Is Kyle Wilson better than Buster Skrine?

DRJETS

The OP needs to stop posting and go watch the 2 side by side instead of wasting peoples time with this crap.

Skrine has 1 very important skill that Wilson doesn't and thats ability to cover and play the ball.

If Skrine was getting handsy, or penalized its because he got thrown to a ton and was taking chances on balls and in coverage, Wilson got penalties as a nickel because he tried to keep his head above water, and was constantly getting turned around in coverage.

Skrine may be getting overpaid, and i think part of that is the "scheme fit" however he is miles ahead of Kyle Wilson in coverage. if you ask me Kyle Wilson would have been a way better safety then he was a corner.

Not to mention that Skrine could be used a multiple of ways. IF Revis or Cro goes down you can plug Skrine at the #2 spot. We couldn't plug Wilson at the #2 spot with Philip Adams and Darrin Walls on the f'ing field. Also, given his ability to play the ball and tackle he can be used as a situational safety. If Wilson wasnt the slot/nickel CB that meant that he was on the bench because he sure as hell wasnt on the field doing anything else.  

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this was a very interesting article to read. skrine definitely has some skill. i get the feeling that the jets are going to have one of the best secondaries ever this year. bowles as a former db to help coach and revis is the ultimate mentor for any db.

Joe Hayden had a down year as well in 2014. The Cleveland pass rush was not very good and neither was their offense. They also lost their safeties from 2013. All things to consider when evaluating a player. Which is exactly why PFF and stats in general are a bad way of evaluating a player.

Joe Hayden had a down year as well in 2014. The Cleveland pass rush was not very good and neither was their offense. They also lost their safeties from 2013. All things to consider when evaluating a player. Which is exactly why PFF and stats in general are a bad way of evaluating a player.

They generally have a purpose in evaluating, but you're right. You never take stats over the eyeball test. This is exactly why im so high on a guy like Glennon. He doesnt have gaudy stats, but when you watch him with the little assistance that he gets from that offensive line, and indirectly the running game because of the oline, you see a guy that is better than what his stats or "PFF Science" would indicate.

Kyle Wilson is a great person I've met him on numerous occasions he also gives a lot back to his community has great parents.

Please refrain on the personal attacks things didn't work out for him here wish him the best in his future. 

How about you open a big can of shut the F-Up. Wilson was a bust and a bum. He couldn't cover my grandmother without her walker. You call out his name and he STILL can't turn his head to find out who wants him. Must of had some vertibrae fused together or something. Get him the hell out of here. And don't try to tell Jet Nation how to act Joe Willie.

Kyle Wilson has probably played his last snap in the NFL.

He was Gholston bad.

But that's not what made him one of the most hated Jets ever, it was his douchey behavior on the field.

If a QB overthrew the guy he was covereing he acted like it was him that caused it. Of course he never actually SAW the pass until it passed over the back of his head. I never understood that in five years he never could be taught to look for the ball. Sucks a$$.

How about you open a big can of shut the F-Up. Wilson was a bust and a bum. He couldn't cover my grandmother without her walker. You call out his name and he STILL can't turn his head to find out who wants him. Must of had some vertibrae fused together or something. Get him the hell out of here. And don't try to tell Jet Nation how to act Joe Willie.

Kyle Wilson didn't live up to his expectations I agree he and so many other top draft picks failed miserably once they were drafted onto the NY Jets Vernon Gholston being another college beasts at big time programs I often and always wondered why. Poor coaching comes to mind immediately. Revis,Cromartie,Rhodes didn't need coaching Walls,Adams,Landrys did and they failed here miserably. 

To say he's a bum and a rapist is wrong says a lot about the person posting its your parents who raised you poorly leads to making posts like this on a message board. Not telling anyone how to act stating my OPINION on posts. 

Kyle Wilson didn't live up to his expectations I agree he and so many other top draft picks failed miserably once they were drafted onto the NY Jets Vernon Gholston being another college beasts at big time programs I often and always wondered why. Poor coaching comes to mind immediately. Revis,Cromartie,Rhodes didn't need coaching Walls,Adams,Landrys did and they failed here miserably.

To say he's a bum and a rapist is wrong says a lot about the person posting its your parents who raised you poorly leads to making posts like this on a message board. Not telling anyone how to act stating my OPINION on posts.

Shut up and go away. He SUCKS because he sucks, not because of anything except he is a sh*tty football player that we waisted a draft pick on.

Kyle Wilson is a great person I've met him on numerous occasions he also gives a lot back to his community has great parents.

Please refrain on the personal attacks things didn't work out for him here wish him the best in his future. 

i still wouldn't trust him to change lanes in traffic

Shut up and go away. He SUCKS because he sucks, not because of anything except he is a sh*tty football player that we waisted a draft pick on.

You GFY and go away he didn't live up to his expectations and the coaching staff here didn't help him like many before him Gholston,Hill etc etc

Yes he played terrible but as a nickel CB he played well do you even understand what a nickel CBs duties are?  I doubt it. 

Yet he wasnt resigned by the new regime. Why not? Better yet, if he's so better than Buster Skrine then why hasn't Rex Ryan picked him up? What im sensing is that you believe Wilson to be a solid Corner and Skrine to be average to below average. If this is the case then there's no reason for Wilson to be a free agent for the past 3 weeks if he's that good. Half of the NFL had needs at CB going into free agency, yet 3 weeks into it Wilson is still a free agent.

Specifically, if Wilson was "at most" a competent #2 that would not give up 20TD's when playing across guys like Cromartie then why was he restricted to the slot when the Jets was putting Darrin Walls and Phillip Adams on the field? When it was confirmed that those two guys made up one of the worst duo's in the league why did Rex not slide one of those guys out in favor of Wilson but instead hit the street and signed Marcus Williams to the practice squad in September and still had to wait over a month before Williams was able to get game action as a starter in November? Remember, this is a team that was trying EVERYTHING at cornerback last year in order to stop the bleeding. Antonio Allen even started over Wilson last year.

I'll take your word for it that Buster Skrine gave up 8 TD's last year. I'll also take your word that Wilson wouldnt give up 20 TD's. But what you will have to take my word on is that Buster Skrine is a better playmaker than Wilson is. Buster Skrine had more INT's (4) and pass breakups (18) last year than Wilson has had in his 5 year career (3, 17). Buster Skrine also had more pass breakups in 2013 than Wilson has had in his career.

Wilson came into the league as a 1st round pick with his roster spot secured. 2 years later he was ultimately regulated to a back up role and nickel player and who was picked on constantly during his first 2 seasons because the opposing QB never ran the risk of a pass breakup or an INT throwing at Wilson's side. By the end of his 5th year no-name guys such as Phillip Adams, Darrin Walls, Marcus Williams and even Antonio Allen all played outside CB positions while Wilson was kept as the slot or nickel CB. Buster Skrine came in as a 5th rounder that ran the risk every day of being cut. Buster has played in all 16 games the 4 years he's been in the league. Last year the Browns drafted Justin Gilbert 8th overall and Pierre Desir later on in the draft and by the start of the league year, Buster Skrine was the starting CB across from Joe Haden and it stayed that way for the entirety of the season. Buster got a "pay day" contract from the Jets, and Wilson is looking for work...there's a reason for that.

I never said Buster gave up 8TDs. Maybe he did, someone else posted it. N I never said Buster was better or worse than Wilson. N I agree, Wilson sucks balls. Skeins sounds more like a Ty Law type CB at a much lower level. He'll take his chances n try to make a play n in the process, will give up big plays. A gambling slot corner that can play outside if needed. However, let's not make him out to be THE next Ty Law.

Kyle Wilson is the worst football player I've ever seen that was able to continue to play over and over. Just remember this, with essentially ZERO nfl caliber cornerbacks on our roster last year not only did wilson NOT get a chance to start he actually lost playing time as th season went on.

You GFY and go away he didn't live up to his expectations and the coaching staff here didn't help him like many before him Gholston,Hill etc etc

Yes he played terrible but as a nickel CB he played well do you even understand what a nickel CBs duties are? I doubt it.

Yea, it was the coaching. Lol

Tell your son Kyle to start looking for another job cause he SUCKED at his last one. Hey, proud of you sticking up for your son.

Yea, it was the coaching. Lol

Tell your son Kyle to start looking for another job cause he SUCKED at his last one. Hey, proud of you sticking up for your son.

I told him and he said thanks and that he already made more money than you will ever make in your lifetime.

Kyle Wilson is the worst football player I've ever seen that was able to continue to play over and over. Just remember this, with essentially ZERO nfl caliber cornerbacks on our roster last year not only did wilson NOT get a chance to start he actually lost playing time as th season went on.

For years how did we even compete in football games with Kyle Wilson and Eric Smith attempting to cover people?  Nobody, absolutely nobody is as putrid in coverage as those two - how did Rex even keep the games close?

Archived