The Most Underrated Receiver in this Draft Should be Available at 37

JetBlue

I am talking about Sammie Coates.  While I know the knocks on him, his upside off the charts.  Imagine Marshall, Decker Kerley and then a talent like Coates.  One of the things I like about him is he really runs like a running back and is great at getting YAC.  He would probably excellent in a spread offense.  Big, super athletic and explosive player who needs to be a more consistent.  He couldn't have a better players to learn from than Marshall and Decker.  Of course he could be gone by 37 but I have a feeling he will be there when we pick and I hope we pull the trigger. 

Check out some of the plays he makes in this video (I LOVE the Stiff Arm!!) and then imagine him doing that in green and white.  

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's just my own perception, but guys who are productive outside of the first round often seem to have good hands.

Think I'd be interested in a Rashad Greene type. Might be a slot guy but could play outside some too. Strength might be an issue but he's got the quickness to get open and if you put it on him he'll catch it (I know he had a drop in the Oregon game, but overall he's got very good hands). Would love to have a bunch of legitimate threats out there. Think I'd be pretty happy with Greene in the third if he's available.

One of the keys to a spread offense is catching the football, a skill Sammie has had trouble with.  Probably higher than most on him over the the last couple of seasons, but there's a reason he's not a first round pick with those measurables and his career.

I think that is a bit overrated. Sure he has had some drops but he has also made some big catches and I think his issue might be more a concentration issue than one of ability.   The reason I am advocating for him because he can be further developed and if he is, it will be like a having 2 first round picks.   Since we have Marshall now, he will not be starting but should get cut into Kerley's pt and also when we go to 4, 5 wr sets.   He will not have any pressure on him because of who is starting ahead of him.  

The Vernon Gholston of WR's. 

I will pass on this guy for sure. 

I thought Stephen Hill was the Gholston of WRs?   

From CBS Sports:  

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Freakish blend of size, speed and strength. Reportedly has been clocked in the 4.3s in the 40-yard dash and this speed is apparent on the field.

He's strong enough to fight through press coverage and accelerates fluidly. Coates tracks the ball well over his shoulder and can pull away from defenders to capitalize when he has the ball. Explosive leaping ability.

He's unique in that Coates combines this speed with a muscle-packed frame that makes him every bit as likely to shove defenders to the ground as run away from them. He can extend and pluck fastballs outside of his frame and tracks the ball well over his shoulder. Malzahn's scheme calls for his receivers to block often and he is a physical and alert in this role.

WEAKNESSES: Doesn't explode out of his breaks consistently and simply isn't as reliable catching passes when working his way back to the quarterback. This is why has been more of a complementary threat to teammate Duke Williams, who is more reliable route-runner and pass-catcher.

Coates runs limited routes in Auburn's scheme (mostly verticals, quick outs and drags across the middle) and he could generate more separation by sinking his hips and exploding out of his cuts. He doesn't consistently sell his routes when the play calls for a run or if he thinks the pass is going another way. Occasionally he'll let an "easy" pass slip through his fingers.

IN OUR VIEW: While Coates remains a work in progress, NFL teams are frequently willing to gamble early picks on natural playmakers. He is a classic one-trick pony as a receiver. Blessed with mercurial speed for a receiver of his height and build, he might be the elite deep threat in college football.

--Rob Rang (12/4/14)

I think this is the kind of player who maybe available at 37 you have to consider because his ceiling is so high; I think worst case he he becomes a poor mans Alvin Harper.   Again, remember we have Marshall for at least 2 more years.  Coates is the perfect player to groom to replace him.... 

I like Samie Coats terrific athlete . Has a tendency for drops tho . Although I'm sure he can overcome it . Where not talking Stephen Hill hands here.

Thank you! People seriously sleeping on this guy because of a few drops.  He has the potential to be as good as any receiver in this draft. 

Maybe it's just my own perception, but guys who are productive outside of the first round often seem to have good hands.

Think I'd be interested in a Rashad Greene type. Might be a slot guy but could play outside some too. Strength might be an issue but he's got the quickness to get open and if you put it on him he'll catch it (I know he had a drop in the Oregon game, but overall he's got very good hands). Would love to have a bunch of legitimate threats out there. Think I'd be pretty happy with Greene in the third if he's available.

Greene would be a nice add but Coates is a true playmaker who can score from any where on the field.  I want our offense to become dominant; a player like Coates can help us do that. 

I think that is a bit overrated. Sure he has had some drops but he has also made some big catches and I think his issue might be more a concentration issue than one of ability.   The reason I am advocating for him because he can be further developed and if he is, it will be like a having 2 first round picks.   Since we have Marshall now, he will not be starting but should get cut into Kerley's pt and also when we go to 4, 5 wr sets.   He will not have any pressure on him because of who is starting ahead of him.  

Thank you! People seriously sleeping on this guy because of a few drops.  He has the potential to be as good as any receiver in this draft. 

No one is sleeping on the guy, he just isn't as polished as some of the first rounders.  I live for SEC football and have seen this kid play probably more than most on the board and would love for the Jets to draft him, however, he definitely has some hangups; he isn't the best route runner, he's sloppy at the top and doesn't get separation on non-fly route as much as you'd think for a guy of his size/strength and athletic ability.  Those are the reasons he's not a first rounder, but he's someone I wouldn't mind in the 2nd or 3rd. 

I thought Stephen Hill was the Gholston of WRs?   

From CBS Sports:  

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Freakish blend of size, speed and strength. Reportedly has been clocked in the 4.3s in the 40-yard dash and this speed is apparent on the field.

He's strong enough to fight through press coverage and accelerates fluidly. Coates tracks the ball well over his shoulder and can pull away from defenders to capitalize when he has the ball. Explosive leaping ability.

He's unique in that Coates combines this speed with a muscle-packed frame that makes him every bit as likely to shove defenders to the ground as run away from them. He can extend and pluck fastballs outside of his frame and tracks the ball well over his shoulder. Malzahn's scheme calls for his receivers to block often and he is a physical and alert in this role.

WEAKNESSES: Doesn't explode out of his breaks consistently and simply isn't as reliable catching passes when working his way back to the quarterback. This is why has been more of a complementary threat to teammate Duke Williams, who is more reliable route-runner and pass-catcher.

Coates runs limited routes in Auburn's scheme (mostly verticals, quick outs and drags across the middle) and he could generate more separation by sinking his hips and exploding out of his cuts. He doesn't consistently sell his routes when the play calls for a run or if he thinks the pass is going another way. Occasionally he'll let an "easy" pass slip through his fingers.

IN OUR VIEW: While Coates remains a work in progress, NFL teams are frequently willing to gamble early picks on natural playmakers. He is a classic one-trick pony as a receiver. Blessed with mercurial speed for a receiver of his height and build, he might be the elite deep threat in college football.

--Rob Rang (12/4/14)

I think this is the kind of player who maybe available at 37 you have to consider because his ceiling is so high; I think worst case he he becomes a poor mans Alvin Harper.   Again, remember we have Marshall for at least 2 more years.  Coates is the perfect player to groom to replace him.... 

Na, Stephen Hill was just a stupid ass pick. No one thought highly of Stephen Hill the way people think of Sammie Coates. 

Sammie Coates is a powerful guy. Like a man amongst boys on the football field on Saturdays. Sundays that sh*t isn't going to work. He's going to need technique, a set of mitts to catch the football with and some nuances to his game. 

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's a work in progress. Saying that he is the Vernon Gholston of WR's could be a bit much, but im simply not excited over an athletic freak, which he is. He needs to show that he's a freakish WR and not just an athlete. That doesnt work for a WR as much as it may a CB (Patrick Peterson). At the end of the day you have to be able to run solid routes, mask your routes and have consistent hands. Sammie Coates doesnt seem to do or have any of that. You can't be a WR that accounts for almost 40% of your QB's incompletions in the first half of the season, have inconsistent hands and think that because you blew up Alabama for over 200 yards and 2 TD's at the end of the year that people are going to notice that half your TD total for the entire year came in that Alabama game and for the most part the stats on the year are suspect. 

If the Jets passed on him I simply would believe that there was a better WR or player in general out there. 

No one is sleeping on the guy, he just isn't as polished as some of the first rounders.  I live for SEC football and have seen this kid play probably more than most on the board and would love for the Jets to draft him, however, he definitely has some hangups; he isn't the best route runner, he's sloppy at the top and doesn't get separation on non-fly route as much as you'd think for a guy of his size/strength and athletic ability.  Those are the reasons he's not a first rounder, but he's someone I wouldn't mind in the 2nd or 3rd. 

Dude who said anything about taking him in the first?  The entire point of the thread is he may be available at 37 and if he is we should take him.  I mean that is the title of the thread.   Remember he doesn't have to be polished because he will be behind Marshall and Decker and can learn from them. 

Can only improve an offense so much if you don't have the QB. The best way is to go OL. Go OL in the 1st then OLB in the 2nd, or vice versa. WR can't help as much as a guard can in our situation. 

Brewer and Carpenter says hello.  You know, the two guards we just signed in FA? We can get a OL in round 3 or 4.  

If you're willing to deal with a Stephen Hill type height / weight / speed prospect with suspect hands

and a limited route tree Coates is your man.  There's no in between with him he's either going

to develop and be a stud or totally bust 

If you're willing to deal with a Stephen Hill type height / weight / speed prospect with suspect hands

and a limited route tree Coates is your man.  There's no in between with him he's either going

to develop and be a stud or totally bust 

Hill's change of direction speed/ability with the ball in his hands were dreadful in college too. Not the case with Coates.

Based on our needs and the strengths of this draft the sensical value positions and rounds match up:

Round 1: OLB (Fowler, Gregrory, Ray, Beasley)

Round 2: WR (Green-Beckham, Smith, Dorsett Periman, Coates)

Round 3: RB (Ajayi, Abdullah, Yeldon, Duke)

There will be good value at each pick at these specific positions.

Archived