The Most Underrated Receiver in this Draft Should be Available at 37

JetBlue

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're willing to deal with a Stephen Hill type height / weight / speed prospect with suspect hands

and a limited route tree Coates is your man.  There's no in between with him he's either going

to develop and be a stud or totally bust 

Come on stop, you have no way to prove that statement.  This either he is a stud or dud, nonsense is just that nonsense.  

Jesus. The insight you bring to all the threads you participate in.

I try....  especially when some poster insists we need guards when we just signed TWO of them including a 26 year old starter from one of last years Super Bowl team. The the real kicker is this "You need a QB, blah, blah..." seriously, even Captain Obvious is not that obvious or oblivious. 

I try....  especially when some poster insists we need guards when we just signed TWO of them including a 26 year old starter from one of last years Super Bowl team. The the real kicker is this "You need a QB, blah, blah..." seriously, even Captain Obvious is not that obvious or oblivious. 

Oh, I forgot every depth signing we bring aboard is guaranteed a roster spot. Brewer is garbage and won't be on the team unless he miraculously learns how to play his position and not suck at it. These are depth signings. No guarantee either of them start. Not to mention there's two guard positions up for grabs, with no clear winner for either.  

He's the most underrated. That said - I could see a case for Greene being the most underrated.

He will be good player but most underrated?  I don't think so.  HIs upside is no where near as high as Coates or even Conley for that matter. 

Oh, I forgot every depth signing we bring aboard is guaranteed a roster spot. Brewer is garbage and won't be on the team unless he miraculously learns how to play his position and not suck at it. These are depth signings. No guarantee either of them start. Not to mention there's two guard positions up for grabs, with no clear winner for either.  

I am sure they will continue to address our offensive line in the draft and if the best player available in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round is an olineman they will probably take one all things being equal.  Carpenter is NOT a depth signing if you think that you are simply not paying attention.   The point of THIS thread is the most underrated Wide Receiver, NOT offensive lineman ok? 

I am sure they will continue to address our offensive line in the draft and if the best player available in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round is an olineman they will probably take one all things being equal.  Carpenter is NOT a depth signing if you think that you are simply not paying attention.   The point of THIS thread is the most underrated Wide Receiver, NOT offensive lineman ok? 

There's a draft forum, ya know

I would rather not draft Stephen Hill 1.5

Coates is a GIANT if... And we should go with either Smith or Phillips if our #6 isn't Wide out. Hardy is a nice look too.. All guys with greats hands is the key. The 4.2 speed is a luxery we need someone who can catch.   

It might be a moot point because guess who was at his Pro Day?  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476139/article/bill-belichick-watches-sammie-coates-closely-at-au-pro-day

He will be good player but most underrated?  I don't think so.  HIs upside is no where near as high as Coates or even Conley for that matter. 

Upside is cornball stuff for the most part THO. I don't like Conley because I think he's going to blossom into a #1 WR, but rather because he has some competence for the position. Coates just sounds like an Edwards/Stallworth type...if you're not letting them go deep they become impractical for your offense.

Upside is cornball stuff for the most part THO. I don't like Conley because I think he's going to blossom into a #1 WR, but rather because he has some competence for the position. Coates just sounds like an Edwards/Stallworth type...if you're not letting them go deep they become impractical for your offense.

Exactly. Good route runners with good hands get it done. Maybe that's why Cooper or White are projected to be the first wide out gone.

So rookies can't improve their route running; I see.  He automatically is a Edwards or Stallworth "type" as you say.  You spend an awful amount of time labeling players, lol.   But I will play along; I tell you what if he is a young Braylon Edwards without the baggage I would be okay with that.   BTW upside might be "cornball' stuff (whatever the hell that means) but most teams look for players who have it.   I understand your point about Conley, but I truly think you are short changing Coates as a receiver.  

Exactly. Good route runners with good hands get it done. Maybe that's why Cooper or White are projected to be the first wide out gone.

Route running can be taught, that is what coaching is for.   There are a lot of very good receivers in this draft and some of them may even be around in the 3rd or 4th rounds.   Every year you have players drafted in the 2nd, 3rd rounds etc, who outplay their first round counterparts.   My entire point is receivers, in this case Coates, should be around for our 2nd round pick.  By that very reason, who ever we pick will have a flaw or two otherwise they wouldn't be available.   

Route running can be taught, that is what coaching is for. There are a lot of very good receivers in this draft and some of them may even be around in the 3rd or 4th rounds. Every year you have players drafted in the 2nd, 3rd rounds etc, who outplay their first round counterparts. My entire point is receivers, in this case Coates, should be around for our 2nd round pick. By that very reason, who ever we pick will have a flaw or two otherwise they wouldn't be available.

My point being... Sammie is way to big of an IF. White and Cooper aren't. We should be done wasting 1st and 2nd round picks on project players. On IFS. This is where you say every draft pick is an IF.. But that's why you scout you find out which pick is a safer bet and in my opinion and a lot of others... Its not worth 2nd round chance. a 3rd would be a different story.

My point being... Sammie is way to big of an IF. White and Cooper aren't. We should be done wasting 1st and 2nd round picks on project players. On IFS. This is where you say every draft pick is an IF.. But that's why you scout you find out which pick is a safer bet and in my opinion and a lot of others... Its not worth 2nd round chance. a 3rd would be a different story.

I see your point; I feel comfortable with it because we don't need him to come in and start because we have Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.  This to me, will allow him to continue to develop his game, his route running, etc. Chan will find ways to use playmaking ability.  I just don't see too many players with his ability that will be around.  We have Evans and Enunwa will be coming back also so I personally would be okay with adding Coates to that mix;  but I do understand your concern.  

Coates is not the most under-rated WR prospect in the draft, not even close.  He may actually be over-rated at this point.   

Just watch the tape, Auburn runs a spread offense, with very good efficiency, and his stats are very mediocre.  His best asset is his speed down the field for his size, but he has very inconsistent hands, mediocre route running, and disappears for long stretches of the game.  This is a guy that should be dominating in a spread offense, the perfect one on one mismatch guy, and he wasn't anything close to that.   When I first started to watch the games of these WRs (and basically just following what main stream media was saying), I had him in the late first, early 2nd area.  But I would knock him down to the 3rd at this point.  I think I would rather have Connley than Coates at this point, just from the tapes alone.  

I think the most underrated guy is actually Nelson Agolohor.  I don't think he has No.1 upside, but he is going to be a very good No. 2, and he fits our team extremely well.  He's a good PR/KR, can play extremely well out of the slot, can be the speed guy down the field, runs pretty good routes, catches the ball in traffic, and has college production.   

Route running can be taught, that is what coaching is for.   There are a lot of very good receivers in this draft and some of them may even be around in the 3rd or 4th rounds.   Every year you have players drafted in the 2nd, 3rd rounds etc, who outplay their first round counterparts.   My entire point is receivers, in this case Coates, should be around for our 2nd round pick.  By that very reason, who ever we pick will have a flaw or two otherwise they wouldn't be available.   

I think it is dangerous to constantly go back to "that is what coaching is for"  If coaching were going to work, why wouldn't it work with a guy like HIll?  He was a hard worker.  This guy is coming from a big time program .  Coaching is going to correct minor mistakes, but generally,  if these kids were so open to good coaching they would not have obvious deficiencies at this level.

If you're willing to deal with a Stephen Hill type height / weight / speed prospect with suspect hands

and a limited route tree Coates is your man. There's no in between with him he's either going

to develop and be a stud or totally bust

Just like how I don't want a Qb who rarely ever had to make more than one read per passing play in college (Mariota) I don't want ANOTHER WR who didn't run a full route tree in college.

Been there, done that and got the t-shirt.

Dude who said anything about taking him in the first?  The entire point of the thread is he may be available at 37 and if he is we should take him.  I mean that is the title of the thread.   Remember he doesn't have to be polished because he will be behind Marshall and Decker and can learn from them. 

Why should we take him in the 2nd round? We have more urgent needs to address depending on our #1 pick.  Seems word is Big Mac will develop this team and draft picks on BPA.  Still, Jets have glaring holes on OL, QB, OLB, RB before picking a project like Coates. Yes Coates is a project and is unpolished as a WR. To many BETTER players will be available at 37 which fulfill our most dire needs like Petty, Gordon, Fisher, Gurley, Flowers,  Kikaha, Howard.....etc etc.

Why should we take him in the 2nd round? We have more urgent needs to address depending on our #1 pick.  Seems word is Big Mac will develop this team and draft picks on BPA.  Still, Jets have glaring holes on OL, QB, OLB, RB before picking a project like Coates. Yes Coates is a project and is unpolished as a WR. To many BETTER players will be available at 37 which fulfill our most dire needs like Petty, Gordon, Fisher, Gurley, Flowers,  Kikaha, Howard.....etc etc.

You make solid points and I can't really disagree you. I will be interested to see where he is drafted and what kind of career he has. If he slips to the third I hope we grab him.

I think it is dangerous to constantly go back to "that is what coaching is for"  If coaching were going to work, why wouldn't it work with a guy like HIll?  He was a hard worker.  This guy is coming from a big time program .  Coaching is going to correct minor mistakes, but generally,  if these kids were so open to good coaching they would not have obvious deficiencies at this level.

Can we please stop comparing every freaking body to Hill? Coates is a much better receiver then Hill. Not saying Coates should be the pick but can we evaluate a player on their own merits first for change?

Coates is not the most under-rated WR prospect in the draft, not even close.  He may actually be over-rated at this point.   

Just watch the tape, Auburn runs a spread offense, with very good efficiency, and his stats are very mediocre.  His best asset is his speed down the field for his size, but he has very inconsistent hands, mediocre route running, and disappears for long stretches of the game.  This is a guy that should be dominating in a spread offense, the perfect one on one mismatch guy, and he wasn't anything close to that.   When I first started to watch the games of these WRs (and basically just following what main stream media was saying), I had him in the late first, early 2nd area.  But I would knock him down to the 3rd at this point.  I think I would rather have Connley than Coates at this point, just from the tapes alone.  

I think the most underrated guy is actually Nelson Agolohor.  I don't think he has No.1 upside, but he is going to be a very good No. 2, and he fits our team extremely well.  He's a good PR/KR, can play extremely well out of the slot, can be the speed guy down the field, runs pretty good routes, catches the ball in traffic, and has college production.

Well his combine performance definitely didn't help him.

Archived