JN Draftniks: Which one of you has the best track record?

Jetsfan80

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to remember after so many years, but I was 100% megahardon for Mangold, was very doubtful about Sanchez and Geno Smith.

Wasn't sure about Revis (big miss obviously) if I recall.

Most o fthe others, honestly, were pretty self-explanitory.  Only a derp would think the Ghosts and D-Robs of the world were going to work out for suresies.

I yelled " who the F is Sheldon Richardson " at my tv, wife still rips on me about it.

I hated this pick so hard.  I immediately went to the internet to see game film on him (lol) and after watching him vs alabama declared him too small and weak to play in the NFL

Sometimes when I think a player will be good and then he isn't, I feel like I personally ruined his life.

I too have this complex. I grew up completely and utterly obsessed with Doc Gooden and Daryl Strawberry. To the point that as a kid I used to write them letters. All my little league numbers were 16 or 18.

I hated this pick so hard. I immediately went to the internet to see game film on him (lol) and after watching him vs alabama declared him too small and weak to play in the NFL

Lol, I remember thinking, ok at least we didn't draft Geno Smith...little did we know what was looming 24 hours later.

Been picking players for the draft for many, many years. My success has been uncanny like Montana, Rice, Gastineau, and recently J.J. Watt. My best knack is the ones you don't want  is where I shine. I hated Sanchez signing and said it many times and with Geno this was another disaster signing. Anyone watch the Pinstripe bowl? Milner was an injury waiting to be an injury and Mcdougle was his clone.  I hated many players that the Jets have drafted in the past and there have been many such as Kyle Brady and Johnny Lam Jones who was a track star and not a football player. Last year I gave you my analysis of players who were 1st round worthy. An example was my first four receivers were Watkins, Evans, Beckham,Jr. , Cooks and Paul Richardson and Jordan Mathews right behind them. I will give you update evaluations.     

I too have this complex. I grew up completely and utterly obsessed with Doc Gooden and Daryl Strawberry. To the point that as a kid I used to write them letters. All my little league numbers were 16 or 18.

That was the one time even Yankee fans thought being a Mets fan was cool.

I don't think I'm that good, don't really put the time necessary in it to be good as some of the folks around the internet.  I try to follow specific positions like WR, CB, QB, LBs because you can see the tapes and see for yourself what they are supposed to do, and if they succeed or not to a certain extent.   

2014 Hits:

Beckham Jr

Moncrief (I'm not quite sure if it's a hit, but I love his potential and with more playing time would be a monster)

De'Anthony Thomas

Mike Evans

Anthony Barr

Miss:

Eric Ebron-  I thought he would make more of an impact, really liked what I saw from him on tape in terms of catching the ball and YAC.

Jordan Mathews-  He went to Vandy, so I saw him play a lot, but always seemed like he never got enough separation for someone with his timed speed.  

John Brown-  I thought he was a gadget player that wouldn't really make that much of an impact

Henry Josey-  I figured he was a deep sleeper, someone that was going to be a steal, and he missed badly.  

2013: Hits:

Alec Ogletree

I don't know if this is a hit or miss:  I liked Robert Woods coming out of USC to be a good No. 2, and I feel like he's borderline there maybe.  

Miss:  Hard plenty of these:  

Dion Jordan- Maybe he's being miscast, but I thought he'd be a great LB

Tavon Austin-  He looked amazing in college

Justin Hunter-  Probably my No. 1 overall WR in the draft, just hasn't lived up to it.  

Eddie Lacy-  I thought he was a product of the system at Alabama

Geno Smith- He had everything you wanted out of CB, except the head I guess.

Baccari Rambo-  He stood out on tape, but never really seemed to translate well to the NFL

I thought and still do believe the Geno pick was a smart one with the information available at the time. Was a wise risk of a 2nd round pick. And this coming from someone who thinks he is dog sh*t. What is not smart is staying committed to a player after it is obvious he sucks.

Except if you allow for the situation he was in, and the fact he improved dramatically at the end of the last 2 seasons when Rex f,ed around with the offense less, it is not obvious Geno sucks

Except if you allow for the situation he was in, and the fact he improved dramatically at the end of the last 2 seasons when Rex f,ed around with the offense less, it is not obvious Geno sucks

i'd like to see end of the year garbage time improvement carry over to games that matter the next season before changing my opinion that he is a lost cause.

I'm curious to see which of you guys have done the best at predicting the future success of players.

We all know Shane was way wrong about Matt Leinart, but he's been correct about others too.  Meanwhile, Villain appears to have correctly pounded the drum on Jordan Matthews.  Gato has had his good and bad moments.  Same with Hess and countless others.

Post your successes and failures in prognostication here.  Be honest, the internet is forever.  We know where you've failed.

My successes:

Jordan Matthews (2014 Final Mock Draft) Was my #1 WR of the draft.

Phillip Gaines (2014 Final Mock Draft) Was my #1 CB of the draft.

Joel Bitonio (2014 Final Mock Draft) Probowl caliber player his rookie season.

Jarvis Landry: I said he had the best hands of all WR's and would have even took him in the first round. Well, he had the 2nd best hands and 2nd most catches by a rookie WR behind his teammate Odell Beckham Jr (Odell 91 catches, Landry 84 catches). He still was a beast for the Dolphins, so much so that they just scrapped their entire WR corp because they believe that he will contribute in that system.

Alec Olgetree (2013 Final Mock Draft) Tackling machine since entering the league

Ryan Nassib (2013 Final Mock Draft) Yes he's a back up, but last years preseason he had 5 consecutive come from behind victories for the Giants including an ass kicking he gave to the Jets. The Giants already have Manning's replacement. 

Eddie Lacy (2013 Final Mock Draft) ROTY and is currently one of the top running backs in the league.

Larry Warford (2013 Final Mock Draft) Starting guard for the Detroit lions

Alshon Jeffery (was considered my #1 player of the entire 2012 NFL draft outside of Andrew Luck) It was a bold suggestion, but outside of Luck, there is arguably no better player from that draft than Alshon Jeffery. Good fortune does in fact favor the bold. 

My failings: 

Muhammad Wilkerson: I didnt like the pick, though I never reviewed his game tape so that was just talking out of my ass. 

Russell Wilson: an old poster here, xVicious86x, was talking BIG TIME about Russell Wilson. I told him that Wilson wouldnt be better than Sanchez. Russell Wilson today is considered a top 5/top 7 type of QB by many people, including myself. Russell Wilson is a beast. Yet another guy that I spoke on yet never reviewed his college tape.

Odell Beckham Jr.: I didnt think he would bust, I just wasnt sure about taking him over Jordan Matthews. Odell Beckham blew up the league last year. That was a fail on my part. 

Kelvin Benjamin: I personally think that the jury is still out on this dude, however, he had a solid year for a Panthers team that had no WR's. He became a legit redzone threat and caught the ball better than I ever expected. 

Tavon Austin: I wanted the Jets to draft him, good thing we didnt. 

Calling Busts

Johnny Manziel: This one was easier than even I thought. Hope he gets his life together. 

Vernon Gholston: He looked like a body builder. He ended up being a body builder. 

My successes:

Jordan Matthews (2014 Final Mock Draft) Was my #1 WR of the draft

Phillip Gaines (2014 Final Mock Draft) Was my #1 CB of the draft.

Joel Bitonio (2014 Final Mock Draft)

Jarvis Landry: I said he had the best hands of all WR's and would have even took him in the first round. Well, he had the 2nd best hands and 2nd most catches by a rookie WR behind his teammate Odell Beckham Jr (Odell 91 catches, Landry 84 catches). He still was a beast for the Dolphins, so much so that they just scrapped their entire WR corp because they believe that he will contribute in that system.

Alec Olgetree (2013 Final Mock Draft) Tackling machine since entering the league

Ryan Nassib (2013 Final Mock Draft) Yes he's a back up, but last years preseason he had 5 consecutive come from behind victories for the Giants including an ass kicking he gave to the Jets. The Giants already have Manning's replacement.

Eddie Lacy (2013 Final Mock Draft) ROTY and is currently one of the top running backs in the league.

Larry Warford (2013 Final Mock Draft) Starting guard for the Detroit lions

Alshon Jeffery (was considered my #1 player of the entire 2012 NFL draft outside of Andrew Luck) It was a bold suggestion, but good fortune favors the bold.

My failings:

Muhammad Wilkerson: I didnt like the pick, though I never reviewed his game tape so that was just talking out of my ass.

Russell Wilson: an old poster here, xVicious86x, talking BIG TIME about Russell Wilson. I told him that Wilson wouldnt be better than Sanchez. Russell Wilson today is considered a top 5/top 7 type of QB by many people, including myself. Russell Wilson is a beast. Yet another guy that I spoke on yet never reviewed his college tape.

Odell Beckham Jr.: I didnt think he would bust, I just wasnt sure about taking im over Jordan Matthews. Odell Beckham blew up the league last year. That was a fail on my part.

Kelvin Benjamin: I personally think that the jury is still out on this dude, however, he had a solid year for a Panthers team that had no WR's. He because a legit redzone threat and caught the ball better than I ever expected.

Tavon Austin: I wanted the Jets to draft him, good thing we didnt.

Calling Busts

Johnny Manziel: This one was easier than even I thought. Hope he gets his life together.

Vernon Gholston: He looked like a body builder. He ended up being a body builder.

You also lectured people who thought Geno was bad after a year that the only valid reason for thinking that was they didn't personally like him.

You also lectured people who thought Geno was bad after a year that the only valid reason for thinking that was they didn't personally like him.

I dont think Geno Smith is a bad as people make him out to be, and most of that is a mixture of bad coaching, SOJ mentality and emotional reaction (which I've even done). I think that Chan Gailey can prove Geno Smith in a spread offense to be a player in the league. I do think that there are better options out there for that spread offense which is Glennon, but overall I didnt have the belief in coaching staff to develop Geno Smith given what I seen with Mark Sanchez. 

I dont think Geno Smith is a bad as people make him out to be, and most of that is a mixture of bad coaching, SOJ mentality and emotional reaction (which I've even done). I think that Chan Gailey can prove Geno Smith in a spread offense to be a player in the league. I do think that there are better options out there for that spread offense which is Glennon, but overall I didnt have the belief in coaching staff to develop Geno Smith given what I seen with Mark Sanchez. 

Coaching staffs can't develop bad QB's.  Lone exception:  Harbaugh-Alex Smith.

Fitzpatrick or bust in '15!

I only really follow the QBs.  I'd say my biggest hit has been Drew Brees.  Really liked him coming out of Purdue.  Biggest miss was Brady Quinn.  I felt the same way about Quinn that everyone felt about Andrew Luck a few years ago.  Was relieved when Miami left him on the board.

A month ago you were complaining that we needed anyone but Geno because he's terrible.

A month ago you were complaining that we needed anyone but Geno because he's terrible.

And today Im telling you that Chan Gailey can get more out of Geno if in fact Geno is the starter as it seems its going to be. A month ago I felt that there was an opportunity to get a QB that does well despite the incompetency of the Coaching staff, which was Glennon. Maybe my words (Cant remember the Quote) was a bit extra. The bottomline is that I do believe that Chan Gailey is a Coach that will get whatever is in a Player though development and playcalling/scheme. My Statement is a compliment to the Coach.

It doesnt seem like we're going to get Glennon, and I answered your question based on what you presented. If it seems contradictory, the best Thing that I can say is, sorry i've disappointed you.

So I'm about to make my 4th round pick in our JN mock draft. Watch and learn boys.

Also, you tube works. *middle fingers

Smith is a good pick up in the 4th round.  Nice.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Except the pick he was bragging on was Ramik Wilson to the Texans.  He picked Smith for the Rams three picks later and two before I was going to scoop him for the Steelers.

Archived