**** MARCH MADNESS ****

Integrity28

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently a lot of the biggest upsets tend to happen early on the first day of the tournament.  Played out that way again this year.

Idk how to find out for certain but it seems like a good number happen with the early 4 games on Thursday/Friday.  Having never played basketball I don't really get the "early starts are brutal" excuse teams use, but I hear it every year.  I just see it as both teams have the SAME start time (it's not like a west coast football team coming to NY for a 1PM EST start) and they've all been up for many hours...not like they rolled out of bed at 10AM.

Again...I never really played basketball so maybe I just don't get it.

Idk how to find out for certain but it seems like a good number happen with the early 4 games on Thursday/Friday.  Having never played basketball I don't really get the "early starts are brutal" excuse teams use, but I hear it every year.  I just see it as both teams have the SAME start time (it's not like a west coast football team coming to NY for a 1PM EST start) and they've all been up for many hours...not like they rolled out of bed at 10AM.

Again...I never really played basketball so maybe I just don't get it.

The favorites probably drink like drunken sailors the night before or something. 

The favorites probably drink like drunken sailors the night before or something.

LOL, probably. UK could drink during their game and still win by 30. And if they did, I'd be much more interested in watching.

They were up by 12 with under 3 minutes left.  Combination of horrific chokejob + amazing comeback there.

The leg injury storyline for GA St was strong.  Not only is their best player Kevin Ware (the one who suffered that horrific leg injury with Louisville) but Coach Hunter was literally rolling around celebrating with a recent torn ACL. 

Jay Bias said this year was a weak field and I agree. There have been some ugly games today. NBA isn't doing college basketball any favors. Go Ducks!

What Bilas calls a weak field I call a deep one.  I like the fact that the mid-majors, and some of the unusual suspects among the P5 conferences, are able to keep players around for 4 years and thus tip the scales a bit away from a lot of the one-and-done type teams who lack tournament experience.  It makes for intriguing games and fun basketball like we've seen today.  

What Bilas calls a weak field I call a deep one. I like the fact that the mid-majors, and some of the unusual suspects among the P5 conferences, are able to keep players around for 4 years and thus tip the scales a bit away from a lot of the one-and-done type teams who lack tournament experience. It makes for intriguing games and fun basketball like we've seen today.

Yeah. A team like Gonzaga wouldn't exist when I was a kid. Eastern Washington wouldn't even have a program. Just wish the Pac 12 wasn't so bad.

Wichita St playing impressive ball.  They give up size to Kansas but are scoring just about any way they want to anyways.  Kansas going to a zone was perplexing.  Only thing keeping them in this is they've been pounding it inside and putting the Shockers in foul trouble.

Maryland playing as scared as I've ever seen a team play.

Isn't that the Maryland style?  Don't play anybody in non-conference then wonder why the team isn't battle-tested enough to handle a tournament setting?

Nah, I'm just letting my bias show here.  They did participate in an early season tournament where they faced Arizona St and Iowa St (winning both).  I just couldn't stand Gary Williams when he was the coach.  He'd always schedule cupcakes then complain when they didn't get at-large bids.

Archived