Is Bowles a Safe Bet to Fix Pryor?

JetNation

It all depends on how you interpret PFF ratings. Some people say that PFF ratings are useless but I believe that's based on the fact that a lot of folks like the idea of sounding like an expert on a player after watching them make a few plays on sportscenter and reading a scouting report. I always say I'm not 100% sold on PFF, but after watching film on a few specific players over the past few weeks and then looking at their PFF rating, they're clearly taking the time to watch individuals perform.

I mentioned Skrine earlier this week because I watched him for every snap in two games...one against Atlanta and one against Tenn. Against Atlanta, he played great. Matching up against White and Jones, he broke up at least one pass, was solid in wrapping up after the catch and preventing YAC, was only beaten badly one time and Matt Ryan got rid of the ball under pressure before seeing Skrine got smoked deep.

Against Tennessee he was terrible. Beaten for two long touchdowns and bit hard on a pump fake that would have been a third TD if the pass hadn't bee overthrown. When I took what I'd seen and compared it to PFF, Atlanta was rated as one of his best games of the season, and Tennessee was one of his worst. I find it hard to believe that would be a coincidence.

I'll explain this as best I can as a guy who uses PFF but doesn't know it inside and out.

They start their ratings at "0" with that being an average score. Since a score of anywhere from -1.0-+1.0 doesn't deviate far from the starting point, they consider than to be an "average" grade. Since ratings are added up over the course of a season, you can have a player who rates on the positive side of zero enough times that his score at the end of the season could be a solid score like Pryors +3.3, which essentially means that with enough "average" scores, you can compile an "above average" grade.

That's why I also like to look at the number of positive grades vs. the number of negative grades. If you have a D-lineman who dominates a scrub O-lineman and gets himself a +7.5, that can wipe out several poor/average performances against upper echelon guys where the same guy is earning average or below average grades.

Pryor earned three positive grades and only one negative all season. Of his positives, one was against the Raiders with a rookie QB, and the other was against the Titans who were horrible. The third was good to see because it was against New England. His negative was -2.7 against the Lions in a game where he was pulled after just 26 snaps.

Again, people say that PFF ratings are meaningless and they have no idea what they're looking at. If that's the case, what an amazing coincidence it is that the first time Pryor was pulled by the coaching staff was when he was playing his worst rated game of the season. Full disclosure, it's possible he was hurt and I didn't see it. I missed the first half of that game because I was at Fenway for Jeter's last game. Went across the street to watch the second half once Jeter was pulled.

So with twelve "average" grades as a rookie, I think Pryor was better than a lot of people give him credit for, and that's definitely a product of the number of big plays defenses made against the Jets because of his poor tackling. Those things get magnified when the team is losing and he's not making all the big hits and forced fumbles we were expecting.

BTW...Bucannon had seven negative grades, eight average and one positive.

Wow that was a damn good post .Facts ,stats backing up your opinion .

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“@DarrylSlater: Todd Bowles said Marcus Gilchrist will help Jets in coverage so that Calvin Pryor can play a strong safety role.”

“@domcosentino: Bowles on Calvin Pryor: ”I think he’s going to be a good football player.“ Says he can hits, not type who takes on blocks.”

“@domcosentino: Bowles praised Marcus Gilchrist’s versatility and cover skills. Said Gilchrist will play FS, Calvin Pryor will play SS.”

So much for Bowles having no ties to Pryor . Sounds like Pryor is very much apart of his plans .

I wouldn't be shocked if you see very little of Pryor next couple of years. Rex liked him because he fits the 46 Bear as a safety u can stick in the box.

Bowles uses a lot more nickel and dime which doesn't suit Pryor.

As far as Bowles paying lip service to Pryor of course he's going to say that

I wouldn't be shocked if you see very little of Pryor next couple of years. Rex liked him because he fits the 46 Bear as a safety u can stick in the box.

Bowles uses a lot more nickel and dime which doesn't suit Pryor.

As far as Bowles paying lip service to Pryor of course he's going to say that

Bowles pretty much said he is his Starting SS. Is he suppose to do that too ? Cause that's a lot different that players competing for a job .

And when Antonio Allen outplays him in camp and preseason he will same the exact opposite.

Antonio Allen is not that good man . Dude was so bad last year he got benched at CB and Safety . Also if his strength is suppose to be a Cover guy . How Is he a Threat Pryor Position ?

He would be more of a threat to the FS and we all know Who is starting there . Right now he is fighting for the 2 backup spots with Miles and Jerrett who both played better than Allen last year .

Antonio Allen is not that good man . Dude was so bad last year he got benched at CB and Safety . Also if his strength is suppose to be a Cover guy . How Is he a Threat Pryor Position ?

He would be more of a threat to the FS and we all know Who is starting there . Right now he is fighting for the 2 backup spots with Miles and Jerrett who both played better than Allen last year .

Allen did a good job covering the TE, which is probably why Rex experimented with him at CB when the team found itself desperate at the position. He even briefly surprised there before he was exposed. Rex's complicated schemes probably filled his head with too much information at two positions, leading to his difficulties. I would not be surprised to see him rebound this year.

Allen did a good job covering the TE, which is probably why Rex experimented with him at CB when the team found itself desperate at the position. He even briefly surprised there before he was exposed. Rex's complicated schemes probably filled his head with too much information at two positions, leading to his difficulties. I would not be surprised to see him rebound this year.

He is gonna have too if wants to make the rosters . We are suddenly deep at safety .

The thing I see a bunch on the board is the confusion of free and strong safety.  I think they are much more interchangeable on most teams now.  People think of the free safety as the cover safety, but the strong safety is lining up over the TE and usually ends up covering him if they are man, or if not is at least in the TEs primary zone.  The free safety is more the centerfielder roaming around.  I think more of rangy than cover when I think of FS.  I think most teams swap them around anyway.

Archived