Details on the Cromartie deal...nothing guaranteed past 2015

ComfortablyNumb

We can all relax now and breathe easier about the deal. Front office knows what it's doing and keeping us healthy for the future.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/03/antonio_cromartie_jets_contract_nothing_is_guarant.html

Antonio Cromartie Jets contract: Nothing guaranteed beyond 2015
Antonio Cromartie
Antonio Cromartie's widely reported four-year, $32 million Jets contract includes only $5 million in fully guaranteed money and $7 million in total guarantees. (Jennifer Stewart | Getty Images)
Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com By Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on March 23, 2015 at 1:43 PM, updated March 23, 2015 at 2:02 PM

PHOENIX — When the Jets recently signed back cornerback Antonio Cromartie, there was some heard-scratching in some quarters over the four-year, $32 million deal Cromartie received. Those figures, at least on their face, matched the kind of terms Cromartie got from the Jets in 2011, which didn't seem to make much sense.

Cromartie's deal also sparked a bit of panic among some Jets fans who worried their favorite team had transformed its salary-cap situation from Scrooge McDuck into "Brewster's Millions," what with Darrelle Revis set to collect $39 million in guarantees and Buster Skrine getting another $13 million.

But, as was true with safety Marcus Gilchrist's deal, Cromartie's widely reported contract terms are mostly a mirage.

Once more: Why does a star like Revis leverage all he can to make as much money as possible? This is why. Most players' contracts have little to no security, Cromartie's included.

Cromartie, who spent last season with the Cardinals after being cut by the Jets, will be 31 in April. He's certainly better than what the Jets had at cornerback last year, but perhaps not for the next four seasons. And his deal actually includes a base salary of $5 million for this year, plus a $2 million roster bonus. That base salary is the only part of the contract that's fully guaranteed. After that? The Jets could cut Cromartie at any time after 2015 and owe him nothing.

In 2016 and '17, Cromartie is due to make $8 million, and in '18 his base salary is $9 million. There are also additional incentives in all three years of the deal.

NFL Meeting 2015: What would you ask Jets' Woody Johnson, Todd Bowles?
WATCH: Michael Sam works out for scouts at NFL veteran combine

But for every season after 2015, it's a straight play-as-you-go contract: There's not even a team option that would have to be exercised before the start of the 2016, 2017, or 2018 league years. Which means that if the Jets wanted to, they could cut Cromartie as late as the '16, '17, or 18 preseasons and still not have to pay him any more or absorb any dead money against the salary cap.

Also worth noting is that there's no signing bonus, which means there's nothing for the Jets to pro-rate over the four-year max length of the contract. In fact, each year's salary cap hit matches that year's base salary (except for the $5 million base plus $2 million roster bonus this year). Those cap hits (from 2015-18) are $7 million, $8 million, $8 million, and $9 million. But, again, the Jets can wipe anything beyond 2015 off the books completely if they wanted to cut Cromartie.

Remember that story about Cromartie turning down more money to return to the Jets? It's now obvious that was a reference to what's guaranteed. Because there's nothing after this year.

Dom Cosentino may be reached at dcosentino@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @domcosentino. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

I think this is essentially the Dee Milliner security blanket, as apposed to Milliner being the security blanket for Cro.  If Milliner returns and shows that he can be really good, then renegotiate with Cro or move on from him.  If Milliner proves to be injury prone, then we get a CB of Cromartie's caliber for essentially a one year deal.  It's actually structured well to deal with the possibility of our roster transforming and giving us options in the future.  I gotta say, when the news first came out, I was disappointed with the deal, but also at that time, it was widely reported that he had basically 20 million guaranteed.  

On Millier, I think the contract is proof that Milliner really isn't going anywhere unless it's an offer they can't refuse.  

The hand wringing was entertaining. Nicely done, Mac.

More entertaining were those suggesting it was a smart deal when it was believed/reported to be triple what he got ($20M) guaranteed.

Fans were rightly concerned to hear of such a mindless offer, because it suggests the GM has little sense of value and is merely spending to spend.

This is far more comforting to know it's a 1 year $7M deal with team-only options beyond that.

I think this is essentially the Dee Milliner security blanket, as apposed to Milliner being the security blanket for Cro. If Milliner returns and shows that he can be really good, then renegotiate with Cro or move on from him. If Milliner proves to be injury prone, then we get a CB of Cromartie's caliber for essentially a one year deal. It's actually structured well to deal with the possibility of our roster transforming and giving us options in the future. I gotta say, when the news first came out, I was disappointed with the deal, but also at that time, it was widely reported that he had basically 20 million guaranteed.

On Millier, I think the contract is proof that Milliner really isn't going anywhere unless it's an offer they can't refuse.

That's great news. Don't get me wrong, I love Cro back in Green and White, but was a little concerned when his current deal appeared to be very similar to the deal we signed him to 4 years ago. Now that we have the flexibility to keep or cut him after this year I feel a lot better about it.

We now have a very good corner opposite Revis for 2015 at minimum, and can reevaluate both he and Milliner after the season. Bringing back Cro in 2016 will depend as much on his play as it will Milliners and his health as well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

That's great news. Don't get me wrong, I love Cro back in Green and White, but was a little concerned when his current deal appeared to be very similar to the deal we signed him to 4 years ago. Now that we have the flexibility to keep or cut him after this year I feel a lot better about it.

We now have a very good corner opposite Revis for 2015 at minimum, and can reevaluate both he and Milliner after the season. Bringing back Cro in 2016 will depend as much on his play as it will Milliners and his health as well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I think when healthy, Milliner is a very good CB.  The issue is really the health, because his injury is tough to come back for a CB.  The Achilles is stressed the most when you push your foot down (like say when you push down on a pedal), which is a similar motion to when you get out of a break and try to accelerate again.  We need to see how he actually adjusts to it, because one of the big physical advantages he had coming out of college was that he was great out of breaks and could close the gap very quickly.  If that is compromised, then we may not be looking at the same potential he had previous to the injury.  I think that's the reason we went out and got three CBs instead of two, because a slot CB would place even more pressure on the Achilles because they have to be ready for a horizontal break to either side.  

Hopefully he comes back healthy, and good as before, but it is a tough injury to recover from.  

Yeah, the 4 year deal with 20 million guaranteed was a bad deal no matter how you slice it even in a seller's market.  I think at the time, I mentioned that it was very close to the deal that Jackson got, and he was not only younger, but better than Cro last year, so it didn't make sense that we would over pay like that.  But this is a much better deal, although I wonder why it took so long for it to be official.  

The Jets will cut Cro after the 2015 season unless he agrees to re-negotiate.

Depends at what level he is playing at, and what kind of a showing the Jets make as a team this year.

Bowles when out of his way to talk Cro up at the owners meetings.  This isn't Rex, he has been very conservative in heaping praise on players.  We'll see.

IMO if Cro plays at the level he played last year, he gets at least two years.  The new cap window doesn't open until 2017

The official numbers are in on the Antonio Cromartie contract, and they are not quite what they were made out to be.

This is not surprising because the guaranteed portion of his contract was not reported initially, indicating it would not sound quite as good as the total.

The contract is for four years and $32 million, but only $7 million is guaranteed, and all of that comes in 2015. The Jets could move on after one season without salary-cap ramifications.

Cromartie, who turns 31 next month, has a base salary of $5 million and a $2 million roster bonus this season. The base salary is guaranteed, and he is going to make the roster bonus, so that essentially is money in his pocket, too.

After that? The Jets could cut him at any point. He received no signing bonus, which usually would be prorated over the life of the deal.

Cromartie, who spent last season with the Cardinals, is scheduled to make $8 million in 2016 and 2017 and his base salary is $9 million in 2018. He also has incentives that can escalate the value of the contract.

All in all, this looks like a great deal for Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan, who upgraded the cornerback position without committing long-term bucks.

Sorry if repost. 

Looks like this gives us a year to figure out if Dee and Mcdougle are worthy. Brilliant. 

I think when healthy, Milliner is a very good CB.  

Hopefully he comes back healthy, and good as before, but it is a tough injury to recover from.  

We must have been watching different games, and I thought I saw all of them, but who knows. Do you have links for the games where Dee Milliner was very good or could you send me the files?

The ones I saw he didn't look real good in. Thanks in advance. 

We can all relax now and breathe easier about the deal. Front office knows what it's doing and keeping us healthy for the future.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/03/antonio_cromartie_jets_contract_nothing_is_guarant.html

Antonio Cromartie Jets contract: Nothing guaranteed beyond 2015
Antonio Cromartie
Antonio Cromartie's widely reported four-year, $32 million Jets contract includes only $5 million in fully guaranteed money and $7 million in total guarantees. (Jennifer Stewart | Getty Images)
Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com By Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on March 23, 2015 at 1:43 PM, updated March 23, 2015 at 2:02 PM

PHOENIX — When the Jets recently signed back cornerback Antonio Cromartie, there was some heard-scratching in some quarters over the four-year, $32 million deal Cromartie received. Those figures, at least on their face, matched the kind of terms Cromartie got from the Jets in 2011, which didn't seem to make much sense.

Cromartie's deal also sparked a bit of panic among some Jets fans who worried their favorite team had transformed its salary-cap situation from Scrooge McDuck into "Brewster's Millions," what with Darrelle Revis set to collect $39 million in guarantees and Buster Skrine getting another $13 million.

But, as was true with safety Marcus Gilchrist's deal, Cromartie's widely reported contract terms are mostly a mirage.

Once more: Why does a star like Revis leverage all he can to make as much money as possible? This is why. Most players' contracts have little to no security, Cromartie's included.

Cromartie, who spent last season with the Cardinals after being cut by the Jets, will be 31 in April. He's certainly better than what the Jets had at cornerback last year, but perhaps not for the next four seasons. And his deal actually includes a base salary of $5 million for this year, plus a $2 million roster bonus. That base salary is the only part of the contract that's fully guaranteed. After that? The Jets could cut Cromartie at any time after 2015 and owe him nothing.

In 2016 and '17, Cromartie is due to make $8 million, and in '18 his base salary is $9 million. There are also additional incentives in all three years of the deal.

NFL Meeting 2015: What would you ask Jets' Woody Johnson, Todd Bowles?

WATCH: Michael Sam works out for scouts at NFL veteran combine

But for every season after 2015, it's a straight play-as-you-go contract: There's not even a team option that would have to be exercised before the start of the 2016, 2017, or 2018 league years. Which means that if the Jets wanted to, they could cut Cromartie as late as the '16, '17, or 18 preseasons and still not have to pay him any more or absorb any dead money against the salary cap.

Also worth noting is that there's no signing bonus, which means there's nothing for the Jets to pro-rate over the four-year max length of the contract. In fact, each year's salary cap hit matches that year's base salary (except for the $5 million base plus $2 million roster bonus this year). Those cap hits (from 2015-18) are $7 million, $8 million, $8 million, and $9 million. But, again, the Jets can wipe anything beyond 2015 off the books completely if they wanted to cut Cromartie.

Remember that story about Cromartie turning down more money to return to the Jets? It's now obvious that was a reference to what's guaranteed. Because there's nothing after this year.

Dom Cosentino may be reached at dcosentino@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @domcosentino. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

I'm sure that some Jets fans in Denver will still find a way to find fault with the Macc and the Cromartie deal..   :scare:

More entertaining were those suggesting it was a smart deal when it was believed/reported to be triple what he got ($20M) guaranteed.

Fans were rightly concerned to hear of such a mindless offer, because it suggests the GM has little sense of value and is merely spending to spend.

This is far more comforting to know it's a 1 year $7M deal with team-only options beyond that.

I never believed that that 20 mill guarantee was real life.  But I am a Jet fan, so.......

We must have been watching different games, and I thought I saw all of them, but who knows. Do you have links for the games where Dee Milliner was very good or could you send me the files?

Last 5 games of his rookie year, you must have missed them.

Last 5 games of his rookie year, you must have missed them.

Flat tore it up against some QB's who are soon to not be in the game anymore. Not impressed. Actually didn't even play that well then. 

It was posted as such and believed to be such for days. While believing it to be true, there were many defending such a contract.

Yes I remember that.  Members of the Former Jets Fan Club.  Some people's attitudes about money spent befuddle me.

So, it appears that Macc actually knows what he is doing when it comes to contracts--the one place that we knew he had no experience. Could it be that we finally have a GM with the perfect balance of Tannenbaum and Idzik; unafraid to hand out contracts, but won't mortgage the future in doing so? Now, if Macc can deliver on his supposed area of expertise--scouting talent--then whoa buddy, we've got someone special.

I'm incredibly excited, yet so very afraid. Someone hold me. :confused0085:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/06/rookies-in-focus-dee-milliner/

It shows the PFF stats from his rookie year, and the final six games, he made a marked improvement.  Last year, he started off hurt, so can pretty much forget the whole season unfortunately.  

Now, if you extrapolate those numbers from the last 6 games to a full season, his PFF rating would've been better than any free agent this offseason besides Revis.  Obviously, it's a very short sample size, but I'm just providing proof that there was a stretch when he was healthy that he played good.  He also won rookie of the month, so not just PFF that liked him.  He's been horrible for the most part, and he's been injured a lot as well.  However, when he was fully healthy, he did show some potential.  

screen-shot-2010-02-18-at-11-15-22-pm.pn

Mr. Know It All. Wait for the contract details before freaking out next time

screen-shot-2010-02-18-at-11-15-22-pm.pn

Mr. Know It All. Wait for the contract details before freaking out next time

It was reported and there was a thread about it. I neither reported it nor started a thread about it.

So it's only permitted to comment on it when fawning over the wisdom of what were obviously terrible contract terms?

The egg is on the fact of those who repeatedly insisted the false terms were somehow smart or (at worst) not that bad. Clearly even the Jets brass, who were hailed as wise for signing him with $16-20M guaranteed, also thought that would be insane for Cromartie.

Being honest rather than hopeful about the signing, it remains to be seen if he's worth 1 year $7M, since (save a game here or there, like even a scrub can have), he hasn't looked like a higher-end starting corner all season long since 2012 at age 28.

I DO like that the Jets are his (or anyone's) dream team to be on.

Archived