Most versatile Secondary ever?

Jetster

I just got done viewing videos, reading articles & listening to local beat writers talking about players like Gilchrist & Skrine.

I'd already delved into learning as much as I could about Bowles defense, his use of what he calls "big nickel", and how he will also play a lot of dime coverage with big bodies up front.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say this might be the most versatile secondary the Jets have ever had!

It's amazing that in just one offseason we went from having UDFA corners, a nickel back in Wilson that can't catch & can't turn his head, a rookie safety & a flat out spent safety in Landry to this group we have now.

Revis? Without question the best CB in the game! (When Sherman starts playing both left & right I might change my stance).

Cromarty? Wily vet who is already versed in Bowles system (walks on the field & plays)

Skrine? Uber competitive CB who has been top 5 in pass breakups, has 4 picks last year, and who can play both wide or in the slot & has done both.

Gilchrist? Guy has played CB, FS, SS! Another guy with great knowledge of every position in the secondary.

Antonio Allen? Another safety that has some experience at CB.

Jarrett? The least versatile but a guy that will hit you when the opportunity arises & the only safety that made some plays last year. (Huge game vs Steelers).

Pryor? Whatever this guy is best at I'm sure Bowles will figure it out. With all these guys around him now that know how to do their jobs he should be able to play fast. Guys always improve in 2nd year when their head stops spinning.

Milliner? Who knows with his injury, but other CBs have come back. The guy was DPOTM at the end of his last season before getting injured. Obviously has skills. Never know, could come back as a ball hawking safety.

McDougle? Another guy that can play CB outside but was pegged to play nickel. Was known for his work ethic so I see this guy at least getting back on the field competing. Big ? but from all accounts was lights out in camp last year.

Just an amazing amount of guys that can move around & play in different areas of the field. What it really does is allows Bowles to game plan specifically for our opponents.

We'll have an answer for any formations!

2 TEs & you have AA, Jarrett or Pryor.

4 wides & you have Skrine, Gilchrist, Milliner?, McDougle?.

With a good pass rush & these interchangeable parts, it will be very difficult for QBs to get presnap reads if Bowles has these guys moving around.

This is gonna be fun to watch!

if milliner and pryor and mcdougal are healthy and develop, the talent is pretty amazing.

I just can't get over how many of these guys have played so many different positions in the secondary.

You start with Revis who can play, left, right, or slot.

Cro has played all over the place. 2 safeties that have played CB.

Pryor will learn a lot just playing with these guys.

I think we will also see plenty of DB blitz packages with this group, agree it should be fun to watch

Also why Harris remains valuable in the box for run support - he should not have to drop back in coverage

After getting over the shock of his contract (hey, it's not my money) but seeing what guys were getting on the market, it's clear to me there were probably 3 teams starting with the Bills that were going to pay big for his leadership.

I think your right.

Bowles can keep him in on some 3rd downs where the run could still come into play.

Your right. All of these guys can blitz too.

I'm waiting for that blind side Revis blitz that comes when the QB is always looking away from Revis.

That would be an unexpected event at the right precise moment.

I don't think our base defense will be the 3-4. Well it probably will be but we'll probably run it 20% of the time. The regular and heavy nickel will most likely be used the most. what's most important is that this team is prepared for injuries. Man if only the offense of skill position players were the same.

FS Pryor, Jarrett

SS Gilchrist, Allen

CB Revis, Skrine, Cromartie, Milliner, McDougle, Wall/Williams

Revis aside, we should be in great shape if one of these guys went down.

I don't think our base defense will be the 3-4. Well it probably will be but we'll probably run it 20% of the time. The regular and heavy nickel will most likely be used the most. what's most important is that this team is prepared for injuries. Man if only the offense of skill position players were the same.

FS Pryor, Jarrett

SS Gilchrist, Allen

I can see us doing lots of dime blitz on passing downs.  We're built for it.

FS Pryor, Jarrett

SS Gilchrist, Allen

Should that not be SS Pryor and FS Gilchrist?

I just got done viewing videos, reading articles & listening to local beat writers talking about players like Gilchrist & Skrine.

I'd already delved into learning as much as I could about Bowles defense, his use of what he calls "big nickel", and how he will also play a lot of dime coverage with big bodies up front.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say this might be the most versatile secondary the Jets have ever had!

It's amazing that in just one offseason we went from having UDFA corners, a nickel back in Wilson that can't catch & can't turn his head, a rookie safety & a flat out spent safety in Landry to this group we have now.

Revis? Without question the best CB in the game! (When Sherman starts playing both left & right I might change my stance).

Cromarty? Wily vet who is already versed in Bowles system (walks on the field & plays)

Skrine? Uber competitive CB who has been top 5 in pass breakups, has 4 picks last year, and who can play both wide or in the slot & has done both.

Gilchrist? Guy has played CB, FS, SS! Another guy with great knowledge of every position in the secondary.

Jarrett? The least versatile but a guy that will hit you when the opportunity arises & the only safety that made some plays last year. (Huge game vs Steelers).

Pryor? Whatever this guy is best at I'm sure Bowles will figure it out. With all these guys around him now that know how to do their jobs he should be able to play fast. Guys always improve in 2nd year when their head stops spinning.

Milliner? Who knows with his injury, but other CBs have come back. The guy was DPOTM at the end of his last season before getting injured. Obviously has skills. Never know, could come back as a ball hawking safety.

McDougle? Another guy that can play CB outside but was pegged to play nickel. Was known for his work ethic so I see this guy at least getting back on the field competing. Big ? but from all accounts was lights out in camp last year.

Just an amazing amount of guys that can move around & play in different areas of the field. What it really does is allows Bowles to game plan specifically for our opponents.

With a good pass rush & these interchangeable parts, it will be very difficult for QBs to get presnap reads if Bowles has these guys moving around.

Great take on this. I don't think its the best secondary, but most versatile for sure.

I am most interested to see how we use/ what we have in the Milliner, McDougle, Allen, Jarrett and Skrine. I feel like we know what we get with the other guys.

I'm thinking th base defense will be Coples, Harrison, Wilkerson, and Richardson up front, Harris and Davis in the middle, Revis and either Skrine or Milliner outside... With Cro in the nickle and Gilchrist and Pryor at safety. This would allow Pryor to play more in the box and less in coverage and also maybe allow Cro some freedom to roam and make plays. Rotating in Jarrett, Allen and McDougle on long drives and other packages would be ideal. It also protects when injuries pop up.

BOWLES has what he needs on defense and it's still a month until the draft. Now the focus needs to be finding a QB and offense offense offense.

Great take on this. I don't think its the best secondary, but most versatile for sure.

I am most interested to see how we use/ what we have in the Milliner, McDougle, Allen, Jarrett and Skrine. I feel like we know what we get with the other guys.

I'm thinking th base defense will be Coples, Harrison, Wilkerson, and Richardson up front, Harris and Davis in the middle, Revis and either Skrine or Milliner outside... With Cro in the nickle and Gilchrist and Pryor at safety. This would allow Pryor to play more in the box and less in coverage and also maybe allow Cro some freedom to roam and make plays. Rotating in Jarrett, Allen and McDougle on long drives and other packages would be ideal. It also protects when injuries pop up.

BOWLES has what he needs on defense and it's still a month until the draft. Now the focus needs to be finding a QB and offense offense offense.

I know I'm probably being biased, but I can't think of another secondary in the league with as much talent, both established and potential that is as good or as deep as our secondary in the league.

This defense has a chance to be special, and I mean historically special, and will be together for at least another 2-3 years.

Doesn't really matter when the offense leaves you in first and goal.

Ha ha, you really know how to kill a thread!

Hey, pick your chin up. If Geno faulters at least we have a guy in Fitzpatrick that is smart enough to read progressions.

Has Fitzpatrick ever played with 3 wideouts as talented as Decker/Marshall/Kerley? If Amaro steps up & we also draft a Cooper & a stud RB, that's plenty of talent for him to get the ball to.

Like some have said, we might be pleasantly surprised & find out with Fitzy playing & getting the ball out "on time" that our Oline is pretty good?

Geno had a tendency because of his inexperience to hold the ball too long.

Milliner was ROOKIE DPOTM vs terrible football teams and terrible offenses.... big difference

Milliner was ROOKIE DPOTM vs terrible football teams and terrible offenses.... big difference

Jets aren't playing many GREAT offenses or QBs this year.

Carr, Hoyer, RG3, Manzeil?, Cassel, Bortles, Bradford, Tannyhill, Mettenburger.

Eli only pads his stats vs crappy defenses. If Revis slows down Dez, Witten is a shell of himself & it won't be that easy for the Cowboys to run on the Jets, I see us getting Romo to be a little reckless.

We had Milliner as our #1 CB in 2013, now he'd be lucky to be #3. If he makes it back healthy I see him having no problem covering a #2 or #3 WR.

I know I'm probably being biased, but I can't think of another secondary in the league with as much talent, both established and potential that is as good or as deep as our secondary in the league.

This defense has a chance to be special, and I mean historically special, and will be together for at least another 2-3 years.

Legion of Boom is twice as good, especially when you factor in the safety's, but I agree about versatile.

A fair grade would be

Revis A+

Cro B-

Skrine C+

Milliner C

Pryor, Jarrett, Allen,  C-

McDougle ... who knows

Legion of Boom is twice as good, especially when you factor in the safety's, but I agree about versatile.

A fair grade would be

Revis A+

Cro B-

Skrine C+

Milliner C

McDougle ... who knows

Seattle has a much better secondary especially at the Safety positions but they are hit with injuries right now plus they just lost Maxwell.

A fair grade would be

Revis A+

Cro B-

Skrine C+

Milliner C

McDougle ... who knows

Sherman, Chancelor, and Thomas, sure top 3 might be slightly better, but they don't have the depth the Jets have now.

He played well against the best WR statistically that year in Josh Gordon....Mike Wallace he played against and good as well despite getting beat once and Tannenhill missing him. BTW he was AFC defensive player of the week in week 17 as well.

He showed some promise, looked good in the SD game last year before going down for the season. Too early to give up on him.....Revis didn't come in to his own til year 3 (coincidently or not the first year under Rex).

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Cro is a bigger corner that can jam and get his hands on WRs, rerouting bigger receivers in the game such as he did here vs Moss for example on the outside......he doesn't match up well vs slot receivers and doesn't play nickel.....that will be Skrine's roll which he played in 2013 before being upgraded to starter last year on the outside.

Can't see a scenario where Cro plays nickel, doesn't make sense to me.

Personally I'm excited to see Antonio Allen back at Safety. He did some really good things in 2013 before having to play corner last year due to the shlt talent we had to work with on the outside.

Think he can be real effective in Bowles big nickel playing the LB/S position, similar to what he did in college.

I love a good homer!

That should read "they don't have the depth the Jets have now."

That isn't homerish, especially not after the losses Seattle has had this off-season and injuries to players that will impact them going into next season.

I for one cannot wait to see what McDougle can do. I would think Bowles would ease him into the game by having him covering TEs in the beginning. Hope the kid can stay healthy

We are in agreement on something, Yay!  ;-).   Seriously, I am pumped to see him in that secondary and working Revis and Cro.   As you said I hope he can stay healthy.  

Archived