MACC did great jobs with contracts.

Mavericknyc1980

the A team did a nice job

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/

3. It takes a village: Because Maccagnan has no background in contract negotiations and cap management, the Jets have restructured the way they do business. Former GM John Idzik, a contract/cap guy, used to handle the bulk of the negotiating; now it's a committee approach. Maccagnan will oversee the operation, but the primary negotiators will be Rod Graves and Jacqueline Davidson -- the senior director and manager of football administration, respectively. Dave Socie, formerly of the league office, has been retained on a part-time basis to help with cap and contract philosophy. Hymie Elhai, the team's vice president/business affairs & legal counsel, also will be involved. From what I hear, the Muhammad Wilkerson negotiations were a one-man show (Idzik) last year. Once Idzik got fired, it caused the two sides to start from square one, basically. 

The FO killed it. I think the only guys that can't be cut next offseason are Revis and Skrine. Good for the Jets.

If I'm reading jasons page correctly, in 2016 cro is $8 million in dead money and 0 savings, so it's a 2 year deal, same for harris and skrine as far as structure

If I'm reading jasons page correctly, in 2016 cro is $8 million in dead money and 0 savings, so it's a 2 year deal, same for harris and skrine as far as structure

Oh, that's a little worse. Alright, didn't kill it, but the key would be three years on Cro. Harris THO...

The FO killed it. I think the only guys that can't be cut next offseason are Revis and Skrine. Good for the Jets.

And Cro and Harris. That's more than half the FAs we picked up. I like the moves, but lets not get carried away.

Oh, that's a little worse. Alright, didn't kill it so much as did a decent job...could be worse.

I don't know how the dead money thing works, but 2 years is fair for those guys.  none of them are so old that you could expect them to just drop off skill wise.

it's really very interesting to see how it works, mangold becomes cuttable in 2016 and brick in 2017.  Only 7 players and currently under contract through 2018.  Really amazing what goes into all of these contracts and planning the roster

and jalen saunders is $360,000 in dead money, what a catastrophe that pick was

I wont have too much time to respond the next 10-12 days or so.

But i thought i will leave with this comment. Giving Cro 7 mill per year or 8 mill per year is still overpaying him OR whatever we are paying Harris the next two season per year is overpaying him. There are no two ways to looking that.

But i thought i will leave with this comment. Giving Cro 7 mill per year or 8 mill per year is still overpaying him OR whatever we are paying Harris the next two season per year is overpaying him. There are no two ways to looking that.

its a function of the system.  the in-demand players are blessed with bidding wars that inflate the compensation over what is "fair market value"

they had to pay this year or lose it to the NFLPA to pay it out which means some of the jets money would wind up in others teams players pockets

revis and cro and harris just did the jets a favor.  think of it that way.  do you want to pay brady ?  eww

Rather nice to be validated and to quiet all the Jets fans who were b!tching about MacCags' lack of contract negotiating experience. For some reason people chose to completely ignore the fact we kept a FORMER NFL GM on staff & the former GM's RHM in Rod Graves. We still have "Cap" people in place and FINALLY have a balance of SOLID TALENT EVALUATORS & Cap Savvy managers to run this team. We are in good hands people.

Rather nice to be validated and to quiet all the Jets fans who were b!tching about MacCags' lack of contract negotiating experience. For some reason people chose to completely ignore the fact we kept a FORMER NFL GM on staff & the former GM's RHM in Rod Graves. We still have "Cap" people in place and FINALLY have a balance of SOLID TALENT EVALUATORS & Cap Savvy managers to run this team. We are in good hands people.

And removing Bradway.

the in-demand players are blessed with bidding wars that inflate the compensation over what is "fair market value"

Do we know how much everyone else was willing to pay them. I understand your point. But i do not think the market would have paid Cro what he is getting paid here. Harris never saw the market. So without competing with anyone we handed him a very rich contract.

they had to pay this year or lose it to the NFLPA to pay it out which means some of the jets money would wind up in others teams players pockets

I understand we had to spend a certain percentage. But can anyone tell me how much we spend as compared to how much he we were forced to spend. I would appreciate specific figures.

Now i am not against spending. Spend away. But at the end of the day you have to get the best bang for your buck. You have to try to get the best value. Because that could mean the difference  between ending  up 9 new talented players rather than over paying and getting just 7 players. That extra two players may end up pushing the team from an outside pretender to a proper contender. That's why i am not a big fan of overpaying.

Also with respect to the JETS what concerns me is most of the players like Revis, Cro, Harris, Marshall are close to or on the wrong side of 30. I really hope this does not happen now that they are in green and white. But players at the age do tend to sometimes lose their speed or have trouble staying on the field. So after spending all that money we still have a huge risk factor.

Now i haven't had the chance to see these contract details but the impression i am getting is it's a 2 year window and if it does not work out we walk away scot free (not sure how true that is). I could elaborate more on this some other day. I gotta go. All in all does not give me a high level of comfort. We will see.

My thought is you can't sign every FA to a one year deal nor do you want to. Cro deal is 2 years 16 mil. Prob 4 mil to much but we wanted another cb and had to spend the money.

Harris is also a 2 year deal that I think for too much $$. I only think that because I don't think he can cover anyone. Now if Boles defense does not ask the mlb to cover but just rush and stop the run then I am fine with it. Harris is still very good at rushing the qb and playing the run.

I really don't understand your criticisms. I know you've defended John Idzik quite a bit, and maybe that's because you place this premium on wise spending or cap space over acquiring talent. Or maybe this is an argument to continue to support Idzik's plan. I don't know.

Yes, they paid a premium for these two players. No doubt about it. But these two players helped solidify a roster that fell into complete shambles over the last two years, and it was already in bad shape when Idzik took over. The Jets went from one of the worst (if not the worst) secondaries in the NFL to one of the best in one spending spree. The Jets have little else at inside LB outside of Harris, and the market was such that he would've likely been the top prize at his position in free agency. Would a bidding war have brought his contract number any higher than the $7.5M/year the Jets are paying him? I don't know, but maybe. We all know plenty of tampering goes on every free agency period, and you have to think the Jets did a little reconnaissance before inking that deal. Cromartie allegedly took a little less to return to NY. That's the market.

In one quick free agency period, Maccagnan solidified and stabilized the roster for the next two years. And that's part of the beauty of what he did, too. Every contract has an escape hatch after two years. Even Revis' deal provides $7.3M in cap relief (along with $8M in dead money) in 2017 if they decide to part ways. Which isn't happening, anyway.

They're looking for a quick turn around. Which is good. I'd like to see the Jets win some football games next year. With the roster already clearly improved, now Maccagnan needs to kill it in the draft and UDFA over the next 2-3 years. Get young cheap talent in here that can push the older, expensive talent out the door. All while remaining competitive, rather than fielding the absolute garbage they trotted out the last couple or few years.

Just don't see the point of complaining about a couple million bucks of someone else's money. The Jets still have plenty of cap space. They haven't hurt themselves capwise this year, or in future years. And the team is clearly improved.

Yeah, don't get it.

I really don't understand your criticisms. I know you've defended John Idzik quite a bit, and maybe that's because you place this premium on wise spending or cap space over acquiring talent. Or maybe this is an argument to continue to support Idzik's plan. I don't know.

Yes, they paid a premium for these two players. No doubt about it. But these two players helped solidify a roster that fell into complete shambles over the last two years, and it was already in bad shape when Idzik took over. The Jets went from one of the worst (if not the worst) secondaries in the NFL to one of the best in one spending spree. The Jets have little else at inside LB outside of Harris, and the market was such that he would've likely been the top prize at his position in free agency. Would a bidding war have brought his contract number any higher than the $7.5M/year the Jets are paying him? I don't know, but maybe. We all know plenty of tampering goes on every free agency period, and you have to think the Jets did a little reconnaissance before inking that deal. Cromartie allegedly took a little less to return to NY. That's the market.

In one quick free agency period, Maccagnan solidified and stabilized the roster for the next two years. And that's part of the beauty of what he did, too. Every contract has an escape hatch after two years. Even Revis' deal provides $7.3M in cap relief (along with $8M in dead money) in 2017 if they decide to part ways. Which isn't happening, anyway.

They're looking for a quick turn around. Which is good. I'd like to see the Jets win some football games next year. With the roster already clearly improved, now Maccagnan needs to kill it in the draft and UDFA over the next 2-3 years. Get young cheap talent in here that can push the older, expensive talent out the door. All while remaining competitive, rather than fielding the absolute garbage they trotted out the last couple or few years.

Just don't see the point of complaining about a couple million bucks of someone else's money. The Jets still have plenty of cap space. They haven't hurt themselves capwise this year, or in future years. And the team is clearly improved.

Yeah, don't get it.

Because whiners are going to whine!!! 

I am still not in love with bringing Cro back or the price, but after all the $20M guarantee talk, I feel much better about it now.  Sort of like that under promise philosophy.  I hated it so much that now I am breathing a sigh of relief.  Not a big fan of the Harris deal either, but it is not strictly fair to say that he didn't test the market at all.  The Jets signed him the first day of the legal tampering window.  It is possible and probable that he had a few feelers.

Yeah, don't get it.

I don't get it either. Market sets the price. If you want the guy you have to pay more than any other interested party. In that sense every FA signing is "overpaying." It is a ridiculous and unsupported (and lazy) statement to just say "but we overpaid." Compared to what? According to what metrics? This isn't the real world where a dollar saved goes into your bank account and has some value to you being unspent. There is a salary cap and there is requirement/incentive to spend almost all of it. JFID hasn't liked any FA signing except for bargain bin shopping.

what I'm seeing of the ways these deals are structured + knowing we needed to spend cash the next 2 years, it's hard to complain.

The one issue however is that players like McDougal and Miliner are unlikely to be given a chance to develop. 

what I'm seeing of the ways these deals are structured + knowing we needed to spend cash the next 2 years, it's hard to complain.

The one issue however is that players like McDougal and Miliner are unlikely to be given a chance to develop. 

With the way Bowles uses 5-8 DB's to counter spread offenses there will be plenty of

opportunities for the younger players to get on the field.  It will be up to them (Milliner,

McDougle, Williams, Allen & Jarrett) to be available and to know their assignments

I don't get it either. Market sets the price. If you want the guy you have to pay more than any other interested party. In that sense every FA signing is "overpaying." It is a ridiculous and unsupported (and lazy) statement to just say "but we overpaid." Compared to what? According to what metrics? This isn't the real world where a dollar saved goes into your bank account and has some value to you being unspent. There is a salary cap and there is requirement/incentive to spend almost all of it. JFID hasn't liked any FA signing except for bargain bin shopping.

Completely agree. Based on the press reporting, he had a higher offer from someone else (Oakland?) but came to the Jets. They paid him what they had to to get him and still managed to do a pretty decent deal considering. Context is critical to judging a deal:

by Igor Mello | CBSSports.com

Fri, 13 Mar 2015 9:33 AM ET
408961.jpg

Antonio Cromartie turned down a better offer from another team to come back to the Jets and reunite with coach Todd Bowles, a source told Kimberley A. Martin of Newsday on Thursday.

Cromartie signed a four-year deal worth approximately $32 million, though how much of it is guaranteed has not been made public. His decision came down to the Jets and Cardinals, though it wasn't Arizona that offered him more money.

"It was another team that had a lot of cap room," a source told the Star Ledger.

In his only season with Arizona, Cromartie totaled 46 tackles and three interceptions. He picked off 13 passes in his first stint with the Jets from 2010-13.

They will still be used nickel and dime formations quite frequently. It actually helps having a guy like a Milliner cover the 3rd or 4th WR Tom Brady likes to pick on the defenses weakest corner.

My view on contracts for most any sport is that there is no big sin on overpaying on a short term deal or a deal in which you can get out from under quickly.  It sounds like some of the Jets signings that look over priced on the surface are structured so they can get away from them if things do not work out.  The Sanchez and Holmes Tanny contracts were nasty in that regard, way over priced and couldn't get away from, them.

I agree with this -- just not a Cro guy. He will get a bunch of holding and Interference penalties next year.  If he is healthy.  As for Harris, too much guaranteed.  I keep thinking Woody had something to do with this.  At least with the guaranteed part.  

Yeah, don't get it.

I won't mix Idzik in this. This has nothing to do with him.

I have heard various names assigned for overpaying like 'premium'. I gotta say, has a nice ring to it. I have heard various excuses for overpaying too like "no team can be in cap hell". But at the end of the day it's overpaying. And when you overpay you could possibly acquire the 6-7 players that JETS did in the is FA. But if you are paying at fair value that same dollar amount gets you probably 8-9 players. As i said the two extra talented players on the team take you from a outside pretender to a legit contender.

That's the issue i have. We are not a legit contender's.  While some fans are happy we will win a few games right now most realize and accept we are a wild card team. Which lowers the probability of winning it all. Now if we are wild card team with money to improve the following season I would still be ok with it. But here we blew our cap wad and all we have is a team that at best is wild card winner.  So enjoy the few wins or that 10-6 season. But fans like me who are sick and tired of waiting 45 year plus would rather have a plan and a team geared towards that plan of being a legit SuperBowl contender.

I understand that the draft is still ahead of us and if the new FO performs lights out than believe me i would have no problem changing my opinion.

Finally any fan who bought that piece of news that a mystery team was willing to pay even more for Cromartie, i have a bridge in Brooklyn priced to sale, just for you. Let me know.

Archived