In the event Leonard Williams were to fall to 6

Matt39

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posed this Q on the draft forum weeks ago and got all sorts of weird answers.  I would probably  take him but you would have to lay out the 1st 5 picks for me 1st of all before I would totally commit.  Right now it seems like a terrible thing to draft guys in positions that are already very strong, two years from now no one gives a sh*t about it when the guy is a perennial pro bowler.

Yes,

1) You try and trade down if you can

2) if you simply don't have time to make a trade happen - you draft him at the moment and try and trade him and recoup picks

3) You keep him...

But if he's there and the 2 QB's and 2 WR's are gone then you have to take him....

Yes,

1) You try and trade down if you can

2) if you simply don't have time to make a trade happen - you draft him at the moment and try and trade him and recoup picks

3) You keep him...

But if he's there and the 2 QB's and 2 WR's are gone then you have to take him....

Wait... so you have a young Peyton Manning as your QB and you have Andrew Luck available at your pick. You can't make a viable trade. Do you take him? Opportunity cost of BPA no matter what is not a viable strategy.

Wait... so you have a young Peyton Manning as your QB and you have Andrew Luck available at your pick. You can't make a viable trade. Do you take him? Opportunity cost of BPA no matter what is not a viable strategy.

Even if you don't draft straight BPA, you take Andrew Luck.  Every ******* time.  Twice on Sundays.  Who would you take instead?  You don't want a QB, so that lets out WIlson, Tannehill and Griffin.  Ashlon Jeffery?  Luke Keuchly?  Matt Khalil?   Or do you want one of the other studs available, like Coples, Blackmon, Clairborne. Richardson, or Barron?

There is a cost to picking a player at a position where you have no need, but there is also a cost at leaving a can't miss player on the board.

You have Mo wilkerson on your team along with Damon Harrison and you just drafted Qunton Coples.  do you really want to draft someone named Sheldon richardson?  not viable.

You have Mo wilkerson on your team along with Damon Harrison and you just drafted Qunton Coples.  do you really want to draft someone named Sheldon richardson?  not viable.

I didn't say that it should never be done. I'm just arguing the point that you ALWAYS take BPA regardless of the extremity of need. If the drop off is incredible to the next best player, I get it, but if there's a few point differential and the next guy would improve your team immediately, it would be hard to make the case for pure BPA. And by the way Richardson was more usable out of the gate than we knew. Rex saw that.

I didn't say that it should never be done. I'm just arguing the point that you ALWAYS take BPA regardless of the extremity of need. If the drop off is incredible to the next best player, I get it, but if there's a few point differential and the next guy would improve your team immediately, it would be hard to make the case for pure BPA. And by the way Richardson was more usable out of the gate than we knew. Rex saw that.

Good move?  Rex move!  Bad move?  Idzik move!

Ha ha, I see what you did there.

I don't see him getting past the Redskins - I mean if both QB's go and the Jags and Raiders take the top 2 wr's, the Skins will run to the podium and take Williams

- regardless he's the Jags pick      

Bucs - Winston

Titans - Mariota

Jags - Williams

Raiders - White

Skins - Fowler

Jets - Cooper

For a QB like Rivers and a pick!

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports it would take "multiple first-round picks" for the Chargers to trade Philip Rivers.
Rapsheet's report is via ""several sources with the Chargers." Rapsheet emphasizes that the team doesn't want to trade Rivers, but that it hasn't explicitly said he won't be dealt. The Bolts recently approached Rivers about an extension, but were rebuffed. Rivers is on public record as wanting to play out his deal, and says there's "nothing" that could change his mind. Multiple first-rounders would indeed be the going rate for a quarterback of Rivers' ilk, even at age 33

Yesssss. As awesomely equivalent as trading Revis to draft Milliner!!!

not even close, IMO.  Milliner was never a sure bet and had an atrocious list of surgeries/injuries. Williams is about the most solid player in the entire draft.  

I love Wilk.  But he tends to be overrated by Jets fans. And he's going to be expensive.  Williams on a rookie deal for 4 years vs paying Wilk a king's ransom?  Come on.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports it would take "multiple first-round picks" for the Chargers to trade Philip Rivers.

Rapsheet's report is via ""several sources with the Chargers." Rapsheet emphasizes that the team doesn't want to trade Rivers, but that it hasn't explicitly said he won't be dealt. The Bolts recently approached Rivers about an extension, but were rebuffed. Rivers is on public record as wanting to play out his deal, and says there's "nothing" that could change his mind. Multiple first-rounders would indeed be the going rate for a quarterback of Rivers' ilk, even at age 33

I wouldn't do multiple 1st rounders but I'm very curious if the Jets will make some draft trade regarding Wilkerson...

not even close, IMO.  Milliner was never a sure bet and had an atrocious list of surgeries/injuries. Williams is about the most solid player in the entire draft.  

I love Wilk.  But he tends to be overrated by Jets fans. And he's going to be expensive.  Williams on a rookie deal for 4 years vs paying Wilk a king's ransom?  Come on.

Wiilkerson's big contract plus an OLB on a rookie deal for 4 years is not bad though.

yea yea yea and throw in some animal crackers too.  Next year he is a free agent and they get NOTHING more than a crummy comp pick. Rivers is in the driver's seat and Chargers can talk all the smack they want but in the end I see him getting traded. He wants one last big contract and it doesn't look like the Chargers are offering a viable extension to his liking.  If they're not going to meet his demands they should take what they can get NOW because next year they get to see him in another uniform.         

yea yea yea and throw in some animal crackers too.  Next year he is a free agent and they get NOTHING more than a crummy comp pick. Rivers is in the driver's seat and Chargers can talk all the smack they want but in the end I see him getting traded. He wants one last big contract and it doesn't look like the Chargers are extending and renegotiating his contract.  If they're not extending his contract, they should take what they can get NOW.         

I want you to be right very badly. Are you good at being right about things?

Archived