I think your right though

A clutch player could just be realizing his probability in fewer chances and a choker may not based on pure chance

I'd prefer you to Geno

ya don't get the "i prefer this guy over that guy." I prefer a REAL competition for once with best guy winning. why go in with a preference? i predict fitz will crush geno in said competition but if I'm wrong and geno is better, great.

Lol at how quickly we destroyed our cap. Two years to fix. One week to max out.

Go take a nap.

Are you being willfully ignorant of the 89% Cap Floor issue or do you really not know it's a thing? 

The Mariota workout combined with Rivers refusing to even talk contract extension with the Chargers. He wants no part of LA.

Yeah, but all the talk is about next year, they can always franchise him so no need to worry about losing him for nothing. If they draft Mariota, I'd have to imagine they want Rivers around for a year

Archived