Top receivers thread...

Beerfish

We talked about OLBS/Pass rushers in another thread.  How would you'all rank the WR's?

White and Cooper seem to be the popular 1 and 2 depending on who you talk to.

How far away are Parker and Strong from those top two?  Has DG Beckham slipped into that grouping?

What about the next tier after that.  Devin Smith?  Coates?  Agholor?  Dorsett?

What say you all?

I heard Devin Funchess ran a 4.49 or something at his pro day after running 4.7 at the combine.  He might be a steal in the 2nd or 3rd round.  Guy looks like a Marshall clone... If in fact he did run a 4.49 or does so in private work outs, he will join that next tier along with Breshard Perriman, Coates etc. 

Regarding the top group, I am still trying to figure out what is separating Parker from White and Cooper.  All I can imagine is him missing part of the season with injury.   I personally think that Parker, White, Cooper and possibly DGB will be every bit as good as the best receivers from last year.   

Quick thoughts on the guys you mentioned:

Cooper has elite quickness, excellent speed, and reliable hands. He's a young guy who's strong but still growing into his body and improving when it comes to catching contested balls. Because of that elite quickness he didn't have to make a ton of contested catches in college anyway. Faster than he looks because he's so precise in his movements. Right now not really a guy you throw the ball up to right now and go get it but he's pretty polished. He'd be able to get open and make plays right away for the Jets with Marshall and Decker taking pressure off of him.

White is less polished but can do pretty much everything you look for in a receiver. Doesn't have Cooper's quickness and the play speed is probably similar, though White tested out faster. Still he's good after the catch and can make guys miss a little bit, plus he's a bit of a better leaper and looks pretty good in jump ball situations. Could profile as an elite #1 and was absolutely dominant in college this year, but as a one year production guy and with a little less polish I don't think he's as much of an immediate impact guy. Maybe there's more upside due to the height/demonstrated ability to catch jump balls, but it kind of depends where you think Cooper's at in terms of physical growth because he is definitely younger. Has pretty much everything you look for, though.

Parker's leaner and had some injury issues but has solid height and good speed for his size, I thought pretty quick feet, and really good ability in contested situations particularly on back shoulder throws and mostly due to his length but also pretty good ball skills. Did some nice things after the catch in space as well. Hugely productive in the games he played this season after coming back from injury. Needs a little polishing as a route runner but I think a lot of upside.

Strong's just kind of a physical freak, doesn't play as fast as he ran at the combine but he plays very strong and did a good job making contested catches. Probably farther away than the other three but if he goes to the right team and develops he could be more productive than some of the guys drafted ahead of him IMO.

Green-Beckham is a physical freak but he's been in trouble consistently and that's a major question mark. Otherwise he'd go much higher, and because the big issue with him is off the field stuff it's really hard to tell where he'll go because that hinges a lot on interviews - and it only takes one team to fall in love with a guy too. Also wasn't consistently impacting games as much as his talent would have you expect so there's some rawness, but he's flashed the ability to do a lot of stuff on the field.

Smith I haven't watched a ton of but is basically viewed to be a one trick pony as a deep threat right now. Faster on the field than he timed.

Coates has everything you want physically but terribly inconsistent hands (and that's probably being generous). For that alone I'd pass.

Agholor I haven't watched a lot of either but physically he profiles pretty similarly to a Jeremy Maclin type. Was an athlete coming out of HS I believe but took to playing WR pretty quickly for the Trojans and has been very productive - not sure what that means in terms of his technical development.

Dorsett can fly and I thought had pretty good hands the little bit that I watched him so the thought is there's some upside (particularly since he didn't have tremendous QB play at Miami).

Like I said before there are 7 first round grade receivers with only talent we talking about, my top 7 is Green-Beckham, Strong, Parker. Smith, White, Lockett and Cooper. Hardy just misses first round. You can't take Green-Beckham real early because of his off field issues. Funchess should go to Tight End like I said for months. He does not have wide receiver quickness or lateral speed.

Archived