What position player in this draft would best assist the Jets in 2015

Tinstar

Let's face it folks, it's about instant gratification with the 1st round pick or that player is labeled a "Bust" by our fan base. To that end, I pose the above question.

QB :

Other than Winston, none of the QBs  would be of assistance to the Jets in the coming season.

OL :

I can think of 2 players who would be upgrades to  our OL this coming season.

Pass Rusher :  

I can think of 3 players in the 1st 2 rounds who would assist the Jets in this coming season. 

OLBer :

I don't see any player who would be an instant upgrade to the roster this coming season.

RB :

I don't see any player who would be an upgrade to the roster this season.

CB:

I don't see any upgrade this season.

WR:

I see quite a few upgrades for the upcoming  season but only at the slot position.

IMO, the choice should come down to between an OLman and a Pass Rusher .  The best way IMO to help the team now and into the future is to pick the highest rated player on your board from among these 2 positions.  IMO, that player is a Pass rusher.

That's the view from this fan.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OLB edge rusher speed needed at the position immediate impact players available 

1st let me thank you for responding to my post.

IMO, there's a difference between a pass rusher and an OLB when we're talking about a 1st rear player.  Not many prospect enter the NFL with the ability to drop into coverage and attack the QB with the viciousness that is needed in today's NFL.  If you can find a guy with the Pass rush ability who you can develop into that OLBer, you take him and allow him to do what he does best immediately.

Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson

Rang's take: "With the addition of Brandon Marshall, the Jets can take the best player available route and given the aggressive nature of head coach Todd Bowles, that might mean adding a pass rusher. At just 6-3, 246 pounds, Beasley doesn't possess the length and strength teams prefer on the perimeter but his explosiveness off the corner could make him an immediate impact performer."

Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson
Brinson's take: "This might be an ideal landing spot for the combine freak. The Jets don't need a pass rusher like Beasley, but they've got to think about replacing Quinton Coples and given Beasley's strength—speed, so much scary speed—Todd Bowles could uncork him on defenses out of the gate."

OLB edge rusher speed needed at the position immediate impact players available

Yup I agree.....I gotta say I have very limited knowledge of the prospects, but when it comes to NFL transition for rookies and from what I heard of the prospects, a pass rusher would have the most impact this season at 6 IMO with WR not far behind.

However if management believes Mariotta can be a franchise QB I want him and am willing to let him sit a year if needed.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Yup I agree.....I gotta say I have very limited knowledge of the prospects, but when it comes to NFL transition for rookies and from what I heard of the prospects, a pass rusher would have the most impact this season at 6 IMO with WR not far behind.

However if management believes Mariotta can be a franchise QB I want him and am willing to let him sit a year if needed.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Agree on Mariota franchise QB in the making again I doubt he's available at 6 so BPA immediate impact players 

I look at it this way, I want a WR/ RB / pass rusher in the 1st 3 rounds.

1- WR or OLB

2- WR or OLB or RB

3 - Wr or RB

If the team feels one of the two top wr's are ultra special i will have no problem with cooper or white at 6.

I'm not sure how i will react if we took mariota.

Forget 2015. I want a player that has enough potential to open up a decade or longer window to win a title.

These one and two year windows for playoff births are getting tired.

QB... QB.. QB!

Marcus Mariota.

If he doesn't pan out. So what? These other players you are talking about are just as likely to bust as MM.

We need a edge rusher & I believe Dante Fowler Jr is our guy he the most complete because he can get to the QB + he can cover the total package.

In a yr maybe, but not next yr.  That kid doesn't have the POA pass rush ability to be an elite Pass rusher next yr and there's no rookie that's going to be a difference as a coverage OLB and an impact pass rusher in his 1st yr.  It doesn't happen and it's way too much to ask any 1st yr kid coming into the league. 

Hell, Quinton Coples has played great as a Jet for 2 yrs in 2 different positions and Jet fans think he's a Borderline Bust because he doesn't have a boatload of sacks.

Forget 2015. I want a player that has enough potential to open up a decade or longer window to win a title.

QB... QB.. QB!

Marcus Mariota.

If he doesn't pan out. So what? These other players you are talking about are just as likely to bust as MM.

I have no problem with picking Marriota, as long as the fan base won't start screaming bust when he doesn't start in 2015 and at the start of 2016.  Since we all know that's not going to happen, what's the point ? 

In a yr maybe, but not next yr. That kid doesn't have the POA pass rush ability to be an elite Pass rusher next yr and there's no rookie that's going to be a difference as a coverage OLB and an impact pass rusher in his 1st yr. It doesn't happen and it's way too much to ask any 1st yr kid coming into the league.

Hell, Quinton Coples has played great as a Jet for 2 yrs in 2 different positions and Jet fans think he's a Borderline Bust because he doesn't have a boatload of sacks.

There's nothing borderline about it. Coples is ******* terrible.

QB... QB.. QB!

Marcus Mariota.

Mariota never had to make more than one read in college.  That type of quarterback very rarely succeeds in the NFL you're basically drafting another Geno because that's the QB he was in college.  Actually, Geno had to through progressions at West Virginia way more than Mariota ever did in Oregon.  Mariota is way more likely to bust than a Amari Cooper or Brandon Scherff.

We need a pass rusher, but not an OLB?  What position does the pass rusher play?  

Where ever you can put the player to best utilize his ability and create a mismatch in your favor.   What defensive scheme will the jets play in 2015 ?  When you buy a apple to you it's an apple, but do you know what it is to a Native American ?

OL, and it isn't even close. Had this been before the upgrades at WR and CB, naturally I would've likely set my sights there, but OL is a glaring need at this point. QB is as well, but value and likelihood of landing a quality player are at the OL position.

1st let me thank you for responding to my post.

IMO, there's a difference between a pass rusher and an OLB when we're talking about a 1st rear player.  Not many prospect enter the NFL with the ability to drop into coverage and attack the QB with the viciousness that is needed in today's NFL.  If you can find a guy with the Pass rush ability who you can develop into that OLBer, you take him and allow him to do what he does best immediately.

Where ever you can put the player to best utilize his ability and create a mismatch in your favor.   What defensive scheme will the jets play in 2015 ?  When you buy a apple to you it's an apple, but do you know what it is to a Native American ?

I don't care what you call him.  Are you saying that you want the best pass rusher and coach him up to play OLB, or draft the best OLB and let him rush the passer until he is ready to be a full time OLB?  Which are you saying?  For instance, a guy like Maybin may have been a better pass rusher, but he was never going to be able to hold up at OLB in a 3-4 compared to some others.

I don't care what you call him.  Are you saying that you want the best pass rusher and coach him up to play OLB, or draft the best OLB and let him rush the passer until he is ready to be a full time OLB?  Which are you saying?  For instance, a guy like Maybin may have been a better pass rusher, but he was never going to be able to hold up at OLB in a 3-4 compared to some others.

I want a kid who can get to the QB from the outside, from the inside and still have the foot speed to chase down a RB on a sweep.  Now I realize I can get that in quite a few of the top prospects.  I have my preference just like most around here.

I want a kid who can get to the QB from the outside, from the inside and still have the foot speed to chase down a RB on a sweep. Now I realize I can get that in quite a few of the top prospects. I have my preference just like most around here.

And your preference is fowler.

These are not the droids you are looking for.

Archived