No Compensatory Picks = No Surprise for Jets

32EBoozer

Erik from @JetsTwit retweeted

dom cosentino ‏@domcosentino · 10h10 hours ago

Jets getting no compensatory picks. No surprise. Lost OT Austin Howard in free agency last year, added WR Eric Decker and OT Breno Giacomini

A total of 32 compensatory choices in the upcoming 2015 NFL Draft have been awarded to 14 teams, the NFL announced Monday at the NFL Annual Meeting in Arizona.

Under the rules, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks. The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four.

The 2015 NFL Draft takes place April 30 through May 2 and will be televised live on NFL Network.

Here are the teams receiving compensatory picks this year, with the round and overall number of each pick:

Kansas City Chiefs: 3rd round (98), 5th round (172), 5th round (173), 6th round (217)

Denver Broncos: 4th round (133), 6th round (208), 7th round (250), 7th round (251)

Seattle Seahawks: 4th round (134), 5th round (170), 6th round (209), 6th round (214)

Baltimore Ravens: 4th round (136), 5th round (171), 5th round (175)

Houston Texans: 5th round (174), 6th round (211), 6th round (216)

New England Patriots: 3rd round (97), 7th round (253)

Cincinnati Bengals: 3rd round (99), 4th round (135)

San Francisco 49ers: 4th round (132), 7th round (254)

Carolina Panthers: 5th round (169), 6th round (213)

Green Bay Packers: 6th round (210), 6th round (212)

St. Louis Rams: 6th round (215)

Pittsburgh Steelers: 7th round (252)

Indianapolis Colts: 7th round (255)

Arizona Cardinals: 7th round (256)

The NE 3rd is for Talib. They are some smart bastards over there in NE, you have to hand it to them. They lose a pro bowl corner in Talib, they actually upgrade by adding Revis, they get a 3rd for losing Talib and next year they'll be getting another 3rd for Revis.

The NE 3rd is for Talib. They are some smart bastards over there in NE, you have to hand it to them. They lose a pro bowl corner in Talib, they actually upgrade by adding Revis, they get a 3rd for losing Talib and next year they'll be getting another 3rd for Revis.

If they don't pick up the option, are they still entitled to a Comp pick?

I don't think NE gets a pick from Revis. He was under contract for 2015 and they cut him. If he wasn't under contract (if it was a1 year deal with a team option in he strictest sense) they wouldn't have been able to amortize his 2014 pay over 2 years.

I could be wrong but that wouldn't make much sense. A true 1 year contract where he's a FA the next season, all his 2014 pay would have had to hit their 2014 cap (and it didn't).

I don't think NE gets a pick from Revis. He was under contract for 2015 and they cut him. If he wasn't under contract (if it was a1 year deal with a team option in he strictest sense) they wouldn't have been able to amortize his 2014 pay over 2 years.

I could be wrong but that wouldn't make much sense. A true 1 year contract where he's a FA the next season, all his 2014 pay would have had to hit their 2014 cap (and it didn't).

They didn't cut him, his contract just ran up, they didn't pick up his option. He signed a 1yr deal with an option for a 2nd year. Revis, Maxwell, Julius Thomas & Suh are 3rd round locks next year.

Every contract is a team option in every subsequent year. Revis was due additional guaranteed $ if they didn't cut him by a certain time/date. That doesn't make it really a 1 year deal.

It was a 2 year deal and they cut him after 1. Teams don't carry dead cap hits for players they lose to free agency.

Sperm, they didn't cut him. It was a team option. Similar to the 5th year option with 1st round picks. If you don't make use of that option you don't cut the player, his contract just runs up like any other contract and he becomes a free agent. You can look over all the projected comp. draft pick lists for next year, Revis is included in all of them.

Yes the deal was structured this way, It protected the pats not getting a comp pick, while it eliminated the possibility of Revis playing for the tag About 13 mill this year.

Same thing with Wilfork and Browner, it is the way the pats structure deals. Neither were cut, thier options were just not exercised.

technically, they didn't "cut" him.  They elected to not pick up his option.  I can't remember where I read it, but it was a reliable article, that in this circumstance NE will get a comp pick for Revis.  In all likelihood, a 3rd round comp pick or at least a 4th in 2016.

Play nice kids. Well OK , it is not like you cited this as another example of the pats cheating and skirting the rules.

Not at all.  It was a very smart way to to structure Revis' contract.  Credit, where credit is due.

But the other side of the coin still holds...  yes, I'm willing to praise NE for being smart there, but it is still a serious concern that NE cheats/skirts rules/whatever you want to label it in so many different ways,damaging the integrity of the sport while always seeking an illicit unfair advantage.  Belichick is smart, but also he is one of the most morally corrupt people in the NFL.  

Not at all.  It was a very smart way to to structure Revis' contract.  Credit, where credit is due.

But the other side of the coin still holds...  yes, I'm willing to praise NE for being smart there, but it is still a serious concern that NE cheats/skirts rules/whatever you want to label it in so many different ways,damaging the integrity of the sport while always seeking an illicit unfair advantage.  Belichick is smart, but also he is one of the most morally corrupt people in the NFL.  

He is the HC of the football team I follow, I don't care if people may feel he is morally corrupt, he coaches millionaires for a billionaire for one of the most powerful corporations in the world.  I loved Hagler as a boxer, if he lost a point for giving a guy a late hit, never fazed me.  He is not coaching my kids or grand kids.  I don't care if he cheated on his wife, or he looks for an edge. I applaud him for it. Am I supposed to be embarrassed, that he ran plays where a player who is normally eligible was not.

When Rex, called the ref over and told him the Spikes Had his hand on the guy in front of him on a field goal kick, which was disallowed earlier that year in the rule commitee, and was never enforced before or since, BB did not call foul, he complimented Rex on knowing the rule in his press conference. Even though it gave the jets a first down and to eventually score.

technically, they didn't "cut" him.  They elected to not pick up his option.  I can't remember where I read it, but it was a reliable article, that in this circumstance NE will get a comp pick for Revis.  In all likelihood, a 3rd round comp pick or at least a 4th in 2016.

I've read that myself, but from the way I'm looking at it cutting and failing to exercise an option is a distinction without a difference. All contract years are successive team options in a sense. My question is if the league doesn't consider an option year to be part of the contract then how was NE able to spread the Revis 2014 signing bonus over 2 years?

You spread a signing bonus over the life of the contract (or up to 6 years or whatever the maximal limit is now) not for the life of the contract plus however many more years you'd like to spread it over. If it's a 1 year contract you can't spread it over 2 or 3 or 4 years. Or at least one shouldn't be able to do that.

Otherwise every 1 year contract should be written as a 1 year contract with a team option for X additional years (however much of the present compensation the team wants to push to the following season). If they want to put $5M to next year, then make it a $10M SB and make it a team option for 1 more year. If they want to put $8M to next year, still make it a $10M SB but make it a team option to kick in 4 additional years.

If it is a permitted loophole then every GM who doesn't do this - and hasn't done this - with EVERY 1 year contract, and every multi-year contract that's effectively a 1-year contract, is an unbridled fool. Even on a show-me contract, year 2 can be any bloated amount that the player hopes to achieve by showing up significantly-enough in year 1.

In other words, if this practice is permitted, how could we give Cromartie a 4 year deal instead of a 1 year deal with successive 1-year options? Same with Gilchrist. Does Maccagnan just want to turn down potential compensatory picks the league is offering us?

I suppose we'll see next year how Revis gets counted, but I hate to wait that long. He's not the first player to not have an option exercised so if anyone has an example of how a pick has been awarded to a team that declined to exercise an option (like with Revis), I'd be very interested to see it.

It is a two year contract but the 2nd year is a team option. BB plays chess, other teams play checkers.

If it's a 2 year contract then calling it an option should be semantics. Cromartie's contract is a 4 year contract on paper but really it's a 1 year contract with a team option for longer.

Do you have an example of a team receiving a compensatory pick after declining a team option?

He is the HC of the football team I follow, I don't care if people may feel he is morally corrupt, he coaches millionaires for a billionaire for one of the most powerful corporations in the world.  I loved Hagler as a boxer, if he lost a point for giving a guy a late hit, never fazed me.  He is not coaching my kids or grand kids.  I don't care if he cheated on his wife, or he looks for an edge. I applaud him for it. Am I supposed to be embarrassed, that he ran plays where a player who is normally eligible was not.

When Rex, called the ref over and told him the Spikes Had his hand on the guy in front of him on a field goal kick, which was disallowed earlier that year in the rule commitee, and was never enforced before or since, BB did not call foul, he complimented Rex on knowing the rule in his press conference. Even though it gave the jets a first down and to eventually score.

How is that relevant to the Patriots always skirting/breaking NFL rules?  Rex didn't break a rule there.  The Pats clearly violate rules, bend rules, distort the intent of rules at every opportunity.  No team, none, are as flagrant and persistent in violating rules.  I can't imagine the number of rule violations committed by the Patriots that weren't as flagrant and that haven't even come to light.  Others just died a quiet death because they couldn't be proven, for example jamming the opponents helmet receivers and communication.  I have not a doubt that Belichick did that too.  I'm sure everyone would be horrified by what we don't know if it ever came to light.  There is a reason why Goodell burned the tapes while simultaneously penalizing the team with a forfeited draft pick and heavy fines to both the team and the HC.  Not saying the Pats are the only team to dabble in cheating.  They are just the champions of cheating.  

spygate1-214x300_display_image.jpg?12949

My interpretation, correct or otherwise, is that they call it an option mostly because after a certain date there are guarantees (either the whole year's compensation or bonus $ that's significant enough to effectively guarantee the season), that kick in early. That's what distinguishes it from a traditional 2 year deal with the 2nd year not-guaranteed: the earlier commitment to the additional year(s) that otherwise wouldn't kick in until the final roster is submitted at the end of the summer.

If there are examples of this then then I stand corrected. Of course it then also means every NFL contract with only partial guarantees is being written poorly; after the guaranteed $ runs out the team could (should) throw a nominal $10 in guarantees as a "team option" for the following season. If they pick up this "option" to preserve flexibility, and still cut the player later, it's no more harmful than if the clause wasn't in there (the only penalty is that nominal $10 loss in dead cap space). But if they DO cut the player before the option kicks in, they'd get a free compensatory pick for a player they're purely cutting no matter what name is attached to the process (provided the player is picked up by another team, of course).

By not having this, then it seems every player that's formally "cut" or "released" in a non-guaranteed season is effectively a potential compensatory draft pick surrendered due to GM stupidity and shortsightedness.

If it's a 2 year contract then calling it an option should be semantics. Cromartie's contract is a 4 year contract on paper but really it's a 1 year contract with a team option for longer.

Do you have an example of a team receiving a compensatory pick after declining a team option?

Donte Stalworth, the pats declined his option after the super bowl, pats got a 5th rounder. 

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2008/02/stallworth_free_go

FIFTH ROUND

San Francisco (Kwame Harris, $4.6667 million, 14/11)

New England (Donte Stallworth, $4.5393 million, 11/7)

Dallas (Jacques Reeves, $4 million, 16/16) – possibly a sixth-round pick

Tennessee (Travis LaBoy, $4.4 million, 13/12) – possibly a sixth-round pick

The pats Drafted George Bussey with the pick

The Ravens and Patriots are masters at this compensatory draft pick formula..  Its not cheating, its forethought, clever cap management and mastering contract deals.  They will have 2 threes next year as well (Revis and Wilfork).

It might not seem like much, but these picks really add up over time.  Most of the Pats Super Bowl roster was built out of a succession of picks in the 3rd round.  

Anyway, its just another reason why I don't believe in building teams through high value free agents that were not cut.  It's almost never a smart 'value' addition both for cap purposes, and for draft pick success.  Complain about Idzik all you want, but he understood this.  Its not necessarily a sexy strategy but imo it works better for long term success

The Ravens and Patriots are masters at this compensatory draft pick formula..  Its not cheating, its forethought, clever cap management and mastering contract deals.  They will have 2 threes next year as well (Revis and Wilfork).

It might not seem like much, but these picks really add up over time.  Most of the Pats Super Bowl roster was built out of a succession of picks in the 3rd round.  

Anyway, its just another reason why I don't believe in building teams through high value free agents that were not cut.  It's almost never a smart 'value' addition both for cap purposes, and for draft pick success.  Complain about Idzik all you want, but he understood this.  Its not necessarily a sexy strategy but imo it works better for long term success

Nothing for Wilfork, his comp gets canceled out by signing Sherard,. The will get a 6th for Browner and a 7th each for Vereen and Ayers, Cassias and Connolly are canceled by fletcher and McClain Unless both of those fall under the threshold of the comp contract value,. both only signed for 1.5 mill. While Cassias got 3 from the giants and Connoly will get that from the seahawks.

Sounds like a perfect question for Jason @ OTC. Doesn't seem right to me either Spermy.

I've read that myself, but from the way I'm looking at it cutting and failing to exercise an option is a distinction without a difference. All contract years are successive team options in a sense. My question is if the league doesn't consider an option year to be part of the contract then how was NE able to spread the Revis 2014 signing bonus over 2 years?

You spread a signing bonus over the life of the contract (or up to 6 years or whatever the maximal limit is now) not for the life of the contract plus however many more years you'd like to spread it over. If it's a 1 year contract you can't spread it over 2 or 3 or 4 years. Or at least one shouldn't be able to do that.

Otherwise every 1 year contract should be written as a 1 year contract with a team option for X additional years (however much of the present compensation the team wants to push to the following season). If they want to put $5M to next year, then make it a $10M SB and make it a team option for 1 more year. If they want to put $8M to next year, still make it a $10M SB but make it a team option to kick in 4 additional years.

If it is a permitted loophole then every GM who doesn't do this - and hasn't done this - with EVERY 1 year contract, and every multi-year contract that's effectively a 1-year contract, is an unbridled fool. Even on a show-me contract, year 2 can be any bloated amount that the player hopes to achieve by showing up significantly-enough in year 1.

In other words, if this practice is permitted, how could we give Cromartie a 4 year deal instead of a 1 year deal with successive 1-year options? Same with Gilchrist. Does Maccagnan just want to turn down potential compensatory picks the league is offering us?

I suppose we'll see next year how Revis gets counted, but I hate to wait that long. He's not the first player to not have an option exercised so if anyone has an example of how a pick has been awarded to a team that declined to exercise an option (like with Revis), I'd be very interested to see it.

Yeah apparently the use of the unprotected option bonus is qualifying teams for compensatory projections. Apparently the Patriots backed into this a few years ago with Donte Stallworth and its starting to be used more around the NFL. The Cowboys did it last year with Melton and again this year with Brinkley. I think a few others did it this year now too. By failing to exercise the option the contract simply voids as if it didnt exist. 

Wow....I was trying to think of who they lost to earn the highest comp pick for this draft....Talib didn't even cross my mind since they replaced him (actually upgraded) with Revis.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Seattle 4th Giacomini?

NE 3rd... Revis? Is that possible since they didn't pick up option?

KC nailed it!!! Wow!

I can't believe the 4th Seattle got was for Giacomini?!

Wonder who KC lost to get a 3rd? Can't be Flowers, I think he was cut....thinking it was a lineman?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Archived