Education in NY

Tezza

Asking this question on behalf of someone

They are looking to go to one of the CUNY community colleges in NYC and is from another state. She would be studying an associates degree in business.

So a few questions, I obviously understand NYC is a very competitive market for employment but how likely are you to find work in NYC with a associates degree. I don't mean work that most can get with just a high school GED ..fast food, retail etc.

So does holding an associates degree hold good value when getting a job or is the market dominated by people with bachelors/masters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My advice?  Stay away from New York.  There are better job markets throughout the country. 

Lots of big corporations are relocating to the Southwest cities like Memphis, TN and states like South Carolina because of cheaper overhead and tax breaks.  New York City is a terrible job market and because of the plethora of undergraduate colleges, law schools, business schools and medical schools there's a huge unemployed pool of people who live in the area who have Masters equivalent.

I got out of New York a few years ago and have worked in different areas of the country making way better money than what I was getting in NY and have loved it. Plus I've gotten to see other parts of the country some of which I actually prefer to the NY-area now.

As far as associates goes its fine but definitely try to get a 4-year degree.

My advice? Stay away from New York. There are better job markets throughout the country.

Lots of big corporations are relocating to the Southwest cities like Memphis, TN and states like South Carolina because of cheaper overhead and tax breaks. New York City is a terrible job market and because of the plethora of undergraduate colleges, law schools, business schools and medical schools there's a huge unemployed pool of people who live in the area who have Masters equivalent.

I got out of New York a few years ago and have worked in different areas of the country making way better money than what I was getting in NY and have loved it. Plus I've gotten to see other parts of the country some of which I actually prefer to the NY-area now.

As far as associates goes its fine but definitely try to get a 4-year degree.

Thanks a lot for the advice I'll definitely pass it on.

If anyone has any further advice it would be much appreciated

Asking this question on behalf of someone

They are looking to go to one of the CUNY community colleges in NYC and is from another state. She would be studying an associates degree in business.

So a few questions, I obviously understand NYC is a very competitive market for employment but how likely are you to find work in NYC with a associates degree. I don't mean work that most can get with just a high school GED ..fast food, retail etc.

So does holding an associates degree hold good value when getting a job or is the market dominated by people with bachelors/masters?

Baruch, Hunter and Brooklyn College are very good CUNY schools, but among them Baruch is really the one that has biz programs. Associate degree is not going to get you far except if you go into a field like nursing or educational para. 

Baruch, Hunter and Brooklyn College are very good CUNY schools, but among them Baruch is really the one that has biz programs. Associate degree is not going to get you far except if you go into a field like nursing or educational para.

No doubt that Baruch has the best business programs. Anything criminal justice related John Jay is the obvious place to go.

Stay as far from New York as possible.

An Assoc. degree is almost completely worthless for decent employment.

Bachelors bare minimum, Masters preferred, is what you'll see as a baseline for any decently paying job, certainly for any job in a place like NY where cost of living is sky high.

If an Assoc. is the best that can acquired, I'd strongly suggest a MUCH cheaper-to-live, much-less-competitive employment environment, and an entry-level slave job for a company that will pay for continued education till they get a Bachelors.

The Job market is not a pleasant place right now even for the highly experienced/educated, much less those with serious educational deficiencies (like only having a 2-year).

Not what you want hear, I'm sure, but...

The market is dominated by people with higher degrees.

That said, an associates degree holds a ton of value. It shows commitment to higher education if she wanted to pursue her studies further, and provides invaluable experience in getting acclimated to the college level. Perhaps most importantly, especially in today's climate, you can knock required liberal arts courses out of the way at a fraction of the cost.

If she is thinking about pursuing something in higher education, community college is an excellent place to start. I find that the students tend to take things more seriously, and the demographics tend to be older and/or more mature. This is usually due to the idea that community colleges have a higher percentage of part-time students than research institutions, so you get a higher number of students who are also working, paying their own way through school...etc, that stuff really matters inside the classroom and how students approach their work. For freshmen straight out of high school, entering such an environment can help them develop better study habits than larger, 4-year schools where sometimes they may get overwhelmed by a student body that promotes social life more.

Lastly, on a personal note, you never know where the things that you do in life are going to take you. Believe it or not, what landed me my highest paying consulting job was not my BA, MA, or doctorate, but my AA, because they believed that someone who started out at the AA level and worked their way so high must not only have a high degree of commitment but also an ability to translate academic speak into regular English, which I think is true. I have always maintained that I'm just as proud of my Brookdale degree as any of my others. There were some infinitely valuable lessons in life and the classroom that have stayed with me through everything, and I 100% believe that I would not be where I am without it.

The market is dominated by people with higher degrees.

That said, an associates degree holds a ton of value. It shows commitment to higher education if she wanted to pursue her studies further, and provides invaluable experience in getting acclimated to the college level. Perhaps most importantly, especially in today's climate, you can knock required liberal arts courses out of the way at a fraction of the cost.

If she is thinking about pursuing something in higher education, community college is an excellent place to start. I find that the students tend to take things more seriously, and the demographics tend to be older and/or more mature. This is usually due to the idea that community colleges have a higher percentage of part-time students than research institutions, so you get a higher number of students who are also working, paying their own way through school...etc, that stuff really matters inside the classroom and how students approach their work. For freshmen straight out of high school, entering such an environment can help them develop better study habits than larger, 4-year schools where sometimes they may get overwhelmed by a student body that promotes social life more.

Lastly, on a personal note, you never know where the things that you do in life are going to take you. Believe it or not, what landed me my highest paying consulting job was not my BA, MA, or doctorate, but my AA, because they believed that someone who started out at the AA level and worked their way so high must not only have a high degree of commitment but also an ability to translate academic speak into regular English, which I think is true. I have always maintained that I'm just as proud of my Brookdale degree as any of my others. There were some infinitely valuable lessons in life and the classroom that have stayed with me through everything, and I 100% believe that I would not be where I am without it.

Very, very well said. 

Even community college is what you make of it. There are a lot of people who start there and go onto bigger things. And in medical fields like nursing it's really all you need anyway. There are NPs who make as much as and have practices very much like  any doctor. With ObamaCare(will avoid...) that may become a lot more common.  And a degree like that allows you to go anywhere and be certain of a very decent career. 

I'm a big proponent of kids going to community college the first year or two of undergrad especially if they want to do a real major like Engineering or Pre-Med.  I went to Rutgers and was on Busch Campus my freshman year the amount of pre-med, engineering and pharmacy students I saw wash out after just one semester was insane my dorm floor looked like a ghosthouse after the winter break.

fwiw, I typical hire the person who worked while getting thier associates then the person who spent 6 years in school getting thier masters. Lots to be said for real world experiance and in certain fields colleges can't keep pace with the rate of change in business today. ( tech, marketing)

When I went to school I had to take a year of COBOL and C++ but was coding at work in Web and database technologies. It was a complete waste of time and did more to hinder then help me.

lots of chatter about colleges becomming a thing of the past for many areas, too much debt and as tech makes it way into more and more fields the exponential rate of change will leave colleges perpetually behind the 8 ball

learn a trade or start a business.

I was told by a housewife in darien connecticut in a $800,000 house with 2 masters degrees she doesn't think she is sending her kids to college because it isn't worth it.  I was stunned until I looked into it as a ROI proposition

I can only speak for my job markets which are institutional stock and bond brokerage and financial advisor for an insurance firm. You will probably get a job in the back office in a brokerage house making ~40k and she can probably get strictly commission based work at a northwestern mutual or ny life etc.

Back office at a brokerage firm is steady, you aren't surrounded by rocket scientists but it's pretty steady work and you may get some advancement every 3-5 years if you kiss enough ass and enough people quit. You'll also get benefits.

those insurance based advisor jobs ******* suck because you will get no training but if by chance she does succeed, the payoff for her level of education will be very good. You will get benefits here also

fwiw, I typical hire the person who worked while getting thier associates then the person who spent 6 years in school getting thier masters. Lots to be said for real world experiance and in certain fields colleges can't keep pace with the rate of change in business today. ( tech, marketing)

When I went to school I had to take a year of COBOL and C++ but was coding at work in Web and database technologies. It was a complete waste of time and did more to hinder then help me.

lots of chatter about colleges becomming a thing of the past for many areas, too much debt and as tech makes it way into more and more fields the exponential rate of change will leave colleges perpetually behind the 8 ball

A lot of schools do night based MBA. That's what I did. 18 mos also not 6 years

I don't think an Associate's is going to get them much anywhere that a high school degree won't get.  The only path I see is, maybe interning someone while going to college, and then being offered a job there.  There are just too many other people out there with much better credentials that are still unemployed, and less jobs as well.  Most places are still under the crunch with finances, so they make less people do more work to compensate for not hiring more workers.  It also matters a lot to have experience these days, volunteer, intern, anything.  You can spin BS from anything (even working at McDonalds) to show that you learned lessons in business, but you do need experience.  My gf works in HR, so she's part of the hiring crew at her workplace, and she says, they pretty much don't even bother looking at resumes without experience.   

I would get out of NY as well, the cost of living is ridiculous, the competition is fierce, and quite honestly the quality of life is kinda trash unless you have a good paying job.  In college, I used to rent out a studio (illegal actually, just someone that rented out a large room in their house with a kitchen) and it cost me $1000 per month.  And then the taxes on everything as well, the traffic.  It's just not worth it, unless you have a good job secured, or you are chasing a dream where you can't do it anywhere else.  My suggestion would be to move elsewhere, get some experience at a job, and then try to get a good job in NY before moving back.  

However, stay the heck away from Memphis.  It has some nice jobs available, decent colleges too, but serious ghetto place.  The place is like the Bronx from the 70s.  I went there a couple of times for Grizzlies games, and I swear as soon as you walk out, you get the feeling you are about to be shot.  We didn't even stay for after game dinner, because I couldn't find a place that actually looked like a safe place to park your car without getting it stolen.  It's a central hub for drug trade, since the drugs coming through Florida, and the ones coming through Texas tend to meet up there, before being distributed to the East Coast and middle states.  Gangs abound, murder rate is ridiculous, however unlike NY, the police force is much smaller with much tighter budgets.  So there isn't a whole lot of protection.   

However, cities like Houston (gang and drug issues persist here as well unfortunately) Dallas, Nashville, Atlanta, and others are better off, with economies that still have some jobs available.  Florida is also a decent place.  

Archived