Milliner to be traded?

DaBallhawk

Milliner stepped up his play tremendously when Rex brought in Ed Reed.  Not sure if Reed helped coach the kid up or just having some talent out there aided him.  I'd imagine, with Cro and Revis on the squad, Milliner can improve and learn a lot from them.  But whatever they do, let's not have Cro teach Milliner how not to tackle.  LOL.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to remember the new regime has no loyalty to him-still can not see the team giving up on him at this stage

$127M in contracts to free agent CBs tells us all we need to know about the new regime's ties to Dee Milliner, IMHO.

A third rounder!? I'd trade him for a third rounder in a millisecond.

Corner is a tough position for any new player, but milliner is not going to come back as a better player from injury and he's not going to come back from sucking as a CB.

Deal him!!

The quote from The Daily News in the OP...

However, the Jets have told interested teams that Milliner isn’t available at a drastically discounted price . . . yet, according to sources.

... suggests that the Jets aren't fielding offers in the second/third round range. Probably getting late round, conditional 2016 pick type offers. That's why he's not getting moved.

Lmaoo just stop no one is giving a 2nd and 3rd rd pick for him . Milliner hasn't been developed properly and has extensive injury history dating back to college .

U will probably if lucking get a conditional 4th but more than likely 5th-7th . Which isn't a gain for the jets . So thee is no point in trading . Just keep him and let him get healthy and actually learn from people who has played the position at a high level as compared to him having to be the guy trying to teach himself the ways of the NFL .

$127M in contracts to free agent CBs tells us all we need to know about the new regime's ties to Dee Milliner, IMHO.

The quote from The Daily News in the OP...

... suggests that the Jets aren't fielding offers in the second/third round range. Probably getting late round, conditional 2016 pick type offers. That's why he's not getting moved.

Bingo.

No one signs 3 CBs to the contracts we just did and then forks over a 2nd/3rd on another CB (with only 2 years on his contract and with his injury history).

Failing to accept that trade is the same as drafting him in the 2nd/3rd round this year to be #4 on the CB depth chart at best, while already at least somewhat injured no less.

Cro will likely still have half his contract guaranteed 2 years from now ($4M). Therefore they would eat all that to cut him. He'd have to be retired or an outright liability on the field to do that. That's how nutty this contract was.

Revis isn't holding out in 2 years. He's due $15M. He'd have to think someone else would offer him $20M (at age 32) to do that. Players hold out in down years of their contracts, not when they're due $15M in new money.

If Milliner can somehow garner a 2nd rounder (anywhere in the round) he has to be moved. This was done as soon as Cromartie finished signing his mark on the contract. You don't hold onto a 2nd/3rd rounder to be the team's #4 corner right after dishing out multi-year guaranteed deals to three others. And #4 presumes he'll even end up ahead of McDougle. 

Pretend we didn't have him on the roster already, and we had a pair of 2nd rounders instead of only 1. Keep in mind that gives us 6 picks total, but 4 of them are in the top 70.

• No change with our QB situation (32-33 year old Fitz on a 1-year deal, Geno Smith, and friggin' Simms). As likely as not, both of the top 2 QBs will be gone by our pick at #6 and the next prospect is supposedly a steep drop after that.
  • Holes at OLB on both sides
  • An aging LT who's been getting worse for a couple of years already and who carries $14M cap hits next year and the year after.
  • Don't exactly have studs with known/secure futures at LG or RT either.

Knowing all that, you're telling me that today you'd advocate trading a late 2nd rounder (or even a 3rd rounder) for Milliner, coming off a ruptured Achilles, to be an injury-prone backup for 2 seasons, after which time he'll be a free agent anyway? Because failing to move him for such a pick is the same thing.

If anyone would offer up even a late 2nd for him, I 100% guarantee you it won't be a team that just signed expensive veteran contracts to 4 DBs (and bring back a healthy 1st rounder from the prior season). You have to put it out of your mind that we drafted him #9 in the country. The time to get emotional about that is before signing Cromartie. After that, Milliner is an extra piece no matter what fluff or secret sauce people speak of regarding how many DBs Bowles likes to trot out in his base defense.

Milliner is very much in play right now, unless we just get dogsh*t offers for him. Certainly the highest bidder offering at least a mid-3rd should get him, if we get an offer that high.

We'd be lucky to get a 6th rounder for a injury riddled CB who was probably one of the worst corners I've ever seen that first half of his rookie season.  His footwork was atrocious.  How on earth a CB who could get spun around so easily went 9th overall is beyond me...so with that, you're scenario aint happening because you're getting dog sh*t offers.

That said, Cro sucks and if we're leaning on him in his mid 30's, than the Jets are ****ed.  

I think the Jets can't give up on Milliner just yet.  He'll get one last chance to prove his worth when he's healthy.  Doesn't make sense to trade him at pennies on the dollar when he's not 100% healthy. 

Sure it does, if someone will offer a high enough pick. We're not moving him for a late rounder; he's worth that as a backup.

But he won't get that chance unless someone else gets injured and he stays healthy and he performs well on top of that. 

The team is better off taking a 2nd-3rd (if we can even get that) and drafting an extra QB than using it on an extra CB.

Sure it does, if someone will offer a high enough pick. We're not moving him for a late rounder; he's worth that as a backup.

But he won't get that chance unless someone else gets injured and he stays healthy and he performs well on top of that.

The team is better off taking a 2nd-3rd (if we can even get that) and drafting an extra QB than using it on an extra CB.

Then if Cro or Revis goes down which is a legit concern then what ?

And again no one is giving up a 2nd or 3rd milliner till he proves he is worth that .

We'd be lucky to get a 6th rounder for a injury riddled CB who was probably one of the worst corners I've ever seen that first half of his rookie season.  His footwork was atrocious.  How on earth a CB who could get spun around so easily went 9th overall is beyond me...so with that, you're scenario aint happening because you're getting dog sh*t offers.

That said, Cro sucks and if we're leaning on him in his mid 30's, than the Jets are ****ed.  

If the only offer we get is a 6th then we keep him.

Your assessment notwithstanding, history has shown there will always be some team willing to give up something for a former top 10 pick entering his 3rd season if he's healthy (passes a physical) and if he doesn't have off-field issues (Milliner has none).  That he's got so much talent all he needs is their brilliant coaching. Especially given the economics of the CB position nowadays.

It's obvious Jets made the decision to move on from Milliner when they signed Cromartie to that kookie multi-year deal. 

If the only offer we get is a 6th then we keep him.

Your assessment notwithstanding, history has shown there will always be some team willing to give up something for a former top 10 pick entering his 3rd season if he's healthy (passes a physical) and if he doesn't have off-field issues (Milliner has none).  That he's got so much talent all he needs is their brilliant coaching. Especially given the economics of the CB position nowadays.

It's obvious Jets made the decision to move on from Milliner when they signed Cromartie to that kookie multi-year deal. 

Is it obvious?  I wouldnt say that yet.  We dont really know too much about the new regime other than Mac likes to spend a ton of money on the secondary and slow MLB's.

Then if Cro or Revis goes down which is a legit concern then what ?

And again no one is giving up a 2nd or 3rd milliner till he proves he is worth that .

He didn't prove he was worth the #9 overall pick either when we took him.

Buster Skrine just got a contract for over $6M/year. I think there is a good chance a team risks that much for a chance at top 10 talent for cheap.

Milliner will not prove he's worth anything over the next year or two. Not on the Jets, anyway. He will be 4th on the pecking order IF he outplays McDougle, which itself isn't even a guaranteed lock here in March.

There is absolutely no point in trading Milliner for anything less than a 3rd round pick. Maybe a 4th. MAYBE. I wouldn't do it but I don't know how the FO feels about him, what they know about his recovery etc. but he just has too much potential to be traded for anything less than a 3rd or 4th round pick. With a late round pick we're looking at a special teams kind of guy who might not even make the team. There's no upside there. Either Milliner gets healthy and becomes a good starting corner or he just flat out stays injury prone a la Joe McKnight and you just get rid of him at some point in about 2 years. Unless like I said you get a 2nd or 3rd round pick from somebody, it'd be worth it.

Cro is shot and will be cut in 2 years.  Revis will hold out in 2 years.  Milliner is more likely to be here than either. 

I am not a fan of Cro's contract - pending a revised report on the guaranteed money but he was much better in 2014 than he was in 2013 so regardless of the money, I'm not sure how you make the case that he is shot.

Is it obvious?  I wouldnt say that yet.  We dont really know too much about the new regime other than Mac likes to spend a ton of money on the secondary and slow MLB's.

Yes it is obvious. The team has moved on from him mentally. They are valuing him as a backup. If they saw him as a starter they wouldn't sign 2 more starters to $16M and $8M per season, plus a $6-7M/year nickel back.

That could change if all of the following happen:

1. He beats out McDougle in the pecking order

2. Revis or Cro gets injured

3. Milliner steps in and doesn't get injured again

4. Milliner plays really, really well.

If they can get a 3rd, he's gone (certainly if they can get more than that, if a desperate team is willing to take a chance on a 2013 top 10 pick, which could happen). 4th rounder I think is gray area for Mac. 5th or lower they're keeping him. That's my opinion.

The problem is that picking up those 3 FA corners means he isn't going to play much. So even if healthy, another year as a backup isn't going to increase his trade value. If McDougle outplays him, his value will plummet to nothing.  

If we can possibly get a 2nd/3rd, with the Jets roster as it stands, I'd rather use that pick on an OLB, a tackle, or better still draft another QB if we were on the fence between which of 2 guys to take (take them both).

More valuable to try to find a starter than unreliable CB depth for the next 2 seasons (after which he hits FA anyway).

The way they went after THREE expensive corners says plenty. He has less value to us right now than he would to 2 dozen other teams. What they'd be willing to give up for him is another thing, but if he's worth only a 3rd rounder to a team who needs a corner, he isn't worth a 3rd to a team that already has 3 locked in (plus last season's 3rd round pick plus whoever else returns from '14). 

If we could undo the Cromartie contract, I would, and let Milliner and McDougle and someone else battle it out. We have enough depth in the defensive backfield that we could withstand a so-so season from the weakest link. That's what Revis is supposed to buy us; that he NEVER needs safety help. Ditto with a $6-7M corner to cover the slot. But unfortunately, what's done is done.

Anyone who wants Milliner for a 3rd gets him IMO. With any luck there will be a little bidding war. Two weeks ago, NO ONE thought Bradford would be valued as he is either. There wasn't even a consensus for the QB-less Jets to take a shot on him as a FA that would cost NO draft pick (never mind a #1). 

Yes it is obvious. The team has moved on from him mentally. They are valuing him as a backup. If they saw him as a starter they wouldn't sign 2 more starters to $16M and $8M per season, plus a $6-7M/year nickel back.

That could change if all of the following happen:

1. He beats out McDougle in the pecking order

2. Revis or Cro gets injured

3. Milliner steps in and doesn't get injured again

4. Milliner plays really, really well.

If they can get a 3rd, he's gone (certainly if they can get more than that, if a desperate team is willing to take a chance on a 2013 top 10 pick, which could happen). 4th rounder I think is gray area for Mac. 5th or lower they're keeping him. That's my opinion.

It's not obvious they've "moved on" as you say.  They clearly arent depending on him to be the starter, which is smart, but acting like you know they think he's done or they want to trade him or whatever is pure speculation.  You, me, we...dont know sh*t.  

I dont think there is a market period, for a an injury riddled sh*tty CB who is coming off an achilles tear. 

It's not obvious they've "moved on" as you say.  They clearly arent depending on him to be the starter, which is smart, but acting like you know they think he's done or they want to trade him or whatever is pure speculation.  You, me, we...dont know sh*t.  

I dont think there is a market period, for a an injury riddled sh*tty CB who is coming off an achilles tear. 

Didn't think there was a 1st round market for Bradford either, with a 1 year $13M contract no less.

Milliner is at least cheap ($) for 2 years in a wacky CB market.

Not saying he would fetch a 2/3, but it could happen.

Milliner wasnt mentally ready for the NFL. He came on strong at the end of his rookie year then slacked off in the offseason....sucked last year then got hurt again.

He didn't suck last year, he was hurt during training camp, and was never healthy when he did eventually get back on the field, only  to get hurt again with the Achilles injury.

It's too early to give up on Milliner.

He didn't suck last year, he was hurt during training camp, and was never healthy when he did eventually get back on the field, only to get hurt again with the Achilles injury.

It's too early to give up on Milliner.

Good... If teams feel the same way, maybe they'll give us a 3rd.

Didn't think there was a 1st round market for Bradford either, with a 1 year $13M contract no less.

Milliner is at least cheap ($) for 2 years in a wacky CB market.

Not saying he would fetch a 2/3, but it could happen.

Yeah the only difference is Bradford at least has shown he has potential when healthy and he's a QB.  Not so much for Milliner.

You're right though.  You never know.  But I'd be shocked if it happened, dont think it will, they'd the Jets would get anything higher than a 5th (which I personally wouldnt do).

Tough call. If Milliner somehow stays healthy he is going to be a good player and make the jets look stupid for trading him for a 7th rd pick.

Somehow is a mighty big statement considering the guy has been nothing BUT injured and ineffective as a Jet. I would trade him for a box of Cracker Jack. That's how much impact this bust has had.

If Milliner can somehow garner a 2nd rounder (anywhere in the round) he has to be moved. 

If we can find anyone stupid enough to give us a second round pick for this scrub, who in the small amount of time he's been able to stay on the field still routinely bites on the play fake and makes Kyle Wilson look viable, we should see if they have a starting QB they'd want to deal as well.  

He is not going anywhere.  His cap hit would be over $3 million dollars.  It also makes no sense to trade him because you won't get much for him coming off a serious injury like an achilles.  Better to let him take his time and continue to rehab, watch and learn from an all pro (in terms of film study, preparation etc.) and be in position to compete for a job (Cros spot) a year from now.  

Archived